🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The 6th Mixtape Exchange (closed for entries)

Black Rose

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Hotdensestate- here's the link to the 2nd mix:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gkmakmn4mmijhbm

Let me know if there are any problems with it... It was a pain to upload, for some reason.

Anyone who hasn't received a mix is welcome to it, too!

AND, to my mixtape maker, I'm listening again to my mix... will try to have a review up by tonight! (it's 1:30pm here ;) ) Sorry for the delay!

@Hotdensestate- here's the link to the 2nd mix:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gkmakmn4mmijhbm

Let me know if there are any problems with it... It was a pain to upload, for some reason.

Anyone who hasn't received a mix is welcome to it, too!

AND, to my mixtape maker, I'm listening again to my mix... will try to have a review up by tonight! (it's 1:30pm here ;) ) Sorry for the delay!

Cool, I'll listen in an hour or so. :braces: Thanks a lot!

^^ Erika, I think Dave mentioned something about giving the no-shows until the end of the week or something...? I know he was on earlier because he PM'ed me something, but I'm not sure if he's been on recently.

Ok so I've started listening to my mixtape but haven't managed 60 mins of it yet, so decided to review in stages... my mixer will be on tenterhooks all week :P :)

17 tracks - unfortunately track 15 is missing :(

1 - (Anon titled "If") - I love these kind of tracks... no lyrics, just atmosphere. They make albums really stand out. This track reminded me immediately of Phoenix Nights with the tinkling at the start :laugh3: No idea who this artist is but if this song is indicitive I'd like to hear more...

2 - (Anon titled "You're") - Don't know who this artist is either... not sure about the headache-inducing drum loop in the background which makes the song quickly irritating... sorry!

3 - (Anon titled "Lost") - Back on track - this one had me tapping on the desk, but noticed the word particles appears in this song as it did in track 2 - are these two songs linked in any way?? :thinking: Lots going on in this song, including a flute? and drum signature which dominates the singing. Mysteriously addictive song! .........

4 - (Anon titled "And") - Shortish 3 minute song with a catchy string melody - sounded quite folky - artist unknown. A solo artist perhaps? And those waffles look tasty too!

Alright so... my mixtaper hadn’t actually deleted the informations on most of the tracks so I could see what I was listening to but I tried not to until I finish reviewing.

Track 1 – Very atmospheric song, perfect way to start a mixtape. Obviously, this is Bjork. I'm not that much into her but I do not dislike her, that track is awesome, very relaxing and I wish it was lasting longer. ****

Track 2 – We're staying in this kind of psychedelic atmosphere but it's getting more dynamic. I like that a lot, perfect transition. I don't know this band at all though I'd say the voice reminds me that of Damon Albarn. That track is also driving me a little crazy with the repetition of ''oh now, then, never again'', but it's actually quite addicting. I wanna give this band a try. ***

Track 3 – Good job on the transition, this one is a bit less psychedelic but it's close to the other tracks. A bit more ''rhythmic'', quite interesting. The voice reminds me of Bjork, I'm not too into it but it's ok. The keyboard makes the song a little retro, that's quite interesting. I prefer the two other tracks though. **

Track 4 – Beat. That's turning a bit more indie rock which is not a bad thing. This song didn't catch my attention that much, felt it was a mix of different things we hear a lot nowadays. Plus this male voice hasn't anything special imo but it's a pleasant track, especially the end which is getting a bit more dynamic. **

Track 5 – Once again very good transition, and we're back in the psychedelic atmo, loving this. The beginning of the track is awesome, the electric guitar solo is totally addictive. Could be from Radiohead though the background voice which we can hear sometimes makes me think that it's not. Rhythm accelerating toward the end, brilliant. Prob my fav track of the tape. That's totally what I like to listen to, can't wait to know who that’s from. ****

Track 6 – Starts with a solo of guitar which sounds a bit oldie, which the voice confirms. Can't deny I'm a little surprised to hear that in the middle of the mixtape, but it's funny so it kinda brings a ''fresh'' (but also a bit melancholic as well) touch to the mixtape. **

Track 7 – ''Hoarse sounding'' female voice, like it a lot. Quite experimental, and indie. The kind of artist I would totally love (although that track might be a bit too slow for me). It actually turned out I totally know who sings that (but I realised that when I saw the informations of the track, I wouldn't have guessed on my own). I only have a few tracks of PJ. The end where she's whispering ''little fish big fish swimming in the water...'' is A BLAST. ***

