✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

18-Jul-09: Home Depot Centre, Carson, CA - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists, Photos/Vid

Mostang's review

My wife, stepdaughter and I began our evening eating at Fatburger in Carson off of Avalon around 4:30 or so. We finished up and headed over to the Home Depot Center around 5:30. I parked close to an exit thinking it would help on the way out (no, it didn't) and we hit the Merchandise stand outside of the Northeast gate. I got the "glow in the dark" poster with the date and location of our show, my wife got some bracelets to support child day care efforts in Senegal and our daughter got the bracelets and a blouse.

We went back to the car so our daughter could change her blouse and I put my poster safely back in the car.

We next stood in line for about 40 minutes as the gates didn't open until 6:30ish. We sat on the grass berm area and let our daughter pick out our spot. She chose a good one. A little left of the stage and a little into the grass berms incline. We laid out our blankets and got ready to enjoy the opening acts.

I actually enjoyed the music from KD&L. Their sound was lively, varied and fun. I appreciated the energy of Amadou & Mariam.

Then, U2's "Magnificent" was played and my (as well as the crowd's) anticipation level grew. There was another "hip-hop" tune before "The Blue Danube" was played. That was fun as we waved our arms and clapped along with the tune. At the end of the "Danube" the lights went dark and I nearly lost it!

Let me preface the rest of my review by stating that Viva la Vida is not my favorite Coldplay album. This was my third Coldplay concert and the setlist was understandably Viva heavy.

As usual the boys didn't disapoint. They sounded great, Chris' voice was angelic and his piano play was mesmerizing, Jonny's guitar play soared and was flawless. Will's energetic drum playing provided the backbone of the band's performance and then Guy's cool, calm and collected performance provided just the right amount of serenity to balance everything out.

My favorite performances of the evening were Light in Technicolor II, Strawberry Swing and In My Place, but the real highlight for me was watching my 13 year old stepdaughter rock her little heart out. This was just the 2nd concert I've been to with her. She was just six when I took her to see No Doubt with Garbage back in 2002. I've raised her well and just had so much fun watching her and her mom rock out. That really made the night unforgettable for me. We sang together, we danced together, we laughed together and cheered together. She thanked me multiple times after the show was over.

On the way out my wife treated herself to a shirt and got our daughter a Viva la Vida cap.

Special thanks to Coldplay for another great performance and for their generous gift of a free CD! Until the next time, folks, it's been fun and I look forward to their next album and tour. Take care everyone.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my God I had general admission tickets so I waited all day outside this place and ran down to the floor as fast as I could and ended up front row center- right up against the barricade with no one inbetween me and Chris, Jonny, Will and Guy!!!!! I was freaking out the entire time. I almost couldn't breathe. Chris kept leaning out to the audience right over me, especially during In My Place and Yellow, and I was like 3 feet away from him! I can't imagine a more magical or amazing concert experience... and at the end, before the encore, when they all joined together and bowed right in front of me it was so cute! Aaahh I just love them so much!! I took the best concert videos ever and I need to put them on youtube still...

and I won tickets for their show tonight in Irvine from KROQ, so I'm sure they'll be much better seats than the horrid ones I bought in February!

Oh, one funny thing last night. We got there really early, so I had time to just walk around. I easily found C stage, and there was some security surrounding it. I asked some people who were sitting right next to the stage if they knew what that platform was for. They thought it was handicapped seating, and I told them that the band would come sing a few songs there. They looked at me as if was from another planet. I just said to them, "You'll see." I would have loved to have seen their faces, lol.

I think my very favorite part was watching Will play LIT2. You all in the pit were so lucky to see the interactions between the band, it was hard to see a lot of detail from where we were, standing the whole time, watching in between people's heads, and I'm tall! I'm still hoarse, but I'm getting ready to leave at 5 for tonight's show.

I'm going to bring my dslr camera, it's a fairly small one, but I reallly really want to have my good camera for the meet and greet with the band.

I had GA pit, got there at 3 and still made it to the 2nd row, right by the ramp. It was an AMAZING show! I think, so far, the best Coldplay show I have been too. We were right by the blowers for the butterflies, omg got covered in them!

One of the best parts was being able to see the side of the stage, and seeing Guy and Will watching one of the opening acts. Will was rockin out to them, it was great.

I was also lucky enough to get a set list. -dies- All I did was ask a roadie if it was possible to get a set list, so he pulled the one he had in his pocket and handed it to me. WOW. Now, if I could ever meet them, I will die happy. :)

I think my very favorite part was watching Will play LIT2. You all in the pit were so lucky to see the interactions between the band, it was hard to see a lot of detail from where we were, standing the whole time, watching in between people's heads, and I'm tall! I'm still hoarse, but I'm getting ready to leave at 5 for tonight's show. .

Yeah, I was 2nd row in the pit, I could see alot of Johnny's reactions to the crowd and such. At Chula Vista, I even saw him roll his eyes when one of the yellow balloons came on to the stage and he kicked it back into the crowd.

Awww you are so lucky! I got there at 6am and waited over 14 hrs and ended up like 3rd row cos the ticket lady messed up with her scanner plus the guys on the floor were stupid and said we had to enter from the other side regardless...we were like this is dumb it's GA so we should all go in at the same time. Whatever...I still had fun just wish I could have been on the barricade too :(

I had GA pit, got there at 3 and still made it to the 2nd row, right by the ramp. It was an AMAZING show! I think, so far, the best Coldplay show I have been too. We were right by the blowers for the butterflies, omg got covered in them!

One of the best parts was being able to see the side of the stage, and seeing Guy and Will watching one of the opening acts. Will was rockin out to them, it was great.

I was also lucky enough to get a set list. -dies- All I did was ask a roadie if it was possible to get a set list, so he pulled the one he had in his pocket and handed it to me. WOW. Now, if I could ever meet them, I will die happy. :)

This concert was a dream come true for me. Ever since I saw Coldplay for the first time at the forum in the nosebleed seats when I was 19, I knew I had to find a way to get to the front. I never would have guessed I would do it in a year. I had GA tickets so I got to the venue at 7:30 a.m. There was only one other group that got there at roughly the same time. Maybe an hour later, a guy called Noel began waiting in line with my friend Nader and I. He was from Mexico City, and he is a Coldplayer: Ginga Joy. It was good meeting you man. Then shortly after, two young girls began waiting in line with us as well. Jessica and Stephanie. They were very excited as well. The wait was long, and many were trying to just get glimpes of the stage through the gates, just to see what was going on. One particular individual was extremely excited when the Viva banner came down. Haha. To pass the time we also started playing a game where you give someone a question, and the answer is a Coldplay song. Example: Where do you keep your things? Ans. In My Place. Corny, but fun when the sun is baking on you and you have nothing to do. They told us the gates would open at 6, so when we were all ready to go in... they changed it to 6:30. My friend and I wanted to make it down there as quick as possible. We went to the stairs and the security gaurd stared at our tickets for about 20 seconds.... not knowing what to do. SO we went to another set of stairs and we thought we were done for! We hustled around some people, mde it down, and when I made it into the pit, there were only a few people in there, and FRONT AND CENTER was open. I know a lot of people say that, but this was legitimately right in front of Chris's microphone. Also, the first ten people in my line also made it to the front. I was happy about that. They were all cool people.

I thought the openers were great. Kitty, Daisy, and Lewis got me snapping my fingers. I liked their style, and it s very hard to describe. They were almost like a British retro, folk band. They were extremely talented. We asked them if they were all a family, and they were. It looked like Mom and Dad and the kids. Amadou and Mariam were also good. However, I wanted them to end as soon as possible so I could see Coldplay. I loved the bass player. He had so much energy.

Coldplay was due to come on, but this lady directly behind me was giving everybody around her a hard time. SHe seemed to think that she had the right to be in any spot she wanted, so when she tried to get closer to her daughter(who made no attempt to get to her), she pushed people and started going off on everyone around her. She tried to get security to help her out, saying she knew a guy "Raul" who could come down and sort it out for her... Eventually, everyone in the front started pointing at her chanting for security to take her out. It was hilarious. Thankfully, when the show started she faded out of sight. When the Blue Danube came on, the roadie stood up right in front of me and started leading the clap. The spotlight was right on us.

The show was so amazing. Life in Technicolor is such a great intro. Once Violet Hill came on, I could not even believe how close I was. It wasn't until In My Place that Chris was allowed to roam free. He came right up to the edge of the stage. I could almost smell him. Yellow was AWESOME. A ball came to me and I instinctively hit it forward towards the stage, and I PEGGED Chris with it who was singing into his microphone. SORRY buddy. haha. Did anyone see that? It's great being up so close to the stage. When you are in the back, you can't see the interactions between the band members. At previous concerts, i have always thought that Chris was the only one that rocks out, but now since I've been up front, I can say that they ALL do. Will goes crazy on the drums and really gets into it. Jonny may not move around too much, but when he gets a solo, or exposed bit, he really digs into it, and I could see the energy coming off of him. Guy does looked relaxed, but you can tell he is groovin' and loving it in his head. Viva La Vida was amazing. I was right in front of Will on the drums. The Viva chant was magical. I stopped singing it for a bit just to listen, and it was SOOO loud. It was amazing. During Strawberry Swing, Noel got a drum mallet that Chris bounced off the drum into the audience. Good job man! Also this was the first time butterflies rained down on me in Lovers In Japan. It was a great experience. Everyone was so happy about it, it was like magic. The concert really flew by, and before I knew it, it was over. When the boys were doing thier bows, Jonny walked by me, and I screamed his name. He looked down right at me, smiling, and began applauding my section of the audience. It was awesome! The Encore was brilliant as always. The Scientist is a great singalong, and Life in Technicolor 2 really gets you up and going. I was also lucky enough to get a set list from a Roadie after the show.

This was really the best Coldplay experience of my life, and it ranks in the best nights of my life as well. It could not have gone any better. Nader and I had a blast, and I'll get some videos up here soon, as well as some pictures.

Coldplay

July 18, 2009

The Home Depot Center

Carson, CA

Source: Sound Professional AT933 Hyper Cardioids >

Sound Pro Battery Box (Roll off @ 107Hz) >

iRiver IHP-140 (WAV @ 44.1khz)

Transfer: iRiver IHP-140 >

Audition (Normalized & fade in/out) >

CDWav (for track splitting) >

mkw MP3 @ 160 (MP3)

Taper: [email protected]

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DO WITH THIS RECORDING.

I RELEASED IT IN AUDIO CD and FLAC, YOU CAN SCREW IT UP HOWEVER YOU LIKE.

MP3, FTP SERVER, DC, WEB, REMASTER, WHATEVER,

I CAN'T STOP YOU ANYWAYS!

DON'T SELL IT AND don't be a leech.

01. Intro - 'The Blue Danube'

02. Life In Technicolor

03. Violet Hill

04. Clocks

05. In My Place

06. Yellow

07. Glass Of Water

08. Cemeteries Of London

09. 42

10. Fix You

11. Strawberry Swing

12. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (Techno Version)

13. Talk (Techno Version)

14. The Hardest Part (Chris Solo) / Postcards From Far Away (Chris Instrumental)

15. Viva La Vida

16. Lost!

(Acoustic Set at rear of stadium)

17. Green Eyes

18. Sitting on the Dock of the Bay / Death Will Never Conquer

19. Billie Jean

20. Viva La Vida (PA Remix)

21. Politik

22. Lovers In Japan

23. Death And All His Friends

24. The Scientist

25. Life in Technicolor II

26. The Escapist (PA Outro)

Why do people spend hard earned money on tickets, and text through the WHOLE show? Or not even pay attention to the music? While I hate screamers, at least most of them are having fun. My new hate is reserved for those not even there for the music.

MP3 Here

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5ctssy

Lossless Soon

Beginning of Lovers in Japan:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAxLniWjuB4]YouTube - Coldplay- Lovers in Japan (Beginning)[/ame]

Death and All His Friends:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtNaZvjJOok]YouTube - Coldplay- Death and All His Friends[/ame]

wow thanks great quality

Coldplay

July 18, 2009

The Home Depot Center

Carson, CA

Source: Sound Professional AT933 Hyper Cardioids >

Sound Pro Battery Box (Roll off @ 107Hz) >

iRiver IHP-140 (WAV @ 44.1khz)

Transfer: iRiver IHP-140 >

Audition (Normalized & fade in/out) >

CDWav (for track splitting) >

mkw MP3 @ 160 (MP3)

Taper: [email protected]

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DO WITH THIS RECORDING.

I RELEASED IT IN AUDIO CD and FLAC, YOU CAN SCREW IT UP HOWEVER YOU LIKE.

MP3, FTP SERVER, DC, WEB, REMASTER, WHATEVER,

I CAN'T STOP YOU ANYWAYS!

DON'T SELL IT AND don't be a leech.

01. Intro - 'The Blue Danube'

02. Life In Technicolor

03. Violet Hill

04. Clocks

05. In My Place

06. Yellow

07. Glass Of Water

08. Cemeteries Of London

09. 42

10. Fix You

11. Strawberry Swing

12. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (Techno Version)

13. Talk (Techno Version)

14. The Hardest Part (Chris Solo) / Postcards From Far Away (Chris Instrumental)

15. Viva La Vida

16. Lost!

(Acoustic Set at rear of stadium)

17. Green Eyes

18. Sitting on the Dock of the Bay / Death Will Never Conquer

19. Billie Jean

20. Viva La Vida (PA Remix)

21. Politik

22. Lovers In Japan

23. Death And All His Friends

24. The Scientist

25. Life in Technicolor II

26. The Escapist (PA Outro)

Why do people spend hard earned money on tickets, and text through the WHOLE show? Or not even pay attention to the music? While I hate screamers, at least most of them are having fun. My new hate is reserved for those not even there for the music.

MP3 Here

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5ctssy

Lossless Soon

wow thanks great quality

Thanks!

Here is some samples (YouTube for Audio ONLY)

Billy Jean

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4PB5z6G-Cw]YouTube - Coldplay Carson July 18, 2009 Billy Jean AUDIO[/ame]

Viva La Vida

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q02Sh2Ypn78]YouTube - Coldplay Carson July 18, 2009 Viva La Vida AUDIO[/ame]

The Scientist:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67JUtYYsUN4]YouTube - Coldplay- The Scientist[/ame]

Life in Technicolor ii:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxWJwj7z-N0]YouTube - Coldplay- Life in Technicolor ii[/ame]

Whoo! Great pics! :D

Though I can't find any professional reviews yet.

Here was the ditty about LA I was speaking of:

"Audiences are measured in degrees

But the best in the world is Los Angeles

Oh, we love playing for those girls and boys

But man, don't they make a fuck of a lot of noise!"