✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 7th Mixtape Exchange (1ST POST UPDATE)

ivet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Old again, this one's from 86.

Take me home...toniiiiiiiiight.... to die by your siiiiide...it's such a heavenly way to diiiiie :heart:

and Air France :surprised:

There is a band called Air France?!!! :stunned: :lol: I wonder if there is one called British Airways... :D

Hello my friend! I had the honor to make your mixtape.

Hello dear Mixtape Maker! Nice to meet you! Thanks for all your explanations :)

Young Galaxy - Wailing Wall

It's an underground canadian indie band. Their first album is very good! Glad you liked it.

Yeah, I'll definitely have a look at this album :)

Right! The Police - Synchronicity I.

I confess I fastened it a bit using an audio editor, it just sounded too slow after listening to it in a live DVD. It's a pity you didn't like it.

Oh so you fastened it! Well, I do like The Police in general but well, I guess some of their tracks don't manage to catch me.

Simply Red - It's Only Love

It was originally written by Barry White in 78. I really like this version!

Oh OK! I understand why I couldn't put words on what I felt, it has a soul/funky vibe on it so I didn't know what to think about it. Simply Red, how didn't I recognize this artist :facepalm: And btw, I'm a Barry fan :D

The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Old again, this one's from 86.

See, it's an example of how lame I am about old music. I know The Smiths by name and reputation but never listened to them. I definitely will :)

Fito Paez - Parte Del Aire

He's one of the most famous argentinanian musicians.

As strange as it seems, I'll be checking out this artist though I didn't like this track, I guess he's not famous for nothing ;). I like hispanic music and want to discover more of it so if you have any advice, don't hesitate :)

Jeff Beck - Space Boogie

Didn't expect anyone to like this one, just included it in case my partner was secretly a fusion freak :lol:

But these are one of the best musicians there are, that is undeniable!

HAHAHA you cracked me up :lol:

I also totally agree with you about the musicians!

Four Tops - Reach Out, I'll Be There

This is the original one. Written by songwriting team Holland-Dozier-Holland, they used to made very good songs!

The Four Tops... Obviously! I suck :\ I should listen to them more!

Yeah, I remembered afterwards that Claude François used to cover some Motown songs.

The Smashing Pumpkins - With Every Light

The only one you got wrong! It's from 2000.

No way! I'd have sworn it was an old one! Wonder why I never checked The Smashing Pumpkins' music... Got lots of mistakes to repair haha ;)

It was an honour to be reviewed by you :kiss:

Just out of curiosity, was your guess about your mixtape maker right? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry for the songs you didn't like. I tried to make a mixtape everyone would like at least a few songs.

Condensed tracklist

01. Young Galaxy - Wailing Wall

02. The Police - Synchronicity I

03. Simply Red - It's Only Love [written by Barry White]

04. Nirvana - Come As You Are

05. The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony

06. Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World

07. Sting - Low Life

08. The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again

09. The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

10. Jethro Tull - Mother Goose

11. The Rolling Stones - Miss You

12. Fito Paez - Parte Del Aire

13. Jeff Beck - Space Boogie

14. U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday

15. Four Tops - Reach Out, I'll Be There [Motown Records, written by Holland–Dozier–Holland]

16. The Smashing Pumpkins - With Every Light

Oh thanks :blush:

My guess about my mixtape maker was absolutely wrong, though I was 100% sure you were a boy :rolleyes:

It was a pleasure for me! Don't apologize 'bout the songs I didn't like, you took some risks with some of the tracks, and with this "oldie mixtape" in general, and I really appreciate that. I listened to it again after I reviewed it and I liked it even more!

Thank you again, I really suck about old music in general and you definitely opened my mind to it! I'll be checking some artists as I said, I'll let you know :)

:kiss:

See, it's an example of how lame I am about old music. I know The Smiths by name and reputation but never listened to them. I definitely will :)

You should and I'm sure you'll like it ;) Morrissey songwriting is very unique! So full of irony and second degree...! :)

I discovered LOTS of new songs and new styles and enjoyed it A LOT!! (yeah I know Sofia, I haven't replied to you yet!! Gonna do it soon) :)

Yeah... You'd better hurry up girl... :whip:

... :P

I'm proud when I see how much you enjoyed this exchange :nice:

Or maybe it has nothing to do with me and I'm being quite ridiculous there :| :blank:

My review:

1. I'm really reminded of Phoenix when I listen to this. Something about the singer's voice that's very similar. Great melody with a fantastic vocal harmony in the chorus.

2. Yay, electro-pop! I have the funniest feeling I've heard this somewhere before. Nice vocals, great use of handclaps, very 80s-ish production.

3. The Wombats - Tokyo (Vampires and Wolves) - I recognised the chorus from somewhere and it gave it away (even though I don't remember ever hearing it before), and then I twigged the band. Very different to something like 'Let's Dance To Joy Division' anyway. I like this rather a lot!

