✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 6th Mixtape Exchange (closed for entries)

Black Rose

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, does someone (please, anyone at this point) mind reviewing my mix? :embarrassed:

The download link is on the last page of the thread.

Pleaseeeee, anyone. :\

Downloaded. Jeez that was hard work, first McAfee flagged it up as an unsafe d/load then I had to reinstall winzip. Anyway, listening now.....but I'm also painting the living room at the same time, so don't expect an in-depth, profound review ;)

I have no idea of track order, I've just set it playing :\

1 - ????

Nice, harmless track, the guy's voice borders on slightly annoying but it's ok, nothing special.

2 - Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis

Nice choice for an Oasis track, tho there's probably better ones to pick. I love the guitars in this song, I haven't actually listened to this track for quite a while so nice to hear it again. I probably played it to death in the 90s :)

3 - ????

Strong beginning, fast tempo drumming. Unusual vocal, almost Placebo like. Good, funky guitars. Gets pretty rocky. I rather like this one. Oooh wht a shame, the end's a bit annoying "over and over and over and over..." :lol:

4 - ????

Starts with whistling(?) Nice mellow vocal, I don't think it's English. Not sure what language it is tbh. It's good tho. I like the backing vocal.

5 - ????

Singer sounds familiar, but I don't recognise the song. I like it tho, nice strings.

Ooooo the fella's voice is bugging me......Got it! sounds like the singer from The Enemy...have no idea if it is or not tho. It's a good track.

6 - ????

Ooooh now this one sounds like the singer from The Fray. Tho the song sounds nothing like anything off their first album, which was rather dull. Pretty rocky track, plunky plunk piano, groovy guitars. Quite like this, nice and upbeat.

7 - Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Slow start, something about St Petersburg in the lyrics. Another vocal that sounds familar......aaaaah Red Hot Chilli Peppers....? Stadium Arcadium, is it? I have an album with this on it, but haven't played it in ages. This is good, but kinda mellow for RHCP. Like the backing vocals and the way it builds and fades.

8 - ????

Really rocky start. Thumping drums and bass. Dunno why, but it sounds American to me. Quite shouty. Not bad.

9 - ????

Interesting intro. This has an Oasis-feel about it, it's not them tho. Nice guitars, upbeat drumming. Rather unchallenging lyrics tho, but I like it. "I will live for you"

10 - ????

Woah, I like the beginning to this, really rocky guitars. Sounds bit like Foo Fighters, has that sexy Dave Grohl type vocal about it. I like it.

11 - ???? (Muse?)

Is this Muse? I don't know the song at all, it's just the vocal sounds like Matt Bellamy. I'm not a bit fan of his voice at all, I think Muse would be pretty good without it, so listening to this track and ignoring the vocal, I think the track's fairly good. Solid and rocky, not bad.

12 - ?????

"All that I'm hearing from you..is white noise, white noise" Hmmmmm sounds a bit old skool, dodgy 80's rock, like it belongs on a movie soundtrack... of a really bad movie. It's not bad as such, I like the drums, but it's not great either. Plus it's dragging on a bit....

13 - ????

Oooo change of pace now, with a nice laidback piano. Quite mellow...ok, now the track's picked up a bit and has gone all rocky. Nice load of instrumentation in this trac; piano, guitars, organ, strings. Not bad, sounds a bit too One Republic-ey for me to get too excited by it tho.

14 - ????

Spoken intro, they're saying something about Jack (?), then the vocal kicks in very mellow, ok now I get the significance of the folder name :lol: Nice lyrics, bit emo, but nice. And again, it's picked up a bit, squealy guitars now, thumping drums. That vocal's a bit grating. It's an ok track, not bad.

So, all-in-all, a good little mixtape. Good job :thumbsup:

EDIT: Shit, looks like I had media player on shuffle when I was playing that so that's why the order is all messed up, sorry. Hopefully, I've described the songs well enough for you to figure them out :\

Yeah, the order is all messed. If you like the mix tape enough, then I suggest you listen to it in order. I'll post the order of the tracks at the end of this post.

1- "Dead American Writers - Tired Pony"

A very recent track by a side-project formed by Snow Patrol's singer, Gary Lightbody. The chorus is just so addictive to me, probably because I like falsetto-ey songs, as I can sing them all very well. (: I'm not sure why, but I just love singing in falsetto and hitting those high notes.

2- "Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis"

Really, this has got to be my favourite Oasis track (there were 3 main choices for the mix - The Importance of Being Idel, Falling Down, and this). I've already overplayed this track to death like you, but I am still not over it yet. I just think this song just doesn't get the reputation or popularity that it deserves, so I put it on the mix.

3- "Well Thought Out Twinkles - Silversun Pickups"

Because of this song, Silversun Pickups became one of my favourite bands. Just a basic rock track, and it's just like all the other Silversun Pickups tracks. However, every SP track has its certain kick, and I just liked this one. By the way, the on and on and on and on is typical of SP. :P

4- "Dom andra - Kent"

Yep, this song is definitely not in English; it's in Swedish. For some strange reason, I have just fallen in love with this song. I don't even know why.

