✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay's Chris Martin Hints Retirement Next Year

busybeeburns

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read it on the MTVgerman teletext buhuhuh :bigcry:

well, I'm imagining a crowd of angry Coldplayers in front of the bakery when they're going to stop. We WILL make them creating beautiful music, pah! :veryangry2:;)

Lol, yeah we'll lock Chris up like in "misery"!

Chris: (nervously plays piano) h-how does that s-s-sound?

Coldplayer: (shocks Chris)

Chris: oww!! What's wrong now?!?

Coldplayer: Still sounds too much like Speed of Sound!

Chris: I changed the riff AND the chords, what more could you want! OWW!! Stop that!

Coldplayer: It needs to be sexier! Make it like yes!...and amsterdam...AND strawberry swing! Combine them! but make it sound completely different!

Chris: (under his breath) why don't you try writing this you son of a b...

Coldplayer: What was that!

Chris: Nothing sir!!!

Coldplayer: Then stop slacking, otherwise I'll have to give you back over to the perv unit!!

Chris: (screams) No! n-no need for that! I...I-I Just got a great idea!!! (frantically plays piano).

Chris: I changed the riff AND the chords, what more could you want! OWW!! Stop that!

Coldplayer: It needs to be sexier! Make it like yes!...and amsterdam...AND strawberry swing! Combine them! but make it sound completely different!

Coldplayer: Then stop slacking, otherwise I'll have to give you back over to the perv unit!!

Chris: (screams) No! n-no need for that! I...I-I Just got a great idea!!! (frantically plays piano).

:lol::lol::lol:

Chained on the stool!

:lol:

:laugh3: Hilarious!

I don't think he is "joking" per se, but I don't think the band's retirement is emminant(sp) either.

Chris is probably serious in regards to his feelings about getting a bit older etc. It's fun to be in a band and on the road all the time when you're young, but Chris (and all the boys really) are older now, they have families and wives and just other assorted stuff in their lives they probably want to do more than they want to play music. (though frm all indications they all still genuinely enjoy that as well).

Lots of rock stars have made similar comments when they were around the age Chris is now (again, I believe quite truthfully), but are still out there performing. Not least of all I imagine for the lack of something to do with their lives and for the continued lure of the money.

Although, I don't believe the members of Coldplay value money to the excessive level that many of their famous peers do, in all likelyhood, it's nice to earn as much as they have. Given that they haven't made Rolling Stones or U2 level money, I doubt they'd be able to actually fully retire and support themselves for the rest of their lives (certainly not in the style to which they've grown accustomed.) Money is a huge lure (and like most things the more you have the more you want.) While it would suck for they boys to stay together just to squeeze the last drop of out revenue out of the fans (-COUGH-Metallica-COUGH:rolleyes:), it's probably enough of a lure to keep them coming back. (At least for a while)

Ok, if you stayed with me through the money paragraph, I'd like to make one final point. Even if they did split, that in no way diminishes the music they've already made and put into the world. Consider these bands who spent less time together (or at least as commercially known bands)- than Coldplay has been together, yet are still beloved by people and whose influence is still felt today:

-The Beatles

-The Smiths

-Ride

-The Sugarcubes

-The Sex Pistols

-Nirvana

Each of those bands is considered to have made an enormous contribution to they're genre of music. So... even if Coldplay were to break up (and I'm by no means convinced they will anytime soon), they would hardly be in bad company. Personally, I'd much prefer that option than having them end up like Oasis are today...

*snorts* :laugh3::lol:

was this posted?

Q. Hi!

I saw on a website that Chris wanted to stop the musique at 33. :(

Is that true??

The Oracle replies:

I wouldn't say ignore everything you read in the press per se but I would advise you to take many things Chris says with a pinch of salt. Of course when he says things like this it makes a big news headline, but the actual truth is Chris doesn't necessarily mean he's gonna be done when he's 33, he's making the point that he doesn't think they'll have much of a place when they're old men! That's a long time off and who knows how they'll feel along that journey? Don't take everything you hear to literally, sometimes it's a moment in time and nothing more.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, Chris has the gift to make people go crazy with his interviews. But i know that they will keep on going for a few years!

Still waiting for album5,6,7... ;)

Anyway, you guys remember this one?

fddkb4.jpg

:D it is not the first time we hear this kind of crap btw :)

Kurt Kobain said it's better to burn out than to fade away

who knows if chris shares idea

either way u2 and green day are prety old, coldplay can push another half- decade

or decade.

we'll see what happens. At the end of the day they just to be part of the list

(my opinion)

-50s elvis

-60s beatles

-70s i think the who or john lennon

-80s u2 or smiths

-90s nirvana

2000s- THEY WANT TO BE HERE

Even if they did "retire" (which now looks to have been all but debunked thanks to that Oracle posting). That doesn't really mean anything in and of itself. There are tons of bands who retired/broke up etc. only to reform at some point in the future. (happened just recently with one of my favorites from the 90's, Spacehog).

Conversely, ther are any bands that while still technically together, haven released new material in years, making them retired in all but name...

Anyway, if they do break up Will has the inside track to being the Phil Collins of this generation(except without the sucking...:laugh3:)

Given that they haven't made Rolling Stones or U2 level money, I doubt they'd be able to actually fully retire and support themselves for the rest of their lives (certainly not in the style to which they've grown accustomed.)

you doubt ? they are MILLIONAIRES,not @ the same level of u2 and rolling stones,but they still fuckin millionaires,are you kidding me ?

my opinion is that i agree with what he's saying to a certain extent, the other "biggest bands" in the world have been on holiday making new records and such, but the thing is, regardless of that, coldplay will always sell out concerts and sell records, because they write great songs and that will never ever change due to some other band being big at the time.

yes they all have families and children and such, but if you think about it, chris has been planning the end of the band since parachutes was released and he always says this can end tomorrow so they always try and make the best of it. the only thing that worries me is that with this ep being released in a few weeks, that officially marks the end of their contract to EMI. so who really knows what will happen after the touring cycle for viva la vida is done.

they may call it quits, they may make another 15 records and just tour differently who knows. im not worried about it until it happens, and even then there is always other bands that will be around to help make up for it if coldplay does take a break or call it quits, they have been an amazing band to say the least and they have been a majorly part of my life, but honestly, i dont see this as being it, i really dont.

i respect them to the utmost and whatever decision they choose to do is up to them obviously. but viva la vida cannot be the last coldplay record simply because its a brand new sound for them. im sure they want to explore other areas of it before its all said and done. the only difference might be there record releases and touring schedule.