Track 8 – Good transition, once again, I'm liking the work done on that mixtape, really sounds like the track weren't put in a random order. Light track, is that British ? Good track to get closer to the end of the mixtape, relaxing, I feel like I'm in a movie (such as The Party ahah). I'm finding the track a bit repetitive but not in a bad way. It's pleasant to listen to. **

Track 9 – Crazy opening of an electro track with the sound of someone breathing which was slowed down. Fun, and interesting. Once again it's all about atmosphere, so it fits perfectly the mixtape. It's fun I'm listening to this mixtape after waking up (right, at 5pm cause I was travelling and didn't sleep these last 3 days) because I feel it's the perfect situation to listen to it. It's waking me up in a lovely way. Anyway that track is crazy and I love that, especially the French sentence in the middle (who are you mixtaper? are you French?) ***

Track 10 – Ends on a very soft track, piano voice (female). It just happens I'm into impressive female voices, so I do like this track which is quite moving and a beautiful way to close the mixtape. I saw it was Bat for Lashes, which is very surprising for me, I would have thought it was older. I saw BfL live before Coldplay and they didn't catch my attention this much. I'm impressed, this track is the first one I like from them. It's a real good one. Thanks a lot for that. ***

So as a conclusion, first I'd like to thank my mixtaper who obviously worked seriously on this mixtape. There's really a whole atmosphere which flows through the tape and which makes it very pleasant to listen to (and as I said, which fits my mood perfectly).

I decided to take the links to my twitter and lastfm account off my signature at the beginning of the game cause I didn't want to hear a mixtape made according to my taste but something a bit more ''personal'', which would gimme a clue of my mixtaper's tastes and personality, and I feel like it worked perfectly. That's exactly what I wanted to hear, plus that's the kind of songs I totally like - though I don't have many from that genre so thanks a lot for that.

Looking forward to know more about the artists I discovered through your tape.

Here's what I know :

Track 1 – Hidden Place by Bjork

Track 2 – Too Young To Love by The Big Pink (dunno them)

Track 3 – Heartbeats by The Knife (I know them but never tried to listen to them)

Track 4 – ???

Track 5 – A Deafening Distance by ???

Track 6 -

Track 7 – Down By The Water by PJ Harvey

Track 8 - ???

Track 9 - ???

Track 10 – I’m On Fire by Bat For Lashes

Overall, I'd give it a 8/10. Awesome tape (too short though, but maybe it could be strange to dive in this atmosphere for a longer time?)!

First of all I have to apologize. I did my mixtape in a hurry so I did not notice some information was not deleted. I was sure I actually delted all, but now I see I did not. And because of the hurry forgot to add some 2 songs, and then wanted to send the link again but it was too late and I was having trouble with mediafire. And I'm glad you liked it, I was afraid you knew the songs or just did not find coherent at all, specially because I was totally unaware of your tastes.

Track 1 – Hidden Place by Bjork

Track 2 – Too Young To Love by The Big Pink

Track 3 – Heartbeats by The Knife

Track 4 – Don't You Evah by Spoon

Track 5 – A Deafening Distance by God is an astronaut

Track 6 - Motorcycle Emptiness by Manic Street Preachers

Track 7 – Down By The Water by PJ Harvey

Track 8 - Disconnect The Dots by Of Montreal

Track 9 - Window Licker by Aphext Twin

Track 10 – I’m On Fire by Bat For Lashes

Ok so I've started listening to my mixtape but haven't managed 60 mins of it yet, so decided to review in stages... my mixer will be on tenterhooks all week :P :)

17 tracks - unfortunately track 15 is missing :(

1 - (Anon titled "If") - I love these kind of tracks... no lyrics, just atmosphere. They make albums really stand out. This track reminded me immediately of Phoenix Nights with the tinkling at the start :laugh3: No idea who this artist is but if this song is indicitive I'd like to hear more...

2 - (Anon titled "You're") Don't know who this artist is either... not sure about the headache-inducing drum loop in the background which makes the song quickly irritating... sorry!

3 - (Anon titled "Feeling") Back on track - this one had me tapping on the desk, but noticed the word particles appears in this song as it did in track 2 - are these two songs linked in any way?? :thinking: Lots going on in this song, including a flute? and drum signature which dominates the singing. Mysteriously addictive song! .........

