✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

3-Jul-2009: Rock Werchter Festival, Belgium - Tickets, Meetups, Reviews/Previews

Guest LiquidSky
Back home. It was a special concert. As I believe in the equal distribution of money, I decided not to pay for this gig but listen to it in the middle of nature, close to the river Dyle, 300 metres from the stage. I've paid for more than one concert, bought cds and tour books, but since I live close to Werchter and since I've already experienced this concert last october (Sportpaleis - Antwerp), I decided to get this one for free. It's quite strange to hear Coldplay amidst nature, the good thing is the sound is so bloody loud on the festival grounds that, being a little farther away, I got fabulous quality sound without damaging my ears. And I could look at the stars during the performance of Yellow, that's a first.

So, details for those that couldn't make it. Setlist, same as Arras, but no I'm a believer. Chris covered Michael Jackson's Billie Jean, I think it followed Green Eyes or The hardest part, which he, by the way, dedicated to Lady Gaga, who was also playing the festival. Billie Jean wasn't the only reference to Michael Jackson though, Martin slightly altered the last words of Violet Hill and dedicated the song to the singer. Postcards from far away, I'm not too sure I heard that either, but there was a nice bit of piano with which Martin tied up Politik with Lovers in Japan. Someone else will know for sure. Viva La Vida was, as always, the highpoint of the set, with the crowds going "oh oh oh" for minutes after they ended the song, even when Lost had finished, they briefly started it again. It's quite impressive, hearing this from a distance. Martin did talk quite a lot during the concert, he even apologised for not speaking any French or Flemish. So he seems to know Belgium is a bilingual country, which not many singers do.

Overall appreciations: nice concert, no vocal or instrumental flaws, nothing outstanding though, no real surprises. Ok, there were the techno versions of Talk and God put a smile, but I heard those already and they're not that inventive to be honest. I didn't like the new speed of Yellow, by the way. Much too fast. Ah well, I suppose it's difficult to alter setlists because such a large production is a well-oiled machine. Anyway, it was a nice evening, a unique way to listen to Coldplay and it didn't cost me anything. Now I'm off to bed.

Thanks for the review. Wonder if anybody got that on video...:inquisitive:

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously, I'm trying to write a review with a little substance here, all you do is go on about gaga and chris's hair... :)

:lol::shame::blush:

Sorry, we get easily distracted around here...and then egg each other on in off topicness.

Ok, I'm off...Friday night w/ no work:dance: It was fun hanging in here desperately waiting for some show updates together, peeps!:nice:

And I think I might add this to my siggy, a proud day:lol:

Hahahahaha, The Cooky 1 - Mr Coldplaying 0 :P

:escaping:

:lol::shame::blush:

Sorry, we get easily distracted around here...and then egg each other on in off topicness.

Ok, I'm off...Friday night w/ no work:dance: It was fun hanging in here desperately waiting for some show updates together, peeps!:nice:

And I think I might add this to my siggy, a proud day:lol:

:lol:

OMG! What?!?!?!:o Lady Gaga shaved Chris's hair on stage and made a wig?!?!?!?! :wacky:

:P

OMG! What?!?!?!:o Lady Gaga shaved Chris's hair on stage and made a wig?!?!?!?! :wacky:

:P

*explodes at the thought of this*

:laugh3:

Honestly ... I would love to see that ...

And while she's doing it, he sings:

'For you, I shave my head bald ... '

:laugh3:

Sorry ... even more O/T :embarassed: :laugh3:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXWmZat_bec]YouTube - Coldplay - Werchter Festival - 2009-07-03 - Viva La Vida ( Blokvids )[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUZMriBf9aI]YouTube - Rock Werchter 2009 - Coldplay - Billie Jean[/ame]

I can't wait to hear more about this :bomb:

Chavi said CP made them cry and there's a few people on Twitter saying the same and how amazing they were :dance:

ChavisToaster One of the best shows i went to! tears streamed down our faces..

whisperedsongs Seriously @coldplay was so good I started to cry, you guys are gods, simple as that! Best moment of my life!

PaulineRebry The Killers were glorious, oasis -> :O, Coldplay shockingly great

therunnersays If you ever want to see a group of men who absolutely love their job, go see Coldplay. They blew me away tonight at Rock Werchter.

detheo @coldplay trying to recover from the AMAZING performance you gave last night at the Main Square Festival --cheers for such a beautiful gig

They must have put on a stormer :D

This is my first post here.

I was in Werchter last night, it was my first Coldplay gig and they most definitely lived up to my high expectations!

We were really in for a treat yesterday. Elbow earlier was fantastic, I didn't really know them before yesterday but will definitely give them another listen. Bloc Party started a great party. Then on came The Killers, who really started and ended their show with a bang! Chris Martin would later remark that they're not used to closing for The Killers and hoped they'd be worthy.

Anyway, the wait before Coldplay came on was charged. We'd been highly entertained by the previous groups and couldn't wait to see what Coldplay had in store for us. The announcer had said right after The Killers concert that he'd just seen two cute little kids, a boy and a girl, and finished off by saying, "yes, they're really here!". A JayZ song (I presume) was the first sign that Coldplay would be on soon. This was followed by The Blue Danube by Strauss (I don't know if they do this at all gigs or not). It served really well to build up the anticipation. And then on they came, waving fire sticks. You already know the set-list so I won't go into that.

I had the perfect view of the show. I'd moved into the second compartment early on and never left my spot. For safety reasons, there are these corridors in the crowd that allow security to get close to the people. Quite a few people have had to be taken out as it was quite hot. These corridors break the crowd up into compartments and they can control the number of people that get into the front ones. This basically means that once you're in there, there's no pushing or shoving or people trying to get to the front from the back. If it's full, it's full and they don't allow anyone else in there. I opted not to go for the first one, out of fear of too much pushing, ended up at the front of the second one, right in the middle, with an uninterrupted view of the stage. Brilliant! At least you can catch some air there, we could even sit down in between concerts. It's only when Chris Martin decided to run down the corridor right in front of me that everyone behind started pushing to get a clear view of that.

Anyhow, about the show. Other bands (yes, I'm looking at you, Oasis) should really take a look at how Coldplay is performing. I love how Chris Martin is so energetic, running from left to right, jumping, giving his all. Coldplay really makes the crowd feel that this show is special and that the show you're watching is the best ever. Where I was standing, the crowd was really into it all, singing along to nearly every song. At one point, I believe at the end of In My Place, as the last notes were somewhat more silent and Chris could finally hear we'd been singing along, he seemed pleasantly surprised. I suppose they can't really hear the crowd from the stage, unless they take out their earpiece.

The big yellow balloons during Yellow and the paper butterflies work really well in such a large outdoor setting. We had fun with those.

Oh, and as for the Lady Gaga dedication. That was more tongue in cheek than anything else. He was winking when he said he'd dedicate it to the people listening to Lady Gaga on the other stage. It was said in a "those poor sods" kind of way. And so, as he was starting The Hardest Part, he quietly let out 'Poker Face' but quickly reverted back to the Hardest Part, which would then turn into Billy Jean at the end.

Earlier on he'd already tried a mash of i forgot which song and The Killers 'we've got soul but we're not soldiers' line. It was really cute. All through the show, lines would be changed a little to include a reference to 70.000 Belgians, or the previous gigs. Such a refreshing difference from bands who barely know where they're playing, who else is on, etc.

Anyway, it was spectacular end to what was already a brilliant day. Coldplay really are a class act.

Here's a little clip I uploaded of the moment they came on.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoVTfmuGD58]YouTube - Grand entrance of Coldplay at Werchter[/ame]

OHHHHHH :wacky:

I was there last night, and the performance of Coldplay was the best ever!

Such energy, they played about two hours, Chris smiling and joking all the time, some sweet moments with Jonny, references to all the other bands who played, Chris making the crowd sing 'I've got soul but I'm not a soldier' from The Killers, some nice words for Michael Jackson, butterflies, balloons, B and C stage... I can go on and on about it.

Too bad they didn't play PFFA or I'm a believer, but they did a really funny song instead with lyrics about Belgium. The crowd was amazing, and Chris really enjoyed that.

And if I heard well, Apple and Moses were there as well. I know last time they played Werchter Gwyneth came with him, so perhaps she was there too, I don't know.

I don't have time now for a long review, but for me this was the best Coldplay gig ever. And the Belgian press agrees: even if there are two more days of Werchter with bands like Kings of Leon, Metallica etc, Coldplay are already called the top of Werchter 2009.

Ohh and don't forget: The Killers were awesome too, and Brandon looked cute as always :nice:

I did :wacky:

And I made some nice pictures of C&J love :D Coming soon!

Chris gave Jonny a little kiss on stage... I SQUUUEEEEEEEEd really loud... And all those people around me looked at me like I was crazy :lol: I was like: come one people, do you not see the love??