✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 6th Mixtape Exchange (closed for entries)

Black Rose

no tracklist here aswell :(

Here it is:

1 - No Dice - Real People

2 - Selfish Jean - Travis

3 - Clear Skies - Keane

4 - head over Heals - Tears for Fears

5 - Keep me in mind - Little Joy

6 - Dont Stop Believing - Journey

7 - Mad World - Tears for Fears

8 - Regret - New Order

9 - Four Sticks - Led Zeppelin

10 - Golden Floor - Snow Patrol

11 - Ion Square - Bloc Party

12 - Falling Down - Scarlett Johanson

13 - Postarsd from Italy (Beirut Cover) - Florence + The Machine

14 - Ice Age - Pete Yorn

15 - Kryptonite - Magne F

But I didnt saw your review:thinking:

Anyways, here it is my review: (I am sooooooooooo late, but I was travelling and even though I had an iternet connection I couldnt download the mix....)

1 - Its kinda like an 80´s song. Very groove-y, dance-y, joyfull and such. I loved!

2 - The voice sems like Eric Clapton´s..... :thinking: nut its not him, is it? Well, this one is melancholic and I really like the guitar riff and the drums... Its and old-blues style thats I´m not used to hear, but after this I´ll definitely check it out.

3 - Wow, this one reminds me of the 90´s :mellow: thats the kind of song I used to listen at radio when I was going to sleep.... it has a good beat but its calming at the same time, and the voice of the singer is great and soft.

4 - This one reminds me of the good and old blues/rock from the 70´s:smug: good riff, long guitar solo, great lyrics.... something between The Who and Pink Floyd

5 - This one is EPIC! Starts with a kick-ass solo :wideeyed: Is it Oasis? Sounds like... Yeah, it is. I dont recognize the song tho....

6 - I love songs with harminicas:cool: t:cool:his one seems to be pretty old-school too. 70´s or early 80´s..... kinda dreamy, kinda Led Zeppelin, with an awesome bass line.

7 - Oh, what a surprise! A brazilian song! and by one of my favourite brazilian bands, Jota Quest. This one doesnt show their style, tho... this one is very dance-y and based on synthesizers.

8 - I know that it isnt the Beatles, but the hippie/dreamy feeling of Sargent Peppers is all over this song. The lyrics are veeery good and closing my eyes I can see ppl running only with flowers in their hairs...

9 - This one has no lyris, but its perfect this way. It seems that its the intro of a Bruce Springteen concert:wacko: I like the keyboards and the drums, but mostly the keyboards, it grows during the song generating this antecipation feeling of the begining of a gig you´ve been waiting for long to see...

10 - This one is my favourite so far. Calming, that kind of song that gives you hope, the one you should listen to give you the streght to a tough day. Thats not what this song was meant to be, but thats what the combined soft vocals makes me feel. Fleet Floxes must have been ispired by this.

11 - Another Brazilian song, this is a classic good-brazilian-pop music. If you wanna put everyone in a dancefloor on a party here, no matter what age the guests are, you should play this.

12 - this one is dark. Again, reminds me of the good old 70´s, with a sick bass line. and the drums create this gloomy scenerio in my head.... I dont really know how to explain, but its great.

13 - :surprised: I used to dance bolero (ballroom dancing) with this! For you that doesnt know what bolero, here it is:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCq14p8DRsY]YouTube- Fabricio Resende e Patrícia Milagres dançando Bolero[/ame]

And no, this is not the usual Latin dance style, the song is soft and romantic:wacky:

14 - I loved this song! Its something we could play at carnaval and the lyrics, about the accpting the good and bad things of life, is the best thing of it.

15 - My mom loooooooooooooves this song! And Milton Nasciment is one of the best brazilian songwriters, wich he shows wonderfully in this song. Its best line is this one: "A woman that smiles when its time to cry, like all other women at this planet..."

Overall: its a mix full of classics. I liked and I´d´ve liked it even more if I were used to listen more to the "old stuff" (in the good way, please!).

I really loved that the mix maker was thoughtfull enough to put brazilian songs in it - Dear mix maker, do you listen to brazilian song or you put them just cause I´m brazilian?

Aaaaand again thousands of apologies for my poor english and the delay. I´m sorry:shame:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loudefix, I have your review here, as I promised you I would. :D

1. This has a great synthy, brass beginning. Drums suddenly interrupt this, shortly followed by a guitar ditty and a reentrance of the brass. This has a nice groove to it. Now enters a nice guitar/bass ditty which is really nice and makes me want to dance. :smiley: The vocals which follow add to the overall feel of the song. From what I can tell, this band isn’t American. They’re either English or Australian. This is a nice intro. :smiley:

2. YAY. :cheesy: This is “Nantes” by Beirut. I love Beirut so much. I put them on the first mixtape I made for my first exchange. Zach Condon’s voice makes me happy. :wacky:

3. OOOH, another one. This is “Cosmic Love” by Florence + the Machine. I’m loving how Florence + the Machine is being used on so many tapes. She’s getting her own dose of cosmic love from Cping. :laugh4:

4. This starts off with strumming, rhythmic guitar, shortly followed by bells. “Life is hard, and so I am. You better give me something so I don’t die.” Wow, interesting beginning lyrics. Actually, all these lyrics are turning out to be very interesting. I like them. WHOA. There was a sudden stop, then it continued. I’m not sure if it was supposed to do that, but it added to the song for me, I think. I like the overall feel of the song. It ends with the bells and some bass-sounding instrument.

5. There are vocal harmonies highly present so far. This is slow compared to what I’ve heard on the mixtape so far. I’m trying to pick out what the vocals are saying, but the guitars are drowning everything out, which is unfortunate. :\ Wait, I hear something. “It’s happening again” seems to be repeated a few times in the part I was just listening to there. I don’t think I like this as much as the first four tracks, but I don’t dislike it. I think I’d like it more if the sound were better balanced.

6. We come back to fast now with this number. I don’t know if this is accurate, but this kinda has a punk feel to it to me, due to the speed combined with the vocal style. The vocals are quite rough and consist with a bit of a mild sort of screaming or something. I’m not sure, though. It’s hard for me to say. I like the “Waaaaah-oooooh”s in there. They made me smile. I think this is one that could grow on me over time.

7. Yay for opening basslines. This reminds me of the previous track, in more ways than one. It wouldn’t surprise me if this were the same band for both tracks. I don’t think it is, though, despite the similar sounding styles. “Nice pants.” :laugh4: I liked that bit; it made me grin. It’s little things like that which can make or break a tune. Da, dun dun dun dun dun. That seems to be the general pattern, or some of it.

8. This is a song which talks about something or something named “Cassius.” I’d venture to say that’s the song title, if I had to make a guess. Thankfully, the reveal is not up to me, but rather to the maker of the tape. :P OK, I’ve determined it’s about a guy. Cassius is apparently only second-best now. Poor guy. :sad: I’m sorry, Cassius, but your misfortune has been turned into a rather danceable number. The more I listen to it, the more I like it, and that saxophone-ish bit helped it out, too. I like this one. :smiley:

9. This opens with what sounds like a honky-tonk piano and drums, shortly followed by bass. Then, a clarinet? Is that what that is? I’m not sure. Hello, female vocals. This song, now that I think about it, has a very ‘80s feel to it. I blame it on the drums; I believe they sound like the come from a drum machine. Watch me be wrong about everything. :facepalm: Anyway, the vocals are quite clean, and I like clean vocals like that, so yay for her. I can feel this one is gonna be one that grows on me, too.

10. This sounds like it’s gonna be a very synthy number. So far, I’ve been proven right. Hello, French guy! Yeah, this is definitely a native French band. As I told Sofia, I’m always looking for new things, and I don’t have nearly enough French music, so yay for this one. Anyway, I think I’m liking this a lot more than I expected myself to at the beginning of the song. This is one of those surprise tracks, I think. OOOOH, tenor sax. LOVE. :heart: And sultry female talking. That’s hot. :laugh4: I’ll be interested in figuring out who this is.

11. :cheesy: I like this one already. Bongos, wah-wah guitar…yes, this all adds up to a nice ‘70s feel, along with that bell thing that just went on. This has a good Latin feel, too. :dance: :dance: :dance: Every time I feel like I want to type something about this song, I feel the need to use my arms to aid in my dancing in my chair as I listen to this, as opposed to actually talking about why I like the song. However, I think you should view the dancing as a good thing. I will tell you that this is becoming more and more of a favorite as I listen. This was a great choice. “Speak your mind, speak your mind.” I loved that bit. I love this song. I must know who this is. NOW.

12. “I spent a week in a dusty library…” The beginning was quite calm, but then the drums enter, and while it’s still quite calm, it’s not the same type of calm. I like the vocals on this one quite a bit. There’s a trumpet bit in there, too, which is cool. This track has a very happy feel to it. I quite like it. I don’t like it as much as the previous track (which may very well end up being my favorite), but it’s up there, I assure you. I don’t have much more to say about this one. Good deal.

13. :inquisitive: Is this a techno number? This song is interesting, to say the least. The beginning grabbed my attention right away. Why does this automatically make me think of Tiësto when I hear that bit in there? I wish I could explain what I mean, but this song is in a genre which is out of my element. This isn’t a style that I would normally listen to. I’m not saying I dislike it. It’s just completely different from what I’m used to, and it’s different from the rest of the tape, I think. I like the keyboard-ish ditty in there.

14. Ahhh, back to guitars and stuff. More brass, yay! I like that harmonious bit in there. The vocals are somewhat like the ones in Tracks 6 and 7. “Alriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.” This kinda reminds me of The Drums in the sense that it sounds surfy. It’s not them, though, as I detect a foreign accent in there, and by foreign, I mean not American like me. :laugh4: Then again, maybe it’s foreign to you, too, as you’re French, and these guys don’t sound French to me. If they end up being French, then they sing in English quite well. This was a nice, upbeat way to end the tape.

I know this wasn’t made for me, but I really enjoyed it, anyway. I hope you like the review. :smiley: I can’t wait to see the track listing for this.

1. This has a great synthy, brass beginning. Drums suddenly interrupt this, shortly followed by a guitar ditty and a reentrance of the brass. This has a nice groove to it. Now enters a nice guitar/bass ditty which is really nice and makes me want to dance. :smiley: The vocals which follow add to the overall feel of the song. From what I can tell, this band isn’t American. They’re either English or Australian. This is a nice intro. :smiley:

Foals – The French Open

I’m not a big fan of Foals but Their song are catchy and when I’m listening to them I just want to dance. And you’re right, they’re not American, but English (they are from Oxford).:)

2. YAY. :cheesy: This is “Nantes” by Beirut. I love Beirut so much. I put them on the first mixtape I made for my first exchange. Zach Condon’s voice makes me happy. :wacky:

As you found it it’s Beirut – Nantes

I discoverd Beirut just few month ago and fall in love with them. And this song is just beautiful.

3. OOOH, another one. This is “Cosmic Love” by Florence + the Machine. I’m loving how Florence + the Machine is being used on so many tapes. She’s getting her own dose of cosmic love from Cping. :laugh4:

Again you found it but it was easy.

Florence + The Machine – Cosmic Love

I really love this song. I find that her songs are, on some point, a copy of Bat for Lashes but I love her, love her voice and find some of lyrics amazing.

4. This starts off with strumming, rhythmic guitar, shortly followed by bells. “Life is hard, and so I am. You better give me something so I don’t die.” Wow, interesting beginning lyrics. Actually, all these lyrics are turning out to be very interesting. I like them. WHOA. There was a sudden stop, then it continued. I’m not sure if it was supposed to do that, but it added to the song for me, I think. I like the overall feel of the song. It ends with the bells and some bass-sounding instrument.

Eels – Novocain For The Soul

This band is amazing, their last stuff aren’t as good as the first albums but Eels is probably one of the best band from the last years. Mark Oliver Everett, the singer, « speak » a lot of his personals story in his song. And this song, god I love it.

5. There are vocal harmonies highly present so far. This is slow compared to what I’ve heard on the mixtape so far. I’m trying to pick out what the vocals are saying, but the guitars are drowning everything out, which is unfortunate. :\ Wait, I hear something. “It’s happening again” seems to be repeated a few times in the part I was just listening to there. I don’t think I like this as much as the first four tracks, but I don’t dislike it. I think I’d like it more if the sound were better balanced.

Beach House – Silver Soul

The singer from Beach House has a so wonderfull voice that when I listen to them it’s like I’m in an other world. I can’t really describe what I’m feeling but it is very powerfull. My favorite band of the moment.

6. We come back to fast now with this number. I don’t know if this is accurate, but this kinda has a punk feel to it to me, due to the speed combined with the vocal style. The vocals are quite rough and consist with a bit of a mild sort of screaming or something. I’m not sure, though. It’s hard for me to say. I like the “Waaaaah-oooooh”s in there. They made me smile. I think this is one that could grow on me over time.

Supergrass – Caught By The Fuzz

You probably know them with the song Alright. One Of the first band I liked and followed through the years. They officialy split in june and I had the chance to see their last gig in Paris. It was one of the best concert I ever been. It’s one of the nicer band you could imagine.

7. Yay for opening basslines. This reminds me of the previous track, in more ways than one. It wouldn’t surprise me if this were the same band for both tracks. I don’t think it is, though, despite the similar sounding styles. “Nice pants.” :laugh4: I liked that bit; it made me grin. It’s little things like that which can make or break a tune. Da, dun dun dun dun dun. That seems to be the general pattern, or some of it.

Graham Coxon – Right To Pop

Graham Coxon is the guitarist of Blur so it’s not the same band that track 6 but those two band are from the britpop area so you weren’t far from the truth. As I’m a big blur fan (and a big 90s pop fan) I’m following what each member made outside the group. And I have to said that I looooove Graham solo music. Each album are different (acoustic, metal, pop, folk) and that’s what I like in this guy.

8. This is a song which talks about something or something named “Cassius.” I’d venture to say that’s the song title, if I had to make a guess. Thankfully, the reveal is not up to me, but rather to the maker of the tape. :P OK, I’ve determined it’s about a guy. Cassius is apparently only second-best now. Poor guy. :sad: I’m sorry, Cassius, but your misfortune has been turned into a rather danceable number. The more I listen to it, the more I like it, and that saxophone-ish bit helped it out, too. I like this one. :smiley:

Foals – Casisus

As I said before I like them because of the danceable songs. I don’t care about that poor casius.:D

9. This opens with what sounds like a honky-tonk piano and drums, shortly followed by bass. Then, a clarinet? Is that what that is? I’m not sure. Hello, female vocals. This song, now that I think about it, has a very ‘80s feel to it. I blame it on the drums; I believe they sound like the come from a drum machine. Watch me be wrong about everything. :facepalm: Anyway, the vocals are quite clean, and I like clean vocals like that, so yay for her. I can feel this one is gonna be one that grows on me, too.

Saint Etienne – Only Love Can Break Your Heart

Again a 90s song. Not much to say about that band beyond the fact that I like them and they called them Saint Eitenne because of a Famous french Football team from Saint Etienne. And that’s where I live.

10. This sounds like it’s gonna be a very synthy number. So far, I’ve been proven right. Hello, French guy! Yeah, this is definitely a native French band. As I told Sofia, I’m always looking for new things, and I don’t have nearly enough French music, so yay for this one. Anyway, I think I’m liking this a lot more than I expected myself to at the beginning of the song. This is one of those surprise tracks, I think. OOOOH, tenor sax. LOVE. :heart: And sultry female talking. That’s hot. :laugh4: I’ll be interested in figuring out who this is.

Etienne Daho – Weekend à Rome

This song was release the years before my birth, 25/26 years ago. This singer is one of the famous french pop singer in France. He had a brillant carrier and almost all his album ‘even the recent) were well placed in the french charts. I love his voice, even his bad song are good for me beacause of his voic . I love him.

Here is a other old song from him with the previous band St Etienne

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgfWoee8Rio]YouTube- Etienne Daho & St Etienne - Jungle Pulse[/ame]

11. :cheesy: I like this one already. Bongos, wah-wah guitar…yes, this all adds up to a nice ‘70s feel, along with that bell thing that just went on. This has a good Latin feel, too. :dance: :dance: :dance: Every time I feel like I want to type something about this song, I feel the need to use my arms to aid in my dancing in my chair as I listen to this, as opposed to actually talking about why I like the song. However, I think you should view the dancing as a good thing. I will tell you that this is becoming more and more of a favorite as I listen. This was a great choice. “Speak your mind, speak your mind.” I loved that bit. I love this song. I must know who this is. NOW.

Femi Kuti – Bebebe

He is a Nigerian musician. He is the son of Fela Kuti, who invented (with Tony Allen) the Afrobeat. If you are intersted in african music, afrobeat is probably the most accesible genre to begin with.

12. “I spent a week in a dusty library…” The beginning was quite calm, but then the drums enter, and while it’s still quite calm, it’s not the same type of calm. I like the vocals on this one quite a bit. There’s a trumpet bit in there, too, which is cool. This track has a very happy feel to it. I quite like it. I don’t like it as much as the previous track (which may very well end up being my favorite), but it’s up there, I assure you. I don’t have much more to say about this one. Good deal.

Camera Obscura – French Navy

One of my favorite 2009 songs. The voice of the singer is really beautifull and music is good. That what I call pop music. They have 3 fantastics albums but the last one is the best for me.

13. :inquisitive: Is this a techno number? This song is interesting, to say the least. The beginning grabbed my attention right away. Why does this automatically make me think of Tiësto when I hear that bit in there? I wish I could explain what I mean, but this song is in a genre which is out of my element. This isn’t a style that I would normally listen to. I’m not saying I dislike it. It’s just completely different from what I’m used to, and it’s different from the rest of the tape, I think. I like the keyboard-ish ditty in there.

Crystal Castles – Crimewaves

Crystal Castles was a band that I first hated. I saw them as an opening act of blur last year and I thought that it was totaly shit. Sincerly it’s probably the awfull set I ever seen. But few month later I was at a party and I was a bit drunk and I heard that song and came in « trans ». So I decided to give a seconde chance to that band. It took me few days to listen to every song but since that day I can’t stop listening to them. But I still think that what I saw last year was shit

14. Ahhh, back to guitars and stuff. More brass, yay! I like that harmonious bit in there. The vocals are somewhat like the ones in Tracks 6 and 7. “Alriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.” This kinda reminds me of The Drums in the sense that it sounds surfy. It’s not them, though, as I detect a foreign accent in there, and by foreign, I mean not American like me. :laugh4: Then again, maybe it’s foreign to you, too, as you’re French, and these guys don’t sound French to me. If they end up being French, then they sing in English quite well. This was a nice, upbeat way to end the tape.

Blur - Popscene :heart::heart::heart:

Not America but not French, just English. More that half of the bands/singer I listen to are english.

I can’t made a tape without blur. They are my life. With that band I learned to love music. And I love so much Damon Albarn’s voice. He is like a semi-god for me. And this song is my favorite from that band. I saw them last year and I became totaly crazy when that song came. My friends never saw me like that and told me that I was crazy.

I’m really happy that you like it :cheesy:. I was in a bad mood today because of all the work I have. So THANK YOU to take time to reviewed it. :hug:

For this tape I had so many ideas but no time that finaly it’s a simple compilation of song I like. That’s why song didn’t fit with each other, espacially in the second part of the tape. But it seems that it work not that bad.

And sorry for my english. It's late here and I'm so tired that I certainly made a lot of mistakes.

1.Foals – The French Open (Antidotes, 2008)

2. Beirut – Nantes (The Flying Club Cup, 2007)

3.Florence + The Machine – Cosmic Love (Lungs, 2009)

4.Eels – Novocain For The Soul (Beautiful Freak, 1999)

5.Beach House – Silver Soul (Teen Dream, 2010)

6.Supergrass – Caught By The Fuzz (I Should Coco, 1996)

7.Graham Coxon – Right To Pop (Happyness In Magazine, 2005)

8.Foals – Casisus (Antidotes, 2008)

9.Saint Etienne – Only Love Can Break Your Heart (Foxbase Alpha, 1992)

10.Etienne Daho – Weekend à Rome (Weekend à Rome, 1984)

11.Femi Kuti – Bebebe (Day By Day, 2008)

12.Camera Obscura – French Navy (My Maudlin Career, 2009)

13.Crystal Castles – Crimewaves (Crystal Castles, 2008)

14.Blur – Popscene (1992)

Here it is:

3 - Clear Skies - Keane

8 - Regret - New Order

14 - Ice Age - Pete Yorn

I posted Bea's review as she was with me at the time of listening :)

Here it is:

3 - Clear Skies - Keane

8 - Regret - New Order

14 - Ice Age - Pete Yorn

yay finally. :dance:

review is here.

Eels – Novocain For The Soul

This band is amazing, their last stuff aren’t as good as the first albums but Eels is probably one of the best band from the last years. Mark Oliver Everett, the singer, « speak » a lot of his personals story in his song. And this song, god I love it.

Aw, I love that song. I have an overwhelming urge to go play Beautiful Freak now :D

I want a review too. I know my reviewer has been online, they just havent posted here. :angry:

I'm downloading your tape and planning to listen to it on the way to work tomorrow. Please tell me there are some Canadian gems "on" it! :D

I may not post the review before Thursday, because I don't have access to my computer tomorrow.

When is the next mixtape exchange going to happen? I wonder if it be late September..:thinking:

1.Foals – The French Open (Antidotes, 2008)

2. Beirut – Nantes (The Flying Club Cup, 2007)

3.Florence + The Machine – Cosmic Love (Lungs, 2009)

4.Eels – Novocain For The Soul (Beautiful Freak, 1999)

5.Beach House – Silver Soul (Teen Dream, 2010)

6.Supergrass – Caught By The Fuzz (I Should Coco, 1996)

7.Graham Coxon – Right To Pop (Happyness In Magazine, 2005)

8.Foals – Casisus (Antidotes, 2008)

9.Saint Etienne – Only Love Can Break Your Heart (Foxbase Alpha, 1992)

10.Etienne Daho – Weekend à Rome (Weekend à Rome, 1984)

11.Femi Kuti – Bebebe (Day By Day, 2008)

12.Camera Obscura – French Navy (My Maudlin Career, 2009)

13.Crystal Castles – Crimewaves (Crystal Castles, 2008)

14.Blur – Popscene (1992)

What a great mixtape!

That would be sucky timing for me, because that'd mean that I can't use my school's high-speed Internet and must resort to my dial-up like I had to do for this last one. D:

My first exchange was MTE 5, which was nicely timed in February. :nice: