✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

3-Jul-2009: Rock Werchter Festival, Belgium - Tickets, Meetups, Reviews/Previews

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonny looked so cute :blush:

He smiled a lot :wacky:

Ohhh, how amazing can one feel after a concert, you know?

I really should go now, but I don't care, I prefer to stay here and talk about the gig :D

:lol:

Well, I'm already late anyway, and I don't really care. I'm way too happy after the show :dance:

So, a little more about the gig...

They came on with the sparklers, opened with LiT. Setlist is on here I believe. I think it was the same as Arras.

What I really liked was the amazing crowd, and how Chris seemed to enjoy that. My last gig was in a quiet crowd, but I prefer to sing along and squeeee, of course. Chris was so funny, said things like: let me hear a Belgian squeee, and: I've heard people in Belgium can make some fucking loud noise :D

And his references to The Killers were awesome too. There were a lot of Victims in the crowd, and they liked it of course.

I had a really good spot, almost at front, and I guess that made it even better for me.

Awwwww *happy sigh*

If possible, I love the guys even more now. Such an amazing gig, I still can't get over it. I slept like 3 hours last night, but I'm still full of energy. They are so great. Awww, that special feeling after going to a gig :wacky:

I have to wait till September now :\

Oh, and amazing too: after the festival the crowd of 80.000 went home all chanting Viva's Who-o-o-o on the way, amazing!

And the press is so nice, they all call Coldplay the best of the best and write so nice words about the boys... I feel so proud to be a fan :wacky: :D

I asked myself that question too... But it was really obvious how Chris likes The Killers.

I was hoping for a suprise duet with Brandon and Chris... To bad that didn't happen.

Yeah, you should have been there. One day, I really want to go to a gig with real Coldplayers. My friends like Coldplay, but aren't real fans. They didn't even want to go to the front :dozey: So I ditched them (is that the correct word? :lol:) and made my way allll close to the boys :wacky:

Must be awesome to be in the company of CPers, I really wish I could go to Wembley!

Awesome review ! Seems like you had a wonderful time !

I wish I could feel like you now, I'm more depressed than happy to have seen them... :\

Did you take good pics ?

Why are you depressed? Didn't you get a good spot?

I'm bouncing all over the place, so excited!

I did ! I was front row !

My reaction is so weird, I started to cry at the end of LiT ii because I knew that it was over :\ Now each time that I listen to them I cry, it's terrible !

I guess that I just love them too much ;)

My reaction is so weird, I started to cry at the end of LiT ii because I knew that it was over :\ Now each time that I listen to them I cry, it's terrible !

Oohh too bad we didn't meet!!

I know what you feel, you don't want it to end, especially when they are in such good shape. I almost cried a few times too, Fix you, The Scientist, LiTII...

But I feel happy because the gig was so great and I was so close. And it helps that I'll see them again in September. Are you going to Nijmegen? I had the same feeling as you have after Antwerp in October, I didn't know when my next show would be, felt really sad then. So, the best thing to get you over this, is just buy tickets for Nijmegem :D

Hope you feel better soon, remember how nice the evening was and how close you were to the boys, and I'm sure you'll see them again soon :hug:

Ooh no I was in Arras only ! :nice:

But maybe did you meet Carla and Chavi there ?

I should feel happy too ! I was so close and the gig was awesome, but I guess that the first time seeing them is special :\

I'll see them in September too in Paris, you're right it cheers up a bit to know that you're gonna see them again :)

Thank so much for giving me a little part of your positive thoughts :hug:

Are you gonna write a review and post pics ?

Oh, and amazing too: after the festival the crowd of 80.000 went home all chanting Viva's Who-o-o-o on the way, amazing!

Oh yes, that was great. The people checking the bags/tickets at the entrance were singing along too.

This is my first post here.

I was in Werchter last night, it was my first Coldplay gig and they most definitely lived up to my high expectations!

We were really in for a treat yesterday. Elbow earlier was fantastic, I didn't really know them before yesterday but will definitely give them another listen. Bloc Party started a great party. Then on came The Killers, who really started and ended their show with a bang! Chris Martin would later remark that they're not used to closing for The Killers and hoped they'd be worthy.

Anyway, the wait before Coldplay came on was charged. We'd been highly entertained by the previous groups and couldn't wait to see what Coldplay had in store for us. The announcer had said right after The Killers concert that he'd just seen two cute little kids, a boy and a girl, and finished off by saying, "yes, they're really here!". A JayZ song (I presume) was the first sign that Coldplay would be on soon. This was followed by The Blue Danube by Strauss (I don't know if they do this at all gigs or not). It served really well to build up the anticipation. And then on they came, waving fire sticks. You already know the set-list so I won't go into that.

I had the perfect view of the show. I'd moved into the second compartment early on and never left my spot. For safety reasons, there are these corridors in the crowd that allow security to get close to the people. Quite a few people have had to be taken out as it was quite hot. These corridors break the crowd up into compartments and they can control the number of people that get into the front ones. This basically means that once you're in there, there's no pushing or shoving or people trying to get to the front from the back. If it's full, it's full and they don't allow anyone else in there. I opted not to go for the first one, out of fear of too much pushing, ended up at the front of the second one, right in the middle, with an uninterrupted view of the stage. Brilliant! At least you can catch some air there, we could even sit down in between concerts. It's only when Chris Martin decided to run down the corridor right in front of me that everyone behind started pushing to get a clear view of that.

Anyhow, about the show. Other bands (yes, I'm looking at you, Oasis) should really take a look at how Coldplay is performing. I love how Chris Martin is so energetic, running from left to right, jumping, giving his all. Coldplay really makes the crowd feel that this show is special and that the show you're watching is the best ever. Where I was standing, the crowd was really into it all, singing along to nearly every song. At one point, I believe at the end of In My Place, as the last notes were somewhat more silent and Chris could finally hear we'd been singing along, he seemed pleasantly surprised. I suppose they can't really hear the crowd from the stage, unless they take out their earpiece.

The big yellow balloons during Yellow and the paper butterflies work really well in such a large outdoor setting. We had fun with those.

Oh, and as for the Lady Gaga dedication. That was more tongue in cheek than anything else. He was winking when he said he'd dedicate it to the people listening to Lady Gaga on the other stage. It was said in a "those poor sods" kind of way. And so, as he was starting The Hardest Part, he quietly let out 'Poker Face' but quickly reverted back to the Hardest Part, which would then turn into Billy Jean at the end.

Earlier on he'd already tried a mash of i forgot which song and The Killers 'we've got soul but we're not soldiers' line. It was really cute. All through the show, lines would be changed a little to include a reference to 70.000 Belgians, or the previous gigs. Such a refreshing difference from bands who barely know where they're playing, who else is on, etc.

Anyway, it was spectacular end to what was already a brilliant day. Coldplay really are a class act.

Thanks for the review :D Glad you had fun.

I did :wacky:

And I made some nice pictures of C&J love :D Coming soon!

Chris gave Jonny a little kiss on stage... I SQUUUEEEEEEEEd really loud... And all those people around me looked at me like I was crazy :lol: I was like: come one people, do you not see the love??

:lol:

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

:hug:

Rock Werchter Coldplay fans tracked by Bluetooth scanners

rockwerchter2009.jpg

Coldplay fans who went to the Rock Werchter festival in Belgium this weekend had to run the gauntlet of an experimental Bluetooth tracking system that kept an eye on their every move, it has been revealed by online tech sites.

Visitors to the Rock Werchter event North East of Brussels, which ends on Sunday, will be monitored through the Bluetooth signals from their mobile phones in an effort to analyse crowd behaviour. Researchers from the University of Ghent have installed 36 scanners across the festival site with the goal of developing new sat-nav and security applications by better understanding human movement over time.

One of the team explained a retail scenario: "Tracking movements via Bluetooth could become very interesting. It could help retailers keep track of the number of customers at different times."

However it's nothing personal - the 80,000 festival goers need not be worried about their privacy, as the scanners track only phones' network addresses and not their numbers or other identifying details. "Werchter is a very interesting case," the university's Nico Van de Weghe told Reuters, adding that this is the first time his team, working on a wider research project using new technology to track moving objects, will collect full data on a live situation.