4. E minor! YES! That's my favourite key. Falsetto vocals that work really well. This is a little Sufjan Stevens-y to my ears, even though I know it's not him. The mixtape's great so far.

5. Hmm. Country-tinged rock, not something I usually go for. I can actually tolerate the singer's voice which is surprising. Good lyrics too!

6. Cover of The xx's Crystalised. That was one of my favourite songs of last year, and I like this version quite a bit.

7. Nice drums. This is in... C minor I think. It doesn't try to be flashy or anything; quite an unassuming song, but it suits it well. I'd be interested in finding out who this is by.

8. Another upbeat indie-pop song. I'm a bit of a sucker for this kind of stuff, and as it goes, this is rather good. Vocals are Vampire Weekend-y. I approve.

9. Garage rock. I like the riff, and the vocal harmonies are nice too. Interested to hear about this too.

10. Hmm. Sounds like it could be on an American drama of some sort. Pretty inoffensive adult-oriented rock. Not really my thing, and the worst part is I'm sure there are far too many songs that sound the same.

11. I'm racking my brains trying to think where I've heard this before! Something about it sounds incredibly familiar. It's quite good.

12. Atmospheric, synth-driven, treated vocals. This is EXCELLENT! Probably the highlight of the mixtape so far.

13. Delphic - Acolyte - I CAN'T EVEN. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PUTTING THIS ON THERE!!! One of my favourite songs of the year. It's almost transcendental. SO GOOD.

14. Is this Grizzly Bear? Please tell me it's Grizzly Bear. I recognise the singer's voice - AND THIS IS A HOT CHIP COVER! OH MY GOD THIS IS BRILLIANT. And I Was A Boy From School, right?

15. Gorgeous melody. Those strings add so much to the song. I thought 'female Caleb Followill' when I heard her voice. This is a good thing.

16. Percussion. More female vocals. Nice chord progression and atmosphere. This is another thing I don't usually like, but this particular song is very good.

17. The XX covering Florence And The Machine covering The Source - You Got the Love - Had never heard this before but was well aware of its existence. I like it very much, so thanks.

18. Do you want to reduce me to tears?! There's something incredibly affecting about this song. Those lyrics.... sung in that voice... wow. AND THE WAY IT GETS GOING. Holy shit, this actually gives me shivers. NEED TO KNOW WHO THIS IS.

Overall, very good mixtape. I was worried it was gonna go off the rails with track 10, but it recovered, and the combination of those last two songs is wonderful. 8/10 I would say. Thanks very much. :)

Salut, je suis ta secret partner :D

Glad you liked it, although you have to know it was pretty hard making a mixtape for you as I'm french too and I discovered via your lastfm account that we both listen to the same kind of music.

I thus decided I wouldn't care putting foreign artists so that you hear unknown things, plus I saw you knew Kaizer Orchestra or German bands so I guessed you wouldn't mind that much hearing foreign languages.

As for the general feeling of the tape (connected with the title), it was actually made to convey a specific message I wasn't expecting you to get, so I'm surprised and pleased you're asking about it (I wouldn't talk about it otherwise) :)

Actually it's all about being disappointed by someone you love, and you actually even spotted the person who was concerned by the message (which, once again, I wasn't expecting you to recognize): Dolores O'Riordan.

I'm actually a huge fan and for some reason I'm kind of blaming her lately...

Anyway that's why a Cranberries song is introduced toward the beginning of the tape, in order to set things, and it closes with the duet with the italian guy (lyrics: ''tell me how am I supposed to live with you'' and then ''get out of my head / stop hurting me'') followed by the Axl Rose song whose lyrics totally describe my feelings towards Mrs O'Riordan.

So well, that's about it... the cover of the album is made with a real cover, that of the very first Cranberries EP (see it HERE) which I modified a bit (some people here know that I like making crazy covers :D), and it contains a song called ''Pathetic Senses'' (lyrics HERE).

:) That's it... Now track by track:

Dear mixtape maker, here is my review of your mixtape called Pathetic Senses:

1. This song rings a bell to me but I can’t remember what it is, it’s frustrating!

It sounds like a "classic soft rock" song: maybe Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin?

The intro is weird in a good way with ringing sounds: if you’re tired/dozy, it wakes you up!

Pink Floyd indeed, ''Time'' from the classic Dark Side Of The Moon ;) I've always wanted to start a mixtape with that one so I felt like it was the right TIME to do it hehe.

2. “Animals we are” is sung in the chorus, maybe it’s the title of the song!

I like the guitar line throughout the song and the voice of the singer!

Song is called Two by Two from a band I discovered in a mixtape made for Sofia during a precedent game.

3. The name of the album and artist showed up: [sic!] by Hey but it didn’t matter because I didn’t know the artist!

It’s in a language from the eastern countries.

