✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

4-Sep-2009: Estadi Olimpic, Barcelona - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Previews

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRANSLATION

Coldplay is going to record this evening's concert and will dedicate it to Barcelona

Link: http://www.elperiodico.com/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=46&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=642148&idseccio_PK=1013

•The 63.500 seats offered for sale were already sold-out in April

•The London quartet is going to record a DVD with this evening's concert at the Olympic Stadium

by NANDO CRUZ / translated by Google tool to Danish and from Danish to English by Nancy Boysen

BARCELONA

Tonight Coldplay intend to offer one of their best and most triumphant performances in the band's career. The tickets were sold-out in April. When at 9.30pm the English quartet enter the stage at the Olympic Stadium, there will be an attendance of 63,500 people predisposed to enjoy this concert which they have been waiting for - for months. Additionally Chris Martin and co. know that their Viva la vida has become an unofficial Barca national anthem, so the apotheosis x) is guaranteed. Therefore today Coldplay will record the concert and release it on DVD very soon. The recordings will take place by means of an advanced camera comprising a very high crane mounted outside of the rehearsal room in order to captivate aerial photos of the show.

When Coldplay released their first album, Parachutes (2000), the critics wrote about the group's monumental profile. "Their songs are designed for being played at larger venues," it was proclaimed with confidence - only time will show whether this verdict is correct. The following albums of the group "A Rush of Blood To Your Head To The Head" (2002) and "X&Y" (2005), confirmed this initial feeling of greatness and a brilliant future for the group. "They are successors to U2 ", "is a group born to fill up stadiums".

Classics for a generation / Artists that can fill-up stadiums are often those, the lifetime of which make them open to several generations of concert-goers. The Rolling Stones, U2, Bruce Springsteen, AC / DC have been active musicians for three to five decades. Coldplay, instead, managed to be included in that league of stadium-filling artists after only a ten-year-long career. Coldplay is the only group from this decade being part of this league.

Who attended the Coldplay concert only 12 months ago at Sant Jordi, should not expect this evening's concert to differ much from that concert. During this time the group have offered their fans some songs for free download from their website and their latest record: Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends (2008). Who has not seen Coldplay live, should know that Coldplay win in the long run. They were born to win and have a repertoire with an epic warmth which is both overwhelming and exciting: A comfortable bombast. They do not need circular or huge scenaries, as they know how to reach the audience in the back row.

Extremely good opening bands. / A group that is infallible at the big stadiums will be one of the opening bands. The Flaming Lips (playing at 7.50pm) will guarantee a spectacular show. The group "Los de Oklahoma" is well-known for their psychedelic and joyous performances; it is somewhat a mixture of Pink Floyd and Teletubbies. And records such as "The Soft Bulletin (1999) and Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (2002), delirious and heart-warming classics of the psychedelic rock, are the most important ingredients of an always colourful show. At 19 o'clock the Toledo quintet will play Sunday Drivers.

apotheosis x) Elevation to divine status; glorification

Paltrow Succeeds Streisand As Star Tourist in Barcelona

http://www.elperiodico.com/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=46&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=642185&idseccio_PK=1028

BARCELONA by IMEDIO FERRAN / translated by Nancy Boysen

No star can resist Barcelona's charm. The list of stars enchanted by Barcelona is interminable: Bruce Springsteen, U2, Woody Allen, Rihanna, Russell Crowe, Renée Zellweger ... They have all passed through the Catalan capital and largest city in Catalonia in the latest months. The star visiting Barcelona before Gwyneth Paltrow was Barbara Streisand, who visited Barcelona earlier this week together with her husband, actor James Brolin. Gwyneth Paltrow arrived in Barcelona Wednesday immediately before her partner, Coldplay singer Chris Martin. Today Coldplay plays the Olympic Stadium.

