✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Ask the Oracle on Coldplay.com (Now in session!)

twistedlogic149

January 26, 2012 - submitted by Mark, United Kingdom[/color][/b]

Q. Hi Oracle, I am the drummer in Viva La Coldplay (A Coldplay Tribute Band from Liverpool/Manchester). I was recently given a pair of Will's drumsticks (well used) and as a prized possession I wanted to make sure these are Will's (given to me after a show), so my question is could you tell me what sticks Will uses and are they modified in any way? I've searched the internet with little joy! As a second part to my question, how often would will change his sticks? Kind regards Mark.

The Oracle replies:

Bash - Will's drum tech - told me that Will uses Pro Mark 5b American Hickory wood tips. He gets through 4 or 5 per show. Sometimes they may paint a pair but there are no other modifications.

In October, Bash gave me a drumstick from Will's supply.

DSC_3594.jpg

DSC_3595.jpg

January 27, 2012 - submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

Q. WHO'D LIKE TO JOIN TEAM ORACLE?

When I answer questions of a personal nature, Coldplay.com readers often get in touch with their own thoughts. So, we now have a weekly feature, Team Oracle, whereby each Friday (with the question asker's permission) we open up a question to all of you to answer too. Then, the following Friday, I'll post a selection of the best answers, alongside my own reply.

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before Thursday 2nd February.

Oh, Oracle, I need you (and who ever else is willing)'s help. My life is in shambles, I'm trying to pick up the pieces. My teachers hate me. My grades are in the toilet, even though I have an estimated IQ of around 160, and I can't go one day without getting yelled at by my parents or teachers. I was kicked off my school duties when a teacher overreacted, I'm constantly in trouble for things I don't do, I'm confused, about love, life, and everything else. Please help, I just need to know, what should I do? Life advice, jokes, humor, anything, I just need some help.

Thanks.

Liam

P.S. I have tickets to see Coldplay in Chicago in August, and I love them, but I'm so sad I'm having trouble even getting excited about that.

Look forward to seeing your replies.

The Oracle.

The Oracle replies:

Please email your replies to [email protected]

That is 5A thought :thinking:

I have one too but it's 5B, like the one in the Oracle answer

I know...maybe he's changed sticks in the last few months? Bash pulled it out of Will's stick holder thing attached to his drum kit and handed it to me in October...Hmmm...

January 27, 2012 - submitted by Peyton, United States of America

Q. TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #56

Recently I decided to sign up for an audition for the Governors School for the Arts in Kentucky. This is a really amazing opportunity to work on my vision as an artist. Currently I'm working with new media, and in this I'm submitting a portfolio of photography. I thought it would be interesting to add a personal touch by using a specific Coldplay song as an inspiration. In the interviewing process we generally have to describe many things about ourselves and what inspires us most (which one of mine you can automatically assume is Coldplay).

I was just wondering what would be the best song/ album to get inspiration from. Thanks much, Peyton.

The Oracle replies:

Parachutes as an album has many options to choose from as it's full of hope. Everything's Not Lost would be my pick from that one. If I had to narrow it down to my top 3 inspirational Coldplay songs for such an interviewing process however, they would be Politik, Square One and How You See the World part ii. They each have themes and messages that could give you a plethora of material for your needs. Hope you find the right one for you. Over to you.

I'd have to say Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall is a good, inspiring song. It involves rebellion, is modern, has a happy beat, and brings to mind the rainbow colors of paint splatters and graffiti, like the cover of Mylo Xyloto. Tim.

As I'm also found of arts, I'll be happy if I can help you. To me the best song to get inspiration from would be Fix You because of the lyrics which are helping me everyday of my life. Those lines are my favorites because of their deep meaning.

"When you try your best, but you don't succeed When you get what you want, but not what you need" & "But if you never try you'll never know Just what you're worth" that is what gives me motivation. It's like a Maxim of Life to remember everyday. The album which are according to me the most Arty are Viva La Vida cause of the title which comes from a paint by Frida Kahlo and the album jacket which is about the French Revolution paint by Eugene DELACROIX La Liberte guidant le peuple. Mylo Xyloto cause of the Street Art and the White Rose Movement inspiration. Wish you to pass your exam and send you all my support from France, Delphine.

To me, every Coldplay song is inspirational in its own way. I have tried to pick a favourite one many times, but in the end, I just end up naming every song. Yet, especially for this, I somehow managed to narrow it down.

