✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Played any video games lately?

taameen**sparks**

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing Borderlands again (great game, SF FPS with online co-op and plenty of loot - weapons - scavenging) and just finished Uncharted: Drake's Fortune on Crushing difficulty. An absolutely incredible game, and a very daunting task.

I'm being hassled a bit by some folks online to make and post a vid of my technique for a part of God of War so I'll do that on Sunday. After that I'll be playing Just Cause 2, perhaps Bioshock 2 (again) or Enslaved - borrowed from a friend who's a videogames reviewer - and Singularity again (interesting and derivative but unpolished SF FPS).

Oh god, you really are polar opposite to me, PS3 is shit online. Xbox isn't, case closed.

Are you simply saying that you're an Xbox fanboy, or that you're having problems playing PS3 online? Apart from one or two games that have shonky PSN netcode every game of the last few years plays just as well online on the PS3 as the 360. Earlier online next-gen games like CoD: MW needed specific ports open on the PS3 if you don't have a router with decent UPnP, but I can point you to a place that will help you with that.

Otherwise, afaik, PSN's just missing cross game chat and invites, (and possibly some sort of avatar nonsense?). Both are possible on the PS3 but have been blocked by a certain games publisher, so it's not Sony's fault. Those fairly useful features aside, PSN offers just as good a service as Microsoft, and for free, and can in no way be described as 'shit' :)

I played "Star Wars Battlefront 2" for a few days several years ago when we borrowed my brother's friend's XBox. That game was fun to play. I liked being Mace Windu. :awesome:

BOO YEAH! :awesome: *high fives*

For the Jedi battles I'm always Obi Wan or Darth Maul. :cheesy:

Guest howyousawtheworld
I've been playing Borderlands again (great game, SF FPS with online co-op and plenty of loot - weapons - scavenging) and just finished Uncharted: Drake's Fortune on Crushing difficulty. An absolutely incredible game, and a very daunting task.

I'm being hassled a bit by some folks online to make and post a vid of my technique for a part of God of War so I'll do that on Sunday. After that I'll be playing Just Cause 2, perhaps Bioshock 2 (again) or Enslaved - borrowed from a friend who's a videogames reviewer - and Singularity again (interesting and derivative but unpolished SF FPS).

Are you simply saying that you're an Xbox fanboy, or that you're having problems playing PS3 online? Apart from one or two games that have shonky PSN netcode every game of the last few years plays just as well online on the PS3 as the 360. Earlier online next-gen games like CoD: MW needed specific ports open on the PS3 if you don't have a router with decent UPnP, but I can point you to a place that will help you with that.

Otherwise, afaik, PSN's just missing cross game chat and invites, (and possibly some sort of avatar nonsense?). Both are possible on the PS3 but have been blocked by a certain games publisher, so it's not Sony's fault. Those fairly useful features aside, PSN offers just as good a service as Microsoft, and for free, and can in no way be described as 'shit' :)

PS3 net play is fantastic value.

I wish I had more time to play video games. What is a decent broadband UL/DL speed to get the full benefit from online play without lag?

Most of the UK has decent enough broadband for online play, I'm sure you do where you are Ian. I've had decent netplay ever since my 'headline' speed (tested) exceeded 1mb, you're surely well over that now.

One thing that can impact lag is your wireless connection. Some routers perform way better than others in my experience (some 'drop' the connection more often). Wired's always a surefire way to connect.

Other than that most lag these days is due to poorly optimised game netcode or bad servers (both increasingly rare on new games), or other people having poor connections when they are hosting (on p2p games). The simple answer if you find a poor host is leave the game and join another!

The best online gaming for me is joining up with friends in the UK, but that's socially as much as anything. My connection's usually pretty silky smooth even for friends in the US or elsewhere (my tested headline Broadband speed is ~6mb now - pretty poor when you consider that when I left Japan almost seven years ago it was about 50 megs!!)

What system have you got? We should play!

• 2 years later...