✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay's Chris Martin Hints Retirement Next Year

busybeeburns

not to beat a dead horse, but chris is writing songs on the road, too. of course, he's a prolific writer and will probably write for the rest of his life, with or without a band, but he AND R42, i believe, said that he had some of these in mind for the next album, and that "the best is yet to come" (paraphrased). i don't know how well we can hold them to their original statement about LP5 being released in 2009, but i think their brains are already churning about LP5. i bet we'll see LP6 before we seriously have to worry about them breaking up.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remember to take EVERYTHING that comes out of chris's mouth (and even management's mouths, since they've been wrong before) with a HUGE grain of salt. i believe nothing until they make some sort of obvious statement on the website or something :lol:.

nah, i highly doubt they'd say "WE'RE RETIRING" in so many words on the website, but i do think they might make it slightly more obvious that they were going away rather than just ending the tour and then never ever hearing from them again.

^exactly. :P

i really believe these are men without long-term plans. i'll bet anything they go on feeling more than anything, and as modest and self-defeating as chris can be to the press, thinking they have no fans or anything like that, i bet they KNOW they can't quit now. in some ways, i think they've just figured out a lot about themselves and their music, and they know it would be a waste to stop now.

Amen;)

not to beat a dead horse, but chris is writing songs on the road, too. of course, he's a prolific writer and will probably write for the rest of his life, with or without a band, but he AND R42, i believe, said that he had some of these in mind for the next album, and that "the best is yet to come" (paraphrased). i don't know how well we can hold them to their original statement about LP5 being released in 2009, but i think their brains are already churning about LP5. i bet we'll see LP6 before we seriously have to worry about them breaking up.

I agree with what you said Chelsea.

What i thought is, I always thought that they're seeming to be happy with their tour now.With the new EP coming they'll extend the tour.And also after taking some time off at the end of 2009 will take some time to record something again with some new fresh idea.Like this they'll be some kind of masters with 2 or 3 more albums and then they'll be at the position of U2 then afterwards they'll take time to visit more countries which they haven't toured previously.Because Madonna and many other veterans are doing even in their old age too so i hope Coldplay in such a status they are in the world will definitely do that too.:)

remember that there has been plenty of inteviews since this record has come out about how they are going to basically keep going as a band...they may not have put it in plain choice of words like "we will make 5 more albums" type thing, but there has been plenty, plenty of different things all the members have said about continuing on from where will has said that the first 3 albums are a trilogy and this is the new direction to when chris said this record is the first album in this direction and they want to see where it ends up...plus, coldplay has never ever been the type of band to plan anything to far, so asking them about their next record regardless of what an interview said about the future when they havent even played 1 hometown gig in london is shooting a bit too far...

weve still got an entire year ahead of us of more viva la vida promotion so lets all relax and continue to enjoy this record for a while as well as the ep when its released.

Lol, yeah we'll lock Chris up like in "misery"!

Chris: (nervously plays piano) h-how does that s-s-sound?

Coldplayer: (shocks Chris)

Chris: oww!! What's wrong now?!?

Coldplayer: Still sounds too much like Speed of Sound!

Chris: I changed the riff AND the chords, what more could you want! OWW!! Stop that!

Coldplayer: It needs to be sexier! Make it like yes!...and amsterdam...AND strawberry swing! Combine them! but make it sound completely different!

Chris: (under his breath) why don't you try writing this you son of a b...

Coldplayer: What was that!

Chris: Nothing sir!!!

Coldplayer: Then stop slacking, otherwise I'll have to give you back over to the perv unit!!

Chris: (screams) No! n-no need for that! I...I-I Just got a great idea!!! (frantically plays piano).

ROTFL

Plus, at the point where he is right now, Chris is probably just freakin' tired!

Rereading the article makes me think that it's just a reprinting of previous statements,

rather than a new interview. I could be wrong but it happens pretty often. Reporters

and such get bored, find old news/statements and bring 'em back to life.

Probably to keep things stirred up--as if that were necessary!

I don't think he is "joking" per se, but I don't think the band's retirement is emminant(sp) either.

Chris is probably serious in regards to his feelings about getting a bit older etc. It's fun to be in a band and on the road all the time when you're young, but Chris (and all the boys really) are older now, they have families and wives and just other assorted stuff in their lives they probably want to do more than they want to play music. (though frm all indications they all still genuinely enjoy that as well).