If I were you, I would have picked Paradise from Mylo Xyloto (which is also the album I would firstly recommend searching for inspiration from). Paradise, to me, is a song that can be interpreted in so many ways. Therefore, you have many different angles to draw inspiration from. The unique lyrics and fun, up-beat sound enables the song to, as they say, "turn a frown upside down". Why? Because it's energetic and can probably lift everyone out of a bad mood. Anyway, I believe that Paradise will help you find the inspiration you need. Why? Well, think about it: when you hear the word, doesn't it bring up a lot of thoughts? So I think using your own, personal definition of paradise and working from that is a good idea. In any case, I hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck! Best wishes, Medina.

I've always liked Don't Panic for its imagery, and Trouble, for its use of metaphors. Also, I think Swallowed in the Sea would be good as well. Liam.

Here are five Coldplay songs, rather than one that inspires me, and the piece of lyric from each one that I admire and love. Hope they can help with your quest, but only you can know what truly inspires you.

Hurts like heaven:

On every street every car every surface a name

Tonight the streets are ours

And we're writing and saying

Don't let 'em take control

No we won't let 'em take control.

Lost:

You might be a big fish

In a little pond

Doesn't mean you've won

'Cause along will come

A bigger one.

Twisted Logic:

Hundreds of years in the future

There could be computers

Looking for life on earth

Don't fight for the wrong side

Say what you feel like

Say how you feel.

Politik:

Look at earth from outer space

Everyone must find a place

Give me time and give me space

Give me real, don't give me fake.

We Never Change:

I wanna live life

And never be cruel

I wanna live life

And be good to you

And I wanna fly

And never come down

And live my life

And have friends around.

Best of luck, Jonathan.

Well I feel each song means something different to each person so I would pick a song that means a lot to you personally. For me, its a bit difficult to pick just one Coldplay song, or even album, but I'll say Mylo Xyloto. I feel the entire album is about overcoming challenges from relationships or even internal struggles. Not to mention how the band have grown over the years and this album really shows it. A lot of their older songs which I love seem to cry with me, but MX wipes my tears. Good luck with your interview! Love, Darem.

You should use Viva la Vida for inspiration. The music is amazing and the art, well, phenomenal. As for a song to use from the album, you should pick whichever one you like the most. Which lyrics are the most unique, which song has the best music? It's up to you, and all of the songs are great! I'm not sure if I was a big help, but I hope you got a few ideas. Hope I could help! Clare.

First off, you should have inspiration behind the photographs because you already took them! Honestly, I don't see why you're asking us for something so personal as your own inspiration! If you are still unsure, keep it simple. You should find a common theme or feeling that runs through your photographs, and choose a Coldplay song that fits that same feeling. I could go on forever about Coldplay's catalog, but I think the album Viva La Vida is the album that showed the world that Coldplay defies expectations and proves they are capable of so much more which is the same way you want to present yourself to the interviewer! Best of luck! Blake.

Thanks to all who sent in their replies. If you'd like to take part in this week's Team Oracle, click to read this week's question, and send us your answer.

I know...maybe he's changed sticks in the last few months? Bash pulled it out of Will's stick holder thing attached to his drum kit and handed it to me in October...Hmmm...

Mine is from Wembley 2009, maybe he uses the 5A when they play in small place, yours is from when they were at KROQ right? This is the only reason I can think of

Mine is from Wembley 2009, maybe he uses the 5A when they play in small place, yours is from when they were at KROQ right? This is the only reason I can think of

I did get it at KROQ. Don't think there is a smaller venue possible - it was the size of my living room. Who knew there were so many drumstick options? :laugh3: Maybe I'll get another one to complete my set at Club Nokia in two weeks. :drummer:

January 30, 2012 - submitted by Karl, Lebanon

Q. Dear Oracle who never answers my questions, on the demo cassette tape of Ode to Deodorant is written the number of Phil Harvey the fifth member of Coldplay since the demo was sent to promoters.

Does he still have the same number?

The Oracle replies:

To be honest I didn't reply because I assumed that if you wanted a quick answer, you'd have just called the number?

No, Phil changed his number years ago. He sent it as he was their manager at the time.

January 30, 2012 - submitted by Maria P, United States of America

Q. I'm just curious after all the travel who from the band is the one that wants to practice less than usual? After a while!! Lol.

The Oracle replies:

They all like a decent amount of downtime before they get back into the studio especially after a long tour. To answer the question, other than Chris - who is the first to get into writing etc. I'd say it's a pretty close run thing but maybe Guy, by a tiny bit.

January 30, 2012 - submitted by Jean, Puerto Rico

Q. Dear Oracle, my question is: Why haven't the boys played U.F.O., Don't Let It Break Your Heart and Up With The Birds live? They are part of the album and I feel as if they've been left out, please answer, back to you now.

The Oracle replies:

They have never played all the songs from an album. I'm pretty sure there was one song from each of the first four albums left out (Parachutes from Parachutes, A Whisper from AROBTTH, Twisted Logic from X&Y and Reign of Love from Viva la Vida).

I guess being part of an album doesn't necessarily mean part of a tour is a given. Some songs just don't work live or don't fit into the setlist.

I think your question could be changed to why haven't the boys played those songs yet. They still may; they've got a lot of dates. U.F.O and Up With The Birds could easily be X stage additions at least. It's too early to say whether they'll make an appearance though.

Parachutes and Reign of Love have been played live, I'm 100% sure. I didn't hear Parachutes personally (they played it in Bologna in 2005, and I think also recently in South America) but I did hear Reign of Love back in 2008, I think I also made a video. And A Whisper was played once in Seattle, Chris says it in the tour book interview.

Unless she means played often :P

Parachutes was at least played once live - I don't know about the tour they did for Parachutes, but there was a video about it on Coldplay.com (maybe in a Roadie42 blog :uhoh: ), posted during the Viva era or just before the Viva era, since I downloaded a mp3 of that in my mp3 :P...so yes, she most likely means often

January 30' date=' 2012 - submitted by Karl, Lebanon[/color']

Q. Dear Oracle who never answers my questions, On the demo cassette tape of Ode to Deodorant is written the number of Phil Harvey the fifth member of Coldplay since the demo was sent to promoters. Does he still have the same number?

Wow. How snarky is this guy Karl? If he simply would have used the tag cloud, he would have seen that this was answered long ago...

213ekxz.jpg

Parachutes live

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UetaHNKJnXc]Coldplay- Parachutes- Yellow 1/2 Guadalajara - YouTube[/ame]

Reign of love live (one of many live versions)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjR1LPlr2ro]Coldplay - Reign of Love (live in Köln 12.09.08) - YouTube[/ame]

Now give us UFO, dtlibyh and UWTB please :D

January 30, 2012 - submitted by Maria P, United States of America[/color][/b]

Q. I'm just curious after all the travel who from the band is the one that wants to practice less than usual? After a while!! Lol.

The Oracle replies:

They all like a decent amount of downtime before they get back into the studio especially after a long tour. To answer the question, other than Chris- who is the first to get into writing etc. I'd say it's a pretty close run thing but maybe Guy, by a tiny bit.

[My english sucks :embarrassed:]

I don't understand... Does she mean that Guy is the one who wants to practice less than usual ?

[/my english sucks]

[My english sucks :embarrassed:]

I don't understand... Does she mean that Guy is the one who wants to practice less than usual ?

[/my english sucks]

I don't know either... it is like the question is negative but the answer is positive...

January 31, 2012 - submitted by Bowen, United Kingdom

Q. Hey-o Oracle,

I'm slightly confused, because in a question you said that they've never played Parachutes or Reign of Love? When I have a recording of Reign of Love from the Izod Center in New Jersey (10.27.2008) and I could have sworn that I saw a setlist over at coldplaying.com where Chris played Parachutes right after finishing Yellow?

The Oracle replies:

Well strictly speaking I didn't say "never" I said that I was pretty sure there was one song left off.

Anyway, you're right though.

You see, I have a vague recollection of Parachutes being played but couldn't picture it. It wouldn't surprise me if it was played on their first tour because they obviously had fewer songs to play back then.

I haven't seen Reign Of Love played live though. I have seen videos that say Lovers In Japan/Reign Of Love online but I suspect that was because that's how it's listed on the album. I honestly think you must have seen the one time they ever played it.

January 31, 2012 - submitted by Lilac, United Arab Emirates

Q. Where has Roadie #42 gone? I miss his blog posts.

The Oracle replies:

He will back before you know it. January was downtime for the band and the crew. There has been activity but for the most part it was a month off. #42 only blogs when he has something to share with us all and in reality there's not been much to tell.