4 - (Anon titled "And") - Shortish 3 minute song with a catchy string melody - sounded quite folky - artist unknown. A solo artist perhaps? And those waffles look tasty too!

haha, track one sounds like it might be frosti by bjork on vespertine. if it is i'm never gonna be able to listen to it again without thinking phoenix nights :lol:

Okay, I decided to give a full review, as I'm not really sure who gave me mine yet. :uhoh:

- Song 1 -

Wow, I love how you started off this mixtape!! The synth is so exciting and bubbly, and I love the lead singer's voice. :wacky:

- Song 2 -

Guitar. <3 I feel like I've heard this song before. :thinking: :P

- Song 3 -

This song was pretty good. I loved the guitar :P I really like the lead singer's voice here too :nice:

- Song 4 -

I didn't really care for this song at first, but really liked how it got more er...rock and rollish toward the end :lol: Is it Muse?

- Song 5 -

WEIRD FISHES. :drunk: ah, I was so excited when I heard this come on! haha

- Song 6 -

This song is iffy for me. I think it'll be one of those I need to listen to a few times before I really like it. :wacko: But it's catchy :awesome:

- Song 7 -

I loved the music in this song, especially the piano :wacky: i really liked the lyrics too :nice:

- Song 8 -

TRAVIS :heart: one of my favourite songs :D couldn't help but start singing when I heard this one <3

- Song 9 -

The guitar in this song was really brilliant. It's so upbeat and I really love the lead singer's voice! What band is this??

- Song 10 -

It was great to hear a female's voice, really brilliant acoustic :heart:

- Song 11 -

Fucking Keane. :dead: I wuv you. :heart:

- Song 12 -

Something tells me this is Sigur Ros...prolly the really strange lyrics :lol: I liked this one a lot :D

Thank you so much!!! I really enjoyed listening to this, and I love getting new music :P

Hello mixtape-maker, nice to meet you :D

I liked it all; in different amounts obviously but overall I really enjoyed listening to it. Thanks :thumbsup: I definately want to check out Mutemath now, and will listen to The National some more. Might even go back an' revisit those Kooks albums :lol: Explosions in The Sky - do they have any vocal stuff or it is all instrumental? I think I'd like to hear more of that too :)

btw don't worry about the artwork; I did try to listen to it 'blind' as much as possible.

I'm interested to know what artists you discarded now...:cool:

Explosions in the Sky are all instrumental. All the songs I've heard from them are very well done though, so I think if you liked that song you would like a lot of their other ones too. Mutemath and The National are really good ones to give a listen also.:nice:

The Kooks some of their work I do like, some of their work I don't. But I still would listen to some of their music too. Also, If you did like that song there is this song called I will Follow You Into the Dark by Death Cab for Cutie, I would recommend.

I could give you the list that I discarded, if you're interested. :tongue:

Okay, so here's my review!

(I absolutely suck at giving reviews so just bare with me :blush: )

1. Well what a perfect start to this mix! At first, I thought it was gonna just be an instrumental but I was wrong, yo! I have never heard this song before but I am 200% sure it's Thom Yorke singing, so it could either be something from his solo work which I've yet to check out or it's a Radiohead b-side or non released. :3 I loveeed that song, everything about it was amazing! Very Amnesiac era <3

2. I like on this track the girl's voice, it's haunting in a way and really awesome! And the drum that goes through out the song :thumbsup:

3. The guy's voice is interesting and I really enjoyed how the song flowed and the xylophone sounding thing in the background :D

4. I enjoyed this song very much so... especially the part when they would draw out the words like I dunno what they were saying but yeah, like... lalallalllaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeerrrrr and the whistling at the beginning. :wacky: :anxious:

5. Thom Yorke's voice again! Fuck yes! From the very beginning of the song though, I was super drawn to it! That bass is really delish! :bomb:

6. Is this The Flaming Lips? I ask because I have one song from Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots and well they keep repeating Yoshimi and robots in the song, so I'm taking an educated guess :P Never heard this song though, It's decent I guess, not exactly amazing.

7. Mmmm, Beach House! I love this song <3

8. Liked this track, very chill and I liked the guy's voice. Definitely something I'd listen to!

9. Interesting instrumental, I was waiting for someone to start singing but all I got was Ahhhsss, that's alright, pretty ace either way :)

10. Haha, the music reminded me of a song you'd find in a comedy like Superbad or any kind of Seth Rogen movie during a stupid action scene of some sort...or on the trailer to those comedy cop movies, i dunno why but that's what it first brought into my mind :P

11. :surprised: Awesome transition :surprised: To me it sounds like a mix between Animal Collective & MGMT, me likey!