GOAL, dinner at Arola / / Paltrow was the star tourist on Wednesday and arrived with the couple's children, Apple, 5, and Moses, 3, and settled in one of the two big and luxurious duplex apartments in the Hotel Arts, booked at 2.500 € per night. The couple lives in London and has bought the neighbouring property to create a superhouse with 33 rooms; this alone is going to coste eight million euro. NANCY BOYSEN

-------------------------------

As I cannot Spanish, I had to make use of the Google translation tool which translated the Spanish text into very bad Danish - some of the sentences were meaningless consisting of Danish words, but with no connection what-so-ever (some of the adjectives in the Spanish text were suddenly nouns which destroyed the context). It was a nice puzzle of words puzzling me. :) So I spent some time trying (mostly with success) to find out the meaning making use of my knowledge of French and Latin. The result is a translation into English with some rewriting of the passages involving the purchase of the neighbouring property in London. But the above is mostly a translation of the relevant and understandable passages of the Google translation. And I had much fun doing it - so maybe I will be able to "puzzle together" some reviews of this evening's concert again with some help from Google.

TRANSLATION OF THE ARTICLE IN THE NEWSPAPER "EL PAIS" mentioned above:

Coldplay opens Barcelona's great musical 'reentry'

http://www-org.elpais.com/articulo/cataluna/Coldplay/abre/potente/rentree/musical/Barcelona/elpepiespcat/20090903elpcat_7/Tes?print=1

The British band repeat 'Viva la vida' one year later

EL PAÍS - Barcelona - 03/09/2009

Tomorrow - (almost) one year later, to the day, after their memorable journey to Palau Sant Jordi, Coldplay will be in Barcelona with practically the same setlist on their Viva la vida tour in the Lluís Company's stadium. They have sold 63,500 tickets for the concert which will have The Flaming Lips as opening band / warm-up band.

Chris Martin's band will of course play Viva la vida, the song that has sort of developed into a special anthem for the Spanish football team Barcelona aka. Barça which has won 5 cups, as well as some of their classic songs such as Violet Hill and Yellow. The new element is however the British band's particular tribute to Michael Jackson: An acoustic version of Billie Jean.

The Coldplay concert opens a very strong musical reentry. On 14 September 2009, the fathers of heavy metal, Deep Purple, on 19 September Steve Earle, and on 21, Leonard Cohen will be playing Palau Sant Jordi. In the month of October Green Day, Diana Krall, Billi Bragg and the veteran Elton John will pass Barcelona. In November Rammstein, Spandau ballet, Depeche Mode, and the North-American extremely beautiful singer Rickie Lee Jones and Muse will be here. December will start with heavyweights such as Marilyn Manson and Franz Ferdinand .

Translated by Nancy Boysen (with very little help of Google translation tool)

I translated the relevant parts, but skipped the last 5 sentences. :)

Article from the Spanish paper Lavanguardia (http://www.lavanguardia.es):

El cantante Chris Martin, líder de la banda británica, durante el concierto ofrecido, esta noche, en el estadio Olímpico Lluis Companys

Singer Chris Martin, leader of the British band during the concert taking place this evening at the Stadium Olimpico Lluis Companys

Los problemas de sonido castigan a Colplay

A su única cita en España asistieron 65.000 seguidores que llegaron a silbar a la banda

Again sound problems punish(ed) COL!PLAY

In the band's only visit to Spain 65,000 fans assisted the band(singing along) and booed

http://www.lavanguardia.es/cultura/noticias/20090904/53777796619/los-problemas-de-sonido-castigan-a-colplay.html

The article is longer, but now I am too tired to continue. More tomorrow! :)

They were booed? :\

that remind me to the boo burns moment (simpsons reference).

i bet it means something different,

i'm sure people kept singing "ohh ohh ohh" to them, as chris's lyrics. ;)

i remember a year ago, it was so awesome concert there, great atmosphere. :nice: and the concert ended that way, everybody singing "ohh ohh ohh" just :awesome:

Was a huge audience tonight too. Like 65,000 people. Oh dear, they won't be happy

hmmmm, when you pay a lot of money for a ticket, then cannot hear anything. Well....you'd be angry... :/

At Glastonbury 2007, I was so disappointed when I was trying to watch The Killers and couldn't hear them because of sound problems.

Lets hope they sort it out!! :o