A deep female voice is singing, it’s kind of a "heavy rock" style of music! I like this kind of voice in this kind of atmosphere!

What’s the song about?

What a bad news, I'm always very careful when it comes to deleting tags from mp3s, but I guess being on a mac isn't helping me.

Anyway you were very unlikely to know Hey indeed, my second fav band ever. They're ultra famous in their country - Poland - and if you're interested in eastern countries music (it seems so?), then I encourage you to check them cause they're awesome.

By the way I've been trying to learn polish for few years in order to understand their lyrics but I still suck at this, so I don't understand most of their lyrics either which is not that much of a problem in my opinion... so I hope you didn't mind me putting this many foreign songs.

Anyway basically the song is all about being angry, contradictions and saying yes when you mean no, it goes like ''non non non, non c'est non...'' and end up with a ''c'était oui''...

4. The Cranberries but I don’t know the name of the song! Or maybe it’s Dolores O’Riordan (you can easily recognize her voice) as a solo artist? But I don’t know, the music sounds like the Cranberries!

The Cranberries - Hollywood...

5. A rock ballad sung in Japanese.

I liked when the singer sung quite high during the chorus!

Do you know what's the song about?

Famous J-rock band. I'm not into Japanese music AT ALL but this one is pretty OK and I adore a few of their songs, like this one.

Here you are for the translation (in French;))

6. It’s a peaceful/mellow song! I think it’s Asa’s voice and maybe the title is “I need you”?

I so knew you would already know Asa if you're into Tété... pfff it was so hard to find artists you wouldn't know. That's ''Preacher Man'' from her new album (which I don't think is as good as her first one)

7. A kind of rock ballad, a female voice that I have heard before: maybe Annie Lenox?

It’s a song about Marie-Antoinette! Is it from the soundtrack of the movie?

Ahhhh, I love the Rita Mitsouko and I didn't want to put one of their French songs so that you wouldn't find out easily it was Catherine's voice. I made it, yipeeee :cool:

By the way it's not linked to the movie at all, it's just a song from their last album Variéty. I think they worked on it with a guy from System Of A Down, which could explain the fact a part of the album is quite gloomy.

8. It’s a mix between some “electronic” sounds and guitars, drums, etc.

A guy is singing, the chorus is less quiet than the rest of the song!

Arkitekt, a band whose members are Richard Walters and Noel Hogan (Cranberries' guitarist). It's kind of a revenge: I'm encouraging N.Hogan's solo projects gniahaha :D

9. Alain Bashung – Ma petite entreprise : « Ma petite entreprise connait pas la crise, épanouie elle exhibe des trésors satinés, dorés à souhait… »

A classic of French music! I was glad to hear it again! RIP Mr Baschung!

Yep, RIP, I needed to put him in there.

10. It seems to be a mix between “traditional” music from the eastern countries and a bit of rock! The singer sings a language from these countries! What’s the song about?

Polish again, that guy worked with Hey's singer on his album. Anyway I love this song and the videoclip is awesome is you have time to look it up on youtube. I feel like it conveys a kind of ''sad happiness'', I love that. I believe it's all about someone who want to be reassured about someone else, hoping for his/her happiness or something. What I'm sure about is that the narrator is feeling very lonely.

11. It sounds like a "classic soft rock" ballad. I have already heard the voice of the singer: maybe Michael Stipe from R.E.M.?

Yep, himself. I thought it could fit perfectly the ''general message'' hehe.

12. A duet between an Italian singer and Dolores O’Riordan (she appears at the middle of the song and sings in English).

It’s kind of a rock ballad with strings! Usually, I don’t like so much the singing in Italian (don’t ask me why!). But this duet works great together and the music is pretty!

Oh I won't ask you why cause I share the same feeling ahah. I'm not at all into these kinds of ''Italian crooners'', but this one's ok cause the main interest lays in Dolores' part...;)

13. It’s a duet between Axl Rose from Guns N’Roses (his voice is easily recognizable) and another singer.

It’s a rock ballad with mix of piano, violins and electrics guitars and the two voices work great together!

You're very good at recognizing voices (although you're right, Axl's easily recognizable) although you also made me laugh my $ss out :lol:

That's indeed a wonderful duet between Axl Rose and... HIMSELF. Where the hell did you hear someone else? :laugh3:

In addition, I read your review last night from my phone (so I couldn't answer quickly, sorry) and you made me dream that I had never realised this song was actually a duet between Axl & Dolores :lol: How weird... I woke up panicking thinking I HAD to find the duet version of the song...

14. It’s a song with an orchestra: I recognize strings, piano, electrics guitars, drums and choirs. There are no lyrics.

At the beginning I thought it may be Apocalyptica but later in the song I changed my mind!

A fantastic song to end the mixtape! Maybe it’s music from a video game or a movie soundtrack?

Glad you enjoyed it, it's a soundtrack indeed, end of The Fountain.

