✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

12-Sep-2009: Manchester, LCCC, UK - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

Jenjie

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argh, this attitude really pisses me off. So you wanna watch indie kids and blokes with guitars for 5 hours? How boring!

I know! I hate it when the support band is just some poor-mans version of the headline act. And actually, I think Jay-Z's whole set was a lot more 'rock' than most people would have expected. So many people that I've told about the show just expected him to be performing to a recording, they've all been surprised he had a live band.

At first I was like

bla bla bla bla, woman pissing in pint glass, bla bla bla jay z jay z songs 99 problems chatter about support act superfans singing along to jay z jigga what jigga who COLDPLAY gay end review

LOLWTF? This review is shit

but then I saw this

kelweb2.jpg

all my questions were answered and I stopped caring

Why is this fuckwit even writing a review for Coldplay, anyway? Couldn't they have at least sent someone DECENT along? It's clear she only enjoyed Jay Z somewhat, but even then didn't like the whole thing. Not to mention the necessary blabbing about some chick pissing in a cup, which is SHIT NOBODY CARES ABOUT in a review.

Good for NME. I've been baffled by the universal praise this tour has gotten. I saw the VLV tour in three cities (in two countries) and got more disappointed at each show. Would it kill them to change the set list once in a while? Play a b-side or more than a handful of non-singles? And don't even get me started at the amount of pre-recorded instrument tracks they have been piping in lately. After watching Elbow pull off "One Day Like This" and "Tower Crane Driver" 100% live with two violinists, I don't know how anyone can clap or cheer after Coldplay does a karioke version of Viva La Vida.

I hope Chris Martin tapes a copy of this review to his bathroom mirror and reads it every morning. Time to become a rock band again, boys.

I've been baffled by the universal praise this tour has gotten.

Maybe it's because all the people that saw them (myself included) had an amazing time!

Number one fan!

FRANK Sinatra was the best chart topper ever, reckons South Yorkshire music buff Chris Thornton.

And the 64-year-old should know - because he reckons he has notched up 600 chart toppers on the list of live acts he has seen over the years.

Some of them are not quite perfect because of changed line ups and bands splitting up.

But Chris, of Castle Crescent, Conisbrough, believes there can be few people who have seen more number one acts who have made the top in either the US or UK.

His list dates back to the 1960s when he saw the Count Basie Orchestra perform at Sheffield City Hall, whose leader hit the top of the charts with Open the Door Richard in 1947.

Two years later, the former postman extended his list, seeing The Animals and Chuck Berry, who made the top with House of the Rising Sun and My Ding-A-Ling respectively.

Since then he has kept on with his shows, finally seeing rat pack crooner Sinatra in 1988 when he performed at London Docklands.

And he finally passed the 600 mark according to his own records when he saw rapper Jay Z as part of a show at Manchester's Old Trafford cricket ground which also featured Coldplay.

He left before Coldplay came on stage because he had already seen them - and the last train home was at 9.30pm.

It topped off a run of shows this year which has also included taking in Vera Lynn, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Lily Allen, The Specials and Blur.

He also saw the New Honeycombs, the successors to the band which had a hit with Have I the Right? in the 60s, and counted them on his list even though all the original members are now dead.

But Chris is not stopping at 600 - he is continuing to notch up the chart toppers including Stuart MacDonald, formerly of the Lord Rockingham XI, a chart topper with Hoots Mon in the 1950s.

And on Sunday he expects to boost his figures by seeing David Gest - My life featuring acts including Percy Sledge, Deniece Williams, Billy Paul and Freda Payne. Acts raging from Cascada to the Mantovani Orchestra are on his list of shows he plans to take in over the next few months.

But despite having seen the great names and pretty much every genre under the sun, it is Old Blue Eyes which remains top of his own pops.

He said: "I think Frank Sinatra must be my favourite. That was in 1988 at London Docklands. It cost £50 for a round trip including the travel and the ticket.

"It was special because of his reputation. I had grown up with his music ever since I was young. You would hear him on the radio along with Bing Crosby. His voice was so good."

But the act which took him through the 600 barrier does not get the same praise from Chris, who admits rap is not for him, although he has seen Tinchy Stryder and Dizzee Rascal to add to his list.

"I'm not keen on those hip hop acts - I just don't think much to them. But I went to see them because they got to number one, and I'm trying to see as many as I can.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/doncaster/Number-one-fan.5699926.jp

• 1 year later...

Couldn't bring myself to waste my 5,000th post in some crap thread :P - started thinking about all the wonderful people I met at this gig, many of whom have turned out to be real life friends. Can't believe it has been almost 2 years now?! Incredible how time flies. Good memories. The fun in the queue, the stupidly high bass of White Lies :laugh4:, getting a bit of a tan in Manchester, leaving my passport in the hotel and having Mrs. Coldplaying pick it up for me. I'd like to think that yellow ball is still out there... somewhere :P.

<3 ya Coldplaying!

:vuvuzela:

Couldn't bring myself to waste my 5,000th post in some crap thread :P - started thinking about all the wonderful people I met at this gig, many of whom have turned out to be real life friends. Can't believe it has been almost 2 years now?! Incredible how time flies. Good memories. The fun in the queue, the stupidly high bass of White Lies :laugh4:, getting a bit of a tan in Manchester, leaving my passport in the hotel and having Mrs. Coldplaying pick it up for me. I'd like to think that yellow ball is still out there... somewhere :P.

<3 ya Coldplaying!

:vuvuzela:

congratulations!!! :D I hear the day at LCCC was a good one :p

congratulations!!! :D I hear the day at LCCC was a good one :p

:bigcry: that you weren't there!

Though of course I include the dinner beforehand in the meeting lovely people part :P :D.

:bigcry: that you weren't there!

I'm a little sorry I missed it, but you've got to agree the trade off is a very cute one! did I ever send you a pic of him in his pjs?

Though of course I include the dinner beforehand in the meeting lovely people part :P :D.

nice save :p although as I got my very own mention I'm sufficiently happy :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...