The team is carrying out research on geographical information systems, such as satellite navigation systems, and is hoping to be able to track moving objects in real time. "Tracking movements via Bluetooth could become very interesting. It could help retailers keep track of the number of customers numbers at different times, " Van de Weghe said.

The technique could also be used by security services to track suspicious movements, or monitor evacuations at mass events. Some 80,000 people from across Europe attended a sweltering first day of the festival in the small town of Werchter, 40 km (25 miles) northeast of Brussels, on Thursday, with thousands more expected on Friday and over the weekend.

http://www.coldplaying.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6383

http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/2590/Festivals/article/detail/916567/2009/07/04/Coldplay-op-Rock-Werchter-offday-met-uitschieters-.dhtml are suggesting this was the exact setlist, can anyone confirm?

DE SET

1. Life In Technicolor

2. Violet Hill

3. Clocks

4. In My Place

5. Yellow/All These Things That I've Done

6. Cemeteries Of London

7. 42

8. Fix You

9. Strawberrry Swing

10. God Put a Smile Upon Your Face

11. Talk

12. The Hardest Part

13. Billie Jean

14. Viva La Vida

15. Lost

16. Green Eyes

17. Werchter Song

18. Death Will Never Conquer

19. Viva La Vida (remix, op tape)

20. Politik

21. Lovers In Japan

22. Death And All His Friends

-

23. The Scientist

24. Life In Technicolor II

25. The Escapist (op tape)

http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/2590/Festivals/article/detail/916567/2009/07/04/Coldplay-op-Rock-Werchter-offday-met-uitschieters-.dhtml are suggesting this was the exact setlist, can anyone confirm?

DE SET

1. Life In Technicolor

2. Violet Hill

3. Clocks

4. In My Place

5. Yellow/All These Things That I've Done

6. Cemeteries Of London

7. 42

8. Fix You

9. Strawberrry Swing

10. God Put a Smile Upon Your Face

11. Talk

12. The Hardest Part

13. Billie Jean

14. Viva La Vida

15. Lost

16. Green Eyes

17. Werchter Song

18. Death Will Never Conquer

19. Viva La Vida (remix, op tape)

20. Politik

21. Lovers In Japan

22. Death And All His Friends

-

23. The Scientist

24. Life In Technicolor II

25. The Escapist (op tape)

That's the correct setlist.

The werchter song is just a lyrical improvisation as they do at all the concerts lately, nothing special :P

It was not the best coldplay show I've been to but it was still freaking awesome :D

It's the correct setlist:nice:

I didnt make it in the frontrow, unluckily :(

I was somewhere behind the bars(is that the correct word?), but I had a good view anyways:D We sat all day on the grass and during Bloc Party we were trying to get frontrow, but that didnt really work. Although we were pretty close ^_^

Too bad I didnt get to meet C&C or anyone else.

It was such an awesome show and I really really can't wait till september!:D

Maybe I'll meet some Coldplayers then.

I dont know if this was posted but at the end of this video of Fix You, Chris runs into the audience but then the video cuts off,He looks so cute... oh its not my video

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xAvSt2lhEc&feature=channel

Hi!!

It's my vid lol. I noticed you had linked it here so I just thought I would register and share the others with you in case you hadn't seen them yet ;)

I had to cut the recording after he jumped, the crowd was pushing too hard, it was insane. It was an incredible gig, really. Loved it.

Billie Jean & Viva la Vida

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Violet Hill

[ame=

]
[/ame]

And here is the vlog with different bits of songs I hadn’t fully filmed:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Enjoy!

Hi!!

It's my vid lol. I noticed you had linked it here so I just thought I would register and share the others with you in case you hadn't seen them yet ;)

Enjoy!

thanks for the great vids.I enjoyed them

Hi!!

Enjoy!

Hi Niki!

Welcome to coldplaying!!! :kiss:

Ludivine sent me your vids via twitter earlier - I had goosebumps watching your "Best moments" video...

Thanks so much!