Voilà voilà, ravie que tu aies aimé en tout cas ;)

Camille

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LTKI99YR

Tracklist:

01 - Time - Pink Floyd (Dark Side Of The Moon)

02 - Two By Two - Animal Kingdom (Signs And Wonders)

03 - [sic!] - Hey ([sic!])

04 - Hollywood - The Cranberries (To The Faithful Departed)

05 - Kasou - Ray (L'Arc-En-Ciel)

06 - Preacher Man - Asa (Beautiful Imperfection)

07 - Badluck Queen - Variéty (Les Rita Mitsouko)

08 - Breathe - Arkitekt (The Black Hair EP)

09 - Ma Petite Entreprise - Alain Bashung (Chatterton)

10 - W Sam Raz - Czesław Śpiewa (Pop)

11 - All The Rights Friends - R.E.M. (In Time)

12 - Senza Fiato - Negramaro feat. Dolores O'Riordan (La Finestra)

13 - This I Love - Guns N' Roses (Chinese Democracy)

14 - Death Is A Road To Awe - Clint Mansell, Kronos Quartet (The Foutain OST)

01 - Time - Pink Floyd (Dark Side Of The Moon)

02 - Two By Two - Animal Kingdom (Signs And Wonders)

03 - [sic!] - Hey ([sic!])

04 - Hollywood - The Cranberries (To The Faithful Departed)

05 - Kasou - Ray (L'Arc-En-Ciel)

06 - Preacher Man - Asa (Beautiful Imperfection)

07 - Badluck Queen - Variéty (Les Rita Mitsouko)

08 - Breathe - Arkitekt (The Black Hair EP)

09 - Ma Petite Entreprise - Alain Bashung (Chatterton)

10 - W Sam Raz - Czesław Śpiewa (Pop)

11 - All The Rights Friends - R.E.M. (In Time)

12 - Senza Fiato - Negramaro feat. Dolores O'Riordan (La Finestra)

13 - This I Love - Guns N' Roses (Chinese Democracy)

14 - Death Is A Road To Awe - Clint Mansell, Kronos Quartet (The Foutain OST)

I KNEW it was your tape :D (btw, L'arc-en-ciel is the name of the band, not the album ;) )

Yes indeed, it's actually L'Arc~en~Ciel or Laruku but I was too lazy to find the ~ on my mac keyboard (and I saw Hyde live in october in Paris!) :D

Really?! I don't really like him...he freaks me out a little XD, he looks so young for his age... :stunned: the man is not human XD

I'm not into J-rock even if I like a few tunes. The only japanese artists that I actually listen from time to time are Yoko Kano and Suga Shikao.

1 - Good song, your majesty :) Me wanna hear some more

2 - Bon Iver Blood Bank, good tune.

3 - sounds a bit oasisly at the start, so something from the britpop era?

4 - Female singer, sounds interesting. Me wanna hear some more as it sounds good.

5 - Fleet foxes :)

6 - sounds very mellowing, good song. Me wanna hear some more

7 - i've been working on a cocktail called grounds for divorce.

8 - modern 80s retro it sounds like, Hurts? No, I know the voice but can't put a name to it. Interpol? Editors?

9 - Sounds a bit Colin Meloy like, me likely

10 - Solo singer-songwriter? Sounds good

11 - I know this song, but can't put a name to the singer. Florance and da machine?

12 - Another song I know but can't recall the name of the artist, sounds good.

13 - The killing room, good song, can't recall artist, sounds good.

14 - sounds good :) can't recall name of artist though, god i'm crap tonight

Overall a good tape :)

Yeeey:) that's mine!

1 -

Good song, your majesty :) Me wanna hear some more

Majesty by Madrugada. If you like this you should definitely check them out!

2 - Bon Iver Blood Bank, good tune.

:) Glad you liked it!

3 - sounds a bit oasisly at the start, so something from the britpop era?

Yeah, it's a British pop/rock band called The Aeroplanes, the song is called Black Hole!

4 - Female singer, sounds interesting. Me wanna hear some more as it sounds good.

The song is called To Let Myself Go by Ane Brun, she is amazing and i love her music!

You sould definitely check her out too:P

5 - Fleet foxes :)

Yeeey!!!! The song is White Winter Hymnal which I'm sure you already knew!

6 - sounds very mellowing, good song. Me wanna hear some more

This is Lie In The Sound by Trespassers William, I love them <3

7 - i've been working on a cocktail called grounds for divorce.

Grounds for Divorce by Elbow :)

8 - modern 80s retro it sounds like, Hurts? No, I know the voice but can't put a name to it. Interpol? Editors?

No..... could have been though! This is The Bravery and the song is called The Spectator

9 - Sounds a bit Colin Meloy like, me likely

Well... it's not Colin Meloy, the song is called Man Made Lake by Calexico. Glad you liked it:P

10 - Solo singer-songwriter? Sounds good

Yeah :) His name is Damien Rice and he's an Irish singer-songwriter, I wasn't sure about this one, so I'm relieved to see you liked it :smug2:

11 - I know this song, but can't put a name to the singer. Florance and da machine?

