✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

4-Sep-2009: Estadi Olimpic, Barcelona - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Previews

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last night

I was there last night, in the middle of the stadium floor and I have to say the sound problems were definitely real and long lasting. They sounded like they were playing underwater all night. You could hear the people around you in the crowd talking more loudly than the music from the stage, the speakers stopped working. It started in the middle of Violet Hill and it only seemed to improve a little towards the end. The worst thing is that it seemed like the only reason they didn't stop (yes it was that bad for anyone who wasn't near the front) was that they were filming the gig. They should have stopped and sorted it out. Well they will have a lot of editing to do to get rid of the sound of the whistles and the chants of 'no se oye' (we can't hear).

What a shame, we were really looking forward to this gig and it was a real disappointment, as the atmosphere was killed by the fact that everyone was so fed up about the sound. Badalona years ago was ten times better, I wasn't at the San Jordi gig last year so can't compare.

And yes, Billy Jean was shit. What was that?!

Finally well done to anyone who got hold of one of the free CDs. We didn't see anyone giving them out at the exit we left by, which was one of the main ones.

Sorry to moan but it is gutting when you spend €50 and wait for a gig for months and then that happens, and the truth needs to be told because it seems the press all had a great time, they must have been near the stage speakers in the press area. I will of course go and see them again if i get the chance but never again in an outdoor venue.

I'd like to think they weren't aware how bad the problem was so far back...but maybe they did and like you said didn't want to interrupt the recording :\

If that's really the case..That's quite selfish of them.

You can make another recording, but you cannot give the audience back the entertainment that they paid for.

I hope it's not true though..

oh, gosh..it really seems like one of the main speakers was out of order...that's rubbish..dont' think if they stopped playing people would be happy either plus you have to look at the curfew etc.

Personally I don't think they recorded it for a DVD anyways...as normally you record shows for release where you have two nights just in case on of the nights somethings go wrong...which they did!

Guess they won't be in a happy bunny mood today....wonders what R42 will write about it.

P.

oh, gosh..it really seems like one of the main speakers was out of order...that's rubbish..dont' think if they stopped playing people would be happy either plus you have to look at the curfew etc.

Personally I don't think they recorded it for a DVD anyways...as normally you record shows for release where you have two nights just in case on of the nights somethings go wrong...which they did!

Guess they won't be in a happy bunny mood today....wonders what R42 will write about it.

P.

I agree, I remember the Oracle said they would let us know when they were recording a DVD, and even tough they were recording the show it didn't mean it would end up as a DVD. I went to see The Killers in Verona, and they recorded the whole gig (I had the damn crane for the camera blocking the view most of the times), but we already knew they were recording the two shows at Royal Albert Hall as well for the DVD, so Verona is going to be part of the bonuses.

It's too risky to record a DVD when you only have one date, and what happened yesterday just showed this.

U2 had problems in Milan on the first night 4 years ago, so they had to use most of the recording of the second night, and still they were not happy with the outcome and only published a short DVD to go with U218 :(

But more than this I'm worried for Chris' voice, I really hope these two free days before Paris will do him good :nice:

I didn´t want to be mean giving my opinion, but I think that is good that they know what the audience think about their concerts, so I am sure that this will never happen again. My opinion: If you play in a more or less big outdoor venue, better sound and bigger screens.

I love them and I am looking forward to their next concert in Barcelona, please come back.

Take Care.

I agree, I remember the Oracle said they would let us know when they were recording a DVD, and even tough they were recording the show it didn't mean it would end up as a DVD. I went to see The Killers in Verona, and they recorded the show, but we already knew they were recording the two shows at Royal Albert Hall as well for the DVD, so Verona is going to be part of the bonuses.

It's too risky to record a DVD when you only have one date, and what happened yesterday just showed this.

U2 had problems in Milan on the first night 4 years ago, so they had to use most of the recording of the second night, and still they were not happy with the outcome and only published a short DVD to go with U218 :(

But more than this I'm worried for Chris' voice, I really hope these two free days before Paris will do him good :nice:

In Munich last week he sounded absolutley fine to me but I also just hope that a. the two days off will give him some rest and b. that it all holds up til 19th and c. that he hasn't done anything stupid which will hold him up from touring in the future.

P.

