✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

24-Jul-09: Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Maryland Heights, MO - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I had my LiT shirt on! I hope your throat is better!

I saw shirts all over the hotel too. We even saw some in Sikeston MO when we stopped to eat lunch!

I thought I got a good pic of the roadie doing a handstand, but like the rest of the pics, it was a crap one.:veryangry2:

That's why I didn't bring my camera this time. At the indy show I spent SO much time worrying about getting good photos and I didn't get a single decent shot. So I just let myself enjoy it without worrying about playing photographer. :D

And hey, it was you! Once again I want to assure you I wasn't clearing my throat to hurry you up. It's actually still a bit sore tonight but getting better because I haven't had to talk at all today, except with the cashier at Walmart when I went to buy my Coldplay Rolling Stones tote bag! :D

Glad you made it home okay! Post some of those pictures even if they're fuzzy! ;)

The Review

(No pics/vids)

I got to the venue about an hour before the gates opened, and I was probably the fifteenth person in line. I felt good about my chances of snagging front row in the pit. Then the "Jump the Line" line for Verizon customers grew and grew, and my hopes shrank. Somehow, though, those 200 or so people that got in before me must've all been in the lawn because by the time I finally got in, only about ten people were in line to get wristbands for the pit. I ended up front row, just to the left of center, on the Jonny side of Chris.

The couple of hours before Kitty, Daisy, and Lewis were passed making small talk with people around me regarding Coldplay and the St. Louis Cardinals. (Couldn't really ask for much better conversation than my two favorite things in the world. :P) I sort of felt bad, though, busting everyone's bubble around me by informing them that, no, they wouldn't be hearing Spies or White Shadows or A Warning Sign, etc.

The crowd was surprisingly loud for the openers, which were really quite cool. I highly recommend a KD&L show. Their music is a blast and all three of the siblings are amazingly talented. Amadou et Mariam were pretty damn awesome, too. And even though I got the feeling that I was one of the only fans there that actually listened to the duo's music regularly, everybody around me seemed to enjoy it--especially the ten minute jam that closed the set with a sick drum solo and tribal dancing. Both openers felt more like festival performers than concert appetizers.

The dancing roadie and The Blue Danube followed, of course, and the looks on the security guards' faces as they watched the crowd sway to a classic waltz was fucking hilarious. Somehow I doubt they see many teasers like that.

Chills kicked in as soon as Jon Hopkins's intro to LiT hit, and honestly the next few songs were a blur. The crowd was pleasingly loud, singing along to just about every word until GoW started, which I guess means a lot of people failed to pick up Prospekt's March. Jonny's guitar work on that one was really brilliant, though--it seemed to have a grungier kick to it, at times totally drowning out Chris's chorus. The crowd came back around on 42 and Fix You, though, honestly getting louder than ever on the latter.

During the b-stage set, Phil came right in front of the pit barrier to snap pictures, and I yelled out for him and shook his hand. It looked like several other people in the front row did the same, while the rest of the folks kinda looked at us like, "Who the hell is that?"

The Viva oooh's were spectacular, carrying on without prompting by Chris at several points in the night. And Lost! might've been the performance highlight of the night. All four guys seemed seriously into that one.

By the time the acoustic set started, the pit people were so into the show that everyone around me sang every word to all three songs, even though you practically had to squint to see the band.

Politik/LiJ/DAAHF slayed, of course. And then The Scientist brought several people to tears. Will threw his drumsticks to the kids right next to me, well within reach of my outstretched arms. (Today, I'm feeling a little less happy about letting them have them. :P)

I only heard positive comments after the show, even from a few people who had just sat out in their cars and listened outside! And getting LRLRL was an easy process.

There were some classic Chris moments, of course, like being disturbed during THP by a "muscular 32 year-old man" shouting, "I love you;" going on about mispronouncing St. Louis; screwing up the beginning of DAAHF; having a bizarre cackle just before The Scientist; and giving Phil a smirk and a middle finger as he took his picture... Although, at times it did feel a bit like the band was on auto-pilot--especially after seeing the jamming of the opening acts.

Even so, this was without a doubt my best concert ever (although I will admit that Radiohead's tube-lighting show was a better spectacle), and I'm currently fighting concert withdrawal. It was just such a surreal experience, being literally ten feet away from the band... I'm not even sure I was fully able to appreciate it. Listening to LRLRL today, I wished so badly that I could do it all again.

just thought i would share some of my top moments from friday's show:

1. Meeting Phil Harvey! during the hardest part, my friend nudged me and said, "look behind you." i turned around and there was phil! i gave him a salute and he saluted back. then my friend turned around and shook his hand, and i did the same. he said to us "how do i know you?" and my friend jokingly said "i think we're friends on myspace!" phil got a good laugh out of that one, and then we told him that we didn't "know" him, but were just die hard fans who knew who he was. he was in the front of the pit taking pictures for a good amount of the show.

