✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Those who are dead are not dead. They're just living in my head

Sleep

Everybody who says these lyrics... says them ALWAYS in a weird way where I don't know what they're trying to say. Sarcastically I guess you could say.

I'm just wondering.... since I'm not smart enough to have an opinion on these lyrics...

What? Are these lyrics cheesy? Bad? Great?

I don't get it.

There is a thread on this front page atm called the "Degradation of Coldplay" or something, where somebody said

"It use to be...

I'm gonna buy a gun and start a war, if you can tell me something worth fighting for...

but now its

Those who are dead are not dead, they're just living in my head"

I'm guessing thats a bad thing..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we think of our lives, our minds as containing the thoughts and feelings of others, so that when someone dies, perhaps they are not dead - just living in our heads? The flux of life, of human patterns of thought and feeling, and of things not dependent on time, but that transcend the life of any one person. Consider the cathedral, for example. Several generations to construct, yet they are completed by the ideas of those who begin them..

I don't think it's as bad as "You thought you might be a ghost, you didn't get to heaven but you made it close." That's the worst part of the song, in my opinion.

Whenever my brother hears that lyrics he changes it to "You thought you might make some toast, you didn't reach the toaster but you made it close."

Much better in my opinion. :lol:

I really like the music throughout the whole song... as has been said.. the lyrics are another story.

Comes off really well live as well... the 'boom boom boom' after 'you thought you might be a ghost... even if it is pre recorded.

Was this the song C.M. talked up before the album was released.. comparing it to Paranoid Android?

Whenever my brother hears that lyrics he changes it to "You thought you might make some toast, you didn't reach the toaster but you made it close."

That is much better. Now I'm going to think of that whenever the song is playing instead of the actual words.

I don't think it's as bad as "You thought you might be a ghost, you didn't get to heaven but you made it close." That's the worst part of the song, in my opinion.

But it's so good to sing along to!!:D

In fact, one of the best "singalong" parts of any Coldplay song, especially accompanied by handclaps!!

People think 42 is cheesy? Wow. Obviously they do not knoweth the cheese.

But it's so good to sing along to!!

In fact, one of the best "singalong" parts of any Coldplay song, especially accompanied by handclaps!!

I totally agree. The bit where it kicks in and changes is my favourite part of the song. And the handclaps? Brilliant!

Everybody who says these lyrics... says them ALWAYS in a weird way where I don't know what they're trying to say. Sarcastically I guess you could say.

I'm just wondering.... since I'm not smart enough to have an opinion on these lyrics...

What? Are these lyrics cheesy? Bad? Great?

I don't get it.

There is a thread on this front page atm called the "Degradation of Coldplay" or something, where somebody said

"It use to be...

I'm gonna buy a gun and start a war, if you can tell me something worth fighting for...

but now its

Those who are dead are not dead, they're just living in my head"

I'm guessing thats a bad thing..

I think the 42 lyrics are okay. I don't have anything against them but I'm not a big fan either.

I think it just means that that's how he looks at death. Your loved ones are still alive in the memories you have of them.

Agreed.

:lol:

Was this the song C.M. talked up before the album was released.. comparing it to Paranoid Android?

wow.

In my opinion 42 is a good song from VLV, I can't believe a lot of Coldplayers do not like it. One song that is not so plain, in a musical way.

The lyrics never came to my mind as being clumsy because the music is so outstanding that the lyrics are not so striking. They may not be the best of them but also not the worst. Just think of some lyrics on X&Y...

And please tell what do you have against the third part of the song, the switch in it is so surprising at the first time listening that you just have to love it.

Am I the only one who likes the 'you didn't get to heaven but you made it close' part?

Edit: Apparently not. :P

I mean, think about it. Isn't that sort of like losing all chance of happiness or peace?

I think it's a meaningful line.

I love that part :D

It is great live! I go completely mad and sing, dance and clap like a crazy person :lol:

Hmm... Maybe it's my perspective as a crazy old fangirl far outside Coldplay's target demographic, but I find the "Those who are dead...." line very comforting. (Losing my mom earlier this year has a lot to do with it.) As others in this thread have mentioned, it's about the memories living on even past death.

Now excuse me while I go make some toast. :p