✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 6th Mixtape Exchange (closed for entries)

Black Rose

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REVIEW TIME

Hotdensestate & Technicolor Sparks, listen up!

I'm not your original reviewer, but I promised about a week ago to review your tapes and then I went missing. I had to mend some slipped discs meanwhile (I'm a wreck), but I finally took the time to review your tapes...

REVIEWED

@Hotdensestate

TRACK 01 : Kicks off with a very intense synthetic bass drum loop and some metallic “chings” cross-passing. For a moment I have to fight off the impression this could be a 21st century remix of Depeche Mode’s classic “Master and Servant”. I quickly wipe off this idea, as soon as a very tender male falsetto voice sets in. The verse is very catchy and repetitive. So is the chorus which consists of the line “she can say, she can say, she knows what she’s going to say” only. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard this track before, but I don’t know what it is. Like it very much!

TRACK 02 : This song is a bit of a diva in the beginning. The intro takes ages to develop into a full-blown song. Once it has blossomed, the track is dominated by strange instruments and choral singing. Is this an accordion, an organ or an electric cembalo? Whatever it is, my mind is set to scenes of 18th century dance halls and people with wigs and white powdered faces. Characters from my favourite Peter Greenaway movie. This is either gothic or wave and very, very cool. Thumbs up!

TRACK 03 : Oops! Quite a pop number! The intro sounds very much like Keane, but the vocalist is a she. Hm. Hmm. Hmmm. This sounds like a cross between Keane and The Corrs. Sweet melody, very catchy everything and a synthetic hook to die for. Love it! I bet it’s called “Still alive”.

This tape promises to be very exciting!

TRACK 04 : Judging from the intro I expect a French avantgarde track, and in reality it’s a very repetitive electronic number equipped with sweet soprano vocals. I’m not sure, if this is English. I don’t understand a thing. Not bad, but a wee bit boring, so I’m looking forward to the next track.

TRACK 05 : This track consists of one thing only: distorted harmonies praising the qualities of crop circles and the like. It sounds like the milky way to the starry eyed lady, but it’s probably someone else. Very, very original and interesting. I would love to hear a lot more from this artist.

TRACK 06 : Oh dear… very slow folk number with a male vocalist who sounds like an impossible cross between Bob Dylan and Bryan Ferry. Not exactly my cup of tea. But then, talking of tea, this track also reminds me of ukuleles in the garden and Greek orthodox priests drinking tea in the snow. Am I weird or was this impression fostered by the photo in the information section of the audio file depicting the word “Devotchka”. Is that “djevotchka” as in the Russian word for “girl”?

TRACK 07 : Oh! Very cool! This is a song about someone called “Alex” – like me. If I had been your original mixtape partner, I would have officially called you psychic by this point. It’s a very loud up-tempo track with “The Clash”-like vocals and very up-front electric bass guitar. Like it, not just because of the name-dropping…

TRACK 08 : Acoustic chord strumming and a guy with a big voice kick off this track. Very theatric verse, this could develop into a real serenade. And it does. Lovely track!

TRACK 09 : Woman with a girlie voice feels the need to sing me a happy song with no meaning. It’s got a catchy melody, but somehow it doesn’t speak to me. Overall it reminds me of pink bubble gum and candy floss.

TRACK 10 : Another woman with too happy a state sings another cheer-up tune, albeit better than the last one. And yet I say “Next…”

TRACK 11 : Uh, now it’s getting kinky. This is a punk song with a cha cha cha verse and tongue-in-cheek lyrics. The chorus is 100% Bloodhound Gang without any member of the Bloodhound Gang being near it.

TRACK 12 : Funky blues track in the style of the Blues Brothers or James Brown. I’m very sorry, I don’t like this kind of music.

TRACK 13 : Again I am not drawn to this happy song. Maybe I should go and see a psychologist. It reminds me of something I didn’t like in the late 80s.

TRACK 14 : Very extensive intro which starts of very quiet and develops into a very loud amalgamation of different sounds and settings. I hear a voice calling out for “Rudy” or “routine” or something and then two completely different tracks play at once. One of them very obviously borrowed some “vibes” from “The Bittersweet Symphony”. Very experimenting.

TRACK 15 : Last track of this tape and it better be, because this review already took me 3 ½ hours… Ok, I admit it. I nicked off in the middle – which didn’t have anything to do with the quality of this tape.

Hm. I find it hard to describe this track. It’s one big carpet of sound with some very prominent synthesizer sounds throughout the track. I don’t know what you call these particular sounds. I think they are best described as “telecom beeps” or “robot speech”. This whole track is a mellow space track and the singer wants to be Thom Yorke. I also see some astronauts floating through the atmosphere. Very nice. This track is the perfect ending to this tape.

Overall it’s a very nice tape. Usually I prefer music that shakes my soul. I need some drama and surprise movements. This tape doesn’t offer any drama, but it already reached a stage behind the drama. It’s chilling basically. Very cool and original. I give it 8 out of 10. Just remember to delete ALL of the title information next time PLUS the info where it says “song 6 out of 15”, etc., otherwise your mixtape partner will listen to your tape in a completely different order than intended.

REVIEWED

@Technicolor Sparks

And here you go:

TRACK 01 : The opening track basically builds up around a syncopated bass line and develops into a loud, bombastic pop rock number. This song gives me the chinks ever since I first listened to it. I know I’ve heard this verse before, I even have different lyrics for it in my head. The verse is a total rip-off of another song and one day I will remember what it is. The chorus is quite nice though. A bit epic.

TRACK 02 : A lonely guitar riff kicks off this track and it’s followed by a male echoey voice. If his character is anything like his voice, I want to sit down for a chat. The chorus is quite catchy and now a full band orchestration sets in. It’s nothing special, but it’s very relaxing listening to it.

TRACK 03 : Yeah! This is how I like it. Singer-songwriter-strummed-chords-stripped-down charm complete with build up and all. Hooray!

TRACK 04 : Folklore galore! This must be some Irish rovers or some Americans who think they are some or at least their ancestors were some Irish rovers. At least that would explain the origin of the brass section in the background. Not sure, if I like it. I am not easy with folklore, although I’m German. LOL!

TRACK 05 : Oh! Big band sound! Harry Connick jr.? Robbie? No, no, no. It’s Michael Bublé. I quite like him although I don’t have any of his records. This is the kind of artist who was so totally hyped at one point that I absolutely refused to pay attention to him. With time I realize the guy is worth a listen. Cool track! I prefer HOME though.

TRACK 06 : The basic structure of this song is a very thick electronic bass hum around which a male voice sings a lovely melody. A girl appears quickly for some harmonies. I know I’ve heard his voice before, but I have absolutely no idea where. Like this track very much and the singer’s voice too.

TRACK 07 : Oh, oh! Up-tempo guitar rock for number 7. This could be The Kooks or Bloc Party. Or The Editors? Or, or, or. They all sound the same. (Oops…)

TRACK 08 : A nice mid-tempo pop rock number and the guy has trouble sleeping. Welcome to the club, dear. Nothing special, but still better than 100% of what shitty artists like Rhianna offer.

TRACK 09 : Easy! This is TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB and “Something Good Can Work”. Brilliant band! Brilliant track! Brilliant choice! Saw them live twice this year and will see them again in October.

TRACK 10 : There’s a saying in German that says “Girls who whistle and cocks who crow should get their necks wrung in time”. I believe this applies for boys as well. The rest of the song is very nice. A mid-tempo pop track dominated by a simple bass line.

TRACK 11 : There is still a picture within the coat of the audio file of this track. I can see that this is the Howling Bells. Now, help me, where did I see them? Open for Coldplay on the stadium tour? Or was it U2? I can’t remember. All I remember is that I didn’t like them at the time. It’s very different with this track. I like both, the melody and the lady’s voice.

TRACK 12 : Oh, “Sweet Home Alabama”. Isn’t it? It isn’t? Sample or rip-off? “Ahuuuuu! Werevolves of London?”… beg your pardon? Where is Kid Rock, when you need him?

TRACK 13 : Do I have an opinion on this track? I don’t know. It’s souled in and popped out and while I like the lively vocals quite a lot, I hate the rest of the orchestration. Brass section… uarghhhh!

TRACK 14 : Yeah! Fairwell to the Fairground by White Lies. I LOVE WHITE LIES! Get their album everyone, in case you haven’t. Did some filming at their show in Cologne: [ame=

]
[/ame]

TRACK 15 : Very melancholic piano intro followed by acoustic guitar and des vocals beatlesques.

This track must have had some heavy radio airplay where I live, because I know it.

TRACK 16 : Oh no, a reaggae beat… how I hate it,.

TRACK 17 : Big industrial punk guitar intro and then… OH! I know this track! Don’t know what it is though. Quite epic track with almost falsetto male vocals and potential to make you laugh, once you stumble upon the line “If there’s a glitch, you’re an ostrich”. It sounds very funny to me.

TRACK 18 : Up-tempo piano song with two people singing. This sounds like an early demo of a Corrs song. I know it isn’t.

TRACK 19 : Oh, oh, now it’s getting interesting. I have definitely listened to this song before, it’s been on the radio for a gazillion times and yet I still don’t know what it is. Where did my brain go missing?

TRACK 20: Last track and then I’m done. It’s quite a commitment to write two reviews in a row, especially when you’re tired like a dead horse. It’s a… oh I can’t describe it, it’s no big band, it’s more like the NDR Pops Orchestra, an instrumental straight from Sunday morning’s Jazz Lounge. Hate to say it, but this is music I usually run away from.

Apart from some tracks in the end I found this mixtape very enjoyable. I will definitely explore some of the artists and their original tracks a bit further and I will take both, your tape and hotdensestate's tape on my trip to the UK tomorrow.

Thanks so much for reviewing my tape! :) HINT HINT to whoever was supposed to.;)

My comments are in red!

