Those who are dead are not dead. They're just living in my head

Sleep

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by strawberryfields;3374940

Whenever my brother hears that lyrics he changes it to "You thought you might make some toast, you didn't reach the toaster but you made it close."

Much better in my opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

haha I love that change xD

You know, I actually like the lyrics to "42". They're a bit cheesy, but I think "Lost!" is cheesier. ("You might be a big fish in a little pond, doesn't mean you've won 'cause along will come a bigger one" = Worst lyric on VLV) And I like "Lost!" also. Heck, I can name numerous songs with cheesier lyrics than 42.

Overall, if I were to rank my album favorites, "42" would be on the bottom half, but I still like it quite a bit. I think they'll ditch it on the next tour, though.

I love 42, it's one of my favourite songs on VLV. And i've always liked the, "Those who are dead are not dead, they're just living in my head" part. I don't think it sounds cheesy, i think it's just Chris trying to express his feeling about death.

I agree

i always imagined that song being about Chris going crazy. :rolleyes4:

"And since I fell for that spell I am living there as well"

:shrug:

anyway, i suppose that people are like, "42's not that great :dozey:" because the lyrics aren't so cryptic or metaphorical as they are in other songs.

YEAH that sounds about right, what its about. it just seems like he's different, so when people die he thinks that their spirits just go into his head or something...

but it could be whatever josh said too about 42 being about how chris (or jonny or will or guy I guess) look at death.

and I used to hate this song but the third part pulled me back over, and now I love it. except when I listen to it people change the song cause they say its the worst coldplay song... and they dont like the part at the start so they just write it off :confused: and im like nooooooo listen to the rest

I was lucky enough to be one of the Coldplaying.com fans that were picked for VIP tickets for Coldplay's appearance on the Today show last year just as the tour was taking off. It was the first time I had seen Coldplay live since my three year old daughter Ryan had passed away expectantly. She was a big fan of Coldplay. The first song she ever sang to her self wasn't a nursery rhyme but was Fix You. She was my Coldplay buddy, never growing tired of how much I played their music or watched their videos. I had promised her that the next time they toured I would take her to see them. Needless to say, all I could think about was that promise as I watched them play. The last song Coldplay performed that morning was 42. Up to that point, I had held it together, but when Chris sang "those who are dead are not dead they're just living in my head" , well nothing for me could be more true. I took that as a sign, a sign that she was there with me...probably with the best view of anyone.

I was lucky enough to be one of the Coldplaying.com fans that were picked for VIP tickets for Coldplay's appearance on the Today show last year just as the tour was taking off. It was the first time I had seen Coldplay live since my three year old daughter Ryan had passed away expectantly. She was a big fan of Coldplay. The first song she ever sang to her self wasn't a nursery rhyme but was Fix You. She was my Coldplay buddy, never growing tired of how much I played their music or watched their videos. I had promised her that the next time they toured I would take her to see them. Needless to say, all I could think about was that promise as I watched them play. The last song Coldplay performed that morning was 42. Up to that point, I had held it together, but when Chris sang "those who are dead are not dead they're just living in my head" , well nothing for me could be more true. I took that as a sign, a sign that she was there with me...probably with the best view of anyone.

Thank you so much for sharing that :) I wasn't going to say here on this thread, but I feel released to now - that this line always makes me think of my late mother, and how she passed away, and what her place in this world now is - in my memories, and in my heart, and in the others who love her and remember her, too :)

Whenever my brother hears that lyrics he changes it to "You thought you might make some toast, you didn't reach the toaster but you made it close."

Much better in my opinion. :lol:

okay i had to laugh about that one :laugh3:

If we think of our lives, our minds as containing the thoughts and feelings of others, so that when someone dies, perhaps they are not dead - just living in our heads? The flux of life, of human patterns of thought and feeling, and of things not dependent on time, but that transcend the life of any one person. Consider the cathedral, for example. Several generations to construct, yet they are completed by the ideas of those who begin them..

That was deep. :lol:

I don't what some peoples' problem is, but I love that line. It's one of my favorites. Honestly, imagine if someone close to you just died and then you heard that line. Personally, that would make me feel at least the smallest bit better. It's always good to know that the memories of a dearly loved person may never die, even if that person does.

okay so am i the only one here who actually thinks this song has a meaning?

"Those who are dead are not dead they're just living in my head." - pretty self explanatory.

"And since i fell for that spell i am living there as well" To me this means that the spell he's under is that the dead arent dead but they're still living on in his head. Thats the spell he's under. But because he was stupid enough to fall for the "spell" he, too, is living in his head. A dream world.

does anyone understand my interpretation?

i love this song tho. :)

Thank you for sharing trhat with us.I know how hard it is to lose someone.Your daughter sounds like a beautiful little girl...

To me the song means that when someone dies,they are still in your thought and heart...

Chris said he was in the bathroom one day and was thinking abit and realized all his loved ones were still living in his head. :thinking:

I jus think the lyric is shit. Made me cringe the first time I heard it, which is unfortunate cause I love the intsrumental middle bit.

Hmm... Maybe it's my perspective as a crazy old fangirl far outside Coldplay's target demographic, but I find the "Those who are dead...." line very comforting. (Losing my mom earlier this year has a lot to do with it.) As others in this thread have mentioned, it's about the memories living on even past death.

Now excuse me while I go make some toast. :p

:laugh3: (applying to the last line)

My condolences (losing your mom) - my mother died in November last year.

I totally agree with your statement. The line "Those who are dead are not dead, they're just living in my head!" makes me think of dead, very beloved family members.