✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 7th Mixtape Exchange (1ST POST UPDATE)

ivet

Hi iPSy :D

Before posting the tracklist, I had made the tape like always, before I knew you would be my partner. When I knew it and checked your lastfm account, I found out you were kinda into the same artists :lol::lol: as me but...well, didn't change anything, just added a track and put another Paolo song :D

MY REVIEW:

TRACK 1- Ohh! I know this song! I know it from the Mark Ronson cover….and the Coldplay one! I really like this version. I presume this is the original version by the Smiths??? I think. Anyway the song is ‘Stop Me (If you think that you’ve heard this one before)’ :D Lovely opener.

Yeah, this is the original by The Smiths ^^ I don't know the Ronson cover (it hasn't arrived on the french shores...lol) but I really like the Smiths and I thought it would be funny starting the tape with a song that starts with "stop me if you think that you've heard this one before' :lol:

TRACK 2- The voice is instantly recognisable! It is Kings Of Leon but I don’t know what song it is, to be honest, I’ve only been listening to their recent stuff, I love their new album. This song is really nice.

Ahaha, it's on the new album!!! This is my favorite track on it, LOVE the bassline and it's called Pony up ^^

TRACK 3- LITTLE COMETS!!!!!!! Man! I missed the chance to go see them recently! Lovely song. I’ll sit back and relax to a cool new band who I’m sure will be going on to great things

'One night in October'. Love this song, it's so upbeat! I wanna jump everytime I hear it, I thought it would be a nice song to follow the Followill family ^^

TRACK 4- Strings…hmm…a female voice. One thing about me is that I barely ever listen to female singers, I don’t why, I’m not sexist or anything! Haha! But this is a lovely little ditty. I really want to know who this is.

This one is a lovely tune from the irish singer/songwriter Lisa Hannigan with 'I don't know' ^^ I saw you liked Damien Rice, then you know Lisa since it's her singing on 9 crimes, Volcano etc...I had the chance to see her perform with Tired Pony, she's amazing live!

TRACK 5- I recognise this voice….Ahhh! Who is it? Sounds a bit like…Noah and The Whale? I really love this song now, I mean REALLY like it. I really want to know who this is!

This is Noah and the Whale indeed! It's a new track 'L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N' they've just released for their next album.

TRACK 6- Don’t know who this is, I quite like it. It is my least favourite so far though.

Again, new track for yet to be released album. It's from Cold war kids, a band I really like, and the song is called 'Royal Blue'.

TRACK 7- Another female voice. Is it Florence in the machine??????? I don’t like it. Sorry.

Yep, my dear Florence with 'Swimming' :)

TRACK 8- Sounds like Elbow…I think! This is a nice song. Nice and uplifting.

Yep, Elbow!! I really like them and this one is an oldie, it's called 'Newborn' from their 1rst album.

TRACK 9- County!!! Sort of, is it that guy who sang ‘Trouble’ Ray something….I do really like this J

Yep, it's Ray LaMontagne with 'beg, steal or borrow'. It's playing a lot on the radio here and I really like though I don't know much about Ray.

TRACK 10- Female vocals…in a different language. French? Maybe?…and then PAOLO NUTINI! PAOLO FUCKING NUTINI! I love that man…it is definitely his! What the hell is this song? It is amazing. I listen to LOADS of Paolo Nutini but why do I not know this track???

:D I guess I might have seen you on the Paolo thread since I'm a massiv Paolo fan ^^ I always put a Paolo song on every exchange I did and I was at first going to put a cover he made but I saw your lastfm account and saw you were a big fan too. So I guessed you must know the covers but not this one :D It's a duet he made with a very famous french singer called Zazie, back when he released 'These streets' in France. Zazie loved his record and asked him to sang this song she wrote for them both. He agreed and this track is on Zazie's record but it's never been release otherwise. It's called 'Duo' (which means Duet)

TRACK 11- Don’t know who this is but I do like it, good harmonies at the end!

It's called 'Seeds of gold' from a french band (that sings in english) called AaRON (that stands for Artificials Animals Riding On Neverland). It's from the new record and I really love this track!

TRACK 12- KELE- Everything You Wanted. One of the better tracks from an average album. Whenever I listen to this song though I get it into my head for days!!!

All right, love the beat on that one!

TRACK 13- Start sounds like ‘Know Your Enemy’ by Green Day…but it’s not, haha. But it is SNOW PATROL, But I don’t know what song. I really like it though, I do need to delve into their back catalogue at some point.

I L-O-V-E Snow Patrol and I think that many of their most beautiful songs are hidden on their b-sides...This one is the b-side for Crack the shutters and it's called 'Cubicles'. I love the accoustic version of it they played in a little record store in Nashville. You can find it on youtube if you want ^^

TRACK 14- Cee Lo Green- Fuck You. I love this song, it’s amazing. Soooo funky!

Love it too and in here we hear this version on the radio *no censure* :D

TRACK 15- What is this song? It builds up and builds up into something massive. I really want to know what this is. One of the best on the mixtape.

Little discovery I made thx to Gary Lightbody's track of the month on Q magazine. The band is called 'A house for lions', they're a starting american band and opened for his 'other' band Tired Pony there. He reviewed another track of them on Q and rave about it. This track is called 'let back' from their first EP. The rest of it is in the same vein, it's really beautiful :)

http://www.myspace.com/ahouseforlions

TRACK 16- Biffy Clyro- Many Of Horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this song. I love Biffy Clyro. I was meant to see them last month…but I lost my ticket. It was not good.

Love Biffy too ^^ I know it's a given, but this is probably my favorite track of them (despite the recent X-Factor butechering :dozey: ). Anyway, I wanted to put a Biffy track and this one sums up well what Biffy is about: soft but also raw and intense. Violent but tender. Plus, musically I thought it would be a great track to close ^^

A REALLY GOOD MIXTAPE! Thank you very much. It was a pleasure to listen to even though I knew a fair few of the tracks.

My pleasure :)

TRACKLIST

1- Stop me if you think you've heard this one before - The Smiths

2- Pony up - Kings of Leon

3- One night in October - Little comets

4- I don't know - Lisa Hannigan

5- L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N - Noah & the whale

6- Royal Blue - Cold War Kids

7- Swimming - Florence+The Machine

8- Newborn - Elbow

9- Beg, steal or borrow - Ray LaMontagne

10- Duo - Zazie feat. Paolo Nutini

11- Seeds of gold - AaRON

12- Everything you wanted - Kele

13- Cubicles - Snow Patrol

14- Fuck you - Cee Lo Green

15- Let back - A house for lions

16- Many of horror - Biffy Clyro

LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?gje8ysyjlau8sb2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Review time :D

1- Starting with a soft, sweet tune with some xylo, harmonica, banjo and piano. Male voice, nice, compiled in 'layers'. The general feeling is bittersweet and atmospheric. Like it!

2-The sounds on the intro are kind weird but funny. I wonder how they make it?? Again, male singer with a mellow tune on accoustic guitar. The song is taking more and more 'grandeur' as it passes and becomes kinda epic. But I'm not a bit fan of it... It remind me of Sweeney Todd...dunno why.

3-Change of mood with some R'n'B. I'm not a big fan of that genre but is it Jay-Z??? Or Kayne?? Sorry, I'm not able to distinguish them, to me R'n'b singers all sound the same :facepalm: The second singer has a 'deeper' voice but dunno who this is either. Nice tune to listen distractly, but it will not go on my ipod.

4-Change of mood again with some nice, happy-feeling good tune. The guy has a nice voice ...sounds familiar though...Is that Sufjan Stevens???? And I love the drum beats parts *w*. This one is truly beautiful, I've fallen in love with it immediatly! Couldn't help but shaking head/taping feet!

5-This one is a quiet duet on accoustic guitar...The guy and girl have both nice voices .It remind me of the french band Cocoon, same feeling coming out of it. Nice.

6-Begining with some nice drums/bass combo (loooove that!!). Dunno the singer but he has voice easy to listen to. There is girl singing too, one the 'teenager in love with Christ and heaven(?)' on the chorus, she sound a bit like Zoe Deschanel from She&Him. This song sound a tiny bit like a Smith one (general feel of it), which is good to me ^^ Nice one again.

7-Change of mood with a more 'experimental' song. Can't decipher if the singer is a he or a she XD. Not a fan of that one.

8-Female singer! Some atmospheric/experimental tune mixed with I can't really describe it.... A mix between Bjork and Mew! She has a nice voice but I'm not totally smitten by her.

9-Back to accoustic guitar tune, male singer, joined by a nice electric guitar and piano a bit after. Nice mellow track.

10-Change of mood with a track that have a 70's feeling...the kind of 'lazy' track like Blondie. Female singer. This is ok. Funny the water sound at the end!

11-Back on accoustic guitar tune, country style. The guy has a nice deep voice suiting that kind of song. He sounds familiar though but I can't put my finger on it...Nice one.

12-Back on upbeat mode. Love the drum beat here but I don't like the girl's voice. She sounds a bit like Cindy Lauper. Too bad her voice annoys me (but it suits the lyrics well 'talking like a teen' :p ), the rest of the song is kinda nice.

13-Upbeat still, the intro sounds a bit like a Biffy one but change to a song that could have been from the Drums or that kind of bands. Not a big fan of the singers (a male and a woman join in on choruses). But the song is overall easy to listen to. It's radio friendly.

14-Back on quiet shore. Is he singing about the Vesuvio at the very begining?? It's a band 'song', kinda like 'I'm from Barcelona' but darker. Not a fan of this one, the synthe noise annoys me. Am I hallucinating or the choir are singing 'Sufjan' from time to time??? Is it a Sufjan Stevens song?? Judging by the weirdness...If it's him, I guess it must be from its last album (haven't listen to it but read it was..Experimental XD)

15-ahhh nice piano intro, like that! Nice soft rock tune but the lyrics are heartbreaking ('love is watching someone die'....). Not a big fan of the singer's voice but the song is very touching...T.T

16-Finally a song I know for having heard it so much on the radio ^^ And a one I really love, it's Angus and Julia Stone with Big jet plane. This is a cracker tune to close with. Really good choice!

So overall, a very nice tape! I really enjoyed it :) A lot of guitar/soft tunes but that's totally the kind of songs I'm listening at the moment, winter feeling :p I'm very curious about track 4 which was my little 'love at first sight'! <3

Anyway: big thanks!

YAY~

this one was mine :D

Glad you overall enjoyed it :wacko:

r09n39.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?spankh1mh33ugy9

As to everyone else,

if your mixtape hasn't been reviewed COUGHBRYCECOUGH, chill your tits, give them time :kiss:

+

Hopefully sometime this coming week i'll link all the reviews and the mixtapes to the front page *gets a head ache thinking about it*

:D

Yeah, when I made that mixtape I wasn't really thinking straight, so I just put some of the tracks I liked listening to at the time on it, so sorry 'bout that. ):

Shame you didn't like some of the times, with my finals rolling in this week, I honestly didn't have any time to see what your interests were.

I'm very well aware that most of the songs are pretty boring, but I tried not to be too predicable (looks like I didn't do a very good job of that :\).

If you want, I can remake it.

Hey, was wondering when you were gonna show up. No need to apologize, it wasn't a bad mixtape at all. Some of it just wasn't my cup of tea. No need to remake it, but could you maybe post the songlist?

Review:

Side A:

Track 1:
Good choice for an intro. I liked how intense it sounded and how the beginning was just instrumental and than the vocals came in.

Track 2:
I liked how this one sounded but it was kind of too slow. It wasn't boring, just slow.

Track 3:
I like the acoustic sound to this one. It's slow at first but I liked how it picked up speed during the chorus. It's an interesting song and I liked the lyrics.

Track 4:
Not sure what to think of this one. It was good but not a song that stuck out.

Track 5:
I enjoyed this one, the voice sounds familiar but I really liked the words to this one.

Track 6:
I really enjoyed this one as well, I liked his voice and the instruments sounded nice.

Track 7:
This one was a bit crazy and kind of obnoxious but it wasn't bad.

Side B:

Track 1:
I liked how this one started, the whole thing sounded great. I liked the lyrics and the voice of this singer.

Track 2:
This one was interesting, I liked how it was sung.

Track 3:
I liked the voice and I liked how it seemed to be a slow song from the beginning but was really a fast one.

Track 4:
Sounded different than the rest but I really liked it.

Track 5:
I liked that you put a slow song in after such fast paced ones, it kind of balanced it out a little.

Track 6:
I liked how this reminded me of older kind of music. Though it may be one.

Track 7:
I liked the beginning of it but for the most part I didn't really like this one. The instruments were great though.

Overall, it was a great mixtape and I enjoyed it but I felt it was too long. I liked how each song flowed into each other though and how they were similar.

Hopefully sometime this coming week i'll link all the reviews and the mixtapes to the front page *gets a head ache thinking about it*

:D

Good luck with that! :D

More seriously, THANKS for everything ivet. I can imagine all the hard work you had to and still have to do. We're all very grateful for that. :)

This mixtape exchange was so much fun! :)

Can't wait for the next one ;)

Review:

Side A:

Track 1:
Good choice for an intro. I liked how intense it sounded and how the beginning was just instrumental and than the vocals came in.

Track 2:
I liked how this one sounded but it was kind of too slow. It wasn't boring, just slow.

Track 3:
I like the acoustic sound to this one. It's slow at first but I liked how it picked up speed during the chorus. It's an interesting song and I liked the lyrics.

Track 4:
Not sure what to think of this one. It was good but not a song that stuck out.

Track 5:
I enjoyed this one, the voice sounds familiar but I really liked the words to this one.

Track 6:
I really enjoyed this one as well, I liked his voice and the instruments sounded nice.

Track 7:
This one was a bit crazy and kind of obnoxious but it wasn't bad.

Side B:

Track 1:
I liked how this one started, the whole thing sounded great. I liked the lyrics and the voice of this singer.

Track 2:
This one was interesting, I liked how it was sung.

Track 3:
I liked the voice and I liked how it seemed to be a slow song from the beginning but was really a fast one.

Track 4:
Sounded different than the rest but I really liked it.

Track 5:
I liked that you put a slow song in after such fast paced ones, it kind of balanced it out a little.

Track 6:
I liked how this reminded me of older kind of music. Though it may be one.

Track 7:
I liked the beginning of it but for the most part I didn't really like this one. The instruments were great though.

Overall, it was a great mixtape and I enjoyed it but I felt it was too long. I liked how each song flowed into each other though and how they were similar.

This was mine.

I'm surprised you thought it was long, I delibrately kept it short at 54 mins. It's probably the shortest mixtape I've done. :\ Anyway, I'm glad you liked it overall anyway considering the tape was tailored for someone else. :)

I had a list of songs picked out that I wanted to use, then when Ivet sent me the other person's name, I selected a few tracks from some beardy American and American mid-west sounding bands to put in there, based on his music tastes. Overall, I felt the mix was quite American (I usually make really Brit-rock feeling tapes) and it felt quite autumnal/wintry.

Side A:

Track 1: Good choice for an intro. I liked how intense it sounded and how the beginning was just instrumental and than the vocals came in.

Yeah, I felt this was a good intro altho it's not my fave song by them. I discovered these guys at a festival this summer and intense is a good word to describe them.

Kiss The Sun - Detroit Social Club

~

Track 2: I liked how this one sounded but it was kind of too slow. It wasn't boring, just slow.

I'd never thought of this being slow at all...this is one of the American bands I put on at the last minute. I love the guitars in this and the harmonies on the vocal.

