✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

BBC6 Music: EMI says Coldplay 2010 album release is UNTRUE

busybeeburns

At first I was thinking the same thing about EMI: why wouldn't they want the boys to release LP5 as soon as possible, i.e., by the end of the year, since EMI needs the money?

But, it could be that EMI might actually benefit from a later release date. I'm not familiar with all the details involved with such contracts, but I'm guessing EMI gets loads of residuals from record sales, concert sales, merchandise sales, etc. So, the longer they have the boys under their wing, the more they get. The monetary present value of these residuals with a later release date might actually be greater than the present value of an earlier release date. It's hard to tell. Plus, aren't the boys free agents after LP5 anyway? If they're itching to get out of EMI (which may be sarcasm from Chris in the interview about being "owned"), then they definitely would want to release it sooner. That would also be why EMI would want them to release it later, because EMI would want to keep the boys around as long as possible.

Just a thought.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I was thinking the same thing about EMI: why wouldn't they want the boys to release LP5 as soon as possible, i.e., by the end of the year, since EMI needs the money?

But, it could be that EMI might actually benefit from a later release date. I'm not familiar with all the details involved with such contracts, but I'm guessing EMI gets loads of residuals from record sales, concert sales, merchandise sales, etc. So, the longer they have the boys under their wing, the more they get. The monetary present value of these residuals with a later release date might actually be greater than the present value of an earlier release date. It's hard to tell. Plus, aren't the boys free agents after LP5 anyway? If they're itching to get out of EMI (which may be sarcasm from Chris in the interview about being "owned"), then they definitely would want to release it sooner. That would also be why EMI would want them to release it later, because EMI would want to keep the boys around as long as possible.

Just a thought.

Interesting thoughts.

Just a thought.

I thought about that too: why it might be adventageous for EMI to push off the release, and I think you're right. At the same time, record sales of their previous 4 albums etc trickling in in small numbers over the next year doesn't equal the huge goldrush of a brand-new record from their top-selling artist, and since they're apparently hurting so badly these days, I'd bet they'd want to sweep as much money into their arms as fast as possible. Which is why I'm confused as to why they'd so quickly refute the idea that Coldplay could release something this year. I feel like there's something contractual involved, like there's a stipulation on how quickly and close together they can release their LPs, or that the band and EMI might have had to reach an agreement by now about a winter 2010 release. I'm going to have to go back and re-watch the interview, but did Chris actually use the word ALBUM or FIFTH ALBUM? Because I wouldn't be surprised if they released a "Best Of" sort of compilation with 2-3 new tracks sprinkled in it and called it a release, especially if they actually want to get off EMI and if their contract allows any major releases, new material or not, to count in the 5-album deal. Pearl Jam did that with their Rearview Mirror compilation to get off their label.

Also, how official is it that Coldplay is actually contractually bound to 5 albums with EMI? I've always taken that to be true, and I know it's hypocritical to say I suddenly believe something Chris said in an interview, but both he and Jonny made it sound like they either won't be free of EMI after the next album, or they don't want to be. :thinking:

I get the feeling that since EMI Group is a British based company, their best figures come before the end of the UK tax year in April. As EMI are under a period of major transition, they may feel that their existing infrastructure could not maximise profits until well into next year.

I don't know whether that month is the same in the US, but depending on whether EMI want a major profit boost for year ending April 2010 or year ending April 2011, we may see the release date of LP5 being influenced by such yearly revenue streams.

I don't know whether that month is the same in the US, but depending on whether EMI want a major profit boost for year ending April 2010 or year ending April 2011, we may see the release date of LP5 being influenced by such yearly revenue streams.

"Tax Day" here in the U.S. is April 15 (I like to refer to it as the "Ides of April"), however it is for the preceding year ending December 31. I'm not sure how the timing may work for businesses, what they can claim as revenue/expenses/profits/whatever for tax purposes. You also have a good theory there.

vveeddddddddddddddyyy eeeeeeeeeeenteresting

Wow, really interesting to read all of your thoughts, I must say!

I absolutely agree with those of you who say that it's possible for the boys to get something out late 2010/early 2011. I don't really have much to say about EMI, 'cause I don't know much about the relationship between them and Coldplay.

But, as I said, all of you have really interesting views on the whole affair.

This means that EMI gets to tell Coldplay that they need to get an album out by a certain date?? That dosent seem fair and its almost certain to mess with the creative process.

So I suppose they're really recording a new album and it could be done by Christmas, but I think it will come out next year, so it's more waited, because they have all that problems with EMI, and it's also said that it won't be realised by EMI so maybe they are still arguing about it.... don't know.... hope it come by next year so they ome to BCN by summer, because that's another thing, do you think they will do another tour next year, after two years aut of home... my good they have family!

have you listened the video? guy left A rush of blood in the train!! jajaja and he didn't tell it!

This means that EMI gets to tell Coldplay that they need to get an album out by a certain date?? That dosent seem fair and its almost certain to mess with the creative process.

That's the music business, and the world of business in general. But I don't think that means the band can't RECORD whenever they want...they can have five full albums in the can ready to go if they want, but that definitely doesn't mean they can release whatever they want when they want--only label-free bands like Radiohead have any kind of leeway like that. Which is kinda why I want record labels to die...I think the music market would explode with all kinds of good things creativity wise when a good chunk of the big business is taken out of the picture.

I still say summer 2011 at the earliest :P. Coincinding with my university graduation :dance:.

I would like to believe Chris but anyhow the final word has the record company.

Considering all the promotion that has to be done before the release it is also very expensive to bring out a new album from a such a big act like Coldplay.

I'm also worried about the quality of the next album - if the record company is in trouble they will probably demand from CP that they will not change their style that much and I am not so fond of Viva la vida part 2.... :dozey:

I would like to believe Chris but anyhow the final word has the record company.

Considering all the promotion that has to be done before the release it is also very expensive to bring out a new album from a such a big act like Coldplay.

I'm also worried about the quality of the next album - if the record company is in trouble they will probably demand from CP that they will not change their style that much and I am not so fond of Viva la vida part 2.... :dozey:

Don't worry about the quality Will is EMI's mole ;)

I was hoping for a 2010 release, but this doesn't really surprise me. I don't understand why EMI feel they need to say something already though. :thinking:

I've learned to believe nothing that comes out of Chris's mouth regarding releases/the band unless it's in writing on coldplay.com :P. I love the man to death, but I don't think I'll ever believe anything he says in an interview.

Unless it's "I love Chelsea." I might have to take his word for it on that one.

:lol:

I don't see why they can't release an album if chris thinks its going to be finished by christmas. There no point leaving sitting around for ages waiting to be leaked.
I agree.

Just a thought.

You have a very good point, Carrie.

Wow, really interesting to read all of your thoughts, I must say!
That was what I thought too, I really agree!

Ian - you should add the Easter Bunny to the poll. And the tooth fairy.

Or maybe "whatever gets the 'Will Champion Seal of Approval' ".

:lol:

:lol: Haha!