✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

-Does it annoy you when people don't like what you like?

Reilly

Yknawwhadayemean?

Personally, no, not at all. It's rare that I try to push a band/film/book/game or whatever onto another persons, and when I do it's more in the hope they enjoy it too, so they can enjoy it for themselves.

That's what I hope for, rather then the expectation that they should like it, and I should look great for suggesting it, because that seems to be why some people do constantly recommend different things they are enjoying. That can get really fucking annoying. Especially the disappointment they show when you don't like it, almost like you should feel guilty, and the probing as to why you don't like it.

Is anyone lost yet? I am!

But what made me bring this topic up is how aware I just became of how it annoys me if someone likes what I really dislike (But that's a confusing topic title). For example, Family Guy, new Simpsons episodes, for a start, to many different trends in music, with some things I feel like I'm on a crusade to promote just how much I hate it.

Most things I do like are slightly obscure, at least when put in relation with eachother, look like there's no real correlation there, so if someone doesn't like something I do like, they either have a good reason for it, or they didn't really get into it and never tried to understand. A less obscure example being Sigur Ros, once when a person I kinda knew started slagging them off for ages, about how it's suicidal and depressing (Y'know, one of them types) I said they were my favourite band at that time, and he kept apologising. It was like, I didn't write the songs! Why's he apologising? But I do think in that example, along with Radiohead who are widely in the same boat, if a person doesn't like the music because it's suicidal or gloomy, they haven't tried to understand it in the slightest, so it just doesn't bother me.

Besides, since the 70's, upbeat music is shit, and everyone knows it..

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to get really annoyed at people liking shit things, heck even a month or so ago I really would have, but I dunno I've noticed a drastic change in mentality inside myself recently and I just don't care anymore, if what people like makes them happy then that's good for them, it doesn't affect my life at all what they like and as long as they don't preach to me or tell me to watch it or try and criticise what I like to watch/listen to, telling me theirs is better then there's no issue. People don't seem to share my policy though and they often breach the outlines I just mentioned so that's why I tend to have a problem with people.

What annoys me more is when people are so defensive and ridiculous about what they like that if you even mention that you don't like it they go into attack mode and start thinking of reasons why you wouldn't like it, maybe I listened to the wrong songs, maybe I watched the show in the wrong frame of mind, maybe I'm an idiot with no fucking taste, it's ridiculous. Accept that people like different things to you and enjoy what you like about the thing you were defending instead of worrying about what people think about you liking it.

^^^ I disagree with that last statement. At any rate, I get what you mean. It doesn't bother me too much. I do get disappointed when I try to get other people to like what I like and it doesn't work. That's when I try to keep people's tastes into perspective.

I don't get offended or anything, but it depends by what reason the person don't like it.

I can really understand people apologizing in those types of situations though. Some just takes these kind of things more personally then others.

I'm just sortof realising the pointlessness of this topic question, because nobody is really going to admit that they don't like it when people don't like what they do.

Because the people I've known who have been like that, are ignorant fuckers and probably don't realise how spasticated they are being. People as mentioned here:

What annoys me more is when people are so defensive and ridiculous about what they like that if you even mention that you don't like it they go into attack mode and start thinking of reasons why you wouldn't like it, maybe I listened to the wrong songs, maybe I watched the show in the wrong frame of mind, maybe I'm an idiot with no fucking taste, it's ridiculous. Accept that people like different things to you and enjoy what you like about the thing you were defending instead of worrying about what people think about you liking it.

No.

What bugs me is when people are really rude about it, but that has nothing to do with taste, only manners. The two classics: "It must suck because I've never heard of it" and Nathan's favorite, "It's shit". The former doesn't matter from random people- if they want to be that closed-minded it's their problem. It hurts coming from friends, because I expect them to be at least a little bit less judgy and superficial than that.

The latter type I usually just ignore as a jerk. If you're that against it, what's the point in even commenting? Unless it's Nathan who never quits, and then I picture him as one of those troll dolls- you know the ones with the rainbow hair and the little pink tutus?

resize?sq=100&uid=1831403180

It bugs me when someone does it to someone else though- I don't care if they like Nickleback. I still would never say something like that to their face.

Personally, I'm a geek. I know I'm a geek and that I geek out over lots of random geeky stuff. When I like something, I obsess over it. I get excessively excited. It's part of who I am. I try to keep most of my obsessions to myself so I don't annoy other people with them, but they tend to burst out sooner or later. When I share an interest, it's out of pure excitement and joy over it. I don't expect anyone else to like it. I'd be disappointed if everyone did, actually- it wouldn't seem so much like my thing anymore.

But I really don't get it when people can't leave well enough alone. Like way back when I was getting into Babylon 5. Everyone else in the house didn't like it. Which was fine. The show was on at a time when nothing else was. Yet people still would flock around the tv the moment I turned it on and would whine about why would I want to watch that terrible show. I would tell them this is my show you don't have to watch it or like it. But it was like it was an affront to their dignity that the tv could possibly ever be tuned into something distasteful to them. :mad: It's the same on forums- if you don't like that thing, why repeatedly go into the same thread and repeatedly whine about how much you hate it? Seems like a waste of effort.

^"start thinking of reasons why you wouldn't like it" ...and so on. I suppose I've been guilty of that before. :embarrassed: But with me it more trying to figure out what rubbed them the wrong way about it. I'm curious. I'm from a critically trained and creative background, so getting to the root of what set someone off, and figuring out their motivations and reasoning is fascinating for me. People frequently don't like something for a different reason than they think they didn't on the surface, and getting to the heart of it tells me a lot about how the mind and perception works. Plus, useful criticism about something else helps me with my own creative stuff.

...Sigur Ros :nice: So you do like something.

I only get annoyed with my sister when she hates stuff i like.

I know some of my friends don't like some bands i like, but it doesn't bother me at all.Mainly because they honestly do not like them or have good reasons.

My sister however would have opinions on music, shows and movies

without even listening/watching them.

You know the typical "They're shit" and "That's fucking stupid" etc.

^"start thinking of reasons why you wouldn't like it" ...and so on. I suppose I've been guilty of that before. :embarrassed: But with me it more trying to figure out what rubbed them the wrong way about it.

I've got no problem telling the right kind of person if I have a problem or objection to something they like, I can watch a show or listen to a song and analyse it, perceive it and articulate where it went wrong with me. But I hate, like what Nathan was saying, when people get so defensive about it. It's especially bad when they peddle you to watch their show or listen to their music, and when you finally do, they are all over you for not liking it.

...Sigur Ros :nice: So you do like something.

I liked them at least, they're newer stuff is gack. :nice:

I only get annoyed with my sister when she hates stuff i like.

I know some of my friends don't like some bands i like, but it doesn't bother me at all.Mainly because they honestly do not like them or have good reasons.

My sister however would have opinions on music, shows and movies

without even listening/watching them.

You know the typical "They're shit" and "That's fucking stupid" etc.

Normally I can ignore that because it's just being ignorant and probably has nothing to do with the actual show or whatever, must be annoying to live with after a while though.

Normally I can ignore that because it's just being ignorant and probably has nothing to do with the actual show or whatever, must be annoying to live with after a while though.

It's pretty irritating.

The latest example of it was yesterday.

me: "..... i'm going to a concert on sunday"

her: "oh, who are you seeing?

Me : "Fionn Regan"

Her : "well...i've never heard of him ..(then gave me that *well he must be shit* look."

It's pretty irritating.

The latest example of it was yesterday.

me: "..... i'm going to a concert on sunday"

her: "oh, who are you seeing?

Me : "Fionn Regan"

Her : "well...i've never heard of him ..(then gave me that *well he must be shit* look."

I get that all the time. Apparently I'm weird if I don't like the same popular music everyone else does.

It doesn't really both me if people don't like the same kind of music or different kinds. I mean it's all about opinion and a personal taste. Of course it's better to have people that have similar music tastes because then it makes it easier to have a conversation about music though.

I do find it annoying when people mock what bands what I may like because who the hell are they to say what I like? Even if they were the most prestigious music critic, I don't care what they have to say because I like what I like.

Sometimes, it kinda depends. Usually my friends and I have nothing in common with our music taste, so I don't ever expect them to like the same songs or bands as me. When it comes to movies though, we usually like some of the same things, but once when I showed my friend a movie I loved and she ended up not liking it, I got kind of pissed off. I think I'm better with it now, people just like different things, and that's alright with me.

Depends. If it's something I know little about, I say "oh ok". If it's something I don't like, I might give my reasons why. If it's something I hate I'll just give my reasons but I'll tolerate them yapping on about it and enjoying said thing. It also varies on my mood.

(I can even tolerate Kings of Overplayed Leon now! :awesome:)