✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

4-Sep-2009: Estadi Olimpic, Barcelona - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Previews

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... Violet Hill doesn't seem like a song that they need to use a backing track. It seems quite straightforward, almost every sound can be replicated using 2 guitars, 1 bass and drums...

Whereas songs like LiT... they definitely would need a backing track for the dulcimer sound for example. Or the organs in VLV.

.... the failure of the sound also showed there must have been some sort of communcation problem to the band to let them know the sound fecked up big time... If they knew I am sure they would have stooped...

Or they could not halt the backing track. Both excuxues a very poor too.

I hope the dont make the DVD from Barcelona, it was a poor showing, and I know they will be more up for it at Wembley..

So, the stadium they played last night is this actually used for gigs normally? Don't think U2 played there when they play barcelona?

P.

Yesterday the played at the Olympic stadium, and U2 played at the Camp Nou (FC Barcelona stadium). The second one is bigger than the Olympic, 100000 people versus 65000 more or less.

The Olympic is used frequently for big gigs: Madonna last July, AC/DC last June, etc... Camp Nou was the venue last June for the 2 first shows of U2 tour, and Bruce Springsteen played also twice on summer 2008.

Yesterday the played at the Olympic stadium, and U2 played at the Camp Nou (FC Barcelona stadium). The second one is bigger than the Olympic, 100000 people versus 65000 more or less.

The Olympic is used frequently for big gigs: Madonna last July, AC/DC last June, etc... Camp Nou was the venue last June for the 2 first shows of U2 tour, and Bruce Springsteen played also twice on summer 2008.

i think u2 had an 85.000 crowd

I'm not complaining... I can't because I wasn't @ the show and it definitely won't be fair for me to pass judgement. Just discussing why people would tweet things like 'mega fail' last night and some online reviews (eg 'Billy Jean was shit') which surfaced. I thought Billy Jean was pretty good.

I take your word for it that it was a good show Ed!

Omg they've got sound problem? That's horrible..Both for the band and the audience..

I know the comments were quite harsh, but fom what I've read, the tickets are not that cheap so people were furious when they didn't get what they paid for..

Cant blame them for complaining though..

On the other hand, poor the boys! They (especially Chris as he worries the most) must be really disappointed :\

One more thing..

Still got his neck covered :\

I don't know anything about this..Why is his neck covered?

BTW, i have to alert everyone that getting the free CDs was a battle! Everybody got a couple or three.. so maybe people who were at first rows in the pit left with no CDs, i don't know... but the delivering was MAD!

Another example why they should give the CDs out when you go into the stadium? :thinking:

One more thing..

I don't know anything about this..Why is his neck covered?

Means he's having problems with his voice.

Oy vey. Hope they sort out this sound problem. Biggest crowd they've ever played up until this point and this happens.

How did you find out about this?

Was there something that I missed?

Sorry for bugging you with these questions..I was just wondering how did I miss this.

Well he always wears scarves before shows anyway, to protect his voice:

rlb17.jpg

But he said he was suffering with a bad throat at the Udine gig and has been wearing them on stage (for the first few songs at least) ever since.

I'm a bit confused about the backing track thing... People are saying they use backing tracks for most songs and that was the problem last night, but surely if the backing tracks were mucking up, the boys would know something had gone wrong as they would be out of time as they played along? Are people there sure it was backing tracks and not just the PA system breaking up? That way the boys probably wouldn't know as they would be playing as normal and only hear themselves through their ear pieces, so not be aware of what was going on. I wasn't there so I'm guessing...

They must be so cross - that was such a big show for them :-(

But he said he was suffering with a bad throat at the Udine gig and has been wearing them on stage (for the first few songs at least) ever since.

Thanks Mich..

When a fit man like Chris gets sick continuously, u know it's nearly time for them to take a break.

I was very very near to the stage and the boys definitely noticed the sound problems. Chris looked to the side of the stage several times saying "f*ck" during Violet Hill. After that, the gig was great. I don't understand all the critics. I was standing in the front and it was great. I had friends seated on the sides and they said it was great too. There were a lot of cameras recording the show (6 or 7 only in the main stage!).

I'm a bit confused about the backing track thing... People are saying they use backing tracks for most songs and that was the problem last night, but surely if the backing tracks were mucking up, the boys would know something had gone wrong as they would be out of time as they played along? Are people there sure it was backing tracks and not just the PA system breaking up? That way the boys probably wouldn't know as they would be playing as normal and only hear themselves through their ear pieces, so not be aware of what was going on. I wasn't there so I'm guessing...

They must be so cross - that was such a big show for them :-(

True. I think problems wasn't in backing tracks. Problems happened when they forced the big loudspeakers baffle (translation of altavoz?) that where hanged to both sides of the stage. That SSCRRREEE was the typical baffle problem when you force it and it doesn't reach the tone. They don't need to be connect to that big baffle sound to listen themselves playing, then they didn't realise what was happening. Sometimes you are paying and you don't listen the same that people is listening, in a s such a big scenario this problem can be bigger, you have to reach to a lot of people. (My father had a electronic components shop, and my husband plays in a little folk music group for fun :).)

Hi everyone...

This is my first post here, I´am from Barcelona so sorry for my english.

Yesterday I went to my first concert of Coldplay and I was really excited. The concert was great, Chris and the guys were great and sadly I can confirm the sound problems. I was near the stage and seated and the sound was really poor. I couldn´t hardly understand what Chris was saying when he was singing or talking. The last time they played in Barcelona, they did it in Palau Sant Jordi, a place maybe smaller but covered but this time it wasn´t and I think maybe that was the problem, but the people responsible of the sound should have known that.

The people at the end were a little bit sad, but if Coldplay read this, they should know that Barcelona loves them and that we are very grateful that they chose Barcelona again to play live.

We wait for them when they tour again probably with a new CD and in a big stadium as they deserve, but please with bigger loudspeaker lol lol.

I was very very near to the stage and the boys definitely noticed the sound problems. Chris looked to the side of the stage several times saying "f*ck" during Violet Hill. After that, the gig was great. I don't understand all the critics. I was standing in the front and it was great. I had friends seated on the sides and they said it was great too. There were a lot of cameras recording the show (6 or 7 only in the main stage!).

yup, I think I can be a very good recording