✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 6th Mixtape Exchange (closed for entries)

Black Rose

Okay, here's my review! Sorry for being so late.

Track 1: Fantastic song! I loved the instrumentals, I loved the vocals, I loved the lyrics! It was just a beautiful song. :wacky:

Track 2: I loved this song too! "I don't want to die in the same hole I was born" :dance: So catchy! And the piano in the background towards the end of the song was awesome. I would definitely check out some more music by this band.

Track 3: This song was gorgeous...the lyrics were beautiful. I loved the cello or bass or whatever that was (I couldn't quite figure out which it was :P)! Oh and the horn was just amazing :heart:

Track 4: Nice opening. Cool piano and guitar. I liked the vocalist...and the lyrics. And just everything! Fantastic track.

Track 5: This song sounded really familiar...maybe I've heard it on a tv show? It sounds like something that would be played on Gossip Girl. :awesome: Anyways, I loved it!

Track 6: This song was cool. I liked how the vocals sounded distant, and the guitar was great.

Track 7: Yay! Another catchy opening! Fantastic instrumentals...the guitar was amazing.

Track 8: The strings at the beginning were amazing!! I'm starting to think that whoever made my mixed tape knows that I have a weakness for songs with an orchestra, or at least strings or piano or something. The vocals were excellent too. I loved this one.

Track 9: The instrumental at the beginning of this one reminded me of Muse. This wasn't my favourite song, but I liked it.

Track 10: Ahhh I just loved the lyrics! "I caught the sun on my way home...." So great. And the vocalist was amazing...love the accent. :sneaky: I would definitely listen to more from this band.

Track 11: Lovely song...the lyrics were beautiful. :wacky: It's really bothering me because I cheated and typed the lyrics into Google...but nothing comes up! WHO SINGS THIS!!!???

Track 12: The laughing creeped me out at the beginning, I must say! :P But it was a cool song.

Track 13: I really enjoyed this one. It was a great song in general...I don't really know what else to say!

Track 14: Yet another great song! I had a hard time figuring out the "it will change" part because I didn't know what they were saying the first time. But it was good.

Track 15: Nice song, I really enjoyed it!

Track 16: Cool opening. Great lyrics and melody.

Track 17: Awesome guitar, and all the instrumentals as well. The vocalist was excellent, and so were the lyrics. It was a nice closer to the mixtape!

Ok, so this mixtape was absolutely amazing! I don't think I've heard any of the artists before, and if I have they are still new enough that I haven't heard much. I'm really excited to get the tracklisting so I can check out more from these bands! Every song on the tape was something that I would listen to again...there was nothing I didn't like! Overall I really enjoyed this mixtape, so thank you so much to whoever made it! Brilliant.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Review of Twisted mind's Mixtape:

Track 01 – I’ve been trying to find a word to describe this sort of song for ages... “atmospheric” springs to mind but I’m not sure that makes sense :P

Anyway, this song is very gentle and calming, a very pretty song with a great chorus that sounds full of emotion. “Jesus Christ on fire”... interesting lyrics :thinking: A very nice song, I loved the chorus.

Track 02 – Maracas, base, guitar: good start to the song! Male singer, with a nice voice. Lots of background noises, again a song that I would probably describe as “atmospheric” :P

Track 03 – The vocalist has some kind of accent that sounds familiar in this one. A great pop song with pretty lyrics about dancing; lots of piano, guitar and good drumming. I like :lol:

Track 04 – Starts of with some interesting sounds – it sounds like someone’s playing with the song on a DJ turntable, scratching it and rewinding it and such. This kinda becomes just a part of the song, it fits really well. A male and female duet, both with nice voices. Some cool-sounding synths in the middle. And a trumpet! :lol: Kinda seems out of place, but also kinda fits :P I quite like this one a lot!

Track 05 – U2! You accidentally left the artist information on this one, but either way it’s unmistakeably Bono’s voice. I don’t actually know this U2 song but it’s very interesting, with tribal/war drums, and... trumpets again? Some kind of similar instrument. This song is really cool, I love how I’ve never really heard anything like it before! :lol: In the middle there are sounds like a radio being adjusted, towards the end there’s a trombone or something and the song sounds like pure chaos, but in a good way.

Track 06 – Starts off with some very nice piano chords, and suddenly a very strong voice starts singing... in German? Russian? I’m not sure :shame: haha. It sounds a little cheesy in the verse but then there’s a surprisingly epic chorus complete with piano, strings and drums. For a song I can’t understand, I really like it :wacky: especially the part at the end with the chorus singing along.

Track 07 – Some more interesting sounds at the start of this one. Some I can’t describe, then there’s the synths and then strings! I love strings. The instrumentals in this song are quite long, but I really liked them! The singer has a nice voice but sings with a really strong Australian accent, which I don’t like so much. But the awesome instrumentals made it all better :lol:

Track 08 – A female vocalist this time. Again, singing in another language (the same one? I can’t tell :disappointed: More strings and synths, which is great because I love both of those things! Then the base starts, with the vocalist singing and wailing in the background. The song builds up to an awesome ending, it sounds quite dramatic. Then it trails off quietly and gently.

Track 09 – Really deep bass in this one. It sounds somewhat familiar, but I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard the song before. I loved the second half of this song, one of my favourites on the mix :D

Track 10 – A song by Chicane, off the album Somersault! No, I don’t actually know it, you just left the album art on this one :P This was another of my favourites, a really nice song. Great vocals, great melody.

Track 11 – Starts of with nice guitar and piano – good so far! I like this singer’s voice, and there are some really nice lyrics. For some reason the second half/ending of this song is extremely familiar. I’m absolutely certain I’ve heard the section from 3:54 – 4:30, but I don’t know the rest of the song. Weird.

Track 12 – This song was probably my least favourite on the mix. It was still good, it had some nice melodies and some great sounds in it! It was just a little long, I think I’d have to be in the right mood when listening to it to really enjoy it. There were guitars, some type of wind instrument, strings.

Track 13 – It was almost a relief to hear vocals again! Some really sad, but really nice piano at the start, which was maintained throughout the song. The singer sounded terribly sad. But it was a beautiful song nonetheless, and a great way to finish off the mixtape.

I know this mixtape wasn't designed for me but I really liked it! The songs each had something in them that made them different to the rest (if you know what I mean), but they also flowed really well. A loved how a lot of the songs had piano, synths and/or strings, as I love those in songs.

Great job, really looking forward to the tracklisting now :awesome:

:thumbsup:

Thank you for the review, I'm very happy you liked it and didn't know all the songs! :wacko:

1. King Christian 2 - Mew (I know right, this version is so much better than the original)

2. Mouthful of wasps - Kashmir

3. The ghost inside - Broken Bells (you actually "introduced" me to this band, thank you! :wacky:)

4. Buttons - Sia

5. I saw the dead - Villagers

7. Lemonade - CocoRosie

8. Wherefore are you not there - Mew

9. Encyclopedia - Wintersleep

10. Tranquilizer - Geneva :mellow:

11. I'm not down - the Clash :mellow:

12. Tightrope hill - Fictionist

13. Splittet til atomer - Kashmir (in Danish)

14. Hero - Regina Spektor

15. Mannen i den vita hatten - Kent (Not Scottish, he's singing in Swedish! :wacko:)

...Oh and what artwork? I deleted it :thinking: OH NO DON'T TELL ME THAT iTUNES ADDED THE ARTWORK FROM LAST TIME :freak::facepalm:

I know how you all feel. My mixtape maker got mine to me a week late, and now they're nowhere to be found. :confused:

It's very frustrating! So I have no idea what the tracklisting is.

I wish that people who are too busy/can't be bothered/forget to post don't join the Mixtape Exchange. It doesn't make it fair for those who actually make an effort.

:whip: to them!! :whip: It's all very disappointing.

Thank you for the review, I'm very happy you liked it and didn't know all the songs! :wacko:

1. King Christian 2 - Mew (I know right, this version is so much better than the original)

2. Mouthful of wasps - Kashmir

3. The ghost inside - Broken Bells (you actually "introduced" me to this band, thank you! :wacky:)

4. Buttons - Sia

5. I saw the dead - Villagers

7. Lemonade - CocoRosie

8. Wherefore are you not there - Mew

9. Encyclopedia - Wintersleep

10. Tranquilizer - Geneva :mellow:

11. I'm not down - the Clash :mellow:

12. Tightrope hill - Fictionist

13. Splittet til atomer - Kashmir (in Danish)

14. Hero - Regina Spektor

15. Mannen i den vita hatten - Kent (Not Scottish, he's singing in Swedish! :wacko:)

...Oh and what artwork? I deleted it :thinking: OH NO DON'T TELL ME THAT iTUNES ADDED THE ARTWORK FROM LAST TIME :freak::facepalm:

3. Oh, you downloaded one of those mixtapes I made? :wacko: You're welcome :cheesy:

7. I figured out who this was after I'd written the review. I definitely want to hear more CocoRosie :wacky:

15. LOL my ears must be fucked up then. I thought he was singing in English :lol: Must not've been paying attention.

Well, this is the artwork that was on there :P

Capture.jpg

Okay, here my review! Sorry for being so late.

Ok, so this mixtape was absolutely amazing! I don't think I've heard any of the artists before, and if I have they are still new enough that I haven't heard much. I'm really excited to get the tracklisting so I can check out more from these bands! Every song on the tape was something that I would listen to again...there was nothing I didn't like! Overall I really enjoyed this mixtape, so thank you so much to whoever made it! Brilliant.

I'll forgive the lateness of the review, cos you said such nice things :D Wow, I'm so glad you liked it so much. I didn't really tailor specially for you, seeing as I couldn't find much about your music tastes, so I really went for a general, upbeat feel-good tape.

oh and hi, by the way, I'm Paula :D

Track 1: Fantastic song! I loved the instrumentals, I loved the vocals, I loved the lyrics! It was just a beautiful song. :wacky:

Glad you liked this one, I thought it made a good opener. Their whole album is beautiful (Sugar and Spite) & horribly under-rated. I love the banjo in this.

1 -Put A Record On - Unkle Bob - 2006

-----

Track 2: I loved this song too! "I don't want to die in the same hole I was born" :dance: So catchy! And the piano in the background towards the end of the song was awesome. I would definitely check out some more music by this band.

I love the lyrics in this song. They're a bit hit and miss with their songs this band, they're an assortment of musicians collected together by The Reverend, aka Jon McClure who used to be in a band with Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys. This is far and away the best song on their latest album. They are still worth a listen tho, I'd also recommend Heavyweight Champion of the World off their first album.

2 - No Soap (In A Dirty War) - Reverend & The Makers - 2009

-----

Track 3: This song was gorgeous...the lyrics were beautiful. I loved the cello or bass or whatever that was (I couldn't quite figure out which it was :P)! Oh and the horn was just amazing :heart:

Beautiful, isn't it? Looks like I'm the third person that used this song in their mixtape this time :D so it was obviously a popular choice

3 -Same Deep Water - I Am Kloot - 2004

-----

Track 4: Nice opening. Cool piano and guitar. I liked the vocalist...and the lyrics. And just everything! Fantastic track.

It's so upbeat this song. I'd wholeheartedly recommend this album to everyone. He's the lead singer of the Guillemots & released a solo album last year. I randomly picked it up at the library a few months back and have been hooked ever since.

4 - You Walk In The Room - Fyfe Dangerfield - 2009

-----

Track 5: This song sounded really familiar...maybe I've heard it on a tv show? It sounds like something that would be played on Gossip Girl. :awesome: Anyways, I loved it!

I wouldn't be surprised if you've heard this before, I've heard it used in loads of internet promo stuff, even stuff for other bands. I think it was used for a lot of the tv stuff for one of the recent, big festivals here. Damn catchy song. I had a really hard time picking the right songs to use of their album tho they was a few others I wanted to use too.

