✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

'Lost' third single due on 8th september ?

coldpatrix

Of course. If anybody thought anything BUT Violet Hill, Viva La Vida, Lost!, and Lovers In Japan are going to be singles, you're just going to be let down. The only other song they MIGHT (MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT) be able to pull off is 42. But that's still a bit of a stretch (although still possible). The rest of the tracks on the album, although amazing, aren't single material. But sometimes the album tracks are better than the singles themselves (Politik, High Speed, Everything's Not Lost, Warning Sign, Amsterdam, White Shadows (could've been a single, though), Swallowed In The Sea, etc.).

But when it really comes down to it, singles are meant to promote an album. The public would NEVER understand Cemeteries Of London or Death And All His Friends. They're two of the best constructed songs on the album, but not radio friendly. HOWEVER, Lovers In Japan happens to be both one of the best songs in the album (in it's own right) as well as one of the most single-worthy tracks. The performance is STELLAR in concerts, and people just love it! Just pray Lost! helps shift alot of copies of VLAoDAAHF so we can get an international single #4 (for the first time...Don't Panic, GPASUYF, and The Hardest Part/What If? weren't international releases!)

Dave

You say WHITE SHADOWS could've been a single...

AND IT WAS!

yes... here in mexico WHITE SHADOWS was a radio single :D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say WHITE SHADOWS could've been a single...

AND IT WAS!

yes... here in mexico WHITE SHADOWS was a radio single :D

Yeah i know it was. NOTHING against Mexico, but I just don't count it as such. Radio-only singles can barely even be considered "singles." I guess it counts slightly...it is better than just being COMPLETELY left on the album. But still. It could've (and should've) been an international 4th single (over both The Hardest Part and What If?) Both tracks are good and what-not. But White Shadows was done on every date of the tour (with a show-stopping performance none-the-less), and it's much more radio friendly than What If? Also, there was no need to release two ballads off of the same album. I think White Shadows could've been edited down enough to fit radio and still been massively successful.

But then again, I'm biased. It happens to be one of my favorite songs ever. :-)

Dave

With singles its all about marketability. Speed Of Sound was instant #2 :P Fix You didnt get close to 1. Which was better? Fix You without a doubt.

Coldplay gave us a !1-2 punch back in May/June. VLV skyrocketed because strings and Jerusalem Bells aren't in. Its a different sound but basic rock chords.

I personally hate the album version of Lost! Its an amazing amazing song. The acoustic is far better, up there with Scientist for ballads by Coldplay.

LiJ is a great song. It defines radio friendly. Live its amazing as well. The 4 singles have been mentioned. Hope for an EP in the winter, get ready for No Line On The Horizon.

I think that there's always alot of hype surrounding their first singles. In My Place was #2 as was Speed Of Sound. But not necessarily because they're better songs or anything, but because they were the first new songs from a popular band with alot of hype. Fix You would've gone in at #2 if it were first. But Fix You really isn't "first single material" like Speed Of Sound. I think Fix You peaking at #4 was solely because of timing and nothing else...it was a second single.

Now what killed Violet Hill was the free downloads. 2 million free downloads would've EASILY translated into a #1 single had it been purchase only. There was SUCH a hype surrounding Coldplay when the project started, that pretty much anything would've sent the first single soaring up the charts. As for Viva La Vida (song), it was seriously JUST brilliant marketing that sent it to #1. I felt like it was topping the charts in the UK and US before the general public really knew the song. I feel like the position has been somewhat justified now because it really did grow into a massive hit, but still. I can almost promise that if Viva La Vida (song) was released by itself in the same way Fix You, The Scientist, Clocks, etc were released, it wouldn't've gone to #1. It was just GREAT marketing. It's still an amazing song, and probably would've gone to become their biggest hit, but I think #1 would've been pushing it.

But that's just my opinion. Do I think out of all Coldplay's songs, Viva La Vida deserves to be the one that went #1? Not compared to Fix You, The Scientist, Clocks or Yellow. But does it still deserved the position (because it's a great song). However, I really think it's all attributed to genius marketing (free with album, iTunes, timing, etc.) as well as capitalizing on their popularity. Making the song public a day after the first single was released with BRILLIANT. They were making a huge impact with Violet Hill, and then pulled a 180 and sent another song into the mix! Brilliant!

Dave

CoL as a single? No. Like someone said before me it's just not single material...more like a bonus to the fans who do understand the deep lyrics unlike the mainstreamers.

CoL live? Sure why not its a good song :)

I think Lost! is gonna be a very succesful single...even better than VlV and violet hill together.

They shot the video for it in Chicago at the show and Mel and Lori and me could maybe be in it so you all need to shut the fuck up about COL and let them release it. :P

Here, here! I'm gonna stand out too b/c when Chris came over on our side on Guy's ramp, all eyes were on him, except mine. They were still firmly planted on JB.:P

Personally? I just want some B-sides. I loved "Death Will Never Conquer", which is the closest thing we've had to a (post-album) B-side so far.

Whatever happened to those top-notch non-album singles that were promised?:(

Hmm, on second thoughts, I guess Viva La Vida isn't exactly an obvious single is it, or is it? How commercial are string quartets and Jerusalem bells these days? I don't know... to hell with it, release Ode To Deodorant as a single; that'll take the airwaves by storm for sure.
:laugh3:

Well, considering X&Y has had 6 singles in total (official: Speed Of Sound, Fix You, Talk, The Hardest Part, un-official/local releases only: What If, White Shadows), I wouldn't be surprised if a 5th (un-official) single popped up some time next year...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure What If? was actually released. I'm currently looking at the CD single as we speak.

And White Shadows was radio only...so technically it's not "unofficial" but close enough. Radios can technically play whatever they want, so... BTW, does anyone know if there were any promos pressed?

Dave

singles are a relatively mixed bag for me. i usually have my songs i think should be put out, but ive sort of learned to ubstain from that desire because i know usually it only leads to disappointment. if cemeteries was released as a single it would go nowhere because the public is generally idiotic. lost! and lovers of japan are good songs, and i dont mind them being thrown into the single basket. its something you really had to expect. they're radio friendly. neither will do what vlv has done though - someone said that, but it wont happen.

the best part of singles is you might occasionally here them on the radio (i never hear coldplay on the radio where i live for w/e reason), and most importantly you will likely get a video. due to my lack of enthusiam for coldplay videos because they dont like doing great ones, im not sure that even matters anymore lol. b-sides would be fantastic, but if they're putting out an EP in march, they probably won't give them to us....

so all in all, this isnt too big of a deal.

• 3 weeks later...