Lots of rock stars have made similar comments when they were around the age Chris is now (again, I believe quite truthfully), but are still out there performing. Not least of all I imagine for the lack of something to do with their lives and for the continued lure of the money.

Although, I don't believe the members of Coldplay value money to the excessive level that many of their famous peers do, in all likelyhood, it's nice to earn as much as they have. Given that they haven't made Rolling Stones or U2 level money, I doubt they'd be able to actually fully retire and support themselves for the rest of their lives (certainly not in the style to which they've grown accustomed.) Money is a huge lure (and like most things the more you have the more you want.) While it would suck for they boys to stay together just to squeeze the last drop of out revenue out of the fans (-COUGH-Metallica-COUGH:rolleyes:), it's probably enough of a lure to keep them coming back. (At least for a while)

Ok, if you stayed with me through the money paragraph, I'd like to make one final point. Even if they did split, that in no way diminishes the music they've already made and put into the world. Consider these bands who spent less time together (or at least as commercially known bands)- than Coldplay has been together, yet are still beloved by people and whose influence is still felt today:

-The Beatles

-The Smiths

-Ride

-The Sugarcubes

-The Sex Pistols

-Nirvana

Each of those bands is considered to have made an enormous contribution to they're genre of music. So... even if Coldplay were to break up (and I'm by no means convinced they will anytime soon), they would hardly be in bad company. Personally, I'd much prefer that option than having them end up like Oasis are today...

I'd like to think that Coldplay are not motivated by money at all. I've always seen them as a band who love what they do , have fun doing it, and the money has just been a bonus.

I really don't think Chris' soul is motivated by money at all. He really doesn't come across that way. He may be one of the richest men in Britain, but I constantly see someone driven by perfection and artistic desire.

I've always liked the idea that Coldplay are a band done good bewildered and bemused by their own success.

remember that there has been plenty of inteviews since this record has come out about how they are going to basically keep going as a band...they may not have put it in plain choice of words like "we will make 5 more albums" type thing, but there has been plenty, plenty of different things all the members have said about continuing on from where will has said that the first 3 albums are a trilogy and this is the new direction to when chris said this record is the first album in this direction and they want to see where it ends up...plus, coldplay has never ever been the type of band to plan anything to far, so asking them about their next record regardless of what an interview said about the future when they havent even played 1 hometown gig in london is shooting a bit too far...

weve still got an entire year ahead of us of more viva la vida promotion so lets all relax and continue to enjoy this record for a while as well as the ep when its released.

exactly. i forgot about the trilogy thing :D. if they keep talking about a new direction that they say VLVOD has ushered in, they've got to TAKE that new direction, haven't they? :P

everyone just breathe :wink:. remember that chris is crazy (in a loveable, adorable, musical-genius way)

plus, can you even see chris having a normal job? didnt think so.

i don't think he'd ever NEED to have a normal job with the money he and his wife have raked in over the years! :lol:

:o

I don't know what to say,but if i don't see him i'll really die with some or some disease...He's the only one who keeps my life going...:cry:

Actually ,the thing that really keeps you alive is your heart and lungs and the air and the food :wacky:

But hey in any case, i hope i'm invited to the funeral :cool3:

Psh, that article doesn't scare me!

a) He's been saying the whole "get one more album out and then disappear" thing since they started promoting VLV. No one's considered it as anything more than another moment like the Grammy speech.

b) It's obviously one of those articles where they take a tongue-in-cheek quote of his and blow it up out of context. Remember after the Rolling Stone interview in June, all of those "CHRIS MARTIN IS JEALOUS OF BRAD PITT" stories? :rolleyes:

c) And if Chris was seriously talking about retiring, he would definitely be serious about it and not give reasons like balding (although we all know how sensitive he is about that :P ).

I'm not too worried! We'll have the usual long wait in between albums, but there will be another one.

Please come to Perth first! Please come to Perth first! Please come to Perth first! Please come to Perth first! Please come to Perth first! Please come to Perth first! Please come to Perth first! Please come to Perth first! Please come to Perth first! Please come to Perth first! Please come to Perth first! Please come to Perth first! Please come to Perth first! Please come to Perth first!

oh plus i forgot that when they played st. paul a few days ago chris told the crowd they would be back in the near future with some new music as well, i dont know if that just means the ep, or a new album or whatever, but its good news anyways.

plus, its only their 4th record (excluding the live one), they really do have quite a long way to go in that sense.