@Technicolor Sparks

TRACK 01 : The opening track basically builds up around a syncopated bass line and develops into a loud, bombastic pop rock number. This song gives me the chinks ever since I first listened to it. I know I’ve heard this verse before, I even have different lyrics for it in my head. The verse is a total rip-off of another song and one day I will remember what it is. The chorus is quite nice though. A bit epic.

I love this song! I thought it was a bit epic as well. It's "Believe" by The Bravery.

TRACK 02 : A lonely guitar riff kicks off this track and it’s followed by a male echoey voice. If his character is anything like his voice, I want to sit down for a chat. The chorus is quite catchy and now a full band orchestration sets in. It’s nothing special, but it’s very relaxing listening to it.

"November Was White, December Was Grey" by Say Hi. It is relaxing, and the vocals are excellent.

TRACK 03 : Yeah! This is how I like it. Singer-songwriter-strummed-chords-stripped-down charm complete with build up and all. Hooray!

"I Finally Love This Town" by Tired Pony. I agree, hooray!

TRACK 04 : Folklore galore! This must be some Irish rovers or some Americans who think they are some or at least their ancestors were some Irish rovers. At least that would explain the origin of the brass section in the background. Not sure, if I like it. I am not easy with folklore, although I’m German. LOL!

"Winter Winds" by Mumford & Sons. Quite folky, so it's not for everyone. I quite like it.

TRACK 05 : Oh! Big band sound! Harry Connick jr.? Robbie? No, no, no. It’s Michael Bublé. I quite like him although I don’t have any of his records. This is the kind of artist who was so totally hyped at one point that I absolutely refused to pay attention to him. With time I realize the guy is worth a listen. Cool track! I prefer HOME though.

"It Had Better Be Tonight" by Michael Buble! I am seeing him live in a week from today! :dance: He's amazing.

TRACK 06 : The basic structure of this song is a very thick electronic bass hum around which a male voice sings a lovely melody. A girl appears quickly for some harmonies. I know I’ve heard his voice before, but I have absolutely no idea where. Like this track very much and the singer’s voice too.

You would have heard this voice before if you've listened to any Death Cab For Cutie. It's Ben Gibbard, and he was involved with this band, The Postal Service, at one point. I love them and wish they would have kept making albums.

TRACK 07 : Oh, oh! Up-tempo guitar rock for number 7. This could be The Kooks or Bloc Party. Or The Editors? Or, or, or. They all sound the same. (Oops…)

Nope, it's Ok Go! You're right, a lot of those groups sound very similar.

TRACK 08 : A nice mid-tempo pop rock number and the guy has trouble sleeping. Welcome to the club, dear. Nothing special, but still better than 100% of what shitty artists like Rhianna offer.

"Trouble Sleeping" by The Perishers. I couldn't decide if I wanted this one on the tape, but in the end I decided to put it on.

TRACK 09 : Easy! This is TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB and “Something Good Can Work”. Brilliant band! Brilliant track! Brilliant choice! Saw them live twice this year and will see them again in October.

LOVE this song and the band! I'm jealous that you get to see them!

TRACK 10 : There’s a saying in German that says “Girls who whistle and cocks who crow should get their necks wrung in time”. I believe this applies for boys as well. The rest of the song is very nice. A mid-tempo pop track dominated by a simple bass line.

haha...this one is LA by Message of the Blues.

TRACK 11 : There is still a picture within the coat of the audio file of this track. I can see that this is the Howling Bells. Now, help me, where did I see them? Open for Coldplay on the stadium tour? Or was it U2? I can’t remember. All I remember is that I didn’t like them at the time. It’s very different with this track. I like both, the melody and the lady’s voice.

I saw Howling Bells when they opened for Coldplay so that's probably where you heard them. This is my favourite of their songs.

TRACK 12 : Oh, “Sweet Home Alabama”. Isn’t it? It isn’t? Sample or rip-off? “Ahuuuuu! Werevolves of London?”… beg your pardon? Where is Kid Rock, when you need him?

To set the record straight, Kid Rock ripped off Warren Zevon for this one. But Warren Zevon is dead...so he can't exactly protest Kid Rock using the music.

TRACK 13 : Do I have an opinion on this track? I don’t know. It’s souled in and popped out and while I like the lively vocals quite a lot, I hate the rest of the orchestration. Brass section… uarghhhh!

"Barlights" by fun. How can you not like a brass section?! Though I'm a bit biased...:wink:

TRACK 14 : Yeah! Fairwell to the Fairground by White Lies. I LOVE WHITE LIES! Get their album everyone, in case you haven’t.

Amazing song, amazing band, amazing album.

TRACK 15 : Very melancholic piano intro followed by acoustic guitar and des vocals beatlesques.

This track must have had some heavy radio airplay where I live, because I know it.

Last Day of Your Life by Glass Pear. It didn't get any radio play here, but maybe where you live it was more popular. If you watch Grey's Anatomy I believe it was featured on the show a few years ago..back when I still watched it...

TRACK 16 : Oh no, a reaggae beat… how I hate it,.

Meh. To Each his own.