Older - Band of Horses

~

Track 3: I like the acoustic sound to this one. It's slow at first but I liked how it picked up speed during the chorus. It's an interesting song and I liked the lyrics.

These are a Scottish band of four guitarists, so their music is very layered and they all seem to sing too so have very lovely Fleet Foxes-ey style harmonies. They do have interesting and clever lyrics.

Take Another Ride - Kassidy

~

Track 4: Not sure what to think of this one. It was good but not a song that stuck out.

Aw, shame you weren't that fussed. I am in love with this track at the moment. It's a cover of a 60s song by The Byrds by one of my absolute favourite bands. The backing vocals are totally gorgeous. :wacky:

I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better (The Byrds cover) - The Coral

~

Track 5: I enjoyed this one, the voice sounds familiar but I really liked the words to this one.

Ah the lovely Simon Neil, he's got a gorgeous vocal. This is starts as quite a calm and relaxing one and gets a bit heavier towards the end. Maybe you are familar with some of their recent singles but a lot of their stuff is quite rocky/screamey/expermental

As The Dust Dances - Biffy Clyro

~

Track 6: I really enjoyed this one as well, I liked his voice and the instruments sounded nice.

Hmmm another Scots band, actually this mix is more Scottish than I realised :lol: I love this song for the guitar at the beginning. The whole album is well worth a listen tho, they make very interesting and beautiful songs.

Let It Go - Unkle Bob

~

Track 7: This one was a bit crazy and kind of obnoxious but it wasn't bad.

Ahahaha yes! Obnoxious is the word :D Actually the track of theirs that I really wanted to put on here is even more obnoxious, but I didn't want to go over the top. They're been described as Vampire music by the very lovely man in my avatar. A Leicester band, kind of punky and grungey & a tiny bit mental. :wacky:

Diem - The Screening

~

Side B:

Track 1: I liked how this one started, the whole thing sounded great. I liked the lyrics and the voice of this singer.

This is a band I'm just getting into, I wanted a slightly older track on the mix and this made a nice intro to Side B.

Love Burns - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

~

Track 2: This one was interesting, I liked how it was sung.

Kassidy again, but a short little fun thing, that made a nice contrast with the more heavier tracks ahead of it. Beauifully peaceful little track.

Panic Day - Kassidy

~

Track 3: I liked the voice and I liked how it seemed to be a slow song from the beginning but was really a fast one.

Back to the USA now for more beardy folk rock and yet more harmonies, guitars and strings. I love the way this track seems to swell and get more layered as it goes on. This is such an amazing album, I'd reccommend a listen.

Who Knows Who Cares - Local Natives

~

Track 4: Sounded different than the rest but I really liked it.

Bit of a change of style. This is another new band for me, that I've not long discovered (via another mixtape exchange :thumbsup:). They make such pretty music, very atmospheric. They are Danish, but have a Simon and Garfunkel feel to them. If you liked this, I'd reccommend listening to The Balcony, it's a really beautiful song.

Passion - The Rumour Said Fire

~

Track 5: I liked that you put a slow song in after such fast paced ones, it kind of balanced it out a little.

Another one of the last minute additions. I find this band a little hit and miss, but this is one of their better ones. This is a really laidback track and the lyrics are full of imagary.

To Ohio - The Low Anthem

~

Track 6: I liked how this reminded me of older kind of music. Though it may be one.

No, they are a modern band tho they sound (and dress) like they are from the 50s. Again, I think they sound American, but they're actually from Sheffield. Their debut album'll be out early next year and I can't wait.

Backstreet Lovers - The Crookes

~

Track 7: I liked the beginning of it but for the most part I didn't really like this one. The instruments were great though.

I can see why this is an acquired taste, it's a bit unusual. I wanted an epic closer to finish and originally I had another track by The Coral to end the tape, but then I had a last minute change of mind, cos this one fitted my wintry frame of mind at the time. I do love this song tho, the guitars are epic towards the end, tho a few reviews of this album I read, said this track was too restrained, it should have been more epic apparently haha

Winters Call - Kula Shaker

---

Anyway, sorry for wittering on....here's the complete tracklist: Title ~ Artist (Year of Release) Album/EP

Side A:

1 - Kiss The Sun - Detroit Social Club (2010) Existence

2 - Older - Band of Horses (2010) Infinite Arms

3 - Take Another Ride - Kassidy (2010) The Rubbergum EP Vol 2

4 - I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better (The Byrds cover) - The Coral (2010) b-side on Walking in the Winter single

5 - As The Dust Dances - Biffy Clyro (2007) Puzzle

6 - Let It Go - Unkle Bob (2010) Shockwaves

7 - Diem - The Screening (2007) The Screening EP

Side B:

1 - Love Burns - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (2001) B.R.M.C.

2 - Panic Day - Kassidy (2010) The Rubbergum EP Vol 2

3 - Who Knows Who Cares - Local Natives (2009) Gorilla Manor

4 - Passion - The Rumour Said Fire (2010) The Arrogant

5 - To Ohio - The Low Anthem (2009) Oh My God, Charlie Darwin

6 - Backstreet Lovers - The Crookes (2010) Dreams of Another Day EP

7 - Winters Call - Kula Shaker (2010) Pilgrim's Progress

DOWNLOAD it now, people. You know you want to :P

iPSy[/color] :D

Before posting the tracklist, I had made the tape like always, before I knew you would be my partner. When I knew it and checked your lastfm account, I found out you were kinda into the same artists :lol::lol: as me but...well, didn't change anything, just added a track and put another Paolo song :D

TRACKLIST

1- Stop me if you think you've heard this one before - The Smiths

2- Pony up - Kings of Leon

3- One night in October - Little comets

4- I don't know - Lisa Hannigan

5- L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N - Noah & the whale

6- Royal Blue - Cold War Kids

7- Swimming - Florence+The Machine

8- Newborn - Elbow

9- Beg, steal or borrow - Ray LaMontagne

10- Duo - Zazie feat. Paolo Nutini

11- Seeds of gold - AaRON

12- Everything you wanted - Kele

13- Cubicles - Snow Patrol

14- Fuck you - Cee Lo Green

15- Let back - A house for lions

16- Many of horror - Biffy Clyro

LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?gje8ysyjlau8sb2

Of course it's Pony Up! God!!! Hahaha, to be fair recently I've just been listening to like the first half of Come Around Sundown, it's better than the second half in my opinion! :lol:

I'm happy that I guessed a lot of them- I feel like a bit of a music geek! hahahaa. But seriously a very good mixtape. I love that Noah and the whale song! And I've got some Cold War Kids on my iTunes, I've just barely listened to them! You've got a very good taste in music, I love being on Coldplaying with people with similar tastes in music to me because most of my friends in real life are into heavy metal/screamo etc. :laugh3:

Thanks again! :D

Hi mixtaper! (Firstly a warning - long complicated mixtape = LONG review!)

Suits me fine :D

Firstly, I will say I was slightly freaked out (but at the same time really happy) to receive a mixtape clocking in at almost 1 hour 40 min, with 20 tracks. Much longer than I was expecting!

Really? I have a tradition of about 20 tracks, but didn't realize it was this long.

I LOVED that you called it “Life on Melancholy Hill” – I don’t know if it was because you noticed I’ve been going through a massive Gorillaz phase, or because you thought it would suit the feel of the mixtape (which it did, to a tee), or both, but anyway it really made me smile :D

A little of both; I love the phrase Melancholy Hill, and saw it was a loved track on Last.fm.

The mixtape as a whole:

One of the things that had me captivated about this mixtape was that is was very obviously themed - imagine what it would be like to live on a place called Melancholy Hill, and you can imagine the sound of this mixtape!

That's actually what I thought of :P

It was very conceptual and I can't shake the feeling that there's a story in the mixtape that I can't quite grasp properly. The songs are all, more or less, about fear, melancholy (funnily enough) and monsters in the dark. Did you mean to make a story out of the tracks or am I just looking too far into it? I've always been bad at this sort of thing :P

Lots of strings, drama and very atmospheric songs.

Yes, but no, there's no actual story.

Now to the tracks themselves:

1. A beautiful, haunting number with a really nice female voice, reminds me a little of Laura Marling (but I know it isn't). Love the inclusion of strings. "Melancholy" perfectly captures the feel of this song, one of my favourites on the tape and a great start!

Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel. Probably one of the best songs of the year that went completely unnoticed outside Norway. A real pity, cause she's an amazing songwriter and this is just breathtaking.

2. Awesome cover of Arcade Fire’s “My Body is a Cage”. Includes some trumpets, lots of strings and even a clarinet! Once again a haunting feel to it. Very different to the original but I like it. The piano’s beautiful and the strings capture the drama of the song very well. Probably one of my favourite tracks on the tape.

One of the easiest accessible songs from Peter Gabriel's "Scrath My Back" cover album/project. His covers of Radiohead, Elbow and Bon Iver were awful and supposedly Thom Yorke is no longer speaking to him. This one, however, is great.

3. Once again, lots of strings (I’m guessing my mixtaper likes strings??) An instrumental piece, quite pretty but a little sad.

Apparatjik - Frozen Fingers. Strings are good if they're used right :P Here they are.

4. This one wakes me up a bit after the last one with solid bassline and some spooky synths. Another instrumental piece, but much more lively than the last. I really like it, retro-sounding synths included.

Røyksopp - The Fear from their newest album Senior. Got pretty grim reviews abroad.

5. This track and the last either just merge really well or they're from the same soundtrack, surely. Begins with sounds like fireworks far away, and the an electronic voice speaks a few words. The fireworks stop and suddenly I'm hearing a conversation between a male and female - I can't decide if they're both robots or not, but the male's voice sounds like Harrison Ford. Anyway, it sounds like an excerpt from a movie made long ago. As soon as the voice finishes there are more synths that sound like they belong in a movie made in the 70s or 80s (I don't know my movie eras very well :P) The rest is a very dramatic, synth-filled instrumental.

Actually the beginning (the robotic voice) is from the end of The Fear, I just edited it so it'd flow better. The track starts about where the conversation between Harrison Ford (yes, you were right :P) and Sean Young starts. It's from the Blade Runner soundtrack by Vangelis. So yeah, you've got a perfect description there.

6. Distant base and piano start off the track. I welcome the addition of vocals in this song. Elbow, if I’m not mistaken? I only know “The Seldon Seen Kid” so don’t know any of their past stuff, but it definitely sounds like Guy Garvey. Anyway, the song isn't too complicated and another of my favourites on the mixtape.

Elbow - Mercy Street. A part of the Scratch My Back project was for the other artists to cover Peter Gabriel back. This was Elbow's.

7. The clap at the beginning of this one surprised me after those quieter songs! Nice male vocals, singing "baby I'm on my way". Some interesting sounds that fade to a deep voice chanting something that sounds familiar. It might just be the beat, that's familiar, though. Then some really happy synths start playing to end the song of in a... strange and unexpected way.

Gayngs - The Walker. Not sure who the singer is, Gayngs is a 21 man band (including Justin "Bon Iver" Vernon) from Minnesota. As for the chanting it's part of the song, and the happy synths are paving way for the next track on the album (which by the way is brilliant).

8. Haha, soundtrack from an old movie? It actually kinda sounds like voices from a few of different movies shoved together so they sound like they were meant to be together. Sounds like an old sci-fi. "Look,it’s in the trees! It’s coming! The Demon, it’s coming! Ahhhh!” :lol: And then a high-pitched female singing about being a coward, and things in the dark that aren’t real chasing her. “It’s coming for me, through the trees, help me someone” Not a big fan of her voice, although it’s very powerful. Kind of sounds like Kate Bush? That’s a complete guess though… I'm not sure if these two clips were originally placed liked this or if you did, but either way it was pretty clever ;)

The soundclip is an extract from a 50's horror movie called "Night Of The Demon" and the song is a cover of Kate Bush's "Hounds Of Love" by Eivør Palsdottir. Actually, now you've made me unsure cause that actually sounds a hell of a lot like Kate :anxious:

Anyway, in the original there's only the "It's in the trees, it's coming!" bit, so I though I'd use a bit more.

9. A nice piano piece, drags on a little though.

Vangelis - Piano In An Empty Room, from the Blade Runner soundtrack. I actually agree with you there.

10. Harps! More female vocals, sounds a little like the song girl singing as track 09, but a little nicer. Another slow number, with acoustic guitar, strings and some piano sprinkled in there. She sings about people coming to visit her in California.

Well, track 09 was instrumental :P Not the usual response when someone hears Joanna Newsom for the first time. The song is called In California.

11. Male vocals that sound like they're answering the girl's calls in the previous song. More piano and acoustic guitar. Not a huge fan of the vocals but they sound somewhat familiar.

That's Mr. Vernon aka Bon Iver singing, but the song is off Anaïs Mitchell's folk opera Hadestown where he sings as Orpheus.

12. Beautiful female vocals (sounds like the vocalist from track 01), singing a story about a beautiful girl who kills her lovers. A little dark, but I quite like the song.

Same girl, actually. Susanne Sundfør - Knight Of Noir. Her whole album has this undescribable mood. Melancholic would be most accurate, but it has something more.

13. Background humming and lots of interesting electronic sounds. Elbow/Guy Garvey song again, if I’m not mistaken! Lucky I like his voice.

You're not, Flat Of The Blade off Massive Attack's new album Heligoland. Featuring Mr. Garvey.

14. One of the more cheerful moments of the mixtape. An American male voice, not a huge fan of his voice (I think it's the accent) but it’s not bad, and it's a nice break from the dark songs that have dominated the mixtape thus far.

This will be one of the only times Eels will ever be considered a break from dark songs. Song is "What I Have To Offer".

15. Another instrumental, creepy piano and a few other creepy sounds. Makes me think of walking through a scary, deserted underground science lab where experiments have gone really wrong in the past... Really long silence at the end though, that goes for about a minute.

Oh, sorry, I swear I edited that! Lunz - Wobbly Flu Twilight.

16. Uplifting beginning! Electric guitar and piano, and a singer with a really thick Scottish accent. I’m thinking Frightened Rabbit, but only because I don’t really know any other bands with such a thick accent. A slightly Christmas-themed song, though not as cheerful as your run-of-the-mill Christmas song, seeing as it's about a homeless man alone in the streets on Christmas Eve.

It is? I didn't realize that :lol: It's very Scottish but not Frightened Rabbit. It's Glasvegas, from their Christmas EP "A Snowflake Fell And It Felt Like A Kiss". That's a long time ago so they should have another album out soon...

17. Guy Garvey again! A big fan of this man, are we? Or maybe I’m just getting mixed up and thinking every vocalist on this mixtape sounds like him?… pretty sure it’s him though. Really short song, only goes for like a minute. A very atmospheric song, with lots of reverb.

We are :D Elbow this time. A Regret, one of the Grounds For Divorce b-sides.

18. The beginning of this song makes me think of a cheesy soap opera. Another instrumental song, complete with xylophones. Probably the weakest instrumental on the mixtape and it drags on a little, but it's not completely terrible.

Really? I think it's lovely. Røyksopp again, Coming Home.

19. Left the album art on this one ;) not that it matters because I'd never heard of the artist or album before. A pretty simple track, with really creepy female vocals. Really creepy. She sings about 'staying alive.'

I did? Damn, I was having some trouble with the album art, so I attached one picture over all of them. Must've missed this one. It's Eivør again, Stay In The Light. A fitting conclusion I think.

20. An excerpt from a documentary on whales… random. But hey, I learned a couple of things about whales that I didn't know. Certainly not what I expected to get out of this exchange! Weirdly, as I was listening to this all I could think of was the video for 'On Melancholy Hill', the part at the end where the manatee is dragged into the water :thinking:

Long story.

THANK YOU for making this mixtape for me, I really enjoyed listening to it! If anything, it was a little long and dragged out at times. But then, the more I listened to it the less it felt like this. In any case, the amount of effort you put into this mixtape really shows through and I really, really appreciate it! It also contained a lot of music that I wouldn't normally listen to, so thanks for opening my eyes a little more to some artists I haven't heard before!

You're very welcome :D I'm glad you listened to it more than once and that you enjoyed it. I put a lot of work into it, cause I really love working on mixtapes, and I want to make them perfect. I usually send it to two or three others as well.

My favourites tracks were probably: 1, 2, 6 and 12, but there weren't many that I wouldn't listen to again.

:lol:

This story thing is really bugging me, I can't shake the feeling you put these tracks together because they make a story. I feel like it's all there in my head but I'm having trouble linking it into a cohesive piece. All I know is it involves robots, monsters in the dark and at the end they all go and live in the sea with the whales :P

No, but I did make you think and that was intentional.

Now, I'm going to take a stab at who I think my mixtaper might be...

The Final Track?

Being an Elbow fanatic, a Frightened Rabbit fan and having had ItsInTheTreesItsComing as my costom user title for a month may have contributed to the guess, but what exactly?

Sorry my review was so long! Now, tracklisting please! :D

And a well written review it was :D

Life on Melancholy Hill

1. Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel | The Brothel

2. Peter Gabriel - My Body Is A Cage | Scratch My Back

3. Apparatjik - Frozen Fingers |

4. Røyksopp - The Fear | Senior *

5. Vangelis - Blush's Response | Blade Runner OST *

6. Elbow - Mercy Street | Mercy Street/Mirrorball *

7. Gayngs - The Walker | Relayted **

8. Eivør - Hounds Of Love | Larva **

9. Vangelis - Piano In An Empty Room | Blade Runner OST *

10. Joanna Newsom - In California | Have One On Me

11. Anaïs Mitchell with Justin Vernon - If It's True | Hadestown

12. Susanne Sundfør - Knight Of Noir | The Brothel

13. Massive Attack with Guy Garvey - Flat Of The Blade | Heligoland

14. Eels - What I Have To Offer | Tomorrow Morning

15. Lunz - Wobbly Flu Twilight | ? *

16. Glasvegas - Cruel Moon | A Snowflake Fell And It Felt Like A Kiss EP

17. Elbow - A Regret | Grounds For Divorce single

18. Røyksopp - Coming Home | Senior

19. Eivør - Stay In The Light | Larva

20. Whale Documentary

* indicates edit

**contain sound from the 1957 movie "The Night Of The Demon" and have been edited.

Link:

OKAY, my review is here:

(sorry, it's a bit short, I have a cold and I wanna go to bed soon)

mixg.jpg

Track 1 -

This is nice, I like this one. Nice intro, has a kind of Kings of Leon feel about it in the beginning then the distorted guitar reminds me of The Black Keys. Sounds American. Not quite sure on the guy's vocal, it doesn't quite suit the song enough, it'd be better with a stronger vocal. This is a good track tho, I'd be interested to hear more from this band.

Track 2 -

Interesting beginning, nice sound-bite there. Track kicks off with a good beat, sounding fun and playful. Almost a muted vocal tho, bit dreary but quite nice, the contrast works well.

Track 3 -

Another decent track, nothing out of the ordinary but it is nice. Foot-tapping.

Track 4 -

Good start, funky bassline, raw and dirty guitar. Musically I really like this, but the vocals I don't like. It's that semi-punk style vocal, kind of like the Wombats/Futureheads, that sort of angry/punctuated vocal that I don't much care for. Towards the end it sounds almost the same as a track by The Wonder Stuff called Good Night Though from 1989 (the "goodbye, goodbye, goodbye" bit). So I'd be interested to know how old your track is.

Track 5 -

Better vocals, sounds a bit like James Dean Bradfield. Quite a laidback sort of track, kinda sleepy. Like it.

Track 6 -

Pace picks up a little now. This is what Yeasayer would sound like if they went all rocky. That synth-ey distorted guitar rhythm reminds me of O.N.E. by yeasayer. I like this, especially when the guitar really kicks off and goes a bit mental and quite grungey.

Track 7 -

Ooooh this is sweet. I love the steel/country guitar on this, reminds me of an artist I like called Neville Skelly, he writes tracks like this, with a slight country/folk edge to it. I'm interested to know who this is.

Track 8 -

Instrumental. Quite nice & atmospheric , makes a nice little interlude but I kept expecting it to go somewhere or do something but it never actually did. Reminds me of an Apparatjik track, Frozen Fingers.

Track 9 -

Slow start and I'm thinking "oh ok, another instrumental, hmmm" then the vocal pops up, I like this track, it's an epic long one at 10 mins but one that builds well. It's just that coming so close after the other long one of #6 makes it seem a little like overkill. Out of the two, I prefer number 6 but this one is good too. I like the piano and the way that the guitar builds, but it's a couple of minutes too long, temptingly skippable.

Track 10 -

Ooooh this is different. Finger clicks, vocal harmonies, this is sweet. Reminds me of a Scottish band I got into recently, Kassidy, they do a lot of the harmonies like this. Again, I'd be interested to hear more from these.

Overall, the mix has a great flow, you did well with the ordering. A small criticism would be the similarity of quite a lot of the tracks; there's plenty of bits that I really liked but not one whole song that stood out and made me go "Wow". But on the other hand, I liked all the tracks (I just didn't fall in love with any of them, sorry, apart from maybe Track 7 now that I've played it over a few more times). I didn't recognise anything, nor was I spoilered either, which is always a good thing :)

Highlights: Track 1, the last 2 mins of Track 6, Track 7, Track 10

And nice artwork btw :D

Thanks for the tape, I look forward to seeing the tracklist and finding out who you are :thumbsup:

Hi there! I made your tape, glad you liked it overall :) Here's the tracklist:

1- The Black Angels- Young Men Dead (Passover, 2006)

Quite a beast of a track this, really grabs you from the opening bassline. They're a psychedelic rock band from Texas. I noticed you like The Black Keys and BRMC, so I thought you might enjoy this.

2- The Radio Dept. Heaven's on Fire (Clinging To A Scheme. 2010)

Shoegaze/pop band from Sweden. This track always puts me in a good mood, its off their latest album, which was one of my favourite releases this year.

3- Deerhunter- Never Stops (Microcastle, 2008)

I would still recommend you check this guys out, even if this didn't do that much for you. They've released 3 terrific albums. If you're interested, check out their latest one, Halycon Digest :)

4- Gang of Four- Damaged Goods (Entertainment!, 1979)

One of the seminal punk bands, off their classic debut. Everyone from Bloc Party to Franz Ferdinand has been influenced by these cats. I understand about the vocals, though; that's usually what puts people off punk.

5- The Walkmen- We've Been Had (Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me is Gone, 2002)

The Walkmen appeared around the same time as the big New York scene with The Strokes and Interpol, but never got the same coverage. They're similar to The National in that they have cynical humour in their lyrics. The singer has a timeless quality to his voice, even though he sounds like a drunk :P Also! If you're interested, check out their song The Rat which I think is one of the best singles of the last decade. I'm rambling a little I know, but I really think these guys deserve more love :P

6- Ted Leo and the Pharmacists- St. John the Divine (The Tyranny of Distance, 2004)

Ted Leo has been writing great rock music since the late 90s, and he does play a mean guitar, as you noticed. The Tyranny of Distance, the album this is taken from, is a good place to start.

7- The Clientele- The Queen of Seville (God Save the Clientele, 2007)

Really, really happy you liked this! Super underrated band from London. They make great reverb-rich dream pop. I highly recommend them :)

8- Tim Hecker- Chimeras (Harmony in Ultraviolet, 2006)

I'm not too into ambient music, but I really love this track. I find it very haunting and beautiful.

9- Crippled Black Phoenix- We Forgotten Who We Are (I, Vigilante, 2010)

A band made up of musicians from many other bands, including Mogwai. This track absolutely blew my socks off when I first heard it.

10- TV on the Radio- Mr. Grieves (Young Liars EP, 2003)

Rap, rock, electronica, TV on the Radio can do anything! Including A Capella covers of a Pixies song :P I recommend everything these guys have done. Truly great band.

I really enjoyed making this tape and I'm glad you liked it overall. I did consider adding a couple more tracks to it, but I liked the flow and order of it (which you picked up on) so decided against it.

So, thanks for listening and reviewing and get well soon! :nice:

Here's the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F8QGKXZT

Review time!

let's get this ship sailing:

Track 1: Very relaxing piano opening, some kind of flute in the background and a harp(i think), suddenly drums? didn't expect that. This isn't my usual cup of tea, but i'm actually rather enjoying this.

Track 2: I don't know what instrument they're using to fade in but it's cool. It's a duet, I like their voices, the keyboard is nice. I don't know why but this made me feel kind of christmassy.

Track 3: keyboard and and something that sounds alarmingly like crickets chirping, that radio baby voice is creepy, the mans voice however is rather relaxing. it changes a lot after the instrumental break. i like this song.

Track 4: this is different, the opening is kind of dark and gloomy, a mans voice, and a distorted guitar. Strange song, very "moody". i like this one too.

Track 5: this sounds familiar, energetic guitar and a British singer, he's seems to be singing about a beach. i'm staring to think i'll like all the songs on this mixtape.

Track 6: Synth opening, a mans voice, not really a voice i like. this song is ok not something i'm going to be listening to more but it's ok.

Track 7: drums, guitar picking and a womans voice, the first minute and a half gets rather repetitive and the chorus isn't very different. there's finally some change in the last minute, but not much. Overall a good song, just a bit too repetitive for me.

Track 8: Neat little guitar opening and a female voice and drums, nice little chorus. The lyrics aren't very happy from what i can hear. this one i really like.

Track 9: Guitar opening very plain strumming and and at least 2 people singing, not much else to say about this song. Enjoyable song.

Track 10: some strings.

Track 11: somebody's playing a lute or something like that and drums. There are a lot of little sounds in this song. The instrumental break is amusing to be honest.

Track 12:this sounds a bit like a cheap recording, not a very "proffesional" sound if you will. It's not bad by any means, just very simple and plain.

Track 13: this is very different with the synth and drums and whatnot, i like the song but i don't really like the instruments or the voice. Rather perverted chorus.

Track 14: just a bunch of noises, drums and claps.

Track 15: guitar and percussion opening, they di out about midway through and are replaced by an acoustic guitar and some voices. So they finally decided to sing huh, too bad i can't understand a word they're saying.

Track 16: This guitar opening sounds familiar somehow, then there is a bass drum. And throw some synth in there for good measure. I'm not a big fan of instrumental songs and this was barely an exception, not too bad, not too good either.

Track 17: here we are, the final track and it starts with some very delicate piano playing and some strings i believe, a man i think is singing with some kind of aid to give him a robot's voice and now it's just over. Not a bad song, but not a very good choice to end the mixtape with in my opinion.

Overall I think it was a little long, however i still like this mixtape a lot, well done!:thumbsup:

I'm happy that I guessed a lot of them- I feel like a bit of a music geek! hahahaa. But seriously a very good mixtape. I love that Noah and the whale song!

They put another one 'wild thing' on their website (click on play on the tape)

http://www.noahandthewhale.com/

I really love it, it has an 'explosion in the skye' feel through it. :heart: I'm very excited about their new album!

And I've got some Cold War Kids on my iTunes, I've just barely listened to them!

I love Nathan's voice, it's so powerful and he conveys such heavy emotions with it...Kinda like Caleb's KOL.

You've got a very good taste in music, I love being on Coldplaying with people with similar tastes in music to me because most of my friends in real life are into heavy metal/screamo etc. :laugh3:

I freaked out a little when I saw your lastfm account, I thought 'ohoh..musical clone'... :dizzy: but in the end, I'm glad you enjoyed the mix :)

A little of both; I love the phrase Melancholy Hill, and saw it was a loved track on Last.fm.

:heart:

That's actually what I thought of :P

Well it was well translated!

Yes, but no, there's no actual story.

Haha, my bad :embarrassed:

Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel. Probably one of the best songs of the year that went completely unnoticed outside Norway. A real pity, cause she's an amazing songwriter and this is just breathtaking.

Yeah, this is one artist I'm definitely going to look into!

One of the easiest accessible songs from Peter Gabriel's "Scrath My Back" cover album/project. His covers of Radiohead, Elbow and Bon Iver were awful and supposedly Thom Yorke is no longer speaking to him. This one, however, is great.

Guess I won't look too much into this one then... :P

Well, track 09 was instrumental :P Not the usual response when someone hears Joanna Newsom for the first time. The song is called In California.

Oops, I meant track 08! :P

It is? I didn't realize that :lol: It's very Scottish but not Frightened Rabbit. It's Glasvegas, from their Christmas EP "A Snowflake Fell And It Felt Like A Kiss". That's a long time ago so they should have another album out soon...

I think so, if you listen closely enough to the lyrics :D

I did? Damn, I was having some trouble with the album art, so I attached one picture over all of them. Must've missed this one. It's Eivør again, Stay In The Light. A fitting conclusion I think.

That's interesting, because none of the tracks had album art except this one! What was the picture you tried to put over the rest of them?

Long story.

Haha, I'd love to know it :lol:

You're very welcome :D I'm glad you listened to it more than once and that you enjoyed it. I put a lot of work into it, cause I really love working on mixtapes, and I want to make them perfect. I usually send it to two or three others as well.

Like I said, the amount of work you put into it really showed, so thank you!

No, but I did make you think and that was intentional.

You definitely did!

Being an Elbow fanatic, a Frightened Rabbit fan and having had ItsInTheTreesItsComing as my costom user title for a month may have contributed to the guess, but what exactly?

:lol: Can't say I actually noticed the user title. But I know you're a huge Elbow and Frightened Rabbit fan. Plus I downloaded your mixtape last exchange and it had a title, and this one obviously had a title, which I think was the first point of giveaway. And the fact that it had a theme, and... I don't know, I just had a feeling it was you, even though I guess I don't really know you :shrug:

And a well written review it was :D

Aww, thanks :blush:

Life on Melancholy Hill

1. Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel | The Brothel

2. Peter Gabriel - My Body Is A Cage | Scratch My Back

3. Apparatjik - Frozen Fingers |

4. Røyksopp - The Fear | Senior *

5. Vangelis - Blush's Response | Blade Runner OST *

6. Elbow - Mercy Street | Mercy Street/Mirrorball *

7. Gayngs - The Walker | Relayted **

8. Eivør - Hounds Of Love | Larva **

9. Vangelis - Piano In An Empty Room | Blade Runner OST *

10. Joanna Newsom - In California | Have One On Me

11. Anaïs Mitchell with Justin Vernon - If It's True | Hadestown

12. Susanne Sundfør - Knight Of Noir | The Brothel

13. Massive Attack with Guy Garvey - Flat Of The Blade | Heligoland

14. Eels - What I Have To Offer | ?

15. Lunz - Wobbly Flu Twilight | ? *

16. Glasvegas - Cruel Moon | A Snowflake Fell And It Felt Like A Kiss EP

17. Elbow - A Regret | Grounds For Divorce single

18. Røyksopp - Coming Home | Senior

19. Eivør - Stay In The Light | Larva

20. Whale Documentary

* indicates edit

**contain sound from the 1957 movie "The Night Of The Demon" and have been edited.

There's a couple of artists here who I have been meaning to check out, and a few who I will definitely be looking more into!

Again, a big thank you! :hug:

Hi there! I made your tape, glad you liked it overall :) Here's the tracklist:

I really enjoyed making this tape and I'm glad you liked it overall. I did consider adding a couple more tracks to it, but I liked the flow and order of it (which you picked up on) so decided against it.

So, thanks for listening and reviewing and get well soon! :nice:

Here's the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F8QGKXZT

You're welcome and I already feel a little better thank you. :cheesy:

I think I will check out The Black Angels y'know and I definatley will check out the Clientele :thumbsup: I bought a TV on The Radio album once, Dear Science was it? I wasn't really that impressed but maybes I should listen again.

Thanks again for the tape :)

Ok so that mixtape , Just songs ?

what else would you put on it... :uhoh:

A whale documentary. Idk.

You told me the exact same thing when I asked a few months back :lol:

My brain doesn't grow :disappointed:

Quote:

20. An excerpt from a documentary on whales… random. But hey, I learned a couple of things about whales that I didn't know. Certainly not what I expected to get out of this exchange! Weirdly, as I was listening to this all I could think of was the video for 'On Melancholy Hill', the part at the end where the manatee is dragged into the water

Long story.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! you crack me up:laugh3:

OK, Mixtape Maker.

I apologize for taking so long to get the review posted. And I also apologize in advance for how quick and low-quality it's going to be. I'd love to sit and write a ton, but I am seriously not going to have time to do that until after Christmas. :( I'm sorry.

With that said...

1. starts with soft, acoustic guitar. sounds folkish; almost a little Avett Brothers-esque, especially the vocals. Like this!

That's actually Justin Vernon, lead singer of Bon Iver. I think it's one of the best opening songs for some reason, so I thought I'd kick the tape off with this one. the song comes from his solo EP 'Hazeltons'. You should really check it out if you'rs a Bon Iver fan. My partner last year did that, and she even put him on her mixtape this year :P

2. This one has a familiar sound... maybe kind of Travis-like? I like the vocals and harmonies, but am not too fond of the guitar.

Head Home - Midlake. This was one of the songs I didn't plan on putting on the mixtape, but had to because of circumstances (read above the tracklisting. It's just one of those songs I can really enjoy when it randomly passes on my Ipod. Not close to being my favourite song ever, but enjoyable.

3. I believe this is Ray LaMontagne, though I don't know which song. I :heart: Ray LaMontagne. If it's not him, I :heart: whoever this guy is.

Indeed! Ray LaMontagne. I knew you knew him, but saw on your last.fm profile that you didn't know this song, but to me this is his best song. It's just such an atmospheric song. Love it! Good to know you really love Ray! He's so underrated imo. Going to see him in february for the second time btw. I remeber the first time I saw him and he started playing this, just goosbumps everywhere like I've never had before (and I saw Coldplay live twice)? Just saying.

4. This one's more upbeat... "it's much too late to talk the knife out of their hands..." I like this one.

The latest thoughs by Okkervil River. It's not my favourite song by them, but the other ones wouldn't fit and this is actually a great song to get to know them. I only love a few songs by them, but the ones I do love surely belong in my top 10 of all time. Be sure to check those out (they're called 'For real', and 'Another radio song')

5. A female vocalist. Don't know this one either. Her voice is pretty and rough at the same time. has kind of a haunting sound. Like. Like the melody.

I was a but scared for this one, because it's a bit of a moodbreaker, and I can imagine people having a lot of trouble with the beginning. But once the chorus starts, it just bursts into emotion to me. Great song to listen to on the bus :P The artist is Lissie and I discovered her this year. Not all her songs are my thing, but she surely is talented.

6. Is this Keane? I *think* it sounds like them, though if it is, it's off of one of the last two albums, because I don't know it. :) I do like, though. Has much more guitar and drums than previous songs.

It's actually Kashmir (I think it's a bit rough to be Keane :P) I thought you'd enjoy a bit rougher music too. So I put this one in; I love this song and this band. They're the black sheep of my music. it's all very mellow and they often bring hard rock music (at least to me, I'm not used to a lot of hard music). Their last album is just wonderdul, but their most beloved album is Zilities (which is also a bit softer). Be sure to check them out, they're awesome.

7. Starts with piano... which is almost always a good thing for me! :) Vocals feel a bit familiar, but I don't think I've heard this band before. "...when you're homesick, give me your hand and I'll hold it...." Like this one, too.

Cherry ghost ! Another underestimated band. They're awesome. Their other songs are not always like this, but 'a month of mornings' is another perfect song by them.

8. This is David Gray. I tend to like David Gray, even though I don't own any of his stuff.

I didn't see David Gray in your last.fm artists, but it's good that you know him. He's such a great musician. I think I don't dislike a single song of him. It was very hard to pick just one so I just took the songs that got me into looking him up. It's not his best, but surely a great song.

9. Drums, and understated male vocals. "...nothing gives me pleasure like you do..." Not bad. Not my favorite, but definitely not bad.

Nothing give me pleasure - Josh Rouse. Another great artist. This is one of his older songs, and I really like how the song just kicks in when you're not expecting it. It always brings me in a great mood. His other music is more mellow.

10. Do I hear accents? I can't tell. I definitely haven't heard this before. It's OK.

Abysnthe Minded, a Belgian band. I really can't stand them, but this is just a great song. It was based on a poem of our most famous poet, and the result is just really catchy. It's just another song I put in there because I almost had no other options. And to make a Belgian band a bit more known. Go Belgium go !

11. This song starts off sounding like Editors or some similar group. Driving beat. Like the instrumentation. Female vocals are a little jarring at first. This one has grown on me. I didn't like it much when I first heard it, but the more I listen, the more I'm liking it.

This is Hurt me by The Jezabels. A fairly unknown band but they are just great. They've made 3 EP's the last year, and they just can't make bad songs. Be sure to check them out! They could use every bit of attention and you probably won't regret.

12. back to acoustic guitar and a sweet, but imperfect voice. "... you can blow my mind so easily". Lovely.

So glad you like this one. It's my tearjerker song. Not that I have cried to it, but I think it would get me there one day :P. I wasn't able to check out other stuff from this guy, because he is so unknown and has a pretty common name (David Hopkins), so I can't tell you what his other music is like.

13. I really like the mood and sound of this one. It's a quiet way to end the tape, but I think it's probably one of my favorites on here. :) Though, it ends kind of abruptly, and what's the xylophone doing at the end? :wacko:

Moehahahaha. This is Justin Vernon again :smug: rom the same Ep as the first song

Thank you, Mixtape Maker! I didn't know a single song, which means I've been exposed to a lot of new music! Overall, it was stuff that I haven't heard, but that falls into line with the type of music I like. I'm anxious to see the tracklisting! Thanks again, and I apologize for the delay in my review!

(Sorry for the late reply but I haven't been home since you posted this). This was actually a hard one to make, since you had Marie as a partner last year (and a lot of the things she put in the mixtape are songs I showed her, so I couldn't put them on there). So it's not my top mixtape, but I think it pretty much shows my musical tastes. I'm glad you liked it though, and you really should check some artists/bands out.

Happy holidays and here's the tracklisting:

1) Hazeltons - Justin Vernon

2) Head Home - Midlake

3) I Still Care For You - Ray Lamontagne

4) The Latest Toughs - Okkervil River

5) Here Before - Lissie

6) Pursuit Of Misery - Kashmir

7) People Help The People - Cherry Ghost

8) Hospital Food - David Gray

9) Nothing Gives Me Pleasure - Josh Rouse

10) Envoi - Absynthe Minded

11) Hurt Me - The Jezabels

12) Amber And Green - David Hopkins

13) Liner - Justin Vernon

Download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yy2uacohryiaz5h

^^And that's your long story.

Guess I won't look too much into this one then... :P

Nono, his post-Genesis stuff is legendary! Like Solsbury Hill.

That's interesting, because none of the tracks had album art except this one! What was the picture you tried to put over the rest of them?

It was an older entry in the exhibiton room, I can find it if you want.

Haha, I'd love to know it :lol:

Lets just say it's a joke :P

Like I said, the amount of work you put into it really showed, so thank you!

You're welcome and thanks :)

:lol: Can't say I actually noticed the user title. But I know you're a huge Elbow and Frightened Rabbit fan. Plus I downloaded your mixtape last exchange and it had a title, and this one obviously had a title, which I think was the first point of giveaway. And the fact that it had a theme, and... I don't know, I just had a feeling it was you, even though I guess I don't really know you :shrug:

Ah, and there's that.

There's a couple of artists here who I have been meaning to check out, and a few who I will definitely be looking more into!

Again, a big thank you! :hug:

:nice: Some people are satisfying to cook for.

finally got a tape?

I did :D

Review time!

let's get this ship sailing:

Track 1: Very relaxing piano opening, some kind of flute in the background and a harp(i think), suddenly drums? didn't expect that. This isn't my usual cup of tea, but i'm actually rather enjoying this.

Track 2: I don't know what instrument they're using to fade in but it's cool. It's a duet, I like their voices, the keyboard is nice. I don't know why but this made me feel kind of christmassy.

Track 3: keyboard and and something that sounds alarmingly like crickets chirping, that radio baby voice is creepy, the mans voice however is rather relaxing. it changes a lot after the instrumental break. i like this song.

Track 4: this is different, the opening is kind of dark and gloomy, a mans voice, and a distorted guitar. Strange song, very "moody". i like this one too.

Track 5: this sounds familiar, energetic guitar and a British singer, he's seems to be singing about a beach. i'm staring to think i'll like all the songs on this mixtape.

Track 6: Synth opening, a mans voice, not really a voice i like. this song is ok not something i'm going to be listening to more but it's ok.

Track 7: drums, guitar picking and a womans voice, the first minute and a half gets rather repetitive and the chorus isn't very different. there's finally some change in the last minute, but not much. Overall a good song, just a bit too repetitive for me.

Track 8: Neat little guitar opening and a female voice and drums, nice little chorus. The lyrics aren't very happy from what i can hear. this one i really like.

Track 9: Guitar opening very plain strumming and and at least 2 people singing, not much else to say about this song. Enjoyable song.

Track 10: some strings.

Track 11: somebody's playing a lute or something like that and drums. There are a lot of little sounds in this song. The instrumental break is amusing to be honest.

Track 12:this sounds a bit like a cheap recording, not a very "proffesional" sound if you will. It's not bad by any means, just very simple and plain.

Track 13: this is very different with the synth and drums and whatnot, i like the song but i don't really like the instruments or the voice. Rather perverted chorus.

Track 14: just a bunch of noises, drums and claps.

Track 15: guitar and percussion opening, they di out about midway through and are replaced by an acoustic guitar and some voices. So they finally decided to sing huh, too bad i can't understand a word they're saying.

Track 16: This guitar opening sounds familiar somehow, then there is a bass drum. And throw some synth in there for good measure. I'm not a big fan of instrumental songs and this was barely an exception, not too bad, not too good either.

Track 17: here we are, the final track and it starts with some very delicate piano playing and some strings i believe, a man i think is singing with some kind of aid to give him a robot's voice and now it's just over. Not a bad song, but not a very good choice to end the mixtape with in my opinion.

Overall I think it was a little long, however i still like this mixtape a lot, well done!:thumbsup:

That was mine! :cheesy: Wow, you didn't know any of the songs, and I'm glad you liked most of them!

And here's the tracklist:

1. Lonely Owl - Gold Panda

2. Walkabout - Atlas Sound (w/ Noah Lennox)

3. Sinkership - Sin Fang Bous

4. Then I Run - Mew

5. Gone - Tokyo Police Club (not British, Canadian)

6. Not In Love - Crystal Castles ft. Robert Smith

7. 10 Mile Stereo - Beach House

8. Undertow - Warpaint

9. Wasting Time - Reading Rainbow

10. A short reprise for Mary Todd, who went insane, but for very good reasons - Sufjan Stevens

11. Helicopter - Deerhunter

12. Bowl of Oranges - Bright Eyes

13. Dusk Til Dawn - Ladyhawke (not perverted, it's about ghosts or something)

14. Lay In A Shimmer - Pantha Du Prince

15. Winters Love - Animal Collective

16. An Iris Pseudocorus - Sleep Party People

17. Pallas Athena - Kashmir

I didn't have the slightest idea of what you listen to, so that's why I put very different songs on my tape.

Dear mixtape maker, here is my review of your mixtape called Pathetic Senses:

1. This song rings a bell to me but I can’t remember what it is, it’s frustrating!

It sounds like a "classic soft rock" song: maybe Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin?

The intro is weird in a good way with ringing sounds: if you’re tired/dozy, it wakes you up!

2. “Animals we are” is sung in the chorus, maybe it’s the title of the song!

I like the guitar line throughout the song and the voice of the singer!

3. The name of the album and artist showed up: [sic!] by Hey but it didn’t matter because I didn’t know the artist!

It’s in a language from the eastern countries.

A deep female voice is singing, it’s kind of a "heavy rock" style of music! I like this kind of voice in this kind of atmosphere!

What’s the song about?

4. The Cranberries but I don’t know the name of the song! Or maybe it’s Dolores O’Riordan (you can easily recognize her voice) as a solo artist? But I don’t know, the music sounds like the Cranberries!

5. A rock ballad sung in Japanese.

I liked when the singer sung quite high during the chorus!

Do you know what's the song about?

6. It’s a peaceful/mellow song! I think it’s Asa’s voice and maybe the title is “I need you”?

7. A kind of rock ballad, a female voice that I have heard before: maybe Annie Lenox?

It’s a song about Marie-Antoinette! Is it from the soundtrack of the movie?

8. It’s a mix between some “electronic” sounds and guitars, drums, etc.

A guy is singing, the chorus is less quiet than the rest of the song!

9. Alain Bashung – Ma petite entreprise : « Ma petite entreprise connait pas la crise, épanouie elle exhibe des trésors satinés, dorés à souhait… »

A classic of French music! I was glad to hear it again! RIP Mr Baschung!

10. It seems to be a mix between “traditional” music from the eastern countries and a bit of rock! The singer sings a language from these countries! What’s the song about?

11. It sounds like a "classic soft rock" ballad. I have already heard the voice of the singer: maybe Michael Stipe from R.E.M.?

12. A duet between an Italian singer and Dolores O’Riordan (she appears at the middle of the song and sings in English).

It’s kind of a rock ballad with strings! Usually, I don’t like so much the singing in Italian (don’t ask me why!). But this duet works great together and the music is pretty!

13. It’s a duet between Axl Rose from Guns N’Roses (his voice is easily recognizable) and another singer.

It’s a rock ballad with mix of piano, violins and electrics guitars and the two voices work great together!

14. It’s a song with an orchestra: I recognize strings, piano, electrics guitars, drums and choirs. There are no lyrics.

At the beginning I thought it may be Apocalyptica but later in the song I changed my mind!

A fantastic song to end the mixtape! Maybe it’s music from a video game or a movie soundtrack?

I really enjoy listening to this mixtape and none of the songs particularly irritated me and I have some favorites: number 2,3,4,8,13 and 14. :pleased:

I also like the variety of languages.

I would like to have an explanation of the title of the mixtape Pathetic Senses: is it because the songs call our pathetic senses out? Is it more because of the lyrics or the music or both? Sorry if my questions are silly! And I like the picture of the mixtape! It could be an actual cover album and an album title!

Thank you for your mixtape :thumbsup: