✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 7th Mixtape Exchange (1ST POST UPDATE)

ivet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rudyd.jpg

I only like Biffy Clyro out of them,and that's their worst song D:

A joke ... like literally :lol: not like "this is a joke"

Oh well :P

I will be downloading other people's ones to make up for it :wacko:

wait your sended didn't remove any of the info?

well may be was trying to get you into some music your sender likes? :anxious:

So here's my review :shy:

1. I feel like I should know what this is. Short drum "intro", then the vocals kick in... I like his voice. Nice guitars. This is a good start.

2. Sick Muse by Metric! I need to start listening to them again, I forgot how great they are. :wacky:

3. Nice intro! Sounds familiar, but I can't really place it. I CAN HEAR VOCALS... I can't say I'm a big fan of his voice, but this song is still nice. Animal Collective-ish sounds in the background... Yeah, I like this!

I've got a feeling it's called Texico Bitches

4. Speaking of Animal collective, I love Summertime Clothes, it's one of my favourite songs on MPP. Do I need to say more?

5. Crazy for you by Best Coast. This is one of very few songs by them I've heard, and I don't like them at all. Sorry.

6. Nice intro, sounds familiar in some way... Oh, haha, now I can hear vocals. I have not heard this one before. His voice is kind of... Special. Yeah. I kind of like the sound of this, and I love those high guitar notes or whatever they are. Maybe a bit too long, though.

7. Why does this intro remind me of "Am I Wry? No" by Mew?

This song is kind of nice, but it doesn't really stand out. Male vocalist, good refrain. BUT I MISSSS YOOOUU ALREADEEEH

8. Hannah by Freelance Whales. :heart: This song makes me so happy. Awesome intro. I also really like his voice.

9. Kind of "rough" sounding intro, male vocalist with a rather deep voice. I can tell he's singing "don't wanna be anyone's ghost" in the refrain or whatever. It's kind of slow, and it doesn't really stand out, but it's still an okay track.

10. LCD soundsystem, lololol. I can't say All I Want is their best song, but it's still good. I especially like the outro, with all the... Yeah.

11. This is Sprawl II by Arcade Fire. It's kind of funny, because Rebecka introduced me to this song just yesterday, and I really like it, actually. I love this girl's voice, I like her much better than the guy who usually sings. Haha, excuse me, this is like the only AF song I've really listened to :lolol:

To whoever made this mixtape:

I really liked it, even though I already knew some of the songs. Thank you :blush:

1. I feel like I should know what this is. Short drum "intro", then the vocals kick in... I like his voice. Nice guitars. This is a good start.

2. Sick Muse by Metric! I need to start listening to them again, I forgot how great they are. :wacky:

3. Nice intro! Sounds familiar, but I can't really place it. I CAN HEAR VOCALS... I can't say I'm a big fan of his voice, but this song is still nice. Animal Collective-ish sounds in the background... Yeah, I like this!

I've got a feeling it's called Texico Bitches

4. Speaking of Animal collective, I love Summertime Clothes, it's one of my favourite songs on MPP. Do I need to say more?

5. Crazy for you by Best Coast. This is one of very few songs by them I've heard, and I don't like them at all. Sorry.

6. Nice intro, sounds familiar in some way... Oh, haha, now I can hear vocals. I have not heard this one before. His voice is kind of... Special. Yeah. I kind of like the sound of this, and I love those high guitar notes or whatever they are. Maybe a bit too long, though.

7. Why does this intro remind me of "Am I Wry? No" by Mew?

This song is kind of nice, but it doesn't really stand out. Male vocalist, good refrain. BUT I MISSSS YOOOUU ALREADEEEH

8. Hannah by Freelance Whales. :heart: This song makes me so happy. Awesome intro. I also really like his voice.

9. Kind of "rough" sounding intro, male vocalist with a rather deep voice. I can tell he's singing "don't wanna be anyone's ghost" in the refrain or whatever. It's kind of slow, and it doesn't really stand out, but it's still an okay track.

10. LCD soundsystem, lololol. I can't say All I Want is their best song, but it's still good. I especially like the outro, with all the... Yeah.

11. This is Sprawl II by Arcade Fire. It's kind of funny, because Rebecka introduced me to this song just yesterday, and I really like it, actually. I love this girl's voice, I like her much better than the guy who usually sings. Haha, excuse me, this is like the only AF song I've really listened to :lolol:

that's my mixtape :shy: Here's the tracklist

1. Phoenix - Sometimes in the Fall

2. Metric – Sick Muse

3. Broken Social Scene – Texico Bitches

4. Animal Collective – Summertime Clothes

5. Best Coast – Crazy For You

6. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah – The Skin of my Yellow Country Teeth

7. Albert Hammond Jr. – In My Room

8. Freelance Whales - Hannah

9. The National – Anyone’s Ghost

10. LCD Soundsystem – All I Want

11. Arcade fire – Sprawl II

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E5XP56EH

Mine hasn't been reviewed either, but give them time. Many want to make sure their review does the tape justice.

Also, an easier way to see if you tape has been reviewed instead of trawling through the pages would be to search the thread for posts made by that user. Saves some time.

Yeah, I know about the search thingie, but I wanted to read some of the other reviews too. Thanks for the advice tho.

Anyway, turns out mine was one of the tapes that's been passed on to someone else, which is a shame as some song choices were made specifically for the original receiver. Hope my new partner likes it anyway.

EDIT: Also, just as an FYI, I've downloaded the other mixtapes that had links so far. Four out the seven were in .rar files, so I can't listen to those just yet. I have Greg's, Jen's, and Chris' on my mp3 player right now. I'm about to see how much I like these.

:cheesy: Can't wait to hear what you think, Violet!

oook here is my review

1st song: the beginning pretty much reminds me of Vampire Weekend ( the instrumentation and the style)....I can't say I am much into VW...I only know the first album and liked it at first, but got annoyed by it pretty much after a while....ok enough about Vampire Weekend...well, the singer has an interesting voice and wow it is a really short song. Quite appropriate for an intro

(6.5/ 10)

2nd song: Sounds interesting. It seems to be a song that should grow on me though. Some indie electronical stuff I think....this mixtape is going to be full of stuff I usually don't listen to...I guess.

(5.5/10)

3rd song: haha. Well. This is what I think of when I think of "Indie". I tend to ignore music that is described as Indie just because I expect something like this. The funny thnig is that this starts like my stereotype of Indie, but it isn't even that "boring" (I tend to think that since some things that I heard sounded pretty much the same to me....), because there is some brass in the background. Haha but I can't help it....this beat reminds me of me and my best friend making fun of ridiculous stereotype indie people who dance with ridiculous stereotype indie moves to this music....

so erm yeah...

(6.5/10)

4th song:

hmmm not really outstanding. I don't really have much to say about this

(5/10)

5th song:

This must be my favourite so far. I like the intro where some guys seem to sing in a choir and I like the singer's voice and the guitar and the piano. Ther eis some nice developement too...I might know the band....I think the singer sounds familiar.

(8.5/10)

6th song: haha Vampire Weekend again (which actually isn't Vampire Weekend I am sure....), but this intro was so Vampire -weekend -first -album -like again...this is surely the same band like the one of the 1st song. The song sounds interesting just because of the singer who has a weirdo voice (but weirdo voices are interesting....and I like that)

(6.5/10)

7th song:

Oh something different. What does this remind me of? It reminds me of something that'd be on the radio....a guy and mainly his guitar and drums and then another guitar...I might be totally wrong if I said this reminds me of Jason Mraz or Jack Johnson....don't know:uhoh:

it is just some singer songwriter....the song was ok.

(5.5/10)

8th song:

ooh I like this start. sounds like a double bass and there is an accordion and a violin I think. I like songs with many different instruments. and omg these singers remind me of something else I have heard before. It kinda reminds me of some folky punk whatever stuff my friends listened to when we were teenagers. But that's just the singers. I keep expecting that there'll suddenly appear electric guitars which would rather destroy the song and turn it into a ska-klezmer-punk song. Haha I don't know. So, I am glad there aren't these electric guitars and it is a decent song.

(6.5/10)

9th song:

That kinda sounds like the band I described as my stereotype indie before. This song isn't that much of a stereotype song. Seems to be a decent "indie" song.

(6.5/10)

10th song:

Ooooh that must be the 3rd song by that song with the weirdo voice singer. I like that they vary in their instrumentation. Ok, it is getting too repetitive towards the end esp. since the "lallalalalalalalalalalal" sounds really weird....I said weird is interesting, but this is just too repetitive...

too bad the end made me rather dislike it....

(4/10)

11th song:

aaaaaaahhhhhh....I know this one. At least I know the band....I think. I am sure they play this on the radio station I sometimes listen to in the evenings....I could be wrong though since many things they play pretty much sound the same....that song was ok

(5.5/10)

so yeah.....I am sorry if my review sounds a bit negative. I enjoyed listening to the songs eventhough it is definitely not the stuff I usually listen to. But since I am a person who is interested in all kinds of music it was really interesting to get an insight of this genre (which I'd call "Indie") and should give some of the bands a few more listens. My highlight of my mixtape was definitely song #5.

I am looking forward to the tracklist and to finding out who made this mixtape for me.

Thanks in advance:wacko:

Here's my review.

THANK YOU to the person who made the tape, I really enjoyed listening to it! I actually listened to it several times. It was the first time I heard most of the songs and I find it impossible to judge a song at first hearing.

I LOVE discovering new stuff so this was definitely very fun for me!! :)

Hey Noémie! I'm your mixtape maker!! Funny isn't it? :D

You're welcome :)

To be honest, you weren't supposed to be my partner. I knew it when I send my link and tracklist (late) to ivet... LOL! If I knew you were my partner, I'd certainly wouldn't have put the same songs (and added some Hurts and Florence + The Machine tracks hahaha... kidding ;) )

But anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it! And don"t worry about the length of your review, I know how hard it is to describe songs, even more in English, that's why it always take me hours to write a review.

Well so, I'm gonna comment your review and put a condensed tracklist at the end. Funny thing is you said some things that I expected :D

So, my mixtape is named 'One day in a life' cause I wanted to describe my usual mood during an ordinary day, with ups and downs.

Track 1 - Sounds a bit like Fool's Gold or Yeasayer. I like the rhythm and the voices (singing a bit like a choir).

I Woke Up Today - Port O'Brien

Glad, you liked it! I like the vocals too. This song always set me in a happy mood! I thought it was a good song to open the mixtape, especially with my theme. It seems to say "OK EVERYBODY WAKE UP!" :D

I commend you their 2 first album as you seem to like this one, they're really folk. The last one is quieter but really interesting too.

Track 2 - Sounds a bit like Vampire Weekend. I like the voice. It's a good song. Would be even better if the drums wouldn't go that fast! :D

Wrist watch - Hungry Kids Of Hungary

Yep, totally agree, a bit Vampire Weekend-ish :D

The rhythm is fast, that's true! It's a short one but really "efficient" if you wanna wake up ^^

I love starting my day with fast songs, really :D

Their first album is really, really great, you should definitely check it out :) They're australian.

Track 3 - Ok I'm just dancing on my own right now, yaaayyyyy!!! :dance: Really catchy. Love it! But I have no idea what it is.

Holidays - Miami Horror

Yeah, glad you like it!! One of my fav from their debut album. Love this little funky vibe on it, really makes you wanna dance! Check the album, it's great, you're gonna dance alone in your room, trust me :D

They're australian too (yeah, australian bands really rock!) and I thank tauiwi for getting me into them during the past two exchanges :)

Track 4 - This one's also catchy, but it sounds like disco from the 80's or 90's (maybe it's not!) - I'm not a big fan, but it's a good song.

Baby I'm Yours - Breakbot

Ok so, here's a compatriot of ours Noémie! Breakbot is a french DJ, I like his stuff cause it's funky electro, with a retro vibe. And no, it isn't an old track, it's from his first E.P, out a few months ago :D Everybody has this reaction "it's an old track!" and I love to tell them it's from 2010 :)

Track 5 - No idea what it is. Not my style though (R&B style?). ;)

Christopher Walken On Sunshine (feat. Princess Superstar) - Shawn Lee

Yep, kinda R&B style! Just like how the song brings some sun in my ears when I hear it (good to start a day so). I totally understand it's not your style though :)

Track 6 - Ok this one sounds even older than track 4 (from the 60's maybe?). Interesting song, but I don't like that kind of voice.

Never Give You Up - The Black Keys

Haha, again you thought it was an old track! It's from their last album, 'Brothers', out a few months ago. I understand you didn't like the voice. But there are 2 singers in this band and this album is really brilliant so it's worth to give them a try I think.

The past songs were a bit funky I'd say, I love this style so I wanted to make my partner discover it a bit. I have this tradition to put a jazzy tune on my tapes but didnt dare to do it this time :/

Track 7 - I'm sure I've already heard that one, but I can't remember what it is. I really like it! Amazing "lalalalalaaa" and great violin at the end of the song ;)

Excuses - The Morning Benders

Hey glad you liked it! It's the opener of their last album, 'Big Echo', and I find it very amazing, my fav of them so far. I commend you to check this album :)

Track 8 - LOVE the guitar!!! Beautiful. No idea what it is.

Do you remember when I texted you in May or June and said "hey, there's a great band coming in your town, you should go check them out!"? Well, that's them :D

Figures - Little Comets

Love his voice, the guitar is just awesome. Funny cause it's the most serious song I know of them! Thanks tauiwi for getting me into them on the first exchange :)

Tracks 9 + 10 + 11 - Cute songs, slower rhythm. Not very original, but nice to listen to.

Haha I knew this part of the mixtape wouldn't amaze you that much!

Another compatriot: Mother - Cocoon

You must have heard a thousand time 'Comets' on french TV. Mother is from their last album too and my fav of it.

And another one: Bye Bye - You And You

A french guy, with one E.P I absolutely love. Hope he's gonna get a bit more famous.

And track 11 is Jordanna - Ola Podrida

An american band I love. For those who like acoustic stuff, with lots of guitar, go check them out, they're awesome!

Track 12 - More interesting one. Interesting mixture with the repetitive melody of the guitar and the voices.

Hazelton - Justin Vernon

A genius! Love 'Hazeltons', his last solo album, and all the stuff he made with Bon Iver. Thanks doritji who told me to go check his stuff during the last exchange :)

Track 13 - Like the tracks 9 10 11 ;)

The Easy Mark And The Old Maid - Bad Books

Track 14 - If this is not Beach House, it's Beach House's twins!!! :D I haven't listened to their album in a long time so I don't remember every song. LOVE them!! :)

Haha yeah, you're right, Beach House!

My 2010 revelation... Love them too!! This band is getting quite famous but I wanted to put a track of them anyway. So I chose this one, Gila. This song is originally from their second album but they covered it in 2010 for an iTunes session, which is absolutely brilliant btw. I'll give it to you if you want :)

Track 15 - Regina Spektor? Great piano, amazing voice. Like really REALLY amazing. I love the song. :)

Daydreaming - Dark Dark Dark

YAY!!! I really hoped, I mean REALLY, you liked this one! The voice is just AMAZING. The first time I heard it I just couldn't move anymore :stunned:

I put it on repeat like ten times at least... The lyrics are just outstanding. I always like to put this song when I'm on my way back home so that's why it's at the end of the tape.

Their last album is a bit special but interesting too.

Track 16 - Song to relax and sleep. Great choice for a last song on a album. ;)

Simple Way - Port O'Brien

God, you're awesome! Exactly, I wanted to close the tape with this song cause I always feel like "OK, it's time to rest your head now..." when I hear this song. So glad you felt what I wanted to tell.

It's Port O'Brien again, the lyrics and the chords are the same as I Woke Up Today, the opener of my tape so I thought it was a good choice. It's the last song of their first album too.

Thanks again for making the tape!

I can't wait to know the name of the artists I liked and listen to their work. :)

No probs dear Noémie, it was a pleasure to read you :)

If you want some material (some albums are hard to find), please, don't hesitate! I'd be very glad to share :nice:

PS: Can't wait to gig again with you ;)

Here's a condensed tracklist:

# - Title – Artist – Album – Year – Country

1 – I Woke Up Today – Port O’Brien – All We Could Do Was Sing – 2008 – USA

2 – Wrist watch – Hungry Kids Of Hungary – Escapades – 2010 – Australia

3 – Holidays – Miami Horror – Illumination – 2010 – Australia

4 – Baby I’m Yours – Breakbot – Baby I’m Yours (E.P) – 2010 – France

5 – Christopher Walken On Sunshine (feat. Princess Superstar) – Shawn Lee – Sing A Song – 2010 – USA

6 – Never Give You Up – The Black Keys – Brothers – 2010 – USA

7 – Excuses – The Morning Benders – Big Echo – 2010 – USA

8 – Figures – Little Comets – Adultery (single release) – 2010 - U.K

9- Mother – Cocoon – Where The Oceans End – 2010 – France

10 – Bye Bye – You And You – Songs, Stories And Magic Tricks (E.P) – 2010 – France

11 – Jordanna – Ola Podrida – Ola Podrida – 2007 – USA

12- Hazelton – Justin Vernon – Hazeltons – 2006 – USA

13 – The Easy Mark And The Old Maid – Bad Books – Bad Books – 2010 – USA

14 – Gila – Beach House – iTunes Session – 2010 – USA/France

15 – Daydreaming – Dark Dark Dark – Wild Go – 2010 – USA

16 – Simple Way – Port O’Brien – The Wind And The Swell – 2007 - USA

EDIT: And here's the link if anyone is interested: http://www.mediafire.com/?ue0ukyriseidh3v

All right just finished listening, pleasurable experience. Heres my review.

Track 1- BROKEN BELLS!!! I love them, the high road. These guys shoulda got Best new artist. Great song great choice. Upbeat song with some cool sounds. If you don’t got them def reccomend downloading.

Track 2- This one’s a bit depressing to tell the truth. But beautiful acoustic sound sounds like hes in a dark alley and talking about loosing a loved one it seems. Nice raspy voice contrasted by a woman towards the end. Some nice violin-ish sounds that remind me of some In Rainbows songs but everything that sounds good reminds me of Radiohead. Nice song.

Track 3- Another acoustic sung. Nice little guitar riff played over in the song. Guy has a unique voice and the lyrics are nice. “Keep your head above water, but don’t forget to breath. Song gets more uptempo towards the end . Relaxing and calm.

Track 4- Ahh this is a great one. Great band. Slow electric riff with some hauting ohhh ahhhs lol. breaks into a kick ass rock song . This guys got a great voice that doesn’t get old like some people high pitched ya know. The ooo’s really give you chills though if you imagine being there at a concert or something. This songs like a real emotional, memory driven balled, a lot of tempo change so its great even after a couple of listens. A great listen!

Track 5- A lot of love songs on this mixtape. This ones nice with a really beautiful tropical island relaxing keys. Real relaxing and daydreamy. Makes you forget about your problems, a head bopper. I really like the lyrics and the piano is just great. “ I wish I could follow you to the shores of freedom.” My favorite so far!

Track 6- To be honest don’t like this one. Sounds like its from a movie, I can see how someone would like it but its too plastic to me. Like a suspenseful, climax point song of a movie with some nice classical instruments so if youre into that this one’s for you.

Track 7- Starts off nice with a complex instrumental of what sounds like some Spanish inspired acoustic with a slow steady tempo. Seems very restaurant-background. The guitar seems to be telling a story. But then singing kicks in and the guys voice is very undesirable to be honest. It seems like someones attempt to make the best song ever, like one with a lot of change and its starts out slow then changes a lot and all that but it doesn’t work, at least not for me. Don’t mean to bash the song, but it kinda breaks out into an illuminati chant heavy thing which I just don’t like.

Track 8- Heavy accent on this guy. I really like it it sounds a bit like “Redemption Song” turned British lol. It has the same progression and everything. As satriani is to Viva la Vida this is to Redemption Song lol. Nice though really cool.

Track 9- Sounds like Mumford and Sons, another acoustic yet. Nice song though, I really like his voice, uppp heard the banjo now im sure its M&S. Jumping up and down at festival time. Chanting is goosebumping I gave you ALLLLLL. If your mad this is a good song to let off some steam.

Track 10- getting kinda lazy the rest of the reviews are gonna be short. Nice voice. Acoustic with some nice sounds. Too slow though.

Track 11- This ones a bit funky. Kind of like a rebellious angry slow song if that’s possible. Nice. The guys voice sounds familiar. Nice little diddy.

Track 12- Kind of generic modern rock-ish. Forgettable? Sorry but not my cup of Chai Tea. Prolly sounds good in an arena but I can find myself listening to it.

Track 13- Yes this ones cool. Sounds like Kid A with all these alien sounds Im in Nevada looking up at the night sky and thinking about my life so far and it’s the eve of something monumental about to happen. This is the picture I I paint with this one. Really nice lyrics aren’t necessary for this you can just imagine something amazing and it fits right in. But unfortunately there are some lyrics that take away from it. Overall, a nice jam. I can see Thom Yorke spazing to this.

Track 14- Movie sounding, definitely from a movie actually. SUSPENSE. Like preparing for a battle and you can cut the tension with a knife but greatness lies ahead. The story of someones life put into a song. Way better than the other movie type song. Beautiful.

Track 15- Appropriate,this ones emotional. Another movie-esque. But a solemn representation of peace and finality no worries on this song. The mixtape blended well and from start to end its kind of like a love story of coming and going, I don’t know if this was done purposely. Drums on hear kick ass. But then….ugh. Too loud for a bit, takes away a bit from a great song otherwise. I wonder what this would sound like high? Ends nicely, sounding like Deadmau5.

So that’s that. A very nice mixtape which must have took a lot of effort. Im very thankful for whoever made this and put in their time because it was very fun to listen to. Sorry if you guys don’t feel the abstract descriptions but music does that to me sometimes.

Hazelton - Justin Vernon

A genius! Love 'Hazeltons', his last solo album, and all the stuff he made with Bon Iver. Thanks doritji who told me to go check his stuff during the last exchange :)

:D:D Look mama, I showed someone something awesome and she liked it tooooo