✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

BBC6 Music: EMI says Coldplay 2010 album release is UNTRUE

busybeeburns

I'd say that Coldplay wanted to start the rumours and raise the expectations for the next album.

But there's obviously something in the EMI - Coldplay relationship, this was almost as to mark that the band can't go around saying anything they want, that the label is still in charge. Dunno why though, just made this whole thing so much bigger than it should've been.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As if they were going to release something in 2010 anyway. u guise, u get ur hopes up 2 much.

Pissing off the biggest act left on your struggling label = baaaad idea

I'll be amused if Chris actually gets the grumbles about it tho, but you are right

remember LeftRightLeftRightLeft? the band paid EMI to get this released as free and i believe the label just need to get even on that, show around who's the boss.

Payment to EMI. It that the reason why Chris said in an interview I recently watched that they can't just go recording in any old church? They don't have the money after paying their record label? :laugh3:

As much as I would love LP5 out by Christmas, I have my doubts, especially with the LA tour in between. Unless they already have everything written....:dozey:

Well, the LA tour lasts less than a month, and they did make it sound like much of it was written while they were on tour last year, so if that's the case all they really need to do is record/mix/play around with it a little, and they've already started that, plus they might test out some songs on the LA tour...

But only time will tell. Obviously.

I wouldn't read too much into this. Look at the wording.

Chris says sort of casually in an interview that they're hoping to finish the album in time to release it before Christmas. In other words that's their personal deadline, and nothing has been formally scheduled at EMI yet. Chris was saying Christmas 2009 over a year ago and that didn't work out for them. They always need more time than they say at first. It's just how they work.

The quote gets spread around, and of course like a giant game of telephone, it gets warped. Headlines proclaiming the certainty of a December release date abound: "Chris Martin Confirms New Coldplay By Christmas" "Coldplay to release new album this year" (NME) "Coldplay Return Before Christmas" (Also in a case of definitely not paying attention - Chris said they AREN'T worried about a leak: "Coldplay worried about album leak" :dozey:)

So the BBC, being what seems like the last occasionally responsible journalists on the planet do the responsible thing: The call EMI to see if the release date is definite. Of course it isn't officially on the books yet, because Chris himself only said that date was a hopeful one, so EMI says no, it isn't coming out then.

The article quashed, the BBC relegates the EMI response to a tweet. It doesn't mean there's necessarily any friction between band and label, or even a misunderstanding. It may come out in December, and it might not. It depends on when the boys actually finish the album, and how much time EMI wants for marketing after that.

They don't have the album ready yet, they still need a lot of time,maybe around 18 months more. I highly doubt it will be released on June 2010.

No way. All of their albums have been done in 2-3 year spacing, so based on that, a new album at the end of the year is not unlikely at all. But I'm guessing it will be early 2011, since that's closer to 3 years since VLVODAAHF.

Chris says sort of casually in an interview that they're hoping to finish the album in time to release it before Christmas. In other words that's their personal deadline, and nothing has been formally scheduled at EMI yet. Chris was saying Christmas 2009 over a year ago and that didn't work out for them. They always need more time than they say at first. It's just how they work.

The quote gets spread around, and of course like a giant game of telephone, it gets warped. Headlines proclaiming the certainty of a December release date abound: "Chris Martin Confirms New Coldplay By Christmas" "Coldplay to release new album this year" (NME) "Coldplay Return Before Christmas" (Also in a case of definitely not paying attention - Chris said they AREN'T worried about a leak: "Coldplay worried about album leak" :dozey:)

So the BBC, being what seems like the last occasionally responsible journalists on the planet do the responsible thing: The call EMI to see if the release date is definite. Of course it isn't officially on the books yet, because Chris himself only said that date was a hopeful one, so EMI says no, it isn't coming out then.

The article quashed, the BBC relegates the EMI response to a tweet. It doesn't mean there's necessarily any friction between band and label, or even a misunderstanding. It may come out in December, and it might not. It depends on when the boys actually finish the album, and how much time EMI wants for marketing after that.

This. Especially the part about the label/band friction...I'm no great fan of EMI myself, but I think it's kind of ridiculous for us to assume that they have spats about who says what regarding the band first, when it barely means anything money-wise in a concrete form yet.

Ahhhh...the voice of reason.

No way. All of their albums have been done in 2-3 year spacing, so based on that, a new album at the end of the year is not unlikely at all. But I'm guessing it will be early 2011, since that's closer to 3 years since VLVODAAHF.

Parachutes-AROBTTH gap: 2 years

AROBTTH-X&Y gap: 3 years

X&Y-VLV gap: 3 years

Add the fact that they got quite big after AROBTTH, I would say 3.