5 -I Don't Bite - We Are Scientists - 2010

-----

Track 6: This song was cool. I liked how the vocals sounded distant, and the guitar was great.

Ahhh, The Coral. My current fave band :D They don't get half as much love as they should get, imo. This is off their latest album, Butterfly House (which is beautiful btw) and sounds straight out of the 60's. The harmonies are gorgeous. You're lucky I made the mix a week or two before Butterfly House came out or I'd have put the whole album on here :lol:

6 - 1000 years - The Coral - 2010

-----

Track 7: Yay! Another catchy opening! Fantastic instrumentals...the guitar was amazing.

Australian band, really psychedelic and again, 60's sounding. Their debut album, Innerspeaker is great but their s'titled ep is loads better.

7 - Half Full Glass OF Wine - Tame Impala - 2008

-----

Track 8: The strings at the beginning were amazing!! I'm starting to think that whoever made my mixed tape knows that I have a weakness for songs with an orchestra, or at least strings or piano or something. The vocals were excellent too. I loved this one.

Beautiful song. I don't know much about this guy, and haven't played this album much, but this song has been all over the radio here. Thought this made a pleasant change; strings in amoungst all the rock :D

8 - Embers - Just Jack - 2009

-----

Track 9: The instrumental at the beginning of this one reminded me of Muse. This wasn't my favourite song, but I liked it.

A really new, Leicester band. This song features vocals from Tom Meighan of Kasabian, if you've heard of them. I stopped short of putting a Kasabian song on here cos I used their songs of both the two previous mixtapes I did, so I used this one, cos I love his voice so damn much :lol:

9 - Ghosts on Crusade - The Lysergic Suite - 2010

-----

Track 10: Ahhh I just loved the lyrics! "I caught the son on my way home...." So great. And the vocalist was amazing...love the accent. :sneaky: I would definitely listen to more from this band.

I caught the sun... ;) Great song. I actually saw these guys live last night, and they were bloody brilliant. That guy's voice...wow! You should definately definately check them out. The album Beachcomber's Windowsill is gorgeous. Check out their other single too, Zorbing, fantastic song :D

10 -I Saw You Blink - Stornoway - 2010

-----

Track 11: Lovely song...the lyrics were beautiful. :wacky: It's really bothering me because I cheated and typed the lyrics into Google...but nothing comes up! WHO SINGS THIS!!!???

haha it doesn't surprise me you could find any info about this song. I only heard of it cos it was co-written with James Skelly, lead singer of The Coral (they're cousins) Apparently Neville Skelly been around for a while doing jazz type stuff but now he's ventured into more acoustic/alternative/almost-country stuff. This was a last minute addition to the tape, to give a change of pace and cos this song is just sublime. I worried you might be bored by it to be honest, so I'm glad you liked it.

11 - Will She Hold Another - Neville Skelly - 2010

-----

Track 12: The laughing creeped me out at the beginning, I must say! :P But it was a cool song.

Great beginning to this song :D An old skool Britpop band of the 90's, who are back with a new album.

12 - Modern Blues - Kula Shaker - 2010

-----

Track 13: I really enjoyed this one. It was a great song in general...I don't really know what else to say!

Ooooh another one, I thought you might not like (I was worried it would sound too old, too dated). Really glad you did. I wanted to have some Lemonheads on my mix and when I checked your profile and saw your age, I knew I had to have this one. This came out the year you were born (and I remember it well, god, I feel so old now :lol: ) Just a little musical history education there for ya ;)

13 - It's A Shame About Ray - The Lemonheads - 1992

-----

Track 14: Yet another great song! I had a hard time figuring out the "it will change" part because I didn't know what they were saying the first time. But it was good.

I love that bit. "This will change, it will change, it will change..." gorgeous. Another great recent album, I'm just discovering this band's material, but they're such a good chillout band :)

14 - Will Power - Turin Brakes - 2010

-----

Track 15: Nice song, I really enjoyed it!

Ah, what can I saw about this band. I bloody love 'em. Gonna see them live again next w/end :dance:

15 - Hope Hung High - Goldheart Assembly - 2010

-----

Track 16: Cool opening. Great lyrics and melody.

A new band for me, still discovering their stuff. Bloody good album tho, I still need to check out their previous stuff

16 - Compliments - Band of Horses - 2010

-----

Track 17: Awesome guitar, and all the instrumentals as well. The vocalist was excellent, and so were the lyrics. It was a nice closer to the mixtape!

More Coral...sorry. I just had to sign off with this one tho. Goodbye, don't say goodbye... ;) I love the countdown in it and the guitar makes this song imo

17 - Goodbye - The Coral - 2002

-----

Phew! Here's the complete tracklist

1 - Put A Record On - Unkle Bob - 2006

3 - Same Deep Water - I Am Kloot - 2004

5 - I Don't Bite - We Are Scientists - 2010

7 - Half Full Glass Of Wine - Tame Impala - 2008

10 - I Saw You Blink - Stornoway - 2010

and the d/load link should anyone else want it :D

----

Phew! Here's the complete tracklist

1 - Put A Record On - Unkle Bob - 2006

3 - Same Deep Water - I Am Kloot - 2004

5 - I Don't Bite - We Are Scientists - 2010

7 - Half Full Glass Of Wine - Tame Impala - 2008

10 - I Saw You Blink - Stornoway - 2010

and the d/load link should anyone else want it :D

This has Turin Brakes in, Imma right on this d/l! :D

overall i really liked this mixtape i'm really looking forward to seeing who the artist's are, i don't expect to know any of them though. i'd give this tape 8/10

What a relief! Thank you. Here's your tracklist. Some of these artists are very popular, but still they could do with a bunch of new fans...

01 - Two Door Cinema Club - What You Know

Saw them live two days in a row and absolutely had to buy their album afterwards. Great live and studio band!!!

02 - Mutemath - Chaos

Well, you seem more like an earthy guy to me, not so much esotheric, I was kind of expecting you to not like it. I LOVE this track though, because I mean chaos myself.

03 - Hurts – Better Than Love

I believe this is the most hyped new band from the UK at the moment. Very 80s, sound-wise and visually. Not so sure what to expect from their live shows. Will check them out in October.

04 - The Electric City – Rapture (no label)

This band split up, before they were signed. What a shame! I really loved their stuff. It's Andy and James Taylor, whose dads are in Duran Duran.

05 - Expatriate - Crazy

Glad that you like it! Fantastic band from Aussie land!

06 - Crowded House - Amsterdam

This track is not a cover version, but Neil Finn, the singer and main song-writer can write songs that you think you've heard before.

I filmed their performance of this song in the very city of Amsterdam and it turned out really nice. Take a look:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

07 - Muse - Can't Take My Eyes Off You

Cover of the old Frankie Valli track.

08 - Benjamin Biolay - Padam

Demi God from la France. This man is SO COOL! I love everything he does.

The chorus translates "I'm waiting in vain for the world to applaud me, to declare me their love in a big orgy, padam padam padam padam pam pam."

Filmed him too!

[ame=

]
[/ame]

09 - Brett Anderson (Suede) - Love Is Dead

Cheesy is the right expression for it. I think you've got to be in the mood for it, but I really loved this song when he played it at the show I went to. The live version is a lot better!

10 - Daniel Cirera – Anarchy In The UK

I planned to use a Spanish Anarchy version first (since you seem to have a fixation on sombreros), but I couldn't find it, so I picked this most unlikely version of the great punk anthem. ;)

11 - Liam Finn - Second Chance

The lady you hear is Eliza Jane Barnes (daughter of Aussie singer Jimmy Barnes) and the guy is Liam Finn (son of Neil Finn, the singer of Crowded House). The recording was taken from their sensational performance on "Later with Jools Holland" (UK TV) which you should give a look.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

12 - Placebo - The Bitter End

Too bad you don't like it. Spend it in the mosh pit at one of their shows and you're gonna love it! Best track by Placebo ever!

13 - Tori Amos - A Sorta Fairytale

In my humble opinion, Tori Amos is the most interesting female artist around. This is one of her more poppier tunes.

14 - Panic! At The Disco – Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off

Enough said.

15 - John Frusciante – Going Inside

The guitarist of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and a song from one of his many sensational solo albums.

16 - Joyce Jonathan – Pas besoin de toi

French girl with a guitar, great songs and the most fantastic voice I've heard this year. Saw her open for Benjamin Biolay in Brussels. Quite a discovery! This girl is gonna go far!

17 - Ed Kowalczyk – Grace

It's Eddie K., the former lead singer of the US spiritual rockers LIVE, and this is his first solo single. He's very popular in the Netherlands, apart from that he's having a hard time, because all the US LIVE fans hate him for leaving the band. Idiots, if you ask me.

18 - Nationalgalerie - Tränen in mein Herz

I love this song for it's melancholy, great electric guitar harmonies and fantastic German lyrics which translate something like this:

Fire, water, wanderlust,

every now and then

Our lives run smoothly,

one-dimensionally.

There are things that will never meet,

A long wait, two train tracks and the autobahn.

Life is sometimes one-dimensional.

We know about possessions and loneliness

We know ourselves by heart

There are things that will never meet

Drive-in cinemas and rollercoasters,

And someone will be the last to know

that there are tears in my heart.

And here's the complete tracklist:

Two Door Cinema Club – What You Know (Tourist History)

Mute Math – Chaos (MuteMath)

Hurts – Better Than Love (Happiness – not yet released)

The Electric City – Rapture (no label)

Expatriate – Crazy (In The Midst Of This)

Crowded House – Amsterdam (Intriguer)

Muse – Can’t Take My Eyes Off You (La musique de Paris dernière)

Benjamin Biolay – Padam (La Superbe)

Brett Anderson – Love Is Dead (Brett Anderson)

Daniel Cirera – Anarchy In The UK (La musique de Paris dernière)

Liam Finn – Second Chance (I’ll Be Lightning)

Placebo – The Bitter End (Sleeping With Ghosts)

Tori Amos – A Sorta Fairytale (Scarlet’s Walk)

Panic! At The Disco – Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off (A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out)

John Frusciante – Going Inside (To Record Only Water For Ten Days)

Joyce Jonathan – Pas besoin de toi (Sur me gardes)

Ed Kowalczyk – Grace (Alive)

Nationalgalerie – Tränen in mein Herz (Meskalin)

Download with titles:

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/915751711/dc40d7a594c034d6193cbcc2a3e5b696

Download without titles:

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/915744357/e5225ff7a16767003753d1118f312e2a

13 - Tori Amos - A Sorta Fairytale

In my humble opinion, Tori Amos is the most interesting female artist around. This is one of her more poppier tunes.

Tori :awesome: The music video of this song is so strange but Adrian Brody makes up for it :rolleyes: I almost put 'virginia' in my mix!! Scarlett's walk is probably one of my fav album of her with Little earthquake.

^ADRIEN BRODY :drool:

We did like a picspam of him in the sexy dudes thread. :wacky:

:lol: Here is the music video (it's weird but this song is so beautiful!)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1A6T5qx1GE]YouTube- Tori Amos - A Sorta Fairytale[/ame]

I know this mixtape wasn't designed for me but I really liked it! The songs each had something in them that made them different to the rest (if you know what I mean), but they also flowed really well. A loved how a lot of the songs had piano, synths and/or strings, as I love those in songs.

Great job, really looking forward to the tracklisting now :awesome:

:thumbsup:

Hey thank you so much for the great review! I'm glad that finally someone said something to my mix! :P

ARGH and I like, tripple checked every song about the artist info and thought I had deleted everything :shame:

Review of Twisted mind's Mixtape:

Track 01 – I’ve been trying to find a word to describe this sort of song for ages... “atmospheric” springs to mind but I’m not sure that makes sense :P

Anyway, this song is very gentle and calming, a very pretty song with a great chorus that sounds full of emotion. “Jesus Christ on fire”... interesting lyrics :thinking: A very nice song, I loved the chorus.

Yeah the lyrics are a little bit weird! :lol: But I like this genre very much, it’s called Shoegazing/Indietronic.

Track 03 – The vocalist has some kind of accent that sounds familiar in this one. A great pop song with pretty lyrics about dancing; lots of piano, guitar and good drumming. I like :lol:

The singer is German so that’s why he has an accent :)

Track 05 – U2! You accidentally left the artist information on this one, but either way it’s unmistakeably Bono’s voice. I don’t actually know this U2 song but it’s very interesting, with tribal/war drums, and... trumpets again? Some kind of similar instrument. This song is really cool, I love how I’ve never really heard anything like it before! :lol: In the middle there are sounds like a radio being adjusted, towards the end there’s a trombone or something and the song sounds like pure chaos, but in a good way.

That song was on the soundtrack from the movie “In the name of the Father”. You should also watch the film, it’s pretty dramatic.

Track 06 – Starts off with some very nice piano chords, and suddenly a very strong voice starts singing... in German? Russian? I’m not sure :shame: haha. It sounds a little cheesy in the verse but then there’s a surprisingly epic chorus complete with piano, strings and drums. For a song I can’t understand, I really like it :wacky: especially the part at the end with the chorus singing along.

A German song! And you’re right, it sounds REALLY cheesy :lol:, but I think it during the end of the song it really fits, that’s why I picked it.

Track 07 – Some more interesting sounds at the start of this one. Some I can’t describe, then there’s the synths and then strings! I love strings. The instrumentals in this song are quite long, but I really liked them! The singer has a nice voice but sings with a really strong Australian accent, which I don’t like so much. But the awesome instrumentals made it all better :lol:
Oh I thought because you are from Australia you might like this...anyway, I found that song on tv during a commercial and thought it was pretty cool, haha

Track 08 – A female vocalist this time. Again, singing in another language (the same one? I can’t tell :disappointed: More strings and synths, which is great because I love both of those things! Then the base starts, with the vocalist singing and wailing in the background. The song builds up to an awesome ending, it sounds quite dramatic. Then it trails off quietly and gently.
As far as I know this song is Japanese :D Great that you like that song.

Track 09 – Really deep bass in this one. It sounds somewhat familiar, but I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard the song before. I loved the second half of this song, one of my favourites on the mix :D

Whoop! That song was remixed by an Artist called Trifonic. There’s a myspace page somewhere where you can listen to a few of his other songs.

Track 11 – Starts of with nice guitar and piano – good so far! I like this singer’s voice, and there are some really nice lyrics. For some reason the second half/ending of this song is extremely familiar. I’m absolutely certain I’ve heard the section from 3:54 – 4:30, but I don’t know the rest of the song. Weird.

Zemy once remixed the last half of the song with a Coldplay song and uploaded it in the Multimedia section. Maybe that’s why you know this song? :D

Track 12 – This song was probably my least favourite on the mix. It was still good, it had some nice melodies and some great sounds in it! It was just a little long, I think I’d have to be in the right mood when listening to it to really enjoy it. There were guitars, some type of wind instrument, strings.
I was also sceptical whether to put it on the mix or not because only a few people like purely instrumental songs. Oh well.

So first, here's the tracklist:

01 Ulrich Schnauss - Shine

02 Mark Gardener - The Story of the Eye

03 Prisca Jones - Songs & Symphonies

04 The Egg - Walking Away

05 Bono & Gavin Friday - In The Name Of The Father

06 Unheilig - Geboren um zu leben

07 Felix Tod and Davis Ayers - Something Is Wrong

08 Kokia - Karma

09 Landlocked (Trifonic Remix) - Dakotafish

10 Chicane - Far Away From You

11 Mat Kearney - City Of Black And White

12 Matt Uelmen - Tristram

13 Barcelona - Please don't go

^^That's ok! :D

Track 07 - For some reason I just don't like strong Australian accents in music. It has to sound really good for me to like it!

Track 11 - ooooooh I've downloaded some of Zemy's stuff before! Thinking back, I think it might be in the remix of Life in Technicolor II, with the extended intro. That's why it was so familiar!!

So here's my review.

Overall, for someone of my music taste at least, I found this mixtape difficult to get into. I'll post a track-by-track here, because the author put a couple of different genres on there. There were a few songs that stood out to me as pleasant, but a lot of it just didn't grab my attention enough.

1. Slow, Nick Cave style doom. Totally freaky vocals, very low and threatening, with a country vibe to the lyrics and inflection. Could this be someone covering Johnny Cash though? The lyrics sound very Cash to me. I like this one, though I have a feeling that I might like the original better if it's a cover.

2. A complete shift from the last song: from gloom to glee. Jingly synths, an acoustic guitar and very ethereal vocals. It's in English, but the female vocalists sounds like she might not have English as a first language. Oh my god, there's maracas and chimes now! It's funny to listen too, but waaay too elevator music for me.

3. Starts out quite country, with soulful vocals and a little dash of Jack Johnson. After the soul-style background choir kicks in and I've banged my head on the desk for some time, I've come to the conclusion that this must be John Legend. Quite upbeat, but wouldn't listen to it if it wasn't live music or background music.

4. This one begins like a soundtrack to a dramatic, still, movie scene soundtrack. I like the vocals and the old piano in the background. Has sort of Eels-like quality to the lyrics, very world-weary. I like this one, but I would've hoped for a chorus or something.

5. Synths and over-produced percussion. If there's one thing I can't stand it's over produced percussion. The vocals sort of make up for this by sounding like Santigold/Santogold or M.I.A. If I had to hazard a guess as to who this might be I'd say Santogold/Santigold (what the hell is the current spelling again), although I have a feeling it might be less recent.

6. Spanish guitars and a falsetto voice = drama. It sounds like French and an African language. The music isn't very interesting to me, and not understanding the lyrics makes it very hard to listen to this all the way through without getting bored.

7. Simple percussion, a glockenspiel and a Hammond organ. Pretty okay, I don't like the lyrics though. "Catch my disease", seriously? The repetitive "pleeaaase"-s and "that's the way I like it"-s get on my nerves after less then a minute. A have a feeling this is some popular singer-songwriter I should know, but I don't.

8. Very slow and landscape-y. Sorry, but this means nothing to me. All I can see is some dramatic desert with a sun going down like in those fast-forward sunset films.

9. This is probably my favorite song off the mixtape, I like this one a lot! A very comforting male voice with a soft, choppy acoustic guitar rhythm. Nice lyrics too, no pretention. And a cello, I'm a sucker for a well-placed cello section. I'd like to hear more from this artist. I think the singer is Scottish.

10. More acoustic guitar, a floaty female voice. I like her voice, the guitar parts are okay, the lyrics aren't very impressive. This gets a little too repetitive after a while, but it's okay on the ears.

11. Again acoustic guitar, fingerpicking. An unknown language, maybe Hebrew? Or Arabic? Again, okay on the ears, but loses my attention after a minute. Understanding the lyrics might help here.

12. Oh lord. It's lounge. As with the ambient, this just means nothing to me. I really want to put on some noisy music after a mere 20 seconds of this. Sorry!

13. Another instrumental piece, clocking in at a measly 1:13. Sounds like it's from a movie. Again, okay on the ears, but meaningless without a context.

As a said before, a lot of this music just isn't my style. I'm into loud and agressive music as well as soft-spoken, romantic stuff, but a lot of this was just too slow to listen in one go. The only song with actual balls was the first one. I liked songs 4 and 9 best, so I'm curious to hear more of these artists!

:cool: It was not easy I know but I tried the whole for the whole! We shall better next time :D

Here my Playlist for Irrentje :

1- Danzig - Thirteen

2- Air - Sing Sang Sung

3- John Legend - Sun comes up

4- Eels - Animal

5- Fever Ray - When I grow up

6- Ismael Lo - Africa

7- Ben Lee - Catch My Disease (live)

8- District9 Soundtrack - Prawnkus

9- Alexi Murdoch - Breathe

10- Inara George - Fools in Love

11- Souad Massi - Matebkiche