🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The Official Tennis Thread

rudy_o

^:nod: Yeah, that was quite an epic battle!! I was especially really impressed by Del Potro, although eventually he didn't manage to keep up and Djokovic won 6-3 on the 5th set.

I also totally underestimated Marion Bartoli :lol: I'm really glad that she's in finale and omg what if she wins omg that'd be awesome :awesome:

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy now droning on about how delighted he is, he just forgot to let his face and tone of voice know.

Great performance again though, completely deserved and I like Novak but I'm just about siding with Andy, I'd like to see him win it and also, I still don't think he's seen in quite the same light as Novak, Rafa and Roger (Mainly because he's only won 1 Grand Slam) but now he's regularly making GS finals, and deserves another one.

Andy should be fine, Novak however, he may be the most impressive athlete in tennis (Or any sport) but a match of that tempo which lasted nearly 5 hours will take it out of anyone. Who knows, he's a machine, he might be fine after just 1 days rest.

I didn't notice Curly calling him English, it's very possible that within Murray's career he will be representing Scotland and not the UK, and it will be very interesting to see how much media interest and centre court fanbase he will get if that happens.

Wow, Murray's won Wimbledon. I didn't think it would actually happen, but Novak didn't play great. Well you couldn't say he played badly (As in, he was hitting shots fine), he just made all the wrong decisions, he kept rushing to the net, and he hit 1 or 2 successful lob shots but several of them Andy just gobbled up, he wanted those all day long (Plus they do look like quite heroic winners even if they're just standard for someone of Andy's athleticism). That last set when Novak decided to play more percentage tennis, breaking Andy down with rallies and looking for an edge to get winners, he looked better than Andy (Because he is, slightly) but then hit that blip of more bad decisions when Andy broke back in. I know it doesn't really matter but the commentators right now are kind of over-blowing how tough the match was (Not that it was simple) because he had a very tough last game to win it, so what if he lost that game, it'd be 5-5 and 2 sets up. It wasn't exactly like he pulled through under exceptional circumstances, and Novak played nearly 5 hours only 2 days ago. THAT was tough.

But Andy was brilliant, not to forget that at all, to beat Djokovic in straight sets in a final is unbelievable. He couldn't have played much better and with such consistency, he wasn't giving much away, and he completely deserved it.

Guest howyousawtheworld

So so proud for Andy Murray. He's really put a smile on the faces of everyone. To just be in that elite group in what is arguably tennis's greatest era is one hell of an achievement. To be the first Briton to win Wimbledon in 77 years makes it even better. Couldn't have beat a better man in Djokovic though. What a tennis player he beat today and for much of the last two weeks a tennis player I thought was going to be unbeatable.

^Yep. That being said (And I forgot to mention this in my last post) had Novak been on top of his form, been full of energy, it would've been a close match that could still have very much gone Andy's way (Because he was near his best).

But I have to say if Novak was tired he definitely wasn't showing it, even in that incredible heat there was barely a drop of sweat and as always he rarely looks out of breath. After some long rallies Andy looked like he wanted to keel over (Understandably) and then it would show Novak who wasn't even opening his mouth to breathe, it's crazy. Possibly he was mentally exhausted more than anything, which lead to the cloudy judgments and decisions.