✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

20-May-2009: Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sorry, even if those songs are short, it's still a longer set compared to other bands.

GreenDay does around 20/21

U2 vertigo tour they played 21/22 Stadium tour tho.

I have seen many more, just pointing out the above as an example of 2 bands that are close to long sets, Stadium concerts should be longer cause I don't think they have the time restrictions as arenas do

I correct you about the many concerts I have been to, cause I have been going since the 70's, I am much older than most here. And I didn't mean to sound like a know it all, cause I don't:)

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey im just curious......How many people were in the Pit for this show?

For the Pittsburgh show, Livenation looked to have 500 tickets up for sale for the PIT, I was thinking and that just seems like ALOT of people to be in one spot....(you could tell through the click N' Pick section on the livenation website, just copunt the # of tickets available/unavailable).

I know venues are going to be a little different so its hard to same if the VA's shows are going to have the same amount of people in the PIT but im hoping there wont be too - too many people i have to look over(im kind of short) :)

I don't know about a number, but it wasn't overly crowded in my opinion.

People were packed in pretty tight near the front center. We stayed just on the outside and right up against the "mini catwalk" on stage right and never felt "squished." People near us even went out for potty breaks or to get drinks and had no problem coming back to their previous spot.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the PIT experience, but it was awesome.

I don't know about a number, but it wasn't overly crowded in my opinion.

People were packed in pretty tight near the front center. We stayed just on the outside and right up against the "mini catwalk" on stage right and never felt "squished." People near us even went out for potty breaks or to get drinks and had no problem coming back to their previous spot.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the PIT experience, but it was awesome.

Yeah, that's how I plan to play it for Dallas. I don't care to be front row center in the PIT, I'd rather be to the side and next to the little mini stages, so hoping that works out for me. Great pics btw. I'm not worried about the setlist either. It's still different to the one I saw last year due to Green Eyes, The Scientist (full), I'm a Believer, Glass of Water and LIT ii being on there, so that's enough change for me :)

hey heyyyy! hope everyone had an awesome time! i know i did. I was RIGHT next to the ramp on the left (the left when your looking at the stage)because i knew chris was going to come on it multiple times---and he did. I could have touched him i was that close. they never cease to amaze me thats for damn sure, and of course i came home with a handful of butterflies! ;)

Nails 77, it sounds like we were right next to each other!! I had on a green sweatshirt, good thing i brought it because it got chillllly!

Lauren - Sounds like we were right there. I was wearing a red pullover and my wife was in a white hooded sweatshirt. We were standing next to a couple and their kid, who was seeing Coldplay for the first time also - it was fun to see how great a time he was having.

Lauren - Sounds like we were right there. I was wearing a red pullover and my wife was in a white hooded sweatshirt. We were standing next to a couple and their kid, who was seeing Coldplay for the first time also - it was fun to see how great a time he was having.

hmm did the kid have on a black hat with white hair? yep i think i saw you! Does your wife have long brown hair? Did you see all the teenagers pushing everyone around near the end of the concert trying to get up to the front? ugh

Sorry, even if those songs are short, it's still a longer set compared to other bands.

GreenDay does around 20/21

Green Day did 21+ songs at both of the club shows I went to this week so both shows were 1.5-2hrs long. Don't know what they are going to do for their arena tour though. I hope Coldplay adds a few more songs to their set list this time around, they usually clock in around 1.5 hrs. They ain't no "The Cure" with the 3 hrs shows, I'm still kicking myself for not going last year.

Coldplay's Beach show schools us on how it's done

School is just about out for the summer, but on Wednesday night, Coldplay gave a lesson at the Verizon Wireless Virginia Beach Amphitheater on how to put on a fantastic show. Pencils sharpened? Fresh sheet of paper? Here we go.

1. Keep your show full of surprises. Secretly set up small stages in the middle of the crowd and even in the lawn seats, so that when the lights go low, you can run to your predetermined little island and sing a few songs. Do some covers too: something hip and fresh by a group like say, Arctic Monkeys, and then later, cover something totally dorky fun like “I’m a Believer,” so everyone can sing along. People love that stuff.

2. Be into it. Be like lead singer Chris Martin: totally present, totally immersed in what you’re doing, and have fun. Run and jump and slide across the stage. People will know you’re having a good time. They’ll think you’re deep too when you sing with your eyes closed.

3. Dazzle their eyes. Unleash giant saffron balloons filled with confetti for your song “Yellow.” (Note: if your song is “Blue” or “Red” adjust balloon color accordingly.) Set up giant spheres on stage, and project images on them. Multi-colored lasers? Now you’re thinking. Use varying film types for the jumbo screens, so they sometimes make you look like you’re on one of those HBO concert specials; or at other times just playing with the settings on your Mac. It’s all good.

4. Sound terrific playing hits both old – “Politik”, “Clocks” – and new, like “Lost” or “When I Ruled The World.” And then, just as people are leaving, and the anxiety about where their cars might be begins to set in, have someone hand them a CD to remember the magical night. Perfect. A+

http://hamptonroads.com

hmm did the kid have on a black hat with white hair? yep i think i saw you! Does your wife have long brown hair? Did you see all the teenagers pushing everyone around near the end of the concert trying to get up to the front? ugh

My wife has short brown hair (the long brown hair belonged to the mother of the kid :) ) But yup, that was us.

I must have missed the pushing towards the end of the show. I never really felt it where I was and couldn't take my eyes off the stage. It's too bad though, I thought the PIT was fairly well behaved throughout most of the show.

First post updated :)

When I clicked on the review link, it took me to reviews of the Birmingham show.

The more I think about the show (and watch a few videos of it), the more I need to see them again. Great, great show. :o

Last night we went to the Coldplay concert at the Verizon Wireless Virginia Beach Amphitheater. The weather was cool, the fans were chill and everyone was ready to hear and sing along to their favorite songs. They played all of their major hits including "Yellow" and "The Scientist", and of course their latest "Viva La Vida". The performers played in different spots in the venue, moving around every few songs so that fans in the front, the back, the sides could all catch a great view of the show. At one point we were in the front row because of it so I got to take some great photos. Incredible.

Even the theme of the whole show about living life was moving and inspiring especially after what 2009 has been for myself and my friends thus far. We've dealt with pain, grief and losses in what seemed like one notice of bad news after another. This job so far has allowed me to travel and do things I would have never done otherwise and I plan on continuing to keep living my life to the fullest until its over.

Catch Coldplay in a town near you. Next month I will be at the No Doubt concert. Paramore is the opening act. I can't wait!

http://turnonshuffle.blogspot.com/2009/05/coldplay-viva-la-vida-tour.html

Last night, I went to see a concert: Coldplay and Pete Yorn. I was almost going to decline as I am not really a fan of either but I decided against it. Who am I to turn down free tickets to anything? I'm glad I went on SO MANY levels!

First, I haven't been to a concert in YEARS. Mostly because Ithaca never really had them. Sure, musical acts came rather frequently but they either were people I seriously did not want to go see or I simply never had the time or the money. The really big shows, like the one I went to, were always held far away so not only did you have to spend money on tix, you spent money getting up there and what not. So yeah, this concert reminded me that live shows, no matter who they are, are always fun to go to. I mean, if a "lite rock" concert can be jammin like this one was, imagine all the others. Going to this concert made me realize that I missed out on so much not making an effort to go to the shows in Ithaca. That brings me to my second point.

This concert made me realize how much of a douche-bag elitist I had become in Ithaca. Like, why the hell would anyone turn down free, FREE concert tickets to a decent band just because they are "too mainstream." Seriously, that was a big factor in my almost refusal to not go. I listen to alternative music, little known artists, and make fun of bands like Coldplay, blah, blah, blah. Who gives a shit about all that!! Really. However, Ithaca makes people like that, I feel. The artistic diversity in Ithaca is pretty non-existant. Live music shows are usually townie folksy, upstart college rock-y, incoherent hippie-y, or, suprisingly, hardcore metal-y.

Sure, here and there different groups arise and I'm sure much more than I ever really made an effort to find but, that is precisely my point. In Ithaca, you had to put so much effort into finding alternatives and, frankly, when you did you'd mostly have to suffer hanging out with nothing but almostt/barely of age college kids. Bottom line, Ithaca latches too vigourously onto their little culture. It caters to a certain crowd of individuals and almost refuses to include anyone else into to it, especially of it even reeks a little of the mainstream.

Thirdly, I got a chance to ultimately break this psychotic menta image I had painted of Virginia. I couldn't help but invision it as this, almost backward, place where every single person was uber-christian or every single place was full of racial tension or I don't know, some place that offered no alternative lifestyle choices what-so-ever. I've gladly found out that is definately not the case. Just like any other large metropolitan area, it offers a little something for everyone. That is the true benefit of larger cities and that is why, ultimately, I had to return to one. I mean the place is rather segragated (a blog for another day) but it still offers up anything one might be interested in.

http://ear-full.blogspot.com/2009/05/viva-la-virginia-lessons-learned-from.html

Lol, i see yall found my flickr, i was just about to post that... hope you enjoy... i was in the pit, 2 rows back. i also took some videos...ill post those in a few.

Welcome to coldplaying!! :)

Looking forward to see your videos as well!

Lol, i see yall found my flickr, i was just about to post that... hope you enjoy... i was in the pit, 2 rows back. i also took some videos...ill post those in a few.

Your photos are amazing, thank you!

still trying to figure out how to embed the video. but here is the link to my youtube page, ive posted a couple of videos. http://www.youtube.com/radiofailure

Oh your videos are amazing!!! :stunned:

Thanks for sharing, the sound is great as well!

All you have to do to embed them is to insert the link of the youtube video (using the globe button, 11th from the left in the second line). It'll be embedded automatically!