✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay's Chris Martin Hints Retirement Next Year

busybeeburns

OK i know you can't believe everything you read but... does anyone know anything about Chris and a lawyer lady friend. I just read it on a gossip site (i know, I know) Laineygossip.com. I was kinda shocked to read that, but who knows I'm sure all of that is made up. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of him cheating,. Apparentley there marriage isn't what it seems and maybe he wants to "retitre" to work on the marraige. God i hope they don't retire :cry:

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how no one actually knows where the quotes originally came from or who Chris was talking to at the time.

From the NME: "The frontman told the Daily Express that his decision was based on his view that bands should call it a day before they get too old"

So I look up the Daily Express article, and what is it?: http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/71693/Martin-The-best-bands-are-on-holiday-

Another article based around those two quotes, no source. :dozey:

Come on media people, do your research before you reprint crap. :P

OK i know you can't believe everything you read but... does anyone know anything about Chris and a lawyer lady friend. I just read it on a gossip site (i know, I know) Laineygossip.com. I was kinda shocked to read that, but who knows I'm sure all of that is made up. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of him cheating,. Apparentley there marriage isn't what it seems and maybe he wants to "retitre" to work on the marraige. God i hope they don't retire :cry:

That's just Lainey speculating on second-hand gossip she's heard. Don't believe a word of it- it'll do you no good.

That's just Lainey speculating on second-hand gossip she's heard. Don't believe a word of it- it'll do you no good.

Yeah she can be a pain in the ass. Your 100% right on that. I know she's not a fan of him and never has hard facts.:rolleyes:

Yeah she can be a pain in the ass. Your 100% right on that. I know she's not a fan of him and never has hard facts.:rolleyes:
Oh, she likes him ok. She's said before that Radiohead and Coldplay are her favorite bands.

She just likes the idea that her perfect prissy Gwyneth would stay in a loveless marriage for appearances sake even more. :dozey: :snore:

I just read the article here http://www.comcast.net/music/blindedbythehype/3832/coldplayannouncebreakup/ I was like WTF?! Who knows what will happen, the band will pull a Verve. Go away for 10 years and then come back 10 years later. All things aside i really hope this retirement isnt a permnant thing. Only time will tell....

-Jesse-

Didnt chris just get through saying he was having the time of his life?

Okay, this is getting pretty out of hand. I just saw an article about this coupled with another one that claims that Gwyneth skipped their Miami show, which means that she and Chris divorcing. :rolleyes:

I think they need to release a statement or something before this gets even messier... Chris, what did you do?! :P

Well...not sure if this is true, but I hope not. I think they are just getting better and better with every album!

I wish he would not compare them with U2 or Green Day. Now U2 and Green Day are in my top five bands way up high, but Coldplay are just as good, and at times much better.

Every band, every musician has a certain appeal, a certain feel to their music, and so I try to never compare them personally. Coldplay are Coldplay, and they mean a ton to me, just like my other fave bands. There are things Coldplay have gotten me through that those other bands have not....or could not. Period.

So I do hope they stick around, if they want to, because I think they still have a lot to offer musically.

So ...yeah. Sorry that was a bit long.

Not to change the subject but speaking of Greenday i just read an article about them saying that there on the cover of Alternative Presses "Most Anticipated Albums Of The 2009" issue (Onsale Dec. 9) Im looking forward to there new album comming out as well as U2's! Another thing if you go to Greendays website under "Tour" it says "WORLD TOUR COMMING SOON". The must be great live. But back to the Coldplay breakup didnt NME take the article off there site?

-Jesse-

Chris forgets to realise that Green Day is only big because of their hit albums like American Idiot or Dookie - they're not very consistent with their success :P

I adore Green Day, but when someone is right they are right.

Despite a strong fan base that loves their less successful work, commercially Green Day are hit and miss.

Coldplay have been consistently strong. At least from what I have seen.

U2 stay pretty strong, except for the Pop phase.

Not to change the subject but speaking of Greenday i just read an article about them saying that there on the cover of Alternative Presses "Most Anticipated Albums Of The 2009" issue (Onsale Dec. 9) Im looking forward to there new album comming out as well as U2's! Another thing if you go to Greendays website under "Tour" it says "WORLD TOUR COMMING SOON". The must be great live. But back to the Coldplay breakup didnt NME take the article off there site?

-Jesse-

I am looking forward to both albums as well!

Between Coldplay, Green Day and U2 I never run out of music to look forward to.

Yes Green Day's tour is probably going to be around Summer next year, with an early 09 album release.

OK back on track. Sorry. I was not aware that NME took the article off their site, but if they did it would prove it was unreliable.

It just seems inconsistent with what I have heard, read and seen. Although really that is more a matter of my opinion of those three things.

I found the original article.

(With a little help from the L.A.Times)

CHRIS WAS JOKING, PEOPLE.

(Seriously, though. Read it. It's hilarious.)

Behold:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20240209,00.html

ENTERTAINERS OF THE YEAR

Coldplay: Entertainers of the Year

The British rockers expanded their sound on ''Viva La Vida''

By Simon Vozick-Levinson

Coldplay leaped headlong into the unknown with Viva La Vida. Frontman Chris Martin traded in his customary falsetto for a lower register. Bandmates Jonny Buckland, Will Champion, and Guy Berryman experimented with raucous dissonance. And with help from legendary producer Brian Eno, the English quartet obliterated the earnest rock formula that made them global superstars. The risk paid off: Viva La Vida sold 1.8 million copies, and its title track scored 2.56 million (paid) downloads. Martin called EW between tour stops to discuss the year.

EW: Viva La Vida expanded your sound considerably. Where do you go next?

Chris Martin: It only came out about three weeks ago — that's how it feels. We're just getting to the point where we're having a great time playing it live. [Pauses] I'm 31 now, and I don't think that bands should keep going past 33, so we're trying to pack in as much as possible.

EW: Really? Nothing past 33?

CM: Well, we definitely know what we'd like to do up until the end of next year, and that's just go for it in every sense.

EW: On Saturday Night Live last month, you played three songs, instead of the usual two. Why?

CM: Well, as you know, SNL is a comedy show, and a lot of people think of our band as a joke. So that's maybe why they let us play more.

EW: With the evolution of the band's sound, how do you feel about playing your older songs?

CM: We're always happy to play ''Yellow'' or ''Clocks'' or ''Fix You'' or whatever it is, because they've been passports to get us where we are.

EW: You're about to release an EP, Prospekt's March, on Nov. 25. How did that come together?

CM: When we had to hand our album in, there were songs we loved that we just hadn't gotten time to do. Over the summer, we finished them and added new ones. We were waiting to see how Viva went down, and then we would decide if we were brave enough to put out these other ones.

EW: The EP features a new version of ''Lost!'' with a rap verse from Jay-Z. Why that direction?

CM: We'll work with anyone that we love, and obviously we love Jay. But we've done that now, so the most interesting thing that we could do is the complete opposite, and play banjo on a Miley Cyrus record. Which I would equally be as thrilled to do.

EW: So what do you think has made Coldplay one of the biggest bands in the world?

CM: The reason we're the biggest band in the world at the moment is because the others are on holiday. That's how you get your breaks. That's how the understudy gets his opportunity. While U2 and Green Day are away, we've gotten to make the most of it. But I don't think it's got anything to do with talent. There's people much more talented than us that aren't famous, and people that are much less talented who are much more famous. [! :laugh3:]

EW: You've been promoting the hell out of this album. Are you looking forward to time off?

CM: I don't believe in time off. We've still got most of our hair, and we can still fit into our musical trousers. We have to make the most of that!

Posted Nov 14, 2008 | Published in issue #1021-1022 Nov 21, 2008

See, now if those stupid tabloids would quote their sources, people would have read this to begin with. The stupid chopped-up out of context article was even in my local paper this morning. :veryangry2: