✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 7th Mixtape Exchange (1ST POST UPDATE)

ivet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MY REVIEW:

Track 1 – Cool, creepy opening to the mixtape. The augmented vocals work well with the beat although the track doesn’t really go anywhere. It kind of gets a bit repetitive after a while but it’s quite an original sound.

Track 2 – Starts off with a groove and beat similar to Coldplay’s ‘Lost’. Got me intrigued already. The track has a bit of ‘edginess’ to it which sounds almost haunting. Great female vocals soar over the beat, making this quite an epic track. If anything, it’s a bit long.

Track 3 – A folky song that actually sounds like my Bandmate’s girlfriend. Freakishly. I like how the song grows. Female vocals again – a trait of this mixtape? A heart-warming song.

Track 4 – NICE. Now we’re talking. Riff’s got me already – I love that sound in songs. The track has a great energy about it – this is my favourite so far! Real funky afro-pop beats!

Track 5 – Hahaha, what a change-up. This sounds like some hard core girl gang shit! Sorry, it’s almost unlistenable.

Track 6 – Hip-hop continues from the last track. This one has a cool beat but this is one of the only genres of music I genuinely don’t like.

Track 7 – A long, electro-rock track that is purely instrumental. The sound gets so weird that it’s unlistenable.

Track 8 – Really like this track. It almost sounds a bit like new Aussie band “Miami Horror” but I know it isn’t. One of my favourite tracks from the mixtape so far. I hear a French vocal excerpt so it could be French music with English vocals! Nice!

Track 9 – Back to Chris-Brown-esque Hip-Hop. Thumbs down.

Track 10 – Smooth indie. Stripped back compared to the other tracks, this is a nice arrangement. Almost dreamy in fact. A great inclusion. Reminds me of summer! Like! Freakishly similar to COLDPLAY lol it’s way too similar to Strawberry Swing don’t you think?

Track 11 – Really cool original instrumentation introduces the track but the vocals conflict with it too much.

Track 12 – Dancey. Sounds like a remix. Of a club song. *shudders*

Track 13 – Girl band. Not a great one. YOU MUST BE A GIRL. So many female vocals on this mixtape, this one isn’t that great.

Track 14 – Arcade-fire esque. Mixed with The Boxer Rebellion. The sound is great, could easily be played in a stadium. Interested to find out more!

Track 15 – Soft piano instrumental to end. Was this home recorded?

Overall I was disappointed with this mixtape. The maker obviously didn’t do their research to find out similar music that I would like matched with my interests (last.fm link?!?!?) Or they were spot on in introducing music I would never listen to normally. I seriously have NO idea who made this. Some of the tracks are great, I’d love to know a bit more about Track 4.

Overall I was disappointed with this mixtape. The maker obviously didn’t do their research to find out similar music that I would like matched with my interests (last.fm link?!?!?)

The point of the mixtape (for the one who's making it) is to put sthg HE likes, not doing sthg to match yours!!! Hence the discovery of other people tastes.... Just saying ;)

To my mixtape partner, my review is still p40...waiting for the tracklist *please* :D

OK, Mixtape Maker.

I apologize for taking so long to get the review posted. And I also apologize in advance for how quick and low-quality it's going to be. I'd love to sit and write a ton, but I am seriously not going to have time to do that until after Christmas. :( I'm sorry.

With that said...

1. starts with soft, acoustic guitar. sounds folkish; almost a little Avett Brothers-esque, especially the vocals. Like this!

2. This one has a familiar sound... maybe kind of Travis-like? I like the vocals and harmonies, but am not too fond of the guitar.

3. I believe this is Ray LaMontagne, though I don't know which song. I :heart: Ray LaMontagne. If it's not him, I :heart: whoever this guy is.

4. This one's more upbeat... "it's much too late to talk the knife out of their hands..." I like this one.

5. A female vocalist. Don't know this one either. Her voice is pretty and rough at the same time. has kind of a haunting sound. Like. Like the melody.

6. Is this Keane? I *think* it sounds like them, though if it is, it's off of one of the last two albums, because I don't know it. :) I do like, though. Has much more guitar and drums than previous songs.

7. Starts with piano... which is almost always a good thing for me! :) Vocals feel a bit familiar, but I don't think I've heard this band before. "...when you're homesick, give me your hand and I'll hold it...." Like this one, too.

8. This is David Gray. I tend to like David Gray, even though I don't own any of his stuff.

9. Drums, and understated male vocals. "...nothing gives me pleasure like you do..." Not bad. Not my favorite, but definitely not bad.

10. Do I hear accents? I can't tell. I definitely haven't heard this before. It's OK.

11. This song starts off sounding like Editors or some similar group. Driving beat. Like the instrumentation. Female vocals are a little jarring at first. This one has grown on me. I didn't like it much when I first heard it, but the more I listen, the more I'm liking it.

12. back to acoustic guitar and a sweet, but imperfect voice. "... you can blow my mind so easily". Lovely.

13. I really like the mood and sound of this one. It's a quiet way to end the tape, but I think it's probably one of my favorites on here. :) Though, it ends kind of abruptly, and what's the xylophone doing at the end? :wacko:

Thank you, Mixtape Maker! I didn't know a single song, which means I've been exposed to a lot of new music! Overall, it was stuff that I haven't heard, but that falls into line with the type of music I like. I'm anxious to see the tracklisting! Thanks again, and I apologize for the delay in my review!

Okay, it's time for my review:)

This is my first mixtape review ever, so mystery Coldplayer, who ever you are, please excuse my bad reviewing skills. XD

You did a good job with the tape and I enjoyed, but unfortunately some of the info was not deleted, so I tried my best not to look while I deleted it: P

Hey Maria as you can see i made your mixtape, i'm sorry the information wasn't all gone, i swear i deleted it, i guess i just don't really know itunes well enough:shrug:

Well let's get going then:

1) Ohh ... It’s a old one! I keep picturing some teenage girl from the 60's in his room, dancing and going crazy in front of her mirror:P This is not something that I’d usually listen to, but it is a "fun" song and I liked it.

This is "You Keep Me Hangin' On" by The Supremes, it is from the 60's they were actually almost as popular as The Beatles at one point.

2) Well, this makes me want to take a walk on the wild side, haha ....... This song is kind of raw if you know what I mean, straight forward! It’s cool and I like the little jazzy solo at the end:)

This is "Walk On The Wild Side" by Lou Reed, it it probably his most well known song, but i think his his best song is "Perfect Day" you should check it out.

3) Flume by Bon Iver, I LOVE this song. Really good choice. This song makes me want to escape into the misic and just feel and live for each note. it’s amazing.

not much i can say here now is there

4) It’s a bit dark and gloomy, which I like:) I like the chello in the back of the chorus, it adds a nice touch! I really like this song, but after a while it gets a little bit boring :(

"Something In The Way" by Nirvana, it's one of the less popular songs from "Nevermind" it's one of my favorites but i do agree that it get's very repetitive after a while.

ahhh ... Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel, one of the old classics.

Wonder how many broken hearts have listened to this song since the 70's?

ME LIKEY:)

Glad you liked it:)

6) Love.

i don't know if you say that because you already knew the song but i'll just write about either way. It's "Wide Awake On The Voyage Home" By Liam Finn, it was on his debut album "I'll Be Lightning" which you should definitely check out.

7) Yeah .. promising start ..... I love the sound of this :D Okay, now this is starting to seem very familiar ... I know who this is, I do, my mind has just gone completely blank!

Can’t wait to find out who this is!

This is "New Year's Day" by U2, it was their first hit single.

8) Susan Sundfør, she is amazing. She has such an incredible voice, and I love that her music is so dramatic. She never fails to surprise! For me, this is also one of those songs that you can just escape into :P

She is rather amazing, she's also really good live, Will and I saw her when she was in Tromsø(it was awesome!)

9) I love the opening with the harp. This is an old song, right? It draws the picture of a young boy who leaves home to travel around the world and find happiness, with all his belongings in a backpack over one shoulder! Don’t know why but this makes me think of the Disney pruduksjon of Robin Hood ;) It's a cute song!

This is "The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel, and that is actually a guitar opening.

10) I like the intro with the guitar, and the tender nature of the song! I’s nothing really special about it, but I enjoyed it:)

This is "Hotel Feelings" by Dikta, don't let the "nice" sound of the song fool you, he's actually singing about a murder!(:stunned:)

11) Heart of Goald by Neil Young, another one of the classics! I've never really listen that much to Neil Young, but I did know this song:) It's good!

It's the only Neil Young song i generally listen too, i løv it

12) I guess this is okay, but it wasn’t my favorite track on this tape! I liked the opening, but the guy who sings creeps me out :( I liked it better in the chorus though:). I don’t hate it, in a way it’s is pretty cool, I just don’t love it!

And that is....."All The Young Dudes" by Mott The Hoople, they were actually struggling and thinking of breaking up when David Bowie gave them this song and saved them.

13) This has some of the same sound as 12, but I like this much better:) I like the acoustic guitar and the tow people who sings are actually kind of cute. This song also seems a bit familiar, it's from a movie or something?

This is "Anoyne Else But You" here sung by Michael Cera and Ellen Page but originally it was made by The Moldy Peaches, it was used a lot in the movie "Juno"(:heart:) so that might be where you know it from, it was also the first song i could play on the guitar.

14) Now this I love, is it Icelandic? Sins I’m norwegian I should be able to understand some of it, but honestly, I don’t understand a word. XD I think it's about someones birthday though, 'cause at the end he says something about being 16 years old -today- !

This is one of those songs you want to listen to on a good and sunny day! It starts of really cute, then when the woman begins to sing the sound changes slightly and then it takes more of at the bridge;) -GOOD!!!!!

Yes it is Icelandic, it's "Bólaheiðfall" by Nóra, i absolutely fell in love with this song during the summer, it was actually a lot of work to get it, but i had to have it on the mixtape

15) Ohh... It’s catchy, I’m tapping my fot:) This song cheers me up! This is a good way to end the tape, it leavs me in a good mood.... well done!!!!!!!!

It's "F*ck You" by Cee Lo Green, it's his new big hit over in the states.

I'm glad you liked it :) here is the complete tracklisting:

1.You Keep Me Hangin' On – The Supremes

2.Walk On The Wild Side – Lou Reed

3.Flume – Bon Iver

4.Something In The Way – Nirvana

5.Bridge Over Troubled Water – Simon & Garfunkel

6.Wide Awake On The Voyage Home – Liam Finn

7.New Year's Day – U2

8.It's All Gone Tomorrow – Susanne Sundfør

9.The Boxer – Simon & Garfunkel

10.Hotel Feelings – Dikta

11.Heart Of Gold – Neil Young

12.All The Young Dudes – Mott The Hoople

13.Anyone Else But You – Michael Cera & Ellen Page

14.Bólaheiðfall – Nóra

15.F*ck You – Cee Lo Green

Hey there. I was the one who made your mixtape. Happy to know that you liked

some of the songs. I suck at making mixtape. :P

tracklisting:

1. Set Guitars to Kill by And So I Watch You From Afar

2. Negative by Mansun

3. Corriander by Pomegranates

4. We Have a Map of the Plane by Múm

5. The Wave Ballet by Oh No Ono

6. All The Kings Men by Wild Beasts

7. No Lucifer by British Sea Power

8. Hollywood Bowl by Band Of Skulls

9. Moment Gone by Delays

10. Under The Walnut Tree by Keane

11. Answer by Thirteen Senses

12. Till V?ning Tretton by Dorena

Here's the download link:

This looks like a good mix, Felicia :wideeyed:

:thinking:

yours have not been reviewed?

Have not. :(

My rubbish belated review

1. ‘no rest for the wicked’ ? has a country feel to it and I’m guessing it’s an indie band ?

2. I love this song it’s Florence + the machine with Rabbit heart, I particularly love the harp on this it's very catchy

3. U2 with City of blinding lights , another song I love

4. Female vocals, quite a nice voice and piano but it’s not my favourite.

5. This is to the grave by the Pierces, a good song and I meant to listen to more of their music but I forgot.

6. Queen with Don’t stop me now

7. I definitely recognise this but I can’t remember who it’s by I think it’s called uninvited

8. I know this is the Strokes but I can’t remember what song it is, I love the guitar on this one and also the drums, it’s a really catchy song which is my favourite so far.

9. This is girl from mars by Ash

10 starts with some bird call and jungle-y noises .. Edit this is 3o seconds to mars with Kings and queens, used to really like this song a while back but I’ve tired from it :\

11. Song sounds a bit like thom yorke but it’s not them I’m sure but I don’t know who. Theres a lot of backing vocals and nice simple guitar song

12. Starts with drumming and synth sounds, I like how this song is very different it has a reggae sort of feel to it.

13. A nice Christmassy one , The Pogues - fairytale of New York I love listening to this at christmas

14. Sounds like U2 again, but I don’t know the song , it’s a short simple ending to the tape which is nice. It’s mostly just his voice you can hear which makes it simple yet a nice track.

My problems were that you had all the songs in one media file that’s 56 minutes long, there’s nothing wrong with that I just prefer them separate and sadly I knew a lot of the songs which spoilt it for me but out of the ones I didn't it was good and thankyou for it :)

Hi there, I'm April. Sorry you didn't like it that much. :disappointed:

Here's the track listing...

Track 01: Ain’t No Rest For The Wicked - Cage The Elephant

Track 02: Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)- Florence and the Machine

Track 03: City of Blinding Lights - U2

Track 04: Flame Trees - Sarah Blasko

Track 05: To The Grave - The Pierces

Track 06: Don’t Stop Me Now - Queen

Track 07: Uninvited - Alanis Morissette

Track 08: You Only Live Once - The Strokes

Track 09: Girl From Mars - Ash

Track 10: Kings and Queens - 30 Seconds to Mars

Track 11: Bitter Kiss - Faultline

Track 12: Beyond All - The Cat Empire

Track 13: Fairytale of New York - The Pogues and Kirsty McColl

Track 14: MLK - U2

The point of the mixtape (for the one who's making it) is to put sthg HE likes, not doing sthg to match yours!!! Hence the discovery of other people tastes.... Just saying ;)

+1! I thought this was the whole point of this mixtape exchange! Was kinda obvious to me, in any case ;)

I discovered LOTS of new songs and new styles and enjoyed it A LOT!! (yeah I know Sofia, I haven't replied to you yet!! Gonna do it soon) :)

To my mixtape partner[/color], my review is still p40...waiting for the tracklist *please* :D

Sorry, can't help you... But I'm curious to know what mixtape you made. Where can I find your tracklist, link and comments? :)

I may have seen it already but don't remember...

Thanks! :)

My very belated (which I am very sorry about!) review. Sorry again! :(

Track 1: opens with a guitary bit, then drums join in to make sort of like a march like sound. Good entry to the mixtape! :lol: Some singing in the background at the beginning of the song... I like that :dance:. The singer’s voice is very distinctive. I really like the clicking of drumsticks about half way through. Enjoyed the song right the way through. An excellent first track! :dance:

Track 2: the start of this song is quite interesting... I didn’t really know what to think of it :confused:. But then the singing started and I felt a little better. I liked the beat. Very catchy! It remained fairly similar throughout, lots of soary strings and such. Not bad!

Track 3: instantly in this one you’re hit with strong vocals. Couldn’t really tell if they were female or male! :lol: The lead singer sounded similar to the one in the first track. Don’t know why, but there you go. Again, another very catchy song. I’ve actually listened to it heaps! The drums in the background sort of sound similar to those in Lost!, and that made it a whole lot better :wacky:. Overall, a great choice. It fit in very well with the other two tracks. Great choice!

Track 4: the start of this song was funny. The strings sound sort of corny! But I like that. I love the bells in the background towards the end. Yeah... basically this song was too short :lol:. I was enjoying it way too much when it ended.

Track 5: I wasn’t so much a fan of this one. It’s ok with the strong beats and simulated instruments, but y’know. It’s ok, but... I dunno :tongue:. Don’t know what else to say. Sorry! :embarrassed:

Track 6: I really loved this one! :wacky: It sort of sounded mysterious, what with its distanty vocals, all overlapping each other. Love, love, love it! :dance: And how it faded away at the end... awesome. :wacky::wacky::wacky:

Track 7: the voice of the lead singer is so deep in this one. I love how you included this in the mix. It just so suits that position! :dance: The lyrics are great, the sound is great. The guitar sound is amazing. Yeah, I love this too. Great choice!

Ok, so far you’ve gone pretty well... :dance: let’s see how the second half is!

Track 8: another mysterious track. It sort of reminded me of Apparatjik. Don’t know why, but oh well :shrug:. The soft drums slowly get louder as the song goes on, and the female vocals are awesome. You’ve got good taste, my friend! I really liked this one too. Electronic beeps bring the song to a close nicely. I like!

Track 9: this song began sort of like something of a movie soundtrack, what with the strong drums. The vocals made it a little unusual, but the rest of the song was excellent, and I loved the piano playing in the background. Just made it another great track. And the drums at the end were pretty damn awesome :dance:.

Track 10: I honestly didn’t expect this song to go how it did. I was expecting a strong, crazy guitar fest, but no. A nice, gentle guitary compilation surprised me enormously. But that’s not a bad thing :lol:. I liked how this incorporated with the other tracks. Yet another great choice.

Track 11: I swear I know this song from somewhere... maybe an ad for something? Just so familiar. Oh well :shrug:. I don’t usually like this type of musical style, but I guess it fit in well here. It reminded me of space, as odd as that sounds.

Track 12: I like the echo of this song. It sort sounds like Freelance Whales, if you know who they are :lol:. I also liked how the tambourine was playing in the background. It made a very nice sound, and you can probably tell by the other songs that I like here that I’m into alternative. So this was a great choice! :lol: :wacky:

Track 13: if this isn’t Florence and the Machine, I swear... those sounds are so totally Florence. That voice and the drums and soary tunes. Love it :wacky::wacky::wacky:. Not even kidding. I don’t think I need to say any more.

Track 14: this song was pretty awesome. I liked how the guitar was so... I dunno. It’s just awesome! How it gets louder and stronger... no. I loved it. No, seriously. I love this mixtape.

Track 15: at first I thought this song was all classical, but that was pretty silly of me, wasn’t it? Now... is this the same artist as the first track, just as a guess? A lovely way to finish off the mixtape. The soft lyrics and strings are just lovely, and a Christmas song is quite relevant considering the time of year! :wacky:

Thank you so much for such an incredible mixtape. I really enjoyed listening to it, and I have replayed a few of the tracks over and over! :lol: Although there were a couple of tracks I didn’t really like that much, it was overall really great. I give it a... 9 out of 10! :dance: Yay high scores!! :dance:

Yeah, so thank you, and I’m very, very, VERY sorry for it being so dreadfully late! It was fantastic anyways, and thanks for liking the same music as me!

Sorry, can't help you... But I'm curious to know what mixtape you made. Where can I find your tracklist, link and comments? :)

I may have seen it already but don't remember...

Thanks! :)

No, I'm waiting for my mixtape partner to post the tracklist of the tape he made for ME.

My mixtape hasn't been reviewed yet ;)

To my mixtape partner, my review is still p40...waiting for the tracklist *please* :D

AH, RIGHT. My bad. But you don't want to make a tape someone won't like, surely.

To quote IVET's first post of the thread:

"The basic idea is that everyone who wants to gets together a list of songs that they enjoy and that they think others may not be familiar with, but will like"

Hi there, I'm April. Sorry you didn't like it that much. :disappointed:

Here's the track listing...

Track 01: Ain’t No Rest For The Wicked - Cage The Elephant

Track 02: Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)- Florence and the Machine

Track 03: City of Blinding Lights - U2

Track 04: Flame Trees - Sarah Blasko

Track 05: To The Grave - The Pierces

Track 06: Don’t Stop Me Now - Queen

Track 07: Uninvited - Alanis Morissette

Track 08: You Only Live Once - The Strokes

Track 09: Girl From Mars - Ash

Track 10: Kings and Queens - 30 Seconds to Mars

Track 11: Bitter Kiss - Faultline

Track 12: Beyond All - The Cat Empire

Track 13: Fairytale of New York - The Pogues and Kirsty McColl

Track 14: MLK - U2

BRILLIANT mixtape tracklist!! Don't feel bad you have awesome taste!

Hi!

I'm your mixtape maker.

Thanks for your review!

Aww too bad you didn't get my message (I sent it to ivet), I was telling you about the Christmas theme and 'warning' you about some "weird" songs that sound like parodies! ;)

Efterklang - Cutting Ice To Snow

Glad you thought it was a great opener! :)

Yo La Tengo - It's Christmas

Haha I thought exactly the same, funny. :D

Guster - Tiny Tree Christmas

Bishop Allen - You'll Never Find My Christmas

Haha that's funny! It's Eels! :lol:

I don't know where you saw those track details! I deleted everything. Weird. :inquisitive:

Eels - Christmas Is Going To The Dogs

First 'parody' song by the famous....Arcade Fire!! Who would have guessed, right? Not me!!

I laughed so hard when I heard it. They probably had a lot to drink when they wrote and sang it. :lol:

Arcade Fire - Jinglebell Rock

Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal

Glad you like it! :)

Best Coast, Wavves - Got Something For You

Sufjan Stevens - Put The Lights On A Tree

One of the MANY Christmas songs he wrote! I don't know him that well but he seems to really like writing Christmas songs ;)

Coconut Records - It's Christmas

Jenny 0. - Get Down For The Holidays

I know absolutely nothing about her, I just found that song, so I can't say much. :lol:

She's got a pretty voice though, I agree. :)

Belle And Sebastian - Twelve Days of Christmas

Second 'parody' song!

Again, I really laughed when I heard it and knew it was the famous Belle & Sebastian band, this song is so different from what they usually do! ;)

The Killers - Don't Shoot Me Santa

Funny lyrics, right? :D

The Killers really like making Christmas songs too. ;)

Fucked Up - Do They Know It

What? 30 min? I don't understand. The song's 4:23! :inquisitive:

Sufjan Stevens - That Was The Worst Christmas Ever

How "funny" is it when you spend 2 hours trying to remove all the details from the songs and when you've finally managed to do it and checked several times to be sure you didn't miss anything you're so proud and then...you just learn that you're just TOTALLY useless at it! :lol:

I should get a class at removing the details from the songs before the next Mixtape exchange. :P

Snow Patrol - When I Get Home For Christmas

:)

The Killers - Boots

Their new song. :)

The Golden Filter - White Nights

The Raveonettes - The Christmas Song

The songs sure don't come from CDs! :D

Sorry about the quality. :\

Sally Shapiro - Anorak Christmas

Swedish Christmas song. :)

From 2008!

Hurts - All I Want For Christmas Is New Year's Day

:heart: :heart: :heart:

(do I look like I'm in love with them?) :P

A duo from Manchester. The singer's Theo Hutchcraft. The synth player's Adam Anderson. They're AMAZING. ;)

Thank YOU! I really enjoyed making the tape, I discovered a lot of Christmas songs that I didn't know of and I'm glad you liked the idea of a Christmas theme! ('cause I don't know, if you had hated Christmas I would have been...screwed. :D)

And I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the songs!

:)

Tracklist:

01 - Efterklang - Cutting Ice To Snow

02 - Yo La Tengo - It's Christmas

03 - Guster - Tiny Tree Christmas

04 - Bishop Allen - You'll Never Find My Christmas

05 - Eels - Christmas Is Going To The Dogs

06 - Arcade Fire - Jinglebell Rock

07 - Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal

08 - Best Coast, Wavves - Got Something For You

09 - Sufjan Stevens - Put The Lights On A Tree

10 - Coconut Records - It's Christmas

11 - Jenny 0. - Get Down For The Holidays

12 - Belle And Sebastian - Twelve Days of Christmas

13 - The Killers - Don't Shoot Me Santa

14 - Fucked Up - Do They Know It

15 - Sufjan Stevens - That Was The Worst Christmas Ever

16 - Snow Patrol - When I Get Home For Christmas

17 - The Killers - Boots

18 - The Golden Filter - White Nights

19 - The Raveonettes - The Christmas Song

20 - Sally Shapiro - Anorak Christmas

21 - Hurts - All I Want For Christmas Is New Year's Day

http://www.mediafire.com/?bgbapat4a4gog94

(It's the file with the detailed songs! I thought it would be easier for those who want to download it.)

And if anyone's interested in Christmas 'indie' songs, there are LOTS of tracks here: http://www.indierockcafe.com/music/christmas-indie-songs/christmas-alt-indie-songs.html

Hi there! Nice to meet you :nice:

Wow I really didn't recognise Arcade Fire and Yo La Tengo AT ALL! :stunned:

I've been meaning to get into Sufjan, Belle & Sebastian and Fucked Up, so I should thank you for including them as well hehe

I'll give it some more listens, maybe the songs I wasn't keen on will grow on me. But I really enjoyed it! Thank you :)

Hey Maria as you can see i made your mixtape, i'm sorry the information wasn't all gone, i swear i deleted it, i guess i just don't really know itunes well enough:shrug:

When I first got the tape I immediately thought that it was you!

But then I just kept thinking "what are the odds".

Well let's get going then:

This is "You Keep Me Hangin' On" by The Supremes, it is from the 60's they were actually almost as popular as The Beatles at one point.

Well, like I said, I don't really listen that much to this type of music.

This is "Walk On The Wild Side" by Lou Reed, it it probably his most well known song, but i think his his best song is "Perfect Day" you should check it out.

Okay, I will definitely look more into it !

not much i can say here now is there

:D

"Something In The Way" by Nirvana, it's one of the less popular songs from "Nevermind" it's one of my favorites but i do agree that it get's very repetitive after a while.

Why, oh why didn't I recognize his voice? Guess I haven't listened to them in a while :(

Glad you liked it:)

i don't know if you say that because you already knew the song but i'll just write about either way. It's "Wide Awake On The Voyage Home" By Liam Finn, it was on his debut album "I'll Be Lightning" which you should definitely check out.

No. I haven't heard it before, and I will definitely look more into this one to!

This is "New Year's Day" by U2, it was their first hit single.

ahh..... of course! I feel like a fool:(

She is rather amazing, she's also really good live, Will and I saw her when she was in Tromsø(it was awesome!)

I know! He was the one who introduced me to her, I'll try to get tickets the next time she's in town:)

This is "The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel, and that is actually a guitar opening.

hmmmmm.......and I was so sure that was a harp, but now I can hear that it's a guitar:)

This is "Hotel Feelings" by Dikta, don't let the "nice" sound of the song fool you, he's actually singing about a murder!(:stunned:)

:D I like it though. Think I'll look more into it!

It's the only Neil Young song i generally listen too, i løv it

yeah! I's really good.

And that is....."All The Young Dudes" by Mott The Hoople, they were actually struggling and thinking of breaking up when David Bowie gave them this song and saved them.

As i said... I don't hate it, its just not my cup of tea!

