✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

16-Sep-2009: Hampden Park, Glasgow - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

Jenjie

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Anyone who went to Hampden. Do you know what time Coldplay finished, as the Coldplay website said 10:40pm. As we are going to London show tomorrow. (So excited) We have bought train tickets and will miss the last trin home if they actually finish when they say they will. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks

Hi, Anyone who went to Hampden. Do you know what time Coldplay finished, as the Coldplay website said 10:40pm. As we are going to London show tomorrow. (So excited) We have bought train tickets and will miss the last trin home if they actually finish when they say they will. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks

I think they finished at around 10.40 but the London gigs will be finished later. The official site states that the band will be on from 9.00 till 11.00 PM.

Good luck on taking the train home! :nice:

AHHHHH Fudge I'm in love with your pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

They are so beautiful!!!

I'm impressed by Will pictures, because it's so difficult to take a good picture of him.

And Guy smiling...congrat's!

I love the one where Guy, Will and Jonny are applausing and Chris is already leaving the stage, as if he didn't care... :lol:

Coldplay in Glasgow Scotland on 16.9.9

YouTube - Coldplay - Lost feat. Jay-Z Hampden Park Glasgow[/url]

Thank you, Swenky for posting that 5-minute-long video with the ending of Viva la Vida and the seamless crossover to Lost+ feat. Jay-Z. :)

I had just seen "Roskilde Backstage" (on Danish TV) which ended with Coldplay playing 3 of their songs (with the best audience response): In My Place, Strawberry Swing and a prolonged version of Viva la Vida, but Viva la Vida ended just seconds before my highlight: Where Chris Martin swings his legs above his head getting onto his feet only to run back to the main stage for Lost! "Oh, no" was my thought. So it was nice for me to see your video which started with the ending of Viva la Vida. The sound on your video was very good. The next Lost+ video here (posted a little later than your post) is closer to Jay-Z and the band. You can actually see what Jay-Z was doing on stage. I had a laugh when seeing that Jay-Z after having done his part went to the keyboard and then over to Chris where he touched Chris' shoulder or back - Chris looked back as if thinking: What ... Often Chris has been disturbing Jonny and his guitar play during songs, now Jay-Z did the same to Chris. :D

And thank you, everyone for your reviews, videos and comments! :)

INCREDIBLE!!!!!

Oh. My. Gosh :o Coldplay's Hampden gig was my first experience ever of seeing the best band in the world live (my first proper concert too for that matter :laugh3:) and it was officially the best night of my life. Ever. No exaggeration :shocked2: I have loved Coldplay with all of my heart since 4 years ago when my cousin played The Scientist for me on the piano and since then my admiration, love and just general addiction for Coldplay has just grown and grown and grown. And seeing them live, I can fully understand why they've been nominated for so many Best Live Act awards :smug: It was... fabulous, fantastic, incredible, amazing, and all the other words for great that I can't think of atm :lol: Well to put it simply, I didn't care about the stupid, off-their-heads drunk guys next to us, I didn't care about the bad Hampden sound (which I didn't actually think was that bad :rolleyes:) I didn't care about the fact that I could barely see over the 6ft people in front of me (I'm 5'2"/3"!!!) I just absolutely fell in love with Coldplay all over again after seeing them live. All the songs they played were just stunning, Chris Martin has a beautiful voice (cool falsetto too!) Guy Berryman is truly gorgeous ;) Will Champion was putting his heart and soul (like in Politik!) into the drumming and Jonny Buckland was just incredible !!! I l-o-v-e-d their cover of Billie Jean (so funny when Chris was like 'she thinks that Will is the one'!!!) and... OMG, they were just pure dead class, OK!!! They are brilliant showmen, the butterflies were cool as were the big yellow balls (:laugh3:) and ... what more can I say?! If they do a 2010 tour in the UK, there is no way anyone could stop me from going to see them. I've lived the Coldplay live experience and now have really severe withdrawal symptoms!!!!! Listening to a rerun of Jo Whiley's show now and it brings back such good memories :D Incredible. Just incredible... That is all :laugh3:

PS. Thanks for making The Scientist so brilliant, sentimental value coz it was the first Coldplay song I ever heard... :smug: Do a tour next year boys, otherwise I may just have to die!!!!

Oh. My. Gosh :o Coldplay's Hampden gig was my first experience ever of seeing the best band in the world live (my first proper concert too for that matter :laugh3:) and it was officially the best night of my life. Ever. No exaggeration :shocked2: I have loved Coldplay with all of my heart since 4 years ago when my cousin played The Scientist for me on the piano and since then my admiration, love and just general addiction for Coldplay has just grown and grown and grown. And seeing them live, I can fully understand why they've been nominated for so many Best Live Act awards :smug: It was... fabulous, fantastic, incredible, amazing, and all the other words for great that I can't think of atm :lol: Well to put it simply, I didn't care about the stupid, off-their-heads drunk guys next to us, I didn't care about the bad Hampden sound (which I didn't actually think was that bad :rolleyes:) I didn't care about the fact that I could barely see over the 6ft people in front of me (I'm 5'2"/3"!!!) I just absolutely fell in love with Coldplay all over again after seeing them live. All the songs they played were just stunning, Chris Martin has a beautiful voice (cool falsetto too!) Guy Berryman is truly gorgeous ;) Will Champion was putting his heart and soul (like in Politik!) into the drumming and Jonny Buckland was just incredible !!! I l-o-v-e-d their cover of Billie Jean (so funny when Chris was like 'she thinks that Will is the one'!!!) and... OMG, they were just pure dead class, OK!!! They are brilliant showmen, the butterflies were cool as were the big yellow balls (:laugh3:) and ... what more can I say?! If they do a 2010 tour in the UK, there is no way anyone could stop me from going to see them. I've lived the Coldplay live experience and now have really severe withdrawal symptoms!!!!! Listening to a rerun of Jo Whiley's show now and it brings back such good memories :D Incredible. Just incredible... That is all :laugh3:

PS. Thanks for making The Scientist so brilliant, sentimental value coz it was the first Coldplay song I ever heard... :smug: Do a tour next year boys, otherwise I may just have to die!!!!

Ha ha ha...welcome to Coldplay live. It's amazing, incredible, awesome. All of us here know how you feel, and this is why we can't stay away. I'm happy I got to see them 4 times this tour, and can't wait for another tour!

My god, first coldplay gig and i was blown away! Seen them once before at T in the Park but that doesnt count! I wouldnt normally enlist them as one of my fave bands (hence this being only my 2nd post!!) But after hampden i would definitely reconsider! Great show, some funny bits, lost+ was my highlight! My missus is a bit of a short arse so couldnt really see them until they appeared about 5 feet away on the stage in the middle of the pitch so she was chuffed with that! Would love to hear the recording, anyone gonna do the honours and record off radio 1 tommorrow?

Oh. My. Gosh Coldplay's Hampden gig was my first experience ever of seeing the best band in the world live (my first proper concert too for that matter ) and it was officially the best night of my life. Ever. No exaggeration I have loved Coldplay with all of my heart since 4 years ago when my cousin played The Scientist for me on the piano and since then my admiration, love and just general addiction for Coldplay has just grown and grown and grown. And seeing them live, I can fully understand why they've been nominated for so many Best Live Act awards It was... fabulous, fantastic, incredible, amazing, and all the other words for great that I can't think of atm Well to put it simply, I didn't care about the stupid, off-their-heads drunk guys next to us, I didn't care about the bad Hampden sound (which I didn't actually think was that bad ) I didn't care about the fact that I could barely see over the 6ft people in front of me (I'm 5'2"/3"!!!) I just absolutely fell in love with Coldplay all over again after seeing them live. All the songs they played were just stunning, Chris Martin has a beautiful voice (cool falsetto too!) Guy Berryman is truly gorgeous Will Champion was putting his heart and soul (like in Politik!) into the drumming and Jonny Buckland was just incredible !!! I l-o-v-e-d their cover of Billie Jean (so funny when Chris was like 'she thinks that Will is the one'!!!) and... OMG, they were just pure dead class, OK!!! They are brilliant showmen, the butterflies were cool as were the big yellow balls () and ... what more can I say?! If they do a 2010 tour in the UK, there is no way anyone could stop me from going to see them. I've lived the Coldplay live experience and now have really severe withdrawal symptoms!!!!! Listening to a rerun of Jo Whiley's show now and it brings back such good memories Incredible. Just incredible... That is all

PS. Thanks for making The Scientist so brilliant, sentimental value coz it was the first Coldplay song I ever heard... Do a tour next year boys, otherwise I may just have to die!!!!

Agree with everything!

Coldplay came to town and I decided with 40,000 other Scots to go greet them.

The venue was Hampden which I have covered in a previous post...

http://glasgowtheday.blogspot.com/2009/07/o-flower-of-scotland.html

but was good to go back and see it as a concert venue instead...

Once again despite all the rain we have been having Hampden Park was gleaming in the sunshine.

The stage was bathed in sunlight as the kit was set up for the support acts.

First support act up was White Lies. And they were really good. Someone to watch out for in the future.

As the sun began to set over the stadium and the crowd started to gather the second support act got going...

Jay-Z. Now Hip hop not really my thing but he certainly got the crowd going.

Night had fallen. The crowd had gathered.

Time for the show... and was a light and sound spectacular as you may have expected...

With big screen effects and laser shows Chris Martin and the gang had the crowd singing along to all the favourites like Clocks, Fix You, In My Place...

And as they played Yellow giant yellow balloons were launched across the crowd. Somewhat reminiscent of the bubbles that would chase Patrick McGoohan in the Prisoner tv series from the 60's!!

A one point the band did come off the main stage to a small stage in amongst the crowd to do some tracks like Trouble and also a cool cover version of Michael Jackson's Billy Jean!!

And in Viva la Vida Coldplay now have a genuine crowd chant on their hands!! A chant the crowd would break into at any moment throughout the night!!

As an encore, (after being brought back on stage by more Viva la Vida chanting) what else could it be but The Scientist.

And finish it all off with a fantastic firework display from the roof of Hampden!!

And with that it was all over. And with the crowd still chanting Viva la Vida all the way home.

I had forgotten just how much fun stadium gigs could be. And Chris Martin mentioned a few times how amazing it was to have 40,000 Scots singing along. Also great fun to be one of those Scots!! :-)

So thank you to Coldplay for coming to Glasgow and making a crowd happy at Hampden Park!! After the recent disappointment of not getting to the World Cup was good to have something to sing about!! :-)

Be well, be happy!!

http://glasgowtheday.blogspot.com/2009/09/and-it-was-all-yellow.html

The Live Experience – The music vs the show

Our intrepid reporter Mrs.Morrissey attended last nights Coldplay show at Hampden in Glasgow. We’re not carrying a review because it’s Coldplay and it doesn’t count. You know what Coldplay sound like and, in simplistic terms, you’ll know whether you would have enjoyed it or you wouldn’t have. They are Coldplay. They played all the Coldplay hits, and 50,000 people ohwoahwoahed to that one which sounds like ‘Walking on Broken Glass.’ Coldplay remain, like Snow Patrol, not as risible as Razorlight but still not worth actually listening to.

What did seem interesting – yep, Coldplay gig notwithstanding – was a little set-piece they did. Encouraging singing, Chris Martin said ‘let’s win the X-Factor’ and the crowd sang along, only to be greeted by the visage of Simon Cowell on the big screen, lambasting them in parodic style. This was then repeated, only this time he was full of praise for the second attempt. This pre-recorded segment went down a treat with the audience. Later on there was ticker tape and flashing canons. All the fun of the fair, it seems.

It’s about striking the balance. Coldplay were charging £60 a pop to watch, essentially, four fairly dull blokes batter out some tunes in a stadium. There was little chance of achieving the intensity a new band can generate in a packed, sweaty hall. So they decided to make it a bit more interesting. Who can argue with that?

But yet….it IS a music show. Is there a line where the visuals surpass the sound? It was a huge source of contention between Jagger and Richards as the Stones got bigger, with Jagger up for ever more pageantry and Richards being all about the music, maaaaan.

U2’s live shows are now gargantuan wanks, resembling more and more music theatre and less rock concert. Springsteen’s remain stripped down, all about the songs and how they are delivered. Frankly, many people would have been at both gigs and many would have enjoyed both gigs. You can’t blame a band for trying to at least justify the exorbitant ticket price by making it an experience. But who to say who is right?

Well, you are….let us know…..

http://extremelisteningmode.com/2009/09/17/the-live-experience-%E2%80%93-the-music-vs-the-show/

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...