✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay's Chris Martin Hints Retirement Next Year

busybeeburns

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well imagine the surprise of coming home, after a VERY rough day, to hear that the lead singer of my favorite band is apparently talking about retirement/quits.

actually at this point i bursted out laughing....dunno if it was an impulse of calling bluff or the humor in finding out that the day COULD actually get worse. even if this turns out to be one of those BS moments by Chris, i would've still dropped everything for festival & stadium gigs in the upcoming year anyway (assuming those are indeed booked and ready to go), all to see Coldplay in person again for the Nth time and it'd be worth it. :dozey:

wow i sounded apathetic, lol.

i agree with the other poster before.....he was probably just saying whatever was on his mind at the time. frankly, it all makes sense and i respect the reasons for doing so (retiring from the job, i mean), but nonetheless........:cry:

Well it could be true - who knows what will happen in a year or two. But this is also something that happens every so often - Chris jokes about being too old/too fat to be a rock star and something about retirement and it turns into something set into stone. I think we always need to remember that journalists are trying to get the most media attention from their stories and interviews. And it's worked - we're all talking about it! Anyway, If it's a year away then there is no point worrying about it now :-)

I was on another forum (sports forum) and someone created a thread in the Off Topic section about this. What really bugs me is that everyone that has posted in that thread are happy that Chris said that he was going to retire. I conclude from those comments in that thread just proved to me that those folks really are stupid and I am the smartest person in that forum.

Anyways, I hope it's not true because Coldplay is one of the few musicians in today's music era that actually make quality music. I would hate to see all that talent and musicianship to disappear that early. The music industry needs Coldplay and true music lovers need Coldplay.

haha yay ive never seen that before. i really like the sig:D

Thanks! I'm glad I could show you stuff you've not seen before!

Do you know "The Nappies"?

:laugh3:

He's like the boy who cried wolf. Except he never cries "wolf" he just give a big, silly, rambling speech about a dog he saw that gets interpreted as wolf.

Which turns out to be a poodle.

Great comparison! :laugh3:

I was on another forum (sports forum) and someone created a thread in the Off Topic section about this. What really bugs me is that everyone that has posted in that thread are happy that Chris said that he was going to retire. I conclude from those comments in that thread just proved to me that those folks really are stupid and I am the smartest person in that forum.

Funny that this news made it to the most far-off places.

There is something cognitive about music to a person who plays music for a LIVING. Musicians constantly doubt themselves and there abilities, and as much as coldplay say they arent "good enough" as a joke they mean it at times.

Weird thing about music though is once you learn it and do it for a living you can't go back from it. You can't go to a 9-5 because at that point music is in ur blood. It's almost an addiction. Someone already stated how Chris constantly makes statements about being too old or being not good enough. I'm sure when they do decide to give it all up they will realize that music is pretty much the only thing they can do, and quickly resolve to do no such thing.

So to sum it up coldplay loves music therefore they shall never stop doing it!

someone probably already posted this, but here we go, straight from the oracle's mouth:

November 18, 2008 - submitted by Fabia, France

Q. Hi!

I saw on a website that Chris wanted to stop the musique at 33. :(

Is that true??

The Oracle replies:

I wouldn't say ignore everything you read in the press per se but I would advise you to take many things Chris says with a pinch of salt. Of course when he says things like this it makes a big news headline, but the actual truth is Chris doesn't necessarily mean he's gonna be done when he's 33, he's making the point that he doesn't think they'll have much of a place when they're old men! That's a long time off and who knows how they'll feel along that journey? Don't take everything you hear to literally, sometimes it's a moment in time and nothing more.

Well they just got the Bakery for making Viva la Vida. They've been talking about how much they love everything. They talked about an end of 2009 record to celebrate ten years. Also...aren't they on a seven record contract deal with EMI. Don't they need to finish that?

Coldplay can't retire. I understand if they slow down because of their families, but that doesn't have to come entirely at the expense of their music.

Well they just got the Bakery for making Viva la Vida. They've been talking about how much they love everything. They talked about an end of 2009 record to celebrate ten years. Also...aren't they on a seven record contract deal with EMI. Don't they need to finish that?

Coldplay can't retire. I understand if they slow down because of their families, but that doesn't have to come entirely at the expense of their music.

yes, maybe you're right.

I think they may want to just give a short break ... They have families and they miss their wives and children... But I think it won't be soon, I mean, they will have to finish some things first, as footyfan said.

I don't know what to believe!

Nah, he's probably just joking as ususal. :uhoh: Come on, Chris "can't keep his hands off" making music, right? But maybe he can keep them off releasing music...:worried:

They better come to Denmark first, or I'll kick their asses! :veryangry:

yes, i totally agree with you! they can't just stop now?:worried:

i can't believe it, hope it's one of his usual jokes as you said.

and yeah, they really have to come to Denmark!

sjovt endelig at se en dansker på coldplaying, har ikke set mange indtil videre..

Stop after 2009?

I found this one, what the heck? :stunned:

http://www.nme.com/news/coldplay/41153

Coldplay's Chris Martin has suggested that he plans to split up the band at the end of 2009.

The frontman told the Daily Express that his decision was based on his view that bands should call it a day before they get too old – saying he wanted to go out with a blast by keeping as busy as possible until 2009 ends.

"I'm 31 now and I don't think that bands should keep going past 33," he said. "So, we're trying to pack in as much as possible. Up until the end of next year, we'll just go for it in every sense.

"I don't believe in time off. We've still got most of our hair, we can still fit into our musical trousers and we've got to make the most of that.

I think it's true.

Today it was also anounced on dutch television on the daily news.

Also there are some "strange"remarks Chris made during the concert in Rotterdam.

Like 'I think we wil back in a year or so"

I can also understand it, they are millionaires with families.

Maybe it's just time to get a life.