12. Sorta reminded me of Bat for Lashes, which is good (: Liked it quite a bit.

13. Meh, it was Ok, not really something that would grab my attention.

14. This one is alright. Maybe if I listen to it more it will grow on me (:

15. Her voice sounds sooooooooooo familiar and it seems as if I've heard this song before :bomb: Quite lovely, I totally love her voice!

16. :dance: I liked this track a lot! Great way to end the mix (: (:

Finally ready to review!

First off, thanks so much, Mixtape Maker! :nice: I didn't really know any of these songs and found quite a few I really like, and some artists I'd like to hear more from! :dance:

1. Starts with a really nice piano intro.. sounds vaguely familiar, but I'm pretty sure I haven't heard it before. "Come on, come on, put your hands into the fire..." nice vocals, and nice instrumentation. Like!

2. I wasn't sure I liked the singer's voice at first, but on second listen, I do! :) Good beat, nice instrumentation, lovely acapella section at the end. Really liked this one.

3. Acoustic intro. I wrote "like" or "really like" about 4 times in my note for this song! :P Really liked the strings at the end.

4. "Don't know why I'm still afraid; if you weren't real, I'd make you up..." really liked that lyric. :) Another good one!

5. Harmonica intro, upbeat with great harmonies, and a bit of an echo-y sound. Love this one! I feel like I should know who this is, but I don't! This one's probably my favorite of the bunch! :nice:

6. Really pretty intro, nice vocals. slow tempo for most of the song, then picks up mid-way thru. Nice lyrics, too!

7. I don't know/have this song, but it's Farewell to the Fairground by White Lies. I have one other White Lies song, which I really like, and I've checked out the album a couple of times, so I'm kinda familiar with their song titles :P I liked this one... will probably have to get the whole album!

8. Upbeat, sounds kinda familiar. "show me something good..." Good song, but didn't grab me right away.

9. Metric? It really sounds like Emily Haines. Is this the song from the Eclipse soundtrack? Slower tempo, really like it!

10. Like this one, too! nice instrumentation; like the vocals alot

11. The vocals on this one sound very familiar... is it Empire of the Sun? Like it!

12. Hmmm... definitely darker sounding than the previous songs. Love the vocals; is it the Editors? I'm just starting to listen to their stuff, and it sounds like it could be them. "You are what you eat..."

13. This one is OK... nothing really stands out to me about it, but it's pleasant.

14. Another familiar sounding track. Nice piano/atmospheric intro; picks up temp mid-way

15. "It's not heaven without you..." the voice on this is sooo familiar. Like it! Curious as to who it is!

All in all, a really nice mix! Thanks for taking the time to make it! Can't wait to hear what everything is! :nice:

And I'm glad you liked it, I was afraid you knew the songs or just did not find coherent at all, specially because I was totally unaware of your tastes.

That was ultra coherent, I loved it, and that was exactly the kind of music I was feeling like listening to, so it was more than perfect. Plus I don't listen to any of these bands usually (though I know the name most of them) so now I'll start to look for more stuff from them. Thanks a lot. Feel free to send me the 2 other songs you wanted to add ;)

And here is my lastfm is you want to have an idea of what I usually listen to (although it's a bit late ahah)

First of all I wanna thank mystery person for making it for me and taking the time to provide me with

another link for track #9 cos I couldn't download it. Sorry for being a pain! Thanks a lot :nice:

This will probably be a very lame review, but it's my first time.

Track 1 = I liked it. Errr.. I'm guessing Jonsi? I don't know, good track to start a mixtape.

Track 2 = Ahh, this one has a very nice tune. I hate it when I recognize voices but can't put a name to them. Anyway, made me relax.

Track 3 = Another track I recognize but I can't remember who's that. It's very catchy and nice. I like it.

Track 4 = I love it tbh. It's very good. It's not a long track, it flows well, the voice is nice and again, I fucking recognize the voice but can't come up with names ¬¬

Track 5 = Two door cinema club? I've heard it before. I'm not sure about this one. The beginning is nice, but the chorus is a bit meh to me. Sorry D:

Track 6 = Ok this track sounded nice til it reached the middle part, then it gets meh D:

Track 7 = Errr.. I don't like it. The screaming is annoying >.< The beat is nice tho.

Track 8 = Tame Impala? I feel like I should listen to it a few more times, it's nice but I couldn't really feel excited or anything.