No close though...... Bat For Lashes, yeah i kind of suspected that you'd recognize it:P

12 - Another song I know but can't recall the name of the artist, sounds good.

Boom by Anjulie, good!

13 - The killing room, good song, can't recall artist, sounds good.

Actually , it's The Killing Moon, which conveniently enough, is also the title of the song:P

Here it's played by Nouvelle Vague. They are a french group that do covers of mostly famous english and american songs!

I think the original version was by Echo & the Bunnymen!

14 - sounds good :) can't recall name of artist though, god i'm crap tonight

Take Me To The Riot by Stars

Where there only 14 tracks? hmm... that's strange :confused:

There where supposed to be 3 more :(

well, well theres nothing to do about that now ay!

I'm glad you liked the tape, I didn't stalk you that much so I was afraid that you'd might know alot of the tracks, but it's sounds like you found some new bands and artist that you'll look more into:)

Overall a good tape :)

Thank you :thumbsup:

Here's the track list:

SONG – ARTIST/BAND

1) Majesty – Madrugada

2) Blood Bank - Bon Iver

3) Black Hole - The Aeroplanes

4) To Let Myself Go - Ane Brun

5) White Winter Hymnal - Fleet Foxes

6) Lie In The Sound - Trespassers William

7) Grounds for Divorce – Elbow

8) The Spectator - The Bravery

9) Man Made Lake – Calexico

10) Dogs - Damien Rice

11) Sleep Alone - Bat For Lashes

12) Boom – Anjulie

13) The Killing Moon - Nouvelle Vague

14) Take Me To The Riot – Stars

and if you'd like to check out the tracks that, for no particular reason what so ever, didn't show up on the tape......

here they are:

15) I Don't Feel It Anymore - William Fitzsimmons

16) Come Undone (Acoustic Version) - Jackson Waters

17) Pärt: Spiegel Im Spiegel - Arvo Part

and here's the link if anyone els would like to download the tape:

http://www.mediafire.com/?01e2hx2cvind4t3

edit:

okay, I just checked and the last 3 tracks are on the .rar I submitted!

You must have just missed them :)

This was mine. [/size][/b]

I'm surprised you thought it was long, I delibrately kept it short at 54 mins. It's probably the shortest mixtape I've done. :\ Anyway, I'm glad you liked it overall anyway considering the tape was tailored for someone else. :)

I had a list of songs picked out that I wanted to use, then when Ivet sent me the other person's name, I selected a few tracks from some beardy American and American mid-west sounding bands to put in there, based on his music tastes. Overall, I felt the mix was quite American (I usually make really Brit-rock feeling tapes) and it felt quite autumnal/wintry.

Side A:

Track 1: Good choice for an intro. I liked how intense it sounded and how the beginning was just instrumental and than the vocals came in.

Yeah, I felt this was a good intro altho it's not my fave song by them. I discovered these guys at a festival this summer and intense is a good word to describe them.

Kiss The Sun - Detroit Social Club

~

Track 2: I liked how this one sounded but it was kind of too slow. It wasn't boring, just slow.

I'd never thought of this being slow at all...this is one of the American bands I put on at the last minute. I love the guitars in this and the harmonies on the vocal.

Older - Band of Horses

~

Track 3: I like the acoustic sound to this one. It's slow at first but I liked how it picked up speed during the chorus. It's an interesting song and I liked the lyrics.

These are a Scottish band of four guitarists, so their music is very layered and they all seem to sing too so have very lovely Fleet Foxes-ey style harmonies. They do have interesting and clever lyrics.

Take Another Ride - Kassidy

~

Track 4: Not sure what to think of this one. It was good but not a song that stuck out.

Aw, shame you weren't that fussed. I am in love with this track at the moment. It's a cover of a 60s song by The Byrds by one of my absolute favourite bands. The backing vocals are totally gorgeous. :wacky:

I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better (The Byrds cover) - The Coral

~

Track 5: I enjoyed this one, the voice sounds familiar but I really liked the words to this one.

Ah the lovely Simon Neil, he's got a gorgeous vocal. This is starts as quite a calm and relaxing one and gets a bit heavier towards the end. Maybe you are familar with some of their recent singles but a lot of their stuff is quite rocky/screamey/expermental

As The Dust Dances - Biffy Clyro

~

Track 6: I really enjoyed this one as well, I liked his voice and the instruments sounded nice.

Hmmm another Scots band, actually this mix is more Scottish than I realised :lol: I love this song for the guitar at the beginning. The whole album is well worth a listen tho, they make very interesting and beautiful songs.

Let It Go - Unkle Bob

~

Track 7: This one was a bit crazy and kind of obnoxious but it wasn't bad.

Ahahaha yes! Obnoxious is the word :D Actually the track of theirs that I really wanted to put on here is even more obnoxious, but I didn't want to go over the top. They're been described as Vampire music by the very lovely man in my avatar. A Leicester band, kind of punky and grungey & a tiny bit mental. :wacky:

Diem - The Screening

~

Side B:

Track 1: I liked how this one started, the whole thing sounded great. I liked the lyrics and the voice of this singer.

This is a band I'm just getting into, I wanted a slightly older track on the mix and this made a nice intro to Side B.

Love Burns - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

~

Track 2: This one was interesting, I liked how it was sung.

Kassidy again, but a short little fun thing, that made a nice contrast with the more heavier tracks ahead of it. Beauifully peaceful little track.

Panic Day - Kassidy

~

Track 3: I liked the voice and I liked how it seemed to be a slow song from the beginning but was really a fast one.

Back to the USA now for more beardy folk rock and yet more harmonies, guitars and strings. I love the way this track seems to swell and get more layered as it goes on. This is such an amazing album, I'd reccommend a listen.

Who Knows Who Cares - Local Natives

~

Track 4: Sounded different than the rest but I really liked it.

Bit of a change of style. This is another new band for me, that I've not long discovered (via another mixtape exchange :thumbsup:). They make such pretty music, very atmospheric. They are Danish, but have a Simon and Garfunkel feel to them. If you liked this, I'd reccommend listening to The Balcony, it's a really beautiful song.

Passion - The Rumour Said Fire

~

Track 5: I liked that you put a slow song in after such fast paced ones, it kind of balanced it out a little.

Another one of the last minute additions. I find this band a little hit and miss, but this is one of their better ones. This is a really laidback track and the lyrics are full of imagary.

To Ohio - The Low Anthem

~

Track 6: I liked how this reminded me of older kind of music. Though it may be one.

No, they are a modern band tho they sound (and dress) like they are from the 50s. Again, I think they sound American, but they're actually from Sheffield. Their debut album'll be out early next year and I can't wait.

Backstreet Lovers - The Crookes

~

Track 7: I liked the beginning of it but for the most part I didn't really like this one. The instruments were great though.

I can see why this is an acquired taste, it's a bit unusual. I wanted an epic closer to finish and originally I had another track by The Coral to end the tape, but then I had a last minute change of mind, cos this one fitted my wintry frame of mind at the time. I do love this song tho, the guitars are epic towards the end, tho a few reviews of this album I read, said this track was too restrained, it should have been more epic apparently haha

Winters Call - Kula Shaker

---

Anyway, sorry for wittering on....here's the complete tracklist: Title ~ Artist (Year of Release) Album/EP

Side A:

1 - Kiss The Sun - Detroit Social Club (2010) Existence

2 - Older - Band of Horses (2010) Infinite Arms

3 - Take Another Ride - Kassidy (2010) The Rubbergum EP Vol 2

4 - I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better (The Byrds cover) - The Coral (2010) b-side on Walking in the Winter single

5 - As The Dust Dances - Biffy Clyro (2007) Puzzle

6 - Let It Go - Unkle Bob (2010) Shockwaves

7 - Diem - The Screening (2007) The Screening EP

Side B:

1 - Love Burns - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (2001) B.R.M.C.

2 - Panic Day - Kassidy (2010) The Rubbergum EP Vol 2

3 - Who Knows Who Cares - Local Natives (2009) Gorilla Manor

4 - Passion - The Rumour Said Fire (2010) The Arrogant

5 - To Ohio - The Low Anthem (2009) Oh My God, Charlie Darwin

6 - Backstreet Lovers - The Crookes (2010) Dreams of Another Day EP

7 - Winters Call - Kula Shaker (2010) Pilgrim's Progress

DOWNLOAD it now, people. You know you want to :P

Thanks for all of that and I will most definitely check out some of these bands, especially the ones you recommended.

(Sorry for the late reply but I haven't been home since you posted this). This was actually a hard one to make, since you had Marie as a partner last year (and a lot of the things she put in the mixtape are songs I showed her, so I couldn't put them on there). So it's not my top mixtape, but I think it pretty much shows my musical tastes. I'm glad you liked it though, and you really should check some artists/bands out.

Happy holidays and here's the tracklisting:

1) Hazeltons - Justin Vernon

2) Head Home - Midlake

3) I Still Care For You - Ray Lamontagne

4) The Latest Toughs - Okkervil River

5) Here Before - Lissie

6) Pursuit Of Misery - Kashmir

7) People Help The People - Cherry Ghost

8) Hospital Food - David Gray

9) Nothing Gives Me Pleasure - Josh Rouse

10) Envoi - Absynthe Minded

11) Hurt Me - The Jezabels

12) Amber And Green - David Hopkins

13) Liner - Justin Vernon

Download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yy2uacohryiaz5h

Hi there!

Thanks again! I'm Jen, btw. I don't think we've met. :nice:

I will definitely be checking out quite a few of these artists. Justin Vernon, for one! Also, Lissie has actually had quite a bit of buzz around here, and I haven't taken much time to listen to her stuff. Thanks for a great mix! Also, I forgot to mention it in my review, but I loved the album art you created, too! :thumbsup:

To my mixtape-maker: I loved reviewing this! :) Nice varied selection and only one song I already knew, I really enjoyed listening to this a couple of times. I didn't like everything on it per se, but what do you expect.

1. Sounds like one of those "The String Quartet Tribute to.."-covers, and I have a feeling I should know what this is a cover of as it sounds familiar. Can't recall it for the life of me, though. It's a nice song, a bit rock (if that can be said of string music)! I'm curious about the original artist.

2. A piano track, quite old school dramatic Tom Waits-style, limping and bluesy. When I hear the singing voice, I want to say Dresden Dolls or Amanda Palmer, but I can't say for sure because I don't know enough of their music. This is something I'd want to listen to over a good glass of whiskey and sulking.

3. I hear an upright bass and some bongos. A gentle, young female voice sings about love. This is quite easy listening, although it is something I'd put on in the background to hum along to rather than sit and listen. It's also a bit short.

4. Pretty psychedelic opening with male harmonies and an acoustic guitar. Judging by the production this is probably 60s inspired rather than actually 60s made. I like it, it's all sultry and trippy and it even has birdsong in it.

5. Classical. I have a feeling I know this from somewhere. I may have had to play something like this for my piano lessons. I like classical music every once in a while, but this bores me because it's quite standard chamber music.

6. Something from a musical? All drama and dun-dun-dun? I'm very confused because the lyrics and voice sound like the singer from System of a Down, Serj Tankian. I haven't heard any of his solo work, but as I said it sounds like something from a musical. I don't really like it, but it's interesting to have heard.

7. VERY extremely hilariously 80s. It's either actually 80s, like Depeche Mode, or it's one of those 80s revivalist bands like Hurts or summat, but so far I've refused listening to them so I wouldn't know. The song isn't all bad, but after a minute the 80s style drum production is working on my nerves so much I can't really listen to it. This is probably something I'd be able to appreciate more in a cover version by some contemporary artist like oh, say, Coldplay? :P

8. I knew what this was at literally the first 2 guitar notes! It's Wet Sand by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'm such a huge Peppers nerd, like you wouldn't believe. As I have their official biography and considered for years getting that asterisk tattooed on my wrist, I don't think I can say anything objective or useful about this, so I'll just leave it at this: <3

9. More piano. Sorta indie. I like how it pumps on, and I like it even better when the electric guitar joins in. Something to listen to while trying to plough through the snow on my bike in an hour or so ;)

10. Acoustic guitar weeee. Quite a typical Baritone voice. At times he lays the dramatic tremolo on a bit too thick. All and all it sounds inspired by very early "pop" and folk music. I like the lyrics a lot, they're well crafted.

11. A love/drinking song, no doubt. Has an accent and an accordion and everything. Irish folk style. Quite OK.

12. Beatboxing + guitar. Very catchy! "We all kick the bucket in the end, the end!". It's incredibly uplifting despite the singer's above insurance. I really love this, the instrumentation is hilarious and the lyrics nicely fourth-wall breaking :) I wanna know who this is!

13. Eastern-style opening guitar. Breaks down into a more progressive rock-type thing. It's OK, but not great. It has a hidden bit at the end that seems very funnily out of place, something Spanish or Balkan style with bits of The Offspring's Pretty Fly for a White Guy in it, which I like MUCH better. I'm guessing this is the Offspring, then?

The End.

Salut, je suis ta secret partner :D

Glad you liked it, although you have to know it was pretty hard making a mixtape for you as I'm french too and I discovered via your lastfm account that we both listen to the same kind of music.

I’m sorry making that mixtape was kind of a challenge but challenge succeeded because I made great discoveries :nice:

I thus decided I wouldn't care putting foreign artists so that you hear unknown things, plus I saw you knew Kaizer Orchestra or German bands so I guessed you wouldn't mind that much hearing foreign languages.

You guessed right ;)

As for the general feeling of the tape (connected with the title), it was actually made to convey a specific message I wasn't expecting you to get, so I'm surprised and pleased you're asking about it (I wouldn't talk about it otherwise) :)

Actually it's all about being disappointed by someone you love, and you actually even spotted the person who was concerned by the message (which, once again, I wasn't expecting you to recognize): Dolores O'Riordan.

I'm actually a huge fan and for some reason I'm kind of blaming her lately...

Anyway that's why a Cranberries song is introduced toward the beginning of the tape, in order to set things, and it closes with the duet with the italian guy (lyrics: ''tell me how am I supposed to live with you'' and then ''get out of my head / stop hurting me'') followed by the Axl Rose song whose lyrics totally describe my feelings towards Mrs O'Riordan.

Thank you for the explanation ;) Since the mixtape had a specific title, I thought there surely is a specific meaning behind it and the songs it contains! And sorry to read you're strongly disappointed by an artist you love :( I hope it will get better with the time!

So well, that's about it... the cover of the album is made with a real cover, that of the very first Cranberries EP (see it HERE) which I modified a bit (some people here know that I like making crazy covers :D), and it contains a song called ''Pathetic Senses'' (lyrics HERE).

You made quite a change of the EP cover! Nicely done :thumbsup:

:) That's it... Now track by track:

3. What a bad news, I'm always very careful when it comes to deleting tags from mp3s, but I guess being on a mac isn't helping me.

Maybe it's also because I use a PC and Windows Media Player to listen to the tracks!?!

Anyway you were very unlikely to know Hey indeed, my second fav band ever. They're ultra famous in their country - Poland - and if you're interested in eastern countries music (it seems so?), then I encourage you to check them cause they're awesome.

I definitely will check them out! What album would you advice me to start with?

By the way I've been trying to learn polish for few years in order to understand their lyrics but I still suck at this, so I don't understand most of their lyrics either which is not that much of a problem in my opinion... so I hope you didn't mind me putting this many foreign songs.

Anyway basically the song is all about being angry, contradictions and saying yes when you mean no, it goes like ''non non non, non c'est non...'' and end up with a ''c'était oui''...

Don’t worry, as said before, I don’t mind the foreign songs! I also listen to songs of which I don’t understand the lyrics! To learn this language seems not to be a piece of cake! Thanks for telling me the general idea behind it ;)

5. Famous J-rock band. I'm not into Japanese music AT ALL but this one is pretty OK and I adore a few of their songs, like this one.

Here you are for the translation (in French)

Thanks for the link ;) Pretty melancholic lyrics, it goes well with the music!

6. I so knew you would already know Asa if you're into Tété... pfff it was so hard to find artists you wouldn't know. That's ''Preacher Man'' from her new album (which I don't think is as good as her first one)

Come on, don’t be too hard with yourself ;) Since you mentioned Tété :heart:, I discovered Asa thanks to him! I haven’t listen to her new record yet!

7. Ahhhh, I love the Rita Mitsouko and I didn't want to put one of their French songs so that you wouldn't find out easily it was Catherine's voice. I made it, yipeeee

By the way it's not linked to the movie at all, it's just a song from their last album Variéty. I think they worked on it with a guy from System Of A Down, which could explain the fact a part of the album is quite gloomy.

Waouh, I wouldn’t have thought of this band! The English of Catherine is excellent and indeed the mood is not so Rita Mitsouko! I will check out this album, it’s quite intriguing me now! Plus working with a member of SOAD, maybe Serj Tankian :heart: (I should check it out), makes it even more interesting!

8. Arkitekt, a band whose members are Richard Walters and Noel Hogan (Cranberries' guitarist). It's kind of a revenge: I'm encouraging N.Hogan's solo projects gniahaha

Why? Do The Cranberries not exist anymore? I thought there were on tour not so long ago?

10. Polish again, that guy worked with Hey's singer on his album. Anyway I love this song and the videoclip is awesome is you have time to look it up on youtube. I feel like it conveys a kind of ''sad happiness'', I love that. I believe it's all about someone who want to be reassured about someone else, hoping for his/her happiness or something. What I'm sure about is that the narrator is feeling very lonely.

Thanks again for letting me know the general idea behind the song ;) I saw the video and I find it quite puzzling/confusing!

12. Oh I won't ask you why cause I share the same feeling ahah. I'm not at all into these kinds of ''Italian crooners'', but this one's ok cause the main interest lays in Dolores' part...

That’s what I thought too but I didn’t mentioned it in first place :blush: in order not to hurt the mixtape maker’s feelings in case he/she liked the Italian guy!

13. You're very good at recognizing voices (although you're right, Axl's easily recognizable) although you also made me laugh my $ss out

That's indeed a wonderful duet between Axl Rose and... HIMSELF. Where the hell did you hear someone else?

In addition, I read your review last night from my phone (so I couldn't answer quickly, sorry) and you made me dream that I had never realised this song was actually a duet between Axl & Dolores How weird... I woke up panicking thinking I HAD to find the duet version of the song...

:embarrassed: :lol: Finally I’m not so good at recognizing voices! I think it’s because my memory only memorized the high voice and not the low voice of Axl Rose! I only know a couple of Guns N'Roses songs! But I’m glad it made you laugh and I’m sorry you had a bad dream because of that! I will not do this again, promise :D

Voilà voilà, ravie que tu aies aimé en tout cas ;)

Camille

Now I can discover more songs from these artists :dance:

Ce fut un plaisir, merci encore !

Marie