^ he didn't seem to have too many problems in Udine as well, but most of the times I could hear our voices over his, so I cannot really judge. He said he had a sore throat..but then again I couldn't see him having any problems in Charlotte as well and then they cancelled Tampa, so I'm not really the one you can trust on this matter :lol:

@silvia: I don't think saying you were let down by sound problems is being mean, don't worry. I know of many people who were not satisfied with the audio in Udine as well, especially those on the covered seatings :wink:

I didn´t want to be mean giving my opinion, but I think that is good that they know what the audience think about their concerts, so I am sure that this will never happen again. My opinion: If you play in a more or less big outdoor venue, better sound and bigger screens.

I love them and I am looking forward to their next concert in Barcelona, please come back.

Take Care.

I think they totally appreciated honest opinion from their audience however things can always go wrong which shouldn't go wrong if the main speakers fail a bigger speaker won't make a different when it won't work.

I know its easy said cause it is always a shame for the people who are there but things even if done 100times before can go wrong!

and I am pretty sure there is nobody more pissed of then them about it.

(guess Chris had a big trantrum last night....)

P.

worldtrav,

Believe me I don´t regret every euro that I spent for the ticket. It´s just that I was so so

sad for them, because they don´t deserve that. I was so happy that they had chose Barcelona to play live again. I just want to let them know that Barcelona really loves them. We went to the concert so excited ........

I just hope that they come back again....

worldtrav,

Believe me I don´t regret every euro that I spent for the ticket. It´s just that I was so so

sad for them, because they don´t deserve that. I was so happy that they had chose Barcelona to play live again. I just want to let them know that Barcelona really loves them. We went to the concert so excited ........

I just hope that they come back again....

Oh, I am sure they will be back to Barcelona...think they quite like it there anyway - did they not do the church recordings in barcelona for VLV. ?

P.

TRANSLATION OF ARTICLE / REVIEW OF THE COLDPLAY CONCERT IN BARCELONA 5 SEPTEMBER 2009 - from the Spanish newspaper "El Pais)

(http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultura/Coldplay/reyes/estadio/elpepicul/20090905elpepicul_8/Tes)

Rating: 3½* (out of 5*) Result based on 29 votes

Coldplay, Stadium Kings

The group performed at the Lluís Companys Stadium in Barcelona in front of 63,000 people

By LUIS HIDALGO / Translated by Nancy Boysen - Barcelona - 05/09/2009

More contagious than the flu. That is a description of the Coldplay songs when played in a stadium. Whether you like it or not, but when 63,000 people join in the chorusses, then there is not much point in trying any resistance. Or you are affected or feel bored which will destroy a planet of smiles. Nobody felt like that last night in the packed Olympic Stadium "Estadio Olimpico" in Barcelona, where the British quartet proved that the huge venues belong to them. Stadiums are the best places for Coldplay to play. Yes, Coldplay is an authentic stadium band - the stadium is the type of venue where their performances will be to the best advantage.

Lets begin from the start with Violet Hill, Clocks, In My Place and Yellow. When playing Yellow the pit of the venue was filled with yellow balloons. The audience in the stadium enjoyed the concert, screamed and laughed with Coldplay. No wonder that the FC Barcelona coach, Pep Guardiolain, present last night in the Lluis Companys Stadium, was visibly pleased having encouraged his players to perform well last season with Coldplay's music.

Chris Martin nursed details, greeted the audience in Catalan and used Spanish (Castilian) much more than the last 37 Anglo-Saxon artists who have visited Barcelona. Another gesture of proximity / to create an intimate atmosphere in a concert that the band recorded with a view to making a DVD that aims to show the power of the band's live performances. That is why, even before reaching half / the middle of the concert, there had already been fireworks in Fix You. Then in the Encores, confetti rained down in the form of butterflies in Lovers in Japan.

But as the happiness cannot be total, some technical problems - for which Martin apologized at the end of the concert with admirable embarrassment and that he wanted to compensate for with free records (that some employees in fact handed out)- affected the concert somewhat negatively, the sound of which varied in intensity in some sections causing the audience to cry / shout "we cannot hear!" with remarkable determination. Earlier, in the beginning of the show, the sound was interrupted for a few seconds on several occasions, a stain on a show designed to destroy/tear down. And that's exactly what happened yesterday in what was supposed to be the emotional highlight of the night coming with the interpretation of Viva la Vida. It was, without a doubt, the culmination of a concert that was to continue nearly one hour more and that would take their 63,000 fans close to heaven.

In the course of their evening in Barcelona, Coldplay made two acoustic sets: One of them on a circular stage near the main stage, where they interpreted four songs; and another three songs were played on another stage opposed to the pit. There they played a tribute to Michael Jackson: A version of Billy Jean where the faithful audience sang along to the chorus.

Hey what's going on with all those complaints??

The show was really awwwwesome!!! they were fantastic all of them, even Chris was brilliant with his delicate voice as we all know, and there was the same energy in the stage as always, no problems and no mistakes, and it seems that they were happy to play in Barcelona again, and of course, Chris has a better catalan and spanish than last year!

But for me, the only disappointing thing of the night was... the crowd. I'm not going to say the sound problems, because it's a normal thing to happen in big stadiums, you just have to understand it and that's all.

But it's NOT normal that when a powerful song is playing, people just stand motionless with the cameras up and in silence... oh C'MON they were recording the show with professional cameras!! It's just a stupid thing to do with your own little cheap camera!!

The crowd was much more euphoric in Palau Sant Jordi last year than yesterday, and it was quite sad... Coldplay chose Barcelona for this tour, and on top of that they choose this show to record it!! and people didn't give what the four guys needed... they didn't deserve it.. was very shameless.

And they noticed it, there were moments that they were trying to get some participation from the crowd, as the mobile wave... and it was very hard. I guess Coldplay expected much more from Barcelona crowd, as always, but this time it was just awful.

In my sector there were lots of noises, people shouting and chatting on the stairs as if they were in a bar, drinking all the time and waiting for the beer-man for more and more drinks, doing everything except paying attention to the show that we had all paid. Only a few people seemed to enjoy the most songs of the night.

And about the CDs, it's hardly surprising that so much people couldn't get one if the responsibles for the delivery were so far from the exit doors, throwing lots of cd's like boomerangs, and many people just didn't know where was the place to get them.. very poor organization.

But except all that, the show and the guys were really amaaazing, and the lights and the fireworks were so extraordinary, the night was so worth it!!! and at least didn't rain, just some little drops!!

And I hope the bad reviews won't make them change their opinion about Barcelona, we'll be waiting their comeback!! :cool:

Some of the pictures that I took:

3890108040_7d5488dfea_o.jpg

(This show will be recorded for the next Coldplay DVD)

3890111144_52f69b8737_o.jpg

In my place

3889313269_a721de32e1_o.jpg

Glass Of Water

3890106744_26a4675c03_o.jpg

Viva la vida

3890107230_9d8eaf3b89_o.jpg

Lovers In Japan

3890107484_0953e43d1c_o.jpg

End of the first part

3889314705_f163aa8f7e_o.jpg

Life in technicolor II

TRANSLATION OF ARTICLE / REVIEW OF THE COLDPLAY CONCERT IN BARCELONA 5 SEPTEMBER 2009 - from the Spanish newspaper "El Pais)

(http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultura/Coldplay/reyes/estadio/elpepicul/20090905elpepicul_8/Tes)

Rating: 3½* (out of 5*) Result based on 29 votes

Coldplay, Stadium Kings

The group performed at the Lluís Companys Stadium in Barcelona in front of 63,000 people

By LUIS HIDALGO / Translated by Nancy Boysen - Barcelona - 05/09/2009

More contagious than the flu. That is a description of the Coldplay songs when played in a stadium. Whether you like it or not, but when 63,000 people join in the chorusses, then there is not much point in trying any resistance. Or you are affected or feel bored which will destroy a planet of smiles. Nobody felt like that last night in the packed Olympic Stadium "Estadio Olimpico" in Barcelona, where the British quartet proved that the huge venues belong to them. Stadiums are the best places for Coldplay to play. Yes, Coldplay is an authentic stadium band - the stadium is the type of venue where their performances will be to the best advantage.

Lets begin from the start with Violet Hill, Clocks, In My Place and Yellow. When playing Yellow the pit of the venue was filled with yellow balloons. The audience in the stadium enjoyed the concert, screamed and laughed with Coldplay. No wonder that the FC Barcelona coach, Pep Guardiolain, present last night in the Lluis Companys Stadium, was visibly pleased having encouraged his players to perform well last season with Coldplay's music.

Chris Martin nursed details, greeted the audience in Catalan and used Spanish (Castilian) much more than the last 37 Anglo-Saxon artists who have visited Barcelona. Another gesture of proximity / to create an intimate atmosphere in a concert that the band recorded with a view to making a DVD that aims to show the power of the band's live performances. That is why, even before reaching half / the middle of the concert, there had already been fireworks in Fix You. Then in the Encores, confetti rained down in the form of butterflies in Lovers in Japan.

But as the happiness cannot be total, some technical problems - for which Martin apologized at the end of the concert with admirable embarrassment and that he wanted to compensate for with free records (that some employees in fact handed out)- affected the concert somewhat negatively, the sound of which varied in intensity in some sections causing the audience to cry / shout "we cannot hear!" with remarkable determination. Earlier, in the beginning of the show, the sound was interrupted for a few seconds on several occasions, a stain on a show designed to destroy/tear down. And that's exactly what happened yesterday in what was supposed to be the emotional highlight of the night coming with the interpretation of Viva la Vida. It was, without a doubt, the culmination of a concert that was to continue nearly one hour more and that would take their 63,000 fans close to heaven.

In the course of their evening in Barcelona, Coldplay made two acoustic sets: One of them on a circular stage near the main stage, where they interpreted four songs; and another three songs were played on another stage opposed to the pit. There they played a tribute to Michael Jackson: A version of Billy Jean where the faithful audience sang along to the chorus.

HOW MANY LANGUAGES DO YOU SPEAK????? :stunned:

a pic i took of the crowded place:

dscf1708.jpg

Hey what's going on with all those complaints??

The show was really awwwwesome!!! they were fantastic all of them, even Chris was brilliant with his delicate voice as we all know, and there was the same energy in the stage as always, no problems and no mistakes, and it seems that they were happy to play in Barcelona again, and of course, Chris has a better catalan and spanish than last year!

But for me, the only disappointing thing of the night was... the crowd. I'm not going to say the sound problems, because it's a normal thing to happen in big stadiums, you just have to understand it and that's all.

But it's NOT normal that when a powerful song is playing, people just stand motionless with the cameras up and in silence... oh C'MON they were recording the show with professional cameras!! It's just a stupid thing to do with your own little cheap camera!!

The crowd was much more euphoric in Palau Sant Jordi last year than yesterday, and it was quite sad... Coldplay chose Barcelona for this tour, and on top of that they choose this show to record it!! and people didn't give what the four guys needed... they didn't deserve it.. was very shameless.

And they noticed it, there were moments that they were trying to get some participation from the crowd, as the mobile wave... and it was very hard. I guess Coldplay expected much more from Barcelona crowd, as always, but this time it was just awful.

In my sector there were lots of noises, people shouting and chatting on the stairs as if they were in a bar, drinking all the time and waiting for the beer-man for more and more drinks, doing everything except paying attention to the show that we had all paid. Only a few people seemed to enjoy the most songs of the night.

And about the CDs, it's hardly surprising that so much people couldn't get one if the responsibles for the delivery were so far from the exit doors, throwing lots of cd's like boomerangs, and many people just didn't know where was the place to get them.. very poor organization.

But except all that, the show and the guys were really amaaazing, and the lights and the fireworks were so extraordinary, the night was so worth it!!! and at least didn't rain, just some little drops!!

And I hope the bad reviews won't make them change their opinion about Barcelona, we'll be waiting their comeback!! :cool:

I agree with you in some things, but not on the whole.

About the crowd, it's true that there were people talking and not very involved with the show. But this is the kind of things that happen when you become a band of huge success: there are the fans that know every song and sing them, but also the kind of people that know them for one or two songs (Viva la vida, Yellow) and the rest of the concert remain passive or worse, chatting.

Here in Barcelona this has become more obvious with the FC Barcelona thing: at the stadium they played Viva la Vida before every match. It has become a anthem for the succesful season of the team, and recognised everywhere. Result: a lot of people at the concert wearing the Barça t-shirt and they maybe only knew this song. Even at the TV3 news this afternoon, the jornalist that made the report of the show said that some people were disappointed because there was no mention to FC Barcelona and the band didn't wear the Barça T-shirts. VENGA YA!!! COME ON! I must admit that I thought they'd do some mention to it, but I was happy that they didn't. In this country it seems that football has to be the center of everything.

The mobile wave in the end worked very well, I think. At the beginning it was a problem because Chris said "starting from the left"... but the left of what? He must have said "starting from the left of the stage". But after 2-3 attemps it was pretty good.

About the reviews. I've read some newspapers and all of them are very positive, only with the drawback of the sound at the beginning.

Answer to strawberryswinger's question: How many languages do you know?

I know Danish (being Danish), Norwegian and Swedish, English, German and French. With the help of online translation tool and my knowledge of French and Latin, I can also somewhat translate from Spanish and Italian - maybe not perfect translations, but understandable ones. And I am having much fun doing it. :)

It also helps a lot that I like the subject. :D NANCY

eg:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOgLxvikVTk&feature=PlayList&p=B2642EA1418257EF&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=60]YouTube - Coldplay The Woodlands-Houston: 22nd July, 2009 - Chris' Ditty + Death Will Never Conquer (Will)[/ame]