✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay's Chris Martin Hints Retirement Next Year

busybeeburns

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe this for one second. Chris isn't a perfect man, and he's been known to say things when he is feeling one way, and then later completely change his mind.

Example: About a year or so before the release of VLVOD, Chris said the band was planning on recording a dark album, with more dark lyrics and almost no piano. I'm sure many of you remember this. Why did he say that at the time? That was when the band was still fighting and Eno was trying to patch things up for them. So Chris was probably in a bad way at that time, so he said the album would be dark and whatnot.

Viva la Vida, Lovers In Japan, Life in Technicolor, Reign of Love, Strawberry Swing, these don't sound "dark" to me. And almost no piano? I think Cemeteries of London, 42, Reign of Love, Violet Hill, and DAAHF have just a wee-bit of piano if I'm not mistaken.

So this is just Chris obviously being overwhelmed by all that's going on, and feeling that he would probably rather retire on top than keep going and fall down. In other words "It's better to burn out, than it is to rust" (Neil Young), or for you sports fans, Chris doesn't want to turn into Brett Favre, Roger Clemens, etc.

By the time this tour is over, he'll be all excited about music again, and then he'll do this again when LP5 is released. They may take a hiatus, but Chris can't keep his mind made up long enough to retire long-term. Nope, I'm afraid we've got the 21st century Rolling Stones in Coldplay.:dozey:

Ok after reading the arctual article that started this whole mess, I've got this to say:

Chris NEVER actually said he (or his band) would retire soon. He said bands, as in the general sense as in he was making a general point about bands who totter on well into old age, just to scrape up the last bit of cash, or adoration or whatever. He probably was just pulling a number out of the air to illustrate said point a picked one a little too close to his actual age. (as he has done many times before.)

As regards my earlier comments about money, perhaps I should havwe been more clear. I never meant to imply that the band weren't extremely wealthy, or that they were motivated by money (In fact, I believe I explicitly stated the opposite.) However, they all have clearly adopted a lifestyle that requires a great deal of money to support. Therefore, even if the "rich list" numbers regarding their wealth are accurate (which is quite often not the case), it seems unlikely they'd have enough yet to continue said lifestyle for the remainder of they're lives. (as opposed to a band like u2 where each member is rumered to be worth at least $200 million U.S., or the three original Rolling Stones whose personal wealth runs into the billions.) Never meant to imply anything more than that...

I hate it when they say stuff like this, it ruins my life. It's like waiting to pass an exam. I hope like holy shit everyone can get to a concert before then/me too!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, don't take it to heart. When Chris announced the new album was gonna be darker, I got really pissed and said "Why can't they realize we want them to stay doing positive music, I don't want another Radiohead!"

Well they went and released this album and it's hardly dark. So just take what Chris says with a grain of salt, he always seems to be having mood swings.

Until Will says something, I don't trust it's true. Will seems to be the decision-maker, so if he says they're not retiring, then they're not retiring.

Okay, you guys made me feel a lot better and less worried... :]

Until Will says something, I don't trust it's true. Will seems to be the decision-maker, so if he says they're not retiring, then they're not retiring.

More like the most sane. xD

With all the excitement of this tour, which the band themselves have said has been the time of their lives, and obviously the continuing and growth of their fan base, AND how Chris has been recording and writing while on tour, I cannot imagine that this is actually going to happen.

I freaked out when Chris announced a couple years ago at I believe the British Music Awards that Coldplay wouldn't be back for a while and yet I saw them myself two nights ago!!

So let us all hope and pray that Chris is just being a bit overly dramatic and feeling a false sense of inferiority to some other bands (GET OVER IT MAN, COLDPLAY IS BOMB) or that the journalist misunderstood him.

I would seriously go into a depression if that is true. I would sob.

chris needs to learn how to say :'just kidding :D'

That's the biggest understatement ever :P

I think Coldplay's lives and our lives would be a billion times easier if there was a disclaimer attached to all of his interviews:

Warning: Interviewee is known to say ridiculous jokes/statements that don't translate onto paper too well...

:rolleyes:

That's the biggest understatement ever :P

I think Coldplay's lives and our lives would be a billion times easier if there was a disclaimer attached to all of his interviews:

Warning: Interviewee is known to say ridiculous jokes/statements that don't translate onto paper too well...

:rolleyes:

:laugh3:

He's like the boy who cried wolf. Except he never cries "wolf" he just give a big, silly, rambling speech about a dog he saw that gets interpreted as wolf.

Which turns out to be a poodle.

E News?! Oh shit, that means that everyone will be bugging me about it at school tomorrow :rolleyes:

He's like the boy who cried wolf. Except he never cries "wolf" he just give a big, silly, rambling speech about a dog he saw that gets interpreted as wolf.

Or a boy who tries to make a joke about a dog, and doesn't realize that only he gets the joke.. And everyone else thinks he's reporting a murder.

aww but it worries me anyways..

I don't want them to stop making their music yet :\

I've only been a fan for a couple of months and I want it to last forever! Even if I know that Chris and his friends won't make music forever.. but still.

I want it to last for a long time.

But hey, if they ever stop making music, a lot of fans will be sooo mad at them that they won'T have any other choice than starting to compose again :P

:lol:

i actually laughed out loud at this one.

in some ways i don't think chris is aware that he runs his mouth off like this and freaks us all out--i think he's just the sort to say what's on his mind in that moment to make people laugh or just to say something. but in other ways, i think he says a lot of this stuff to mess with the reporters, like the time he said they all sat around sewing together rather than just saying "we customized our jackets ourselves" or when he went on about being basically addicted to ambien. i liken it to playing with his food: he's playing with the media. i just wonder if he's ever going to actually eat them (figuratively!).

well, i guess maybe he has, or has tried to the few times he's lost it with paps :uhoh: