✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

BBC6 Music: EMI says Coldplay 2010 album release is UNTRUE

busybeeburns

Coldplay-Chris-Martin-new-album-2010.jpg

Chris Martin and EMI can’t agree on when Coldplay’s new album is coming out

Coldplay's label EMI say reports the band are releasing their fifth studio album by the end of 2010 are not true.

bbc6musicEMI.jpg

In a new interview with Brazilian television network Globo, Chris Martin said that he’s hoping for a December 2010 release for Coldplay’s fifth studio album. He might want to check in with EMI, however, before making such statements again and causing fans to start joyously singing like Roman cavalry choirs—because the label seems to have a differing opinion on when the record will drop.

Martin stated that the album will be out “hopefully this Christmas.” And when asked whether it would be Coldplay’s final album, the singer planted tongue firmly in cheek and replied, “No. I think we have about 500 more. Seriously, we signed for a lot… We’re owned. We can’t do anything without asking somebody’s permission.”

But this morning it appeared as if Chris Martin didn’t have the permission to speak about the upcoming album. BBC 6 Music News tweeted the following: “Coldplay’s label EMI say reports the band are releasing their fifth studio album by the end of 2010 are not true.”

Tensions have been high at EMI, as the company has been struggling with major debt issues. Because of that, the label was forced to offer up another denial recently—of the rumor that it will sell London’s famous Abbey Road studios.

Perhaps instead of holding Coldplay back from releasing their upcoming album, cash-strapped EMI really ought to be pushing the band to get it out sooner.

http://idolator.com/5417242/chris-martin-and-emi-cant-agree-on-when-coldplays-new-album-is-coming-out

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No suprise there :rolleyes:. But I wonder how far in advance CP and EMI have to agree on a release time? Not that I ACTUALLY think they'd get their act together enough to have a 2010 release, but it must pain EMI to release a statement saying that their biggest artist WON'T have a release this year despite rumors...given their current panic, anyway.

Summer 2011 or 2012 at the earliest, I'd say.

What a big surprise....lol of course 2010 was too soon.

Not surprised and it's probably for the best. It's a little soon and a lengthier recording period will likely yield a better product anyway. Plus,. the boys need a good break. 2011 for sure.

This!!

I don't think the end of 2010 is too soon at all. I mean, that will be a full 2 1/2 years since the release of their last one. Wasn't it just under 3 years between X&Y and VLVODAAHF? I'd guess an early 2011 release though, given their previous track record...

Almost 3 years exactly for X&Y to VLVOD, so the end of 2010 isn't completely impossible, but I don't think it's likely. As much as I'd eat up any major release they put out initially, for the sake of their work I hope they put more time between VLVOD and the next album. They're definitely growing as artists, and I would think the more time between albums, the better and more different they'd be. At least, that's what I assume.

If they actually have a major 2010 release, especially one by Christmas, I'll personally go to the Bakery and knock on the door when they're there and pretend to be selling Girl Scout cookies/magazine subscriptions/Jehovah's Witness leaflets. While wearing all my Coldplay regalia :P.

^True, like I say, not impossible. But we know how Chris runs his mouth, we know how busy they are and recently have been (so I bet they could use something more of a break), and we figure that EMI needs the money SO badly that they wouldn't refute it within hours if there was any hope of it being true.

I would love a release ASAP as much as the next CPer, but I've learned to believe nothing that comes out of Chris's mouth regarding releases/the band unless it's in writing on coldplay.com :P. According to him, they should have broken up long ago, should be breaking up soon, we should have more than 4 albums released by now, he should be completely bald...and a whole host of other things. I love the man to death, but I don't think I'll ever believe anything he says in an interview.

Unless it's "I love Chelsea." I might have to take his word for it on that one.

:wideeyed:

:lol:

True, but all of their albums have been about 2 to 3 years apart, so I don't think it's unusual at all. It's obviously enough time for them to create something great, look at the other ones! ;)

Agreed, late 2010 is feasible. Especially considering they were writing a lot of their new stuff while they were touring, they were itching to spew it all out in the studio, plus Rossi's recent tweet gushing about how "productive" the band is, I think late 2010 is entirely possible.

... but I've learned to believe nothing that comes out of Chris's mouth regarding releases/the band unless it's in writing on coldplay.com :P. According to him, they should have broken up long ago, should be breaking up soon, we should have more than 4 albums released by now, he should be completely bald...and a whole host of other things. I love the man to death, but I don't think I'll ever believe anything he says in an interview.

True. It is often hard to tell when he is being serious versus being sarcastic and/or snarky.