TRACK 17 : Big industrial punk guitar intro and then… OH! I know this track! Don’t know what it is though. Quite epic track with almost falsetto male vocals and potential to make you laugh, once you stumble upon the line “If there’s a glitch, you’re an ostrich”. It sounds very funny to me.

It's Mew! Love it.

TRACK 18 : Up-tempo piano song with two people singing. This sounds like an early demo of a Corrs song. I know it isn’t.

My Only Offer by Mates of State. I love the piano part!

TRACK 19 : Oh, oh, now it’s getting interesting. I have definitely listened to this song before, it’s been on the radio for a gazillion times and yet I still don’t know what it is. Where did my brain go missing?

I've never heard this one on the radio, but again, where you live it might be played. My town has barely any stations and they play the same 5 songs over and over :bomb:

TRACK 20: Last track and then I’m done. It’s quite a commitment to write two reviews in a row, especially when you’re tired like a dead horse. It’s a… oh I can’t describe it, it’s no big band, it’s more like the NDR Pops Orchestra, an instrumental straight from Sunday morning’s Jazz Lounge. Hate to say it, but this is music I usually run away from.

But...but...it's amazing!! It's Gospel John! It's jazz! It's epic! Maynard Ferguson is incredible! I guess you are not a jazz fan.

Apart from some tracks in the end I found this mixtape very enjoyable. I will definitely explore some of the artists and their original tracks a bit further and I will take both, your tape and hotdensestate's tape on my trip to the UK tomorrow.

Well, thanks so much for reviewing, again!

Here is a tracklist:

1. Believe - The Bravery

2. November Was White, December Was Grey - Say Hi

3. I Finally Love This Town - Tired Pony

4. Winter Winds - Mumford & Sons

5. It Had Better Be Tonight - Michael Buble

6. The District Sleeps Alone Tonight - The Postal Service

7. Here It Goes Again - Ok Go

8. Trouble Sleeping - The Perishers

9. Something Good Can Work - Two Door Cinema Club

10. LA - Message of the Blues

11. Nightingale - Howling Bells

12. Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon

13. Barlights - fun.

14. Farewell to the Fairground - White Lies

15. Last Day Of Your Life - Glass Pear

16. Rock and Roll - Eric Hutchinson

17. The Zoo Keeper's Boy - Mew

18. My Only Offer - Mates of State

19. When Did Your Heart Go Missing - Rooney

20. Gospel John - Maynard Ferguson

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?wwwndxwgny1

You sir are my fucking hero.

@Hotdensestate

TRACK 01 : Kicks off with a very intense synthetic bass drum loop and some metallic “chings” cross-passing. For a moment I have to fight off the impression this could be a 21st century remix of Depeche Mode’s classic “Master and Servant”. I quickly wipe off this idea, as soon as a very tender male falsetto voice sets in. The verse is very catchy and repetitive. So is the chorus which consists of the line “she can say, she can say, she knows what she’s going to say” only. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard this track before, but I don’t know what it is. Like it very much!

It's called Odessa by Caribou. I'm glad you like it, you should check out the whole album it's off of, Swim. Heard it around May and it's sorta been part of my summer soundtrack ever since :sweatdrop:

TRACK 02 : This song is a bit of a diva in the beginning. The intro takes ages to develop into a full-blown song. Once it has blossomed, the track is dominated by strange instruments and choral singing. Is this an accordion, an organ or an electric cembalo? Whatever it is, my mind is set to scenes of 18th century dance halls and people with wigs and white powdered faces. Characters from my favourite Peter Greenaway movie. This is either gothic or wave and very, very cool. Thumbs up!A Little Bit, Sometimes, by an Icelandic band called Múm. Again the whole record is recommended (Go Go Smear The Poison Ivy).

TRACK 03 : Oops! Quite a pop number! The intro sounds very much like Keane, but the vocalist is a she. Hm. Hmm. Hmmm. This sounds like a cross between Keane and The Corrs. Sweet melody, very catchy everything and a synthetic hook to die for. Love it! I bet it’s called “Still alive”.

This tape promises to be very exciting!

Nice guess. :P It's from a videogame actually, Mirror's Edge. (Not to be confused with the "Still Alive" from a DIFFERENT videogame, Portal... >.>) I have a bunch of remixes that were released of it a little after the video game, but I decided to just stick with the original one. (Or I'm almost positive it's the original one. Hm. Take my word for it? hahaha) The singer is Lisa Miskovsky.

TRACK 04 : Judging from the intro I expect a French avantgarde track, and in reality it’s a very repetitive electronic number equipped with sweet soprano vocals. I’m not sure, if this is English. I don’t understand a thing. Not bad, but a wee bit boring, so I’m looking forward to the next track. Alice by Pogo. The reason you can't understand the lyrics is they aren't real words -- Pogo does this thing where he takes films he likes, samples a few seconds of sounds in it, and turns them into full-fledged songs. Crazy shit.

TRACK 05 : This track consists of one thing only: distorted harmonies praising the qualities of crop circles and the like. It sounds like the milky way to the starry eyed lady, but it’s probably someone else. Very, very original and interesting. I would love to hear a lot more from this artist.

You must! It's by Imogen Heap. I love her. A lot. The track is called "Hide And Seek" BUT it's an unofficial remix with strings added in so not exactly the original. (I am too indie for originals you see)

TRACK 06 : Oh dear… very slow folk number with a male vocalist who sounds like an impossible cross between Bob Dylan and Bryan Ferry. Not exactly my cup of tea. But then, talking of tea, this track also reminds me of ukuleles in the garden and Greek orthodox priests drinking tea in the snow. Am I weird or was this impression fostered by the photo in the information section of the audio file depicting the word “Devotchka”. Is that “djevotchka” as in the Russian word for “girl”?

Shit! Thought I'd gotten rid of it. Yeah. The band is DeVotchKa. And yeah I am almost certain the name is taken from the Russian. Not everyone's cup of tea, no. But I tried to mix a lot of stuff into the tape. This track is called New World.

TRACK 07 : Oh! Very cool! This is a song about someone called “Alex” – like me. If I had been your original mixtape partner, I would have officially called you psychic by this point. It’s a very loud up-tempo track with “The Clash”-like vocals and very up-front electric bass guitar. Like it, not just because of the name-dropping…

OMG. Thought whoever listened would probably recognize this. It's by Arcade Fire. (The new album is meh but check out Funeral and Neon Bible. awesome stuff) Track name is "Neighborhood #2 (Laika)"

TRACK 08 : Acoustic chord strumming and a guy with a big voice kick off this track. Very theatric verse, this could develop into a real serenade. And it does. Lovely track!The Bones Of You by Elbow. Gonna cram another album recommendation down your throat and demand you listen to the album it's off of, The Seldom Seen Kid. It's awzum.

TRACK 09 : Woman with a girlie voice feels the need to sing me a happy song with no meaning. It’s got a catchy melody, but somehow it doesn’t speak to me. Overall it reminds me of pink bubble gum and candy floss. Haha, nice. If this particular track didn't appeal to you, listen to some of their other songs. This is Raw Sugar by Metric. I can see where you're getting the bubble gum and candy floss but you should really listen to them. Fantasies is their best album (which is incidentally not the one this is off of fyi.)

TRACK 10 : Another woman with too happy a state sings another cheer-up tune, albeit better than the last one. And yet I say “Next…” Regina Spektor, The Calculation. Catchy, and I like it, but again I can see why it's not your thing. :nice:

TRACK 11 : Uh, now it’s getting kinky. This is a punk song with a cha cha cha verse and tongue-in-cheek lyrics. The chorus is 100% Bloodhound Gang without any member of the Bloodhound Gang being near it.

Hahaha! Tangerine Speedo, by Caviar. The rest of the songs I've heard by them are frankly terrible. No recommendations here. But I like this song a lot haha.

TRACK 12 : Funky blues track in the style of the Blues Brothers or James Brown. I’m very sorry, I don’t like this kind of music.

Risky addition. But as I said earlier, tried to mix in lots of genres. This is more of stuff my dad likes (altho I like this song a lot also, or I wouldn't have included it.) Right Place, Wrong Time by Dr. John.

TRACK 13 : Again I am not drawn to this happy song. Maybe I should go and see a psychologist. It reminds me of something I didn’t like in the late 80s.

What the fuck? This is like the best song ever. I'm so hurt I'll go cry in a corner. :sad: Again, shame you didn't like it. Walkabout, by Atlas Sound.

TRACK 14 : Very extensive intro which starts of very quiet and develops into a very loud amalgamation of different sounds and settings. I hear a voice calling out for “Rudy” or “routine” or something and then two completely different tracks play at once. One of them very obviously borrowed some “vibes” from “The Bittersweet Symphony”. Very experimenting.The experimenting comes from copious amounts of LSD. :P "What Would I Want? Sky" by a nice band called Animal Collective. You're missing out if you don't listen to at least a few of their other songs. They're a little hit and miss for me but the songs that hit are amazing.

TRACK 15 : Last track of this tape and it better be, because this review already took me 3 ½ hours… Ok, I admit it. I nicked off in the middle – which didn’t have anything to do with the quality of this tape.

Hm. I find it hard to describe this track. It’s one big carpet of sound with some very prominent synthesizer sounds throughout the track. I don’t know what you call these particular sounds. I think they are best described as “telecom beeps” or “robot speech”. This whole track is a mellow space track and the singer wants to be Thom Yorke. I also see some astronauts floating through the atmosphere. Very nice. This track is the perfect ending to this tape.

I wouldn't say the singer wants to be Thom Yorke. He is Thom Yorke. Haha, nice job. Worrywort, by Radiohead (it's a b-side, so I forgive you. And his vocals are a little distorted, I guess.) Thanks for listening!!

Overall it’s a very nice tape. Usually I prefer music that shakes my soul. I need some drama and surprise movements. This tape doesn’t offer any drama, but it already reached a stage behind the drama. It’s chilling basically. Very cool and original. I give it 8 out of 10. Just remember to delete ALL of the title information next time PLUS the info where it says “song 6 out of 15”, etc., otherwise your mixtape partner will listen to your tape in a completely different order than intended.

(And I could have sworn I edited all the metadata correctly but thanks for warning me, apparently not.)

Full tracklisting.

1. Odessa - Caribou [swim]

2. A Little Bit, Sometimes - Múm [Go Go Smear the Poison Ivy]

3. Still Alive - Lisa Miskovsky [Mirror's Edge: Still Alive - The Remixes]

4. Alice - Pogo [Wonderland]

5. Hide And Seek (Strings Remix by Ciarin Hamilton) - Imogen Heap [Remixed]

6. New World - DeVotchKa [A Mad & Faithful Telling]

7. Neighborhood #2 (Laika) - Arcade Fire [Funeral]

8. The Bones Of You - Elbow [The Seldom Seen Kid]

9. Raw Sugar - Metric [Grow Up And Blow Away]

10. The Calculation - Regina Spektor [Far]

11. Tangerine Speedo - Caviar [Caviar]

12. Right Place, Wrong Time - Dr. John [in The Right Place]

13. Walkabout - Atlas Sound [Logos]

14. What Would I Want? Sky - Animal Collective [Fall Be Kind EP]

15. Worrywort - Radiohead [Knives Out Single]

Like I said, thanks. A lot. :heart:

:surprised: I want

Thanks so much for reviewing my tape! :) HINT HINT to whoever was supposed to.;)

My comments are in red!

1. Believe - The Bravery

5. It Had Better Be Tonight - Michael Buble

6. The District Sleeps Alone Tonight - The Postal Service

9. Something Good Can Work - Two Door Cinema Club

14. Farewell to the Fairground - White Lies

17. The Zoo Keeper's Boy - Mew

:cheesy: Great ones, those. That Michael Bublé song in particular is one of my favorites. :wacky:

Also, Maynard Ferguson? I'm impressed.

You sir are my fucking hero.

(And I could have sworn I edited all the metadata correctly but thanks for warning me, apparently not.)

Full tracklisting.

Like I said, thanks. A lot. :heart:

Just looking at it, it looks like it would sound good.

Well, the thing is that I'm brazilian too ;)

The mixtape was ready even before I was told you'd be my partner :D

I'm glad you liked it!

01. Smash Mouth - Pacific Coast Party

02. Genesis - Squonk

03. Lighthouse Family - Goodbye Heartbreak

04. Led Zeppelin - Ten Years Gone

05. Oasis - Morning Glory

06. Supertramp - School

07. Jota Quest - 35

08. Yes - Wonderous Stories

09. The Smiths - Oscillate Wildly

10. Pink Floyd - Summer '68

11. Ed Motta - Fora Da Lei

12. Black Sabbath - Planet Caravan

13. Fito Paez - 11 y 6

14. Pet Shop Boys - Se A Vida É (That's The Way Life Is)

15. Milton Nascimento - Maria, Maria

You guys can get it HERE.

OH, thats reason for so many good brazilian songs! :wideeyed:

Thanks!:escaping:

I waited a couple more days, and I still don't have my review.

Well, here's my tape, if anyone wants to review it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2UEXOA93

NOTE: It's a different mix from what I originally sent in, because I wanted to add a couple more songs, and change the track listing a bit. I think it's generally better. Enjoy, whoever is reviewing it!

Edit: I didn't bother to remove the track names, but I did remove the artist titles. P.S. There's a lot of popular artists and tracks on there, so you'll recognize some songs.

I waited a couple more days, and I still don't have my review.

Well, here's my tape, if anyone wants to review it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2UEXOA93

NOTE: It's a different mix from what I originally sent in, because I wanted to add a couple more songs, and change the track listing a bit. I think it's generally better. Enjoy, whoever is reviewing it!

Edit: I didn't bother to remove the track names, but I did remove the artist titles. P.S. There's a lot of popular artists and tracks on there, so you'll recognize some songs.

Downloaded :D

So, here’s my review for iPsy mixtape. Yeah, late, waaaay too late, I know…

Anyway, there was an artwork, a very funny one, with a skeleton with two heads playing acoustic guitar. We can read under it « me and mark ». I’m very curious to know what it is !

Track 1 : Starts with a pretty happy song, with some clapping and electric guitar ! Love how the chords are palm muted, it gives a great rythm to the song ! Like the voice too, it gives you a really happy mood. Really great introduction for a mixtape ! Seems like I know this voice but can’t say who it is though ! Like those riffs, it really gives the song a dreamy mood, like you don’t care about anything :D !

Track 2 : Pop song ! Drums, synth, electric guitar in the beginning and then voices ! Piano too ! A nice male voice ! An easy listening one, it is a great transition, continues the happy mood but in a less dreamy way. This one is cool, but the sounding is not that original I’d say. But as I said it’s a great transition, it fits well. Like the synth and what seems to be xylophone, instrumental parts are brought very cleverly together.

Track 3 : Synth effect, starts slowly. Violin, like this ! Then piano, seems to be a sad one. Oh, this male voice is coming, a great one. The sounding is particular, with this piano, very sad but also… Unreal, like in a nightmare or don’t know what. The drums are coming, make the song pretty scary in the sounding… Weird beacause it’s a really sad song, the voice is really catchy, the lyrics are sad too but it’s doesn’t move me that much. The rhythm is increasing, with drums and distortion guitar. This song disturbs me, I don’t manage to enjoy it… But it’s really intersting, I’d rather be disturbed by a song that being indifferent to it ! The sounding reminds me Patrick Watson in a way. Oh… the end is so scary, very brutal as when a teacher woke you up by hitting your desk with a punch.

Track 4 : A melancholic one ! More classical, folk guitars are leading the track. A male voice ! It’s a pretty mellow song that you could easily hear in a tv show. I really enjoy it, though the lyrics are a bit… « young » but I love guitars so… Oh the song is taking off, with drums and distorsion guitars ! Like this change ! Seems like the guy is waking up ! Oh, a « a cappella » part is coming, it’s funny cause the lyrics are a bit sad but the voices reminds me The Offspring in the way of singing !

Track 5 : Electro beginning ! Seems to be a funnier one ! Very intersting beginning ! Oh, funny song, really ! A male voice again, particular way of singing, reminds me Boy George ! Definitely an electro one ! Haha I’m enjoying this one, it’s a really interesting track ! The instru is really funny ! But the lyrics are sad, like this paradox ! Love how they play with the balance, there’s always something to hear backward ! But it’s a bit repetitive… Oh the bridge is cool, still in the same mood ! I’m very curious to know the artist !!

Track 6 :Oh, a fast transition ! Reggae style in the singing at the beginning, with this particular flow. And also in the rhythm, made by the synth. Oh, it’s original cause, in my opinion, this song seems to have 2 big influences : rock and reggae, never heard something like that before and I’m glad to do so now ! It’s a really catchy song, makes you wanna move ! The instru is definitely electro with some electric guitar backwards. Really enjoyed this one ! I’m really curious to know who it is !

Track 7 : Electric distortion guitar ! A rock one, in the genre of Simple Plan. I really like when the song becomes quiter in the chorus, it emphasize the singer’s voice which is great. It’s too bad cause I really like this part of the song but not the other ones with lots of guitar… I’m a bit annoyed right now ! I’m frustrated cause I really love the chorus but not the rest of the song !! Too bad, I think this song could have been one of my fav.

Track 8 : Piano, really quiet… Great male voice. Sounds sad… Just closing my eyes and waiting for the song to make me travel… A female voice is coming for the chorus, still only a piano, it’s really nice, the voices fit well. They keep on singing together. Drums are coming backwards, what I expected ! They are in a military way I’d say. I thought the song would take off a lil bit more, but it’s great it stands this way. Another male voice is coming at the end, a younger one… Drums disappeared… A really beautiful song ! We can really hear passion in it.

Track 9 : Folk guitar, a young male voice, he sings pretty high. Violins backwards, like it ! A mellow song. The song is taking off slowly, electric guitar, synth, drums, bass… Really well done, this song grows on me, although I thought it wouldn’t move me at the beginning ! Really enjoyed this one, went way too fast !

Track 10 : Oh, I SURELY know this voice !! Damn, can’t remember who it is !! Anyway, male voice, piano, bass, guitar… A common pop rock song. OK, now I’m REALLY ANNOYED cause I KNOW THIS VOICE !! It’s not really a original song but it’s well done !

Track 11 : Oh, brutal beginning ! Trumpets ? Drums, great bass line ! A female voice ! Great to hear some female here ! It’s a duet, with a man ! Sounds really good ! The trumpets and the drums brings a « circus » mood ! Could easily be a song for a show with some dancing or in some musical. I can imagine a show right now ! Really great song ! Catchy and original ! WTF is this end ??? It just broke me… Really brutal ! So disappointed, I was in this great mood...

Track 12 : A really weird transition, electric guitar, some voices singing fast. A happy mood ! Like this beginning, Love their flow ! I recognize The Feeling lead singer’s voice, but I’m not sure, don’t know this song ! Really enjoy it, the guitars are great and this shy bass line too ! The rhythm is awesome ! Really like it, makes you wanna move ! Oh hell yeah it’s so catchy, the guitars are really awesome !! I can really imagine this one live, with all the band and the crowd going crazy !

Track 13 : Haha I love Ian Ball’s voice ! Gomez ! Like this band, though I only know ‘How We Operate’, from which is coming this song, « Girlshapedlovedrugs ». Really great song, catchy, in the same mood as the previous one, in a quieter way. « Dooooooooooon’t ask me whyyyyyyyyyyy… The girlshapedlovedrugs messes with my mind ! » Love this line :)

Track 14 : Electric guitar, drums, bass : rock song ! A fast one. Reminds me a bit Editors but this voice is not as amazing as Tom Smith’s one :p A dark song, I like it, though this voice doesn’t catch me that much.

Track 15 : Oh, I know this song… It was on the mixtape I had from doritji or on kat iveson’s one I reviewed… I really loved it !! But I can’t remember who’s singing, shame on me :facepalm: really love this song and its melancholic mood but with some hope too, this voice is amazing, with this broken thing. « And if you’re homesick, give me a hand and I’ll hold it… » This line really catched me last time, and soi t does now. I’m really enjoying this song, again ! Don’t have anything more to say !!

Track 16 : Piano, echo sounding, love this at the first notes ! Drums come, echo effect is stopping. Really like this beginning ! Already heard this song before, can’t remember when and where !! Oh god I’m so dumb… Built To Last ! From the band Melee ! I really loved this band at the time, their album was great too ! A pop song, very catchy, like the singer’s voice. I really enjoy it, I’m glad to hear it again, it’s been a while :) Thank you ! The piano riff is really catchy !

Track 17 : Oh, electric guitar, bass, drums, a rock song. Another young male voice. The rhythm is pretty fast but the song isn’t that much, weird I know, but can’t find another words… Piano, synth trumpets and violin came sometimes. This song doesn’t really grabs me, don’t know why… Maybe it’s a bit repetitive, don’t know. Seems like there are too many moods in it, it disturbs me a bit.

Track 18 : Last one, same mood as the previous one ! A male voice, a rock one, I like it ! Like this rhythm, with this groovy thing. A happy mood, as the beginning of the mixtape ! It’s a catchy song ! Again, it’s not a very original song but it’s really well done in this genre, this groovy thing brings the song to another dimension. Great way to finish the tape, as it started !

Again, sorry for the belated reply…

What I can say about this mixtape is that it’s really interesting because there are some really common songs and some really original ones ! I wished the transitions were a bit better but well, it gives it a more authentic atmosphere so that’s fine ! And I enjoyed the fact that I didn’t expected at all each song song you put in.

I recognized 2 songs and really enjoyed them but I’m really annoyed cause I know some of these artists, I’m sure, but I didn’t manage to guess who they were :bomb:

I’ll surely listen to this mixtape again as I loved some of the tracks !

I know you already put the tracklist on the thread but I’d be very glad if you put it again with some details :embarrassed:

Thank you !!

@hotdensestate- not sure if you ever got a chance to listen to that 2nd tape I made, but in case you did, you may be wondering what everything is...

1. Satan is My Motor- Cake

2. Heretics- Andrew Bird

3. Big Blue Sea- Bob Schneider

4. Tin Man- The Avett Brothers

5. Cannonball [Live at Fingerprints]- Damien Rice

6. Razor- Foo Fighters

7. The Cave- Mumford & Sons

8. My Moon My Man- Feist

9. Fast As You Can- Fiona Apple

10. Fell in Love With a Boy- Joss Stone

11. Processed Beats- Kasabian

12. So You Say- The Bird and the Bee

13. This Tornado Loves You- Neko Case

14. From the Morning- Nick Drake

15. Blue Skies- Noah and the Whale

16. If You Want Me- Marketa Irglova and Glen Hansard

17. Meg White- Ray LaMontagne

18. Trouble Comes Running- Spoon

:D

http://www.mediafire.com/?gkmakmn4mmijhbm

Track 10- Another piano tune. This guy has a smooth voice as well. The only thing I think that sets this one apart is the lyrics actually seem to be well thought out contain a story instead of just random mumblings. The doo doo doo chorus is a bit of a cop out though. Good, not anything special. Reminds me of Damien Rice.

Track 10 : Patrick Watson - The Great Escape

Yes the little tune along with the lyrics work pretty well here, I admit it is a bit depressing but beautiful overall.

AHHHHH! I finally know where I know his voice from! He sings on a few tracks by The Cinematic Orchestra! To Build a Home is like my favorite song ever, I have no idea how I didn't think of this sooner. :thinking: Thanks Nodoka, I never would have looked further into his stuff without this in the tape! :nice:

@hotdensestate- not sure if you ever got a chance to listen to that 2nd tape I made, but in case you did, you may be wondering what everything is...

1. Satan is My Motor- Cake

2. Heretics- Andrew Bird

3. Big Blue Sea- Bob Schneider

4. Tin Man- The Avett Brothers

5. Cannonball [Live at Fingerprints]- Damien Rice

6. Razor- Foo Fighters

7. The Cave- Mumford & Sons

8. My Moon My Man- Feist

9. Fast As You Can- Fiona Apple

10. Fell in Love With a Boy- Joss Stone

11. Processed Beats- Kasabian

12. So You Say- The Bird and the Bee

13. This Tornado Loves You- Neko Case

14. From the Morning- Nick Drake

15. Blue Skies- Noah and the Whale

16. If You Want Me- Marketa Irglova and Glen Hansard

17. Meg White- Ray LaMontagne

18. Trouble Comes Running- Spoon

:D

http://www.mediafire.com/?gkmakmn4mmijhbm

Oh thanks. :sweatdrop: I have listened to it a few times. I feel so bad for not reviewing properly. Urgh sorry. >.>