This is "Anoyne Else But You" here sung by Michael Cera and Ellen Page but originally it was made by The Moldy Peaches, it was used a lot in the movie "Juno"(:heart:) so that might be where you know it from, it was also the first song i could play on the guitar.

ahh... you played this for me the last time i saw you, that's probably why I recognized it so easily!

Yes it is Icelandic, it's "Bólaheiðfall" by Nóra, i absolutely fell in love with this song during the summer, it was actually a lot of work to get it, but i had to have it on the mixtape

This was mainly why I thought you where my mixtape maker, you forgot to remove the picture and it's the same as you'r avatar:) But Susanne Sundfør also gave you away :) Btw. what was those Chinese or Japanese signs you put on the artist names?

It's "F*ck You" by Cee Lo Green, it's his new big hit over in the states.

I just like this song more, and more!

I'm glad you liked it :) here is the complete tracklisting:

1.You Keep Me Hangin' On – The Supremes

2.Walk On The Wild Side – Lou Reed

3.Flume – Bon Iver

4.Something In The Way – Nirvana

5.Bridge Over Troubled Water – Simon & Garfunkel

6.Wide Awake On The Voyage Home – Liam Finn

7.New Year's Day – U2

8.It's All Gone Tomorrow – Susanne Sundfør

9.The Boxer – Simon & Garfunkel

10.Hotel Feelings – Dikta

11.Heart Of Gold – Neil Young

12.All The Young Dudes – Mott The Hoople

13.Anyone Else But You – Michael Cera & Ellen Page

14.Bólaheiðfall – Nóra

15.F*ck You – Cee Lo Green

Thank you Egil :D

AH, RIGHT. My bad. But you don't want to make a tape someone won't like, surely.

To quote IVET's first post of the thread:

It's my 4th exchange, I *think* I know how it works... ;) The all point is to make discover the other person YOUR tastes that he might like/ or hate. If it's to copycat your partner taste, it's pointless! The lastfm thing has been added in rules since the last exchange in case people didn't know what to put in the tapes... :)

Hi mixtaper! (Firstly a warning - long complicated mixtape = LONG review!)

Firstly, I will say I was slightly freaked out (but at the same time really happy) to receive a mixtape clocking in at almost 1 hour 40 min, with 20 tracks. Much longer than I was expecting!

I LOVED that you called it “Life on Melancholy Hill” – I don’t know if it was because you noticed I’ve been going through a massive Gorillaz phase, or because you thought it would suit the feel of the mixtape (which it did, to a tee), or both, but anyway it really made me smile :D

The mixtape as a whole:

One of the things that had me captivated about this mixtape was that is was very obviously themed - imagine what it would be like to live on a place called Melancholy Hill, and you can imagine the sound of this mixtape!

It was very conceptual and I can't shake the feeling that there's a story in the mixtape that I can't quite grasp properly. The songs are all, more or less, about fear, melancholy (funnily enough) and monsters in the dark. Did you mean to make a story out of the tracks or am I just looking too far into it? I've always been bad at this sort of thing :P

Lots of strings, drama and very atmospheric songs.

Now to the tracks themselves:

1. A beautiful, haunting number with a really nice female voice, reminds me a little of Laura Marling (but I know it isn't). Love the inclusion of strings. "Melancholy" perfectly captures the feel of this song, one of my favourites on the tape and a great start!

2. Awesome cover of Arcade Fire’s “My Body is a Cage”. Includes some trumpets, lots of strings and even a clarinet! Once again a haunting feel to it. Very different to the original but I like it. The piano’s beautiful and the strings capture the drama of the song very well. Probably one of my favourite tracks on the tape.

3. Once again, lots of strings (I’m guessing my mixtaper likes strings??) An instrumental piece, quite pretty but a little sad.

4. This one wakes me up a bit after the last one with solid bassline and some spooky synths. Another instrumental piece, but much more lively than the last. I really like it, retro-sounding synths included.

5. This track and the last either just merge really well or they're from the same soundtrack, surely. Begins with sounds like fireworks far away, and the an electronic voice speaks a few words. The fireworks stop and suddenly I'm hearing a conversation between a male and female - I can't decide if they're both robots or not, but the male's voice sounds like Harrison Ford. Anyway, it sounds like an excerpt from a movie made long ago. As soon as the voice finishes there are more synths that sound like they belong in a movie made in the 70s or 80s (I don't know my movie eras very well :P) The rest is a very dramatic, synth-filled instrumental.

6. Distant base and piano start off the track. I welcome the addition of vocals in this song. Elbow, if I’m not mistaken? I only know “The Seldon Seen Kid” so don’t know any of their past stuff, but it definitely sounds like Guy Garvey. Anyway, the song isn't too complicated and another of my favourites on the mixtape.

7. The clap at the beginning of this one surprised me after those quieter songs! Nice male vocals, singing "baby I'm on my way". Some interesting sounds that fade to a deep voice chanting something that sounds familiar. It might just be the beat, that's familiar, though. Then some really happy synths start playing to end the song of in a... strange and unexpected way.

8. Haha, soundtrack from an old movie? It actually kinda sounds like voices from a few of different movies shoved together so they sound like they were meant to be together. Sounds like an old sci-fi. "Look,it’s in the trees! It’s coming! The Demon, it’s coming! Ahhhh!” :lol: And then a high-pitched female singing about being a coward, and things in the dark that aren’t real chasing her. “It’s coming for me, through the trees, help me someone” Not a big fan of her voice, although it’s very powerful. Kind of sounds like Kate Bush? That’s a complete guess though… I'm not sure if these two clips were originally placed liked this or if you did, but either way it was pretty clever ;)

9. A nice piano piece, drags on a little though.

10. Harps! More female vocals, sounds a little like the song girl singing as track 09, but a little nicer. Another slow number, with acoustic guitar, strings and some piano sprinkled in there. She sings about people coming to visit her in California.

11. Male vocals that sound like they're answering the girl's calls in the previous song. More piano and acoustic guitar. Not a huge fan of the vocals but they sound somewhat familiar.

12. Beautiful female vocals (sounds like the vocalist from track 01), singing a story about a beautiful girl who kills her lovers. A little dark, but I quite like the song.

13. Background humming and lots of interesting electronic sounds. Elbow/Guy Garvey song again, if I’m not mistaken! Lucky I like his voice.

14. One of the more cheerful moments of the mixtape. An American male voice, not a huge fan of his voice (I think it's the accent) but it’s not bad, and it's a nice break from the dark songs that have dominated the mixtape thus far.

15. Another instrumental, creepy piano and a few other creepy sounds. Makes me think of walking through a scary, deserted underground science lab where experiments have gone really wrong in the past... Really long silence at the end though, that goes for about a minute.

16. Uplifting beginning! Electric guitar and piano, and a singer with a really thick Scottish accent. I’m thinking Frightened Rabbit, but only because I don’t really know any other bands with such a thick accent. A slightly Christmas-themed song, though not as cheerful as your run-of-the-mill Christmas song, seeing as it's about a homeless man alone in the streets on Christmas Eve.

17. Guy Garvey again! A big fan of this man, are we? Or maybe I’m just getting mixed up and thinking every vocalist on this mixtape sounds like him?… pretty sure it’s him though. Really short song, only goes for like a minute. A very atmospheric song, with lots of reverb.

18. The beginning of this song makes me think of a cheesy soap opera. Another instrumental song, complete with xylophones. Probably the weakest instrumental on the mixtape and it drags on a little, but it's not completely terrible.

19. Left the album art on this one ;) not that it matters because I'd never heard of the artist or album before. A pretty simple track, with really creepy female vocals. Really creepy. She sings about 'staying alive.'

20. An excerpt from a documentary on whales… random. But hey, I learned a couple of things about whales that I didn't know. Certainly not what I expected to get out of this exchange! Weirdly, as I was listening to this all I could think of was the video for 'On Melancholy Hill', the part at the end where the manatee is dragged into the water :thinking:

THANK YOU for making this mixtape for me, I really enjoyed listening to it! If anything, it was a little long and dragged out at times. But then, the more I listened to it the less it felt like this. In any case, the amount of effort you put into this mixtape really shows through and I really, really appreciate it! It also contained a lot of music that I wouldn't normally listen to, so thanks for opening my eyes a little more to some artists I haven't heard before!

My favourites tracks were probably: 1, 2, 6 and 12, but there weren't many that I wouldn't listen to again.

This story thing is really bugging me, I can't shake the feeling you put these tracks together because they make a story. I feel like it's all there in my head but I'm having trouble linking it into a cohesive piece. All I know is it involves robots, monsters in the dark and at the end they all go and live in the sea with the whales :P

Now, I'm going to take a stab at who I think my mixtaper might be...

The Final Track?

Sorry my review was so long! Now, tracklisting please! :D

To my awesome mixtape creator: I'd rather listen to the tape 2-3 times before reviewing it :mellow: So be patient. I love the package, even if you made it impossible to play Windows Media Player cause the tracks will be like....

dfhgfgfd

edfhj34

dfghdfgjy

sfhtrdv

sdgtr

etc.

finally got a tape?