Track 9 = This track is weird, funny weird. The little sounds and the drumming are nice <3 The voice is sweet and the string part is.. sorry I lol'd a bit.

Track 10 = I've heard this before too. Is it Beach House? It's simple, but so good. Relaxing, the voices sound perfect and it's just a perfect chill track.

Track 11 = Haha, ok, big mistake here cos you didn't delete the lyrics. I was listening to the whole mixtape on my ipod and the lyrics appeared. I knew immediately it's The National, that voice is.. <3 arrrr, the piano and the drums sound so good together, I dunno, it's just LOVELY, lovely song, I never heard it before, but this is probably my favorite track.

Tracl 12 = Another chill track. The beginning is amazing, guitar sounds perfect and the following part kicks in perfectly. I like it a lot. Again, I know what is this but can't tell T___T I love the bassline.

Track 13 = Stars! <3 Dead Hearts is so sweet, calm, and the chorus is so dreamy. Thanks a lot for putting this.

Track 14 = This song is sexy. The singers voice is very pleasing. Love the clapping <3 Such a simple track, but the piano and the bassline sound lovely. Strings at the ending only intensify it <3

Track 15 = Ok, final track, I totally didn't expect THIS. Such a good song by Los Campesinos! hehe <3 I have nothing to say here really, just an amazing track to end the mixtape, quiet but getting stronger til the end. "A thousand years in perfect symmetry" <3333

Overall, I'd give it 8/10, flows very well, and this person didn't try to impress me by putting stuff I love. Thanks for showing me new tracks and putting very few songs I know and love and making it less than 60 minutes long =D

OH BTW, I totally suspect this mixtape was made by a girl.

Hey Alexa, I made your mixtape, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

1. Animal Arithmetic - Jonsi: Yeah, he has a pretty recognisable voice/style. Thought it would be a nice way to open.

2. Ambling Alp - Yeasayer: You probably had definitely heard this song before so no wonder it was familiar.

3. Art House Director - Broken Social Scene: One of my favourite songs on the album. At one stage it was going to be "chase scene" but I changed my mind.

4. Miami - Foals: If you liked this song you should definitely check out some more of their stuff. Some of the best music made this year.

5. Come Back Home - Two Door Cinema Club: Yep you picked it. It was hard to pick as song from them that would fit on the tape.

6. Clarion Call - Delphic: Seems like I'm the 10th person to put this on their tape.

7. Baptism - Crystal Castles: I suspected that you wouldn't like this song but I thought I might as well shove it in to change the pace a bit. I agree, the beat is nice.

8. Alter Ego - Tame Impala: It was hard to pick I song off their album as well as their songs flow better on the album then they do on a mixtape.

9. Mignight Detectives - Owen Pallett: I know what you mean by funny weird.

10. Lover of Mine - Beach House: Right again. This is my favourite track from the new album.

11. Blood Buzz Ohio - The National: Sorry about the lyrics. I completely forgot about them altogether. I glad you hadn't heard it and I'm glad you liked it.

12. The Mall And Misery - Broken Bells: This is another artist I would highly recommmend you check out if you haven't done so already. There is so much variety on the album its definitely worth listening to.

13. Dead Hearts - Stars: This was the only song on the tape that I knew that you had actually heard of, the rest was completely blind. I thought you would enjoy it towards the end of the tape.

14. Paradise Circus - Massive Attack: I think I remember you mentioning once that you like these guys. It was between this track and something by UNKLE's new album but I chose this instead.

15. The Sea Is A Good Place To Think Of The Future - Los Campesinos!: I had no idea you liked these guys either. I took me a while to get into this album but this is my favourite song on there. Thought it would be a great way to end.

Hey, thanks for listening to the tape with an open mind and for the great review. You did really well for the first time. The only thing I would like to know is, what made you suspect this tape was made by a girl. I'm interested.

EDIT: Here is a link if anyone else wants a listen. http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f409f456de5b12acb808d4260196a6f65be51ebffef818ba198320f8fc7ef5522fbc0790c3d2f5ab018e3e52560e2feb

That was ultra coherent, I loved it, and that was exactly the kind of music I was feeling like listening to, so it was more than perfect. Plus I don't listen to any of these bands usually (though I know the name most of them) so now I'll start to look for more stuff from them. Thanks a lot. Feel free to send me the 2 other songs you wanted to add ;)

And here is my lastfm is you want to have an idea of what I usually listen to (although it's a bit late ahah)

Well, but the charm was to include them in the mixtape with the rest.