5- "Last Goodbye - The Enemy"

It's definitely The Enemy. Clarke's voice in this song is weird for me, but it's still an awesome song.

6- "Little House - The Fray"

You're right again, it's The Fray. Little House, contrary to what you said, is on their first album. As soon as I first heard this song, I thought it was amazing, how powerful both the guitar and the piano are in the song. Lyrics are kind of emo, however.

7- "Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers"

I like this song because it's not like most RHCP songs; it's downbeat and it doesn't have a climax. I like the lyrics for some reason, also.

8- "Bleed American / Salt, Sweat, Sugar - Jimmy Eat World"

Wow, what a coincidence o-o. The track is literally called Bleed American (Salt, Sweat, Sugar is its alternative title. The name was changed after the 9/11 attacks that occurred very soon after the album came out). I really like the guitars and the rhythm on this track.

9- "Declaration of Dependance - Starfield"

The first on this mix. I think it has an excellent intro, and the rest of the tune is pretty nice as well.

10- "Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters"

For me, this song is very underrated. And just like Don't Look Back In Anger, I decided to put it on the mix for that reason. It's a really nice track, and the bridge part is pretty damn amazing in my opinion.

11- "Glorious (Guiding Light Remix) - Muse"

This remix (if you can even call it that, haha) was made by me some time ago, when I thought the Guiding Light rocket intro would lead great into Glorious (any Muse fan would know what I'm talking about). Glorious was one of those tracks that just kept growing on me. At first I thought it was garbage, but after 10 listens or so I realized it was a masterpiece.

12- "White Noise - The Living End"

An Australian band. I don't see the 80's rock influences, and it's a 2009 track. I like this track because it sounds like The Importance of Being Idel. That's enough for me to love it. I agree it does get kind of repetitive.

13- "Boston - Augustana"

By far, the poppiest mainstream rock track in the mix. I can really relate to this track right now, and it felt good with the flow of the mix (you really should listen to the mix in its original order). Not much to say about it; it's a generally good track. Reminds me of The Fray, too.

14- "Life - Our Lady Peace"

Weird, this track was actually meant to be the ending track. o-o Anyways, I fully agree, it is very very emo. I hate the vocals, but I just can't resist how meaningful the song is (spoiler alert - it's about how unfair life is). It has a nice outro as well. I like final tracks to be upbeat and gives that last and final energy boost before fading away.

Thank you sooo much for reviewing my mix! I was almost about to give up all hope in ever getting a mix, haha. It seems that we has similar music tastes, as you could guess a lot of the tracks/artists. Good job!

Weird you put ???'s. I have all the track names labeled, but the artists hidden... Whatever. (<-awesome Oasis track, btw. :D)

Alright, here's the actual track listing (again, give it a listen in order, I spent some time on the flow of the songs):

1. Declaration of Dependance - Starfield

2. Salt, Sweat, Sugar - Jimmy Eat World

3. Well Thought Out Twinkles - Silversun Pickups

4. Dead American Writers - Tired Pony

5. Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis

6. Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers

7. White Noise - The Living End

8. Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters

9. Glorious (Guiding Light Remix) - Muse

10. Boston - Augustana

11. Last Goodbye - The Enemy

12. Dom andra (The Others) - Kent

13. Little House - The Fray

14. Life - Our Lady Peace

Oh I only put ???? where I didn't guess the track/artist. I listened to it without peeking at the track titles cos I didn't want to get spoilered.

Ooooooh Kent, huh? I gave them a listen some time ago, but obviously didn't get hooked at the time, perhaps I should go back and listen again.

haha @The Fray, I must admit to not listening to their first album much after I bought it :\ It just goes to show how many albums I have that I never listen to :shame:

Funny that you describe Don't Look Back as lacking in popularity, over here it definately (maybe) isn't underrated at all, especially at the time. It was everywhere :lol: A good choice tho.

Anyway, was glad to help out, it's rough when your mix doesn't get reviewed. And apologies again for fucking up the order :embarrassed:

You'll know what I mean if you come visit Canada. There's noone. I repeat, noone, who knows Oasis (or any decent British bands to be honest), let alone Don't Look Back In Anger. Everyone's too caught up in stupid rap and pop.

Kent is a band I listen to because of my girlfriend. I wouldn't have known about them if she didn't tell me about them. I really recommend you check out their album "Vapen och ammunition". It's my favourite by them.

I didn't participate in this exchange, but I would like to discover some new music - so I would like to download a tape and review it.

Anyone made a Britpop-like tape and didn't get a review yet? I would love to listen to it!

I didn't participate in this exchange, but I would like to discover some new music - so I would like to download a tape and review it.

Anyone made a Britpop-like tape and didn't get a review yet? I would love to listen to it!

You can take a look at my mix (track listing in my last post; download link on last page).

It's mainly alternative rock.

. I really recommend you check out their album "Vapen och ammunition". It's my favourite by them.

Will do. Ta. :thumbsup:

Well, mine got reviewed but it's about 75% British and very Brit-pop inspired. You're welcome to have a listen :D

Mixtape

Have a lookie at the reference thread :)

I'm nearly there with it

• 3 weeks later...