✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

"Strawberry Swing" video - RELEASED! (20th July 2009)

1der

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who don't get it

*facepalm

thats stupid i thought it was an amazing video! :smug:

No one, they actually voted 0:P:o

If you click the link 1 you can find out I think:thinking:

oh haha i meant zero :uhoh:

JFC? ... i dont know who that is or why they would do that :angry:

Guest kmm1482
i finally watched that vid, and i don't like the fact that they show the squirrel like a bad animal :( a part of that i like the vid, so lovely and creative. :nice:

I'm sorry. I didn't know there was a big 'pro-squirrel' community.

I liked the vid, but like others have said it would have been better if all the guys were in it. Coldplay is a band not a solo act with a backup band, but at the sametime, I love the yellow vid where it's just Chris on a beach, it was beautiful, and it wouldn't have worked as well with all of them in it.

I loved the visuals in this video so that was cool, but it would have been easy to incorperate the other 3 guys in it. I gave it a 7 for that reason alone. It is fun to watch but I miss seeing Will, Jonny and Guy.

Guest kmm1482
Is that iPhone game released already??

And if yes - anyone have it?

Yeah, it's been out for months! I have it, it's really good! Very professionally done

http://www.babelgum.com/coldplay

The Shynola-directed video sees Chris Martin play an animated superhero in a larger-than-life world drawn entirely in chalk.

Fans will have the opportunity to see the video for the first time ever on Babelgum and on the iPhone application (featuring this video plus Coldplay’s video back catalogue, a news feed and game), from July 20th.

Also on the site:

INTERVIEW WITH ‘STRAWBERRY SWING’ DIRECTORS SHYNOLA

Jason Groves from Shynola talks us through the video:

Where did the name Shynola come from?

Shynola are a group of friends who met at Art College, then somehow fell into the music video world. The name comes from an expression that we encountered in the Steve Martin film ‘The Jerk’: "you don't know shit from Shinola," (Shinola being a widely used brown shoe polish in pre war USA). In our youthful naivety, we imagined that we were Shinola, and everyone else was shit. Now, of course, we know that Michel Gondry is Shinola and that we're shit.

How did you come up with the concept for the video?

The concept evolved from a quite different idea. In our first revision, we pitched an idea based on stories nested within stories. We gradually whittled away all the other bits and were left with the little fairytale in the middle.

Talk us through how you created the video.

We shot it in sunny LA. It was great to get away from London and be in the sunshine for a while. The drawing was incredibly laborious. By the end, the tips of my fingers were all numb and I had worn a weird dent into one finger. They still feel a little odd now, weeks later. However, our discomfort was nothing compared to the uncomfortable poses we made Chris Martin hold for long tortuous minutes. He has pretty good core body strength - imagine having to stay straight as an arrow, balanced on a small skateboard at your waist... It was all pretty nerve-wracking. Shynola has always been 4 people, but late last year our friend and colleague Gideon died suddenly after contracting a virus. So now we are 3 and not so sure of ourselves anymore. On top of that, we hadn't made a music video in 4 years. So here we were, rusty, plunging into a technically difficult shoot, one man down, and it's for the biggest band on the planet! Luckily, we had a great producer, and the label seemed more confident than us that everything would be great. And, as it happened, it was.

Is the princess based upon anyone in particular?

The princess is inspired by characters from Winsor McCay's Little Nemo. Originally I designed the girl to look 6yrs old - about Nemo's age, but it was pointed out to me that it might seem a bit strange for Chris Martin to be kissing a child. So she grew up a little.

Why the evil squirrel?

We've placed bad squirrels in several of our previous music videos. I wish I knew what was behind it. Maybe one of us has a terrible squirrel incident buried in our subconscious.

Have you interesting stories from the shoot to relay to fans?

Chris Martin didn't seem to pay attention to our little instructional films showing him his movements for the next shot. Nervous glances would pass between us as he blithely said "yep, yep, got it." He didn't want to rehearse either. Absurdly though, he was perfect first time, every time. He has a great memory for movement and good body control. The lengthy handstand he did for one of the shots was unrehearsed and unscripted. We hadn't dared to think that kind of shot was possible (especially in the beginning of the pitching process when we were considering Jack Black for the acting part). On the day we did our wardrobe fitting, Chris nervously came out of the dressing room wearing the superhero costume and told us that he was out of his comfort zone and couldn't really judge how he looked. He looked at us for reassurance and all I can remember thinking was: "Oh my god, we've dressed him like a clown."

Luckily, it looked great on camera, and he made the costume look amazing.

"The drawing was incredibly laborious. By the end, the tips of my fingers were all numb and I had worn a weird dent into one finger. They still feel a little odd now, weeks later."

Woah, woah... so how much of that was actually drawn? I thought it was all CG. :o

"The drawing was incredibly laborious. By the end, the tips of my fingers were all numb and I had worn a weird dent into one finger. They still feel a little odd now, weeks later."

Woah, woah... so how much of that was actually drawn? I thought it was all CG. :o

Me too actually!!

I love the whole interview!!

The mystery of the evil squirrel is solved and the whole last paragraph is so cute!!!

"out of his comfort zone" , "Oh my god, we've dressed him like a clown." etc :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

And you can win tickets too!!!

skyscraper2_300_250us.jpg

Win 2 tickets and travel to see Coldplay in Florida on 9 August

The free prize draw will begin on July 20th and end on August 1st. The concert will take place in Florida, August 9th. Babelgum will cover internal US travel, accommodation and expenses for 1 night only.The winner will be informed within 24 hours via email after the draw has taken place. If Babelgum does not receive a response in this time, the draw will be repeated until a winner can be confirmed.

And you can win tickets too!!!

skyscraper2_300_250us.jpg

Win 2 tickets and travel to see Coldplay in Florida on 9 August

The free prize draw will begin on July 20th and end on August 1st. The concert will take place in Florida, August 9th. Babelgum will cover internal US travel, accommodation and expenses for 1 night only.The winner will be informed within 24 hours via email after the draw has taken place. If Babelgum does not receive a response in this time, the draw will be repeated until a winner can be confirmed.

Yay. I just entered it. That'd be a nice way to help with the Coldplay withdrawls I am already having (and it's been 2 days!) :) Thanks for posting about it!!