2. I also loved it during Politik, when Phil was taking pictures of Chris at the piano. Chris saw him, started making faces, and then gave him the finger! hahaha

3. After Coldplay came back on stage for the encore, Chris leaned over the railing and handed a girl what looked like a folded piece of paper. The girl had a sign at the show that said "i'm broke, but i came to see coldplay." so what the folded piece of paper really was was CASH! i don't know the amount, but it was enough to almost bring the girl to tears! just another reason why coldplay is the best band out there, they truly care about their fans.

here's a detailed review i read just now (funniest line: "I've been wrong all these years to say that Coldplay was dad rock. No, Coldplay is cougar-rock. The number of ladies at the show -- of all ages, mind you, but definitely of the mom-age persuasion - swooning for Chris Martin was surprising. It actually makes me wonder if some people despise Coldplay because Martin is such a heartthrob.") The full review is here:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/ato...ater_video.php

Here are some photos i found too, (37 pics)

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/slideshow/view/28077036

IMG_7294-1.jpg

IMG_7313.jpg

How did you get the photos to be this big? I can only see the small ones from the link given...

That's why I didn't bring my camera this time. At the indy show I spent SO much time worrying about getting good photos and I didn't get a single decent shot. So I just let myself enjoy it without worrying about playing photographer. :D

And hey, it was you! Once again I want to assure you I wasn't clearing my throat to hurry you up. It's actually still a bit sore tonight but getting better because I haven't had to talk at all today, except with the cashier at Walmart when I went to buy my Coldplay Rolling Stones tote bag! :D

Glad you made it home okay! Post some of those pictures even if they're fuzzy! ;)

As soon as my daughter uploads the pics, I'll see if any of them are viewable. I highly doubt it, both of my parents were 'picture taking challenged' and I got that gene from both sides apparantly. :rolleyes:

After I left with my coffee, I got this funny feeling that I'd just talked to you! The third concert comment sorta stuck in my head .I wish I'd turned back around. It would have been nice to chat about the concert!

I'm having a MAJOR let-down today. I guess it's the after concert one I hear about. i'd looked forward to it since I found out that they were going to play a place I could easily get to. And now it's over. :cry:

The Review

(No pics/vids)

I got to the venue about an hour before the gates opened, and I was probably the fifteenth person in line. I felt good about my chances of snagging front row in the pit. Then the "Jump the Line" line for Verizon customers grew and grew, and my hopes shrank. Somehow, though, those 200 or so people that got in before me must've all been in the lawn because by the time I finally got in, only about ten people were in line to get wristbands for the pit. I ended up front row, just to the left of center, on the Jonny side of Chris.

The couple of hours before Kitty, Daisy, and Lewis were passed making small talk with people around me regarding Coldplay and the St. Louis Cardinals. (Couldn't really ask for much better conversation than my two favorite things in the world. :P) I sort of felt bad, though, busting everyone's bubble around me by informing them that, no, they wouldn't be hearing Spies or White Shadows or A Warning Sign, etc.

The crowd was surprisingly loud for the openers, which were really quite cool. I highly recommend a KD&L show. Their music is a blast and all three of the siblings are amazingly talented. Amadou et Mariam were pretty damn awesome, too. And even though I got the feeling that I was one of the only fans there that actually listened to the duo's music regularly, everybody around me seemed to enjoy it--especially the ten minute jam that closed the set with a sick drum solo and tribal dancing. Both openers felt more like festival performers than concert appetizers.

The dancing roadie and The Blue Danube followed, of course, and the looks on the security guards' faces as they watched the crowd sway to a classic waltz was fucking hilarious. Somehow I doubt they see many teasers like that.

Chills kicked in as soon as Jon Hopkins's intro to LiT hit, and honestly the next few songs were a blur. The crowd was pleasingly loud, singing along to just about every word until GoW started, which I guess means a lot of people failed to pick up Prospekt's March. Jonny's guitar work on that one was really brilliant, though--it seemed to have a grungier kick to it, at times totally drowning out Chris's chorus. The crowd came back around on 42 and Fix You, though, honestly getting louder than ever on the latter.

During the b-stage set, Phil came right in front of the pit barrier to snap pictures, and I yelled out for him and shook his hand. It looked like several other people in the front row did the same, while the rest of the folks kinda looked at us like, "Who the hell is that?"

The Viva oooh's were spectacular, carrying on without prompting by Chris at several points in the night. And Lost! might've been the performance highlight of the night. All four guys seemed seriously into that one.

By the time the acoustic set started, the pit people were so into the show that everyone around me sang every word to all three songs, even though you practically had to squint to see the band.

Politik/LiJ/DAAHF slayed, of course. And then The Scientist brought several people to tears. Will threw his drumsticks to the kids right next to me, well within reach of my outstretched arms. (Today, I'm feeling a little less happy about letting them have them. :P)

I only heard positive comments after the show, even from a few people who had just sat out in their cars and listened outside! And getting LRLRL was an easy process.

There were some classic Chris moments, of course, like being disturbed during THP by a "muscular 32 year-old man" shouting, "I love you;" going on about mispronouncing St. Louis; screwing up the beginning of DAAHF; having a bizarre cackle just before The Scientist; and giving Phil a smirk and a middle finger as he took his picture... Although, at times it did feel a bit like the band was on auto-pilot--especially after seeing the jamming of the opening acts.

Even so, this was without a doubt my best concert ever (although I will admit that Radiohead's tube-lighting show was a better spectacle), and I'm currently fighting concert withdrawal. It was just such a surreal experience, being literally ten feet away from the band... I'm not even sure I was fully able to appreciate it. Listening to LRLRL today, I wished so badly that I could do it all again.

Great review!!

Some of the people around me didn't know what was going on when they headed to the B-stage! I think they thought it was over! They were all very impressed that the boys would go our into the audience like that, and even more impressed when they went back to the lawn for the C-stage.

I agree the opening acts were both awesome! My daughter wants to find a CD of Amadou & Miriam. She thinks her roomies this fall will like them too. I liked how Amadou kept saying "thank you Coldplay!"

"So come over, just be patient and don't worry."

HAHAHAHAHA

Jonny, Jonny, Jonny, I fucked that up, can we try that again.

And who could forget.

I just got put off...by a very muscular 32-year old man who just told me he loved me.

^^^ What did he goof up? I never noticed a mistake! But yeah those were a couple of very memorable moments. :D

As soon as my daughter uploads the pics, I'll see if any of them are viewable. I highly doubt it, both of my parents were 'picture taking challenged' and I got that gene from both sides apparantly. :rolleyes:

After I left with my coffee, I got this funny feeling that I'd just talked to you! The third concert comment sorta stuck in my head .I wish I'd turned back around. It would have been nice to chat about the concert!

OMG, I had the same "I wonder if that was a Coldplayer?" feeling! I looked for you after I'd found my breakfast pastry, but I was in kind of a hurry to hit the road. :\ I was also extremely out of it. :D

I'm having a MAJOR let-down today. I guess it's the after concert one I hear about. i'd looked forward to it since I found out that they were going to play a place I could easily get to. And now it's over. :cry:

:hug:

just thought i would share some of my top moments from friday's show:

3. After Coldplay came back on stage for the encore, Chris leaned over the railing and handed a girl what looked like a folded piece of paper. The girl had a sign at the show that said "i'm broke, but i came to see coldplay." so what the folded piece of paper really was was CASH! i don't know the amount, but it was enough to almost bring the girl to tears! just another reason why coldplay is the best band out there, they truly care about their fans.

Awwwh, Chris. There he goes again- so nice. :) :) :)

I would like to know her view- I hope someone can find something else about this.

That's incredible!

Great reviews, everyone.

And an awwwwwwww for Chris :nice:

Oh! I forgot to ask.

Did anyone else see the roadie on stage dancing to the Jay-Z song? :o He was really good! Does he do that at every show?

That will be Wayne, the dancing roadie :D He dances @ most shows.

"So come over, just be patient and don't worry."

HAHAHAHAHA

Jonny, Jonny, Jonny, I fucked that up, can we try that again.

And who could forget.

I just got put off...by a very muscular 32-year old man who just told me he loved me.

oh i loved that. cracked me up.

it was my first coldplay concert, but won't be my last :D srsly, would love to go to their next venue if I had the money/time....

thanks for the reviews so far!:)

a vid already! :dance:

The Scientist

EDIT: hi dianne, thanks for the hi res jonny:D

Anyone know who took this?

I'm wondering what camera they used.

Quality is fantastic.

Oh, that show was amazing! My husband and I were on row N....right between the main stage and the B stage. The seats were WAY closer than we thought! My husband, who is 6'4, managed to get some awesome pictures of Chris as he came out onto the wing and I'll post them later. We just got home from vacation (the Coldplay show was part of it). I even snapped a picture of Phil while the roadies were setting up after M&A.

I sang to every song and danced like a madwoman! The left kinda got "left" out on the balloon action, but Chris came over and threw glowsticks at us and we manged to snag some. We also got showered with butterflies and managed to catch quite a few! I was still a little disappointed with the people around me. They just stood there bobbing their heads and not singing. There was a dude 2 rows in front of me who jumped, sang, and generally spazzed out and I wished I were standing next to him so I didn't look so out of place....cause I was doing the same.

It took us 1 HOUR to get out of the parking lot, though! The fact that two roads running beside the venue are 1 way only is epic FAIL. We were parked back in G3 and witnessed a wreck and then saw a girl jump out and start cussing out the drivers and passengers....fun stuff. So, not only did we get to see Coldplay, we saw a nice parking lot show!

I'll be sure to post pics later when I get the rest of my stuff sorted out from vacay!

Did anyone take some pictures/videos of Chris doing these crazy things, like laughing about the guy who told him "I love you" and giving cash to the girl?

I'd really like to see them!!

I didn't find anything posted here in this thread. Neither in youtube.

Thanks!

And thanks for all the great reviews! :)

Did anyone take some pictures/videos of Chris doing these crazy things, like laughing about the guy who told him "I love you" and giving cash to the girl?

I'd really like to see them!!

I didn't find anything posted here in this thread. Neither in youtube.

Thanks!

And thanks for all the great reviews! :)

At the 5:30 mark:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVJK7FCMCVc]YouTube - Coldplay: "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face" and "The Hardest Part"[/ame]