✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 7th Mixtape Exchange (1ST POST UPDATE)

ivet

My rubbish belated review

1. ‘no rest for the wicked’ ? has a country feel to it and I’m guessing it’s an indie band ?

From what I can tell, this is "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" by Cage the Elephant. It's a great song. :dance:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually so it's easier for ivet

Tape

http://rapidshare.com/files/436203034/mixtape.zip

and track list

Neighborhood #3( power out ) - Arcade Fire

Awake my Soul - Mumford & sons

John Wayne Gacy Jr - Sufjan Stevens

Twenty Seven Strangers - Villagers

Go do - Jonsi

White Sky - Vampire weekend

Undercover Martyn - Two door cinema club

Black Sheep - Metric

Conversation 16 - The National

Cosmic Love - Florence and the Machine

Sprawl II ( Mountains beyond mountains ) - Arcade fire

Did you see the words - Animal Collective

Okay, it's time for my review:)

This is my first mixtape review ever, so mystery Coldplayer, who ever you are, please excuse my bad reviewing skills. XD

You did a good job with the tape and I enjoyed, but unfortunately some of the info was not deleted, so I tried my best not to look while I deleted it: P

Here we go:

1) Ohh ... It’s a old one! I keep picturing some teenage girl from the 60's in his room, dancing and going crazy in front of her mirror:P This is not something that I’d usually listen to, but it is a "fun" song and I liked it.

2) Well, this makes me want to take a walk on the wild side, haha ....... This song is kind of raw if you know what I mean, straight forward! It’s cool and I like the little jazzy solo at the end:)

3) Flume by Bon Iver, I LOVE this song. Really good choice. This song makes me want to escape into the misic and just feel and live for each note. it’s amazing.

4) It’s a bit dark and gloomy, which I like:) I like the chello in the back of the chorus, it adds a nice touch! I really like this song, but after a while it gets a little bit boring :(

ahhh ... Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel, one of the old classics.

Wonder how many broken hearts have listened to this song since the 70's?

ME LIKEY:)

6) Love.

7) Yeah .. promising start ..... I love the sound of this :D Okay, now this is starting to seem very familiar ... I know who this is, I do, my mind has just gone completely blank!

Can’t wait to find out who this is!

8) Susan Sundfør, she is amazing. She has such an incredible voice, and I love that her music is so dramatic. She never fails to surprise! For me, this is also one of those songs that you can just escape into :P

9) I love the opening with the harp. This is an old song, right? It draws the picture of a young boy who leaves home to travel around the world and find happiness, with all his belongings in a backpack over one shoulder! Don’t know why but this makes me think of the Disney pruduksjon of Robin Hood ;) It's a cute song!

10) I like the intro with the guitar, and the tender nature of the song! I’s nothing really special about it, but I enjoyed it:)

11) Heart of Goald by Neil Young, another one of the classics! I've never really listen that much to Neil Young, but I did know this song:) It's good!

12) I guess this is okay, but it wasn’t my favorite track on this tape! I liked the opening, but the guy who sings creeps me out :( I liked it better in the chorus though:). I don’t hate it, in a way it’s is pretty cool, I just don’t love it!

13) This has some of the same sound as 12, but I like this much better:) I like the acoustic guitar and the tow people who sings are actually kind of cute. This song also seems a bit familiar, it's from a movie or something?

14) Now this I love, is it Icelandic? Sins I’m norwegian I should be able to understand some of it, but honestly, I don’t understand a word. XD I think it's about someones birthday though, 'cause at the end he says something about being 16 years old -today- !

This is one of those songs you want to listen to on a good and sunny day! It starts of really cute, then when the woman begins to sing the sound changes slightly and then it takes more of at the bridge;) -GOOD!!!!!

15) Ohh... It’s catchy, I’m tapping my fot:) This song cheers me up! This is a good way to end the tape, it leavs me in a good mood.... well done!!!!!!!!

1. Some nice bits to the first song. It's playful, but dark at the same time. Not something I would normally listen to but I'm glad to hear new things. I wasn't a massive fan of the lyrics.

2. Sounds familiar but I can't think of who it is. This playlist was made by a Coldplay fan. Somebody who still likes Coldplay. I can imagine Chris Martin singing this.

3. A change in pace, cool drums. Interesting. I think I have heard this before somewhere. Like in the background to a tv show or something, or maybe before a gig. I like it, good background music.

4. Back to some song writing. Kind of lo-fi, which is good. A nice song, only short. I'd be interested to know who it is. Haven't recognised a song or artist yet, which is good :)

5. Sounds familiar again. Garagey. Female vocalist hmmm. Lo-fi again, kind of. I am massive critic of most female singer but this one suits the music. Like why I am a fan of Karen O. I'll take a stab at it being PJ Harvey but I could be way off since I always forget what she sounds like. I like it though.

6. The National? I could be wrong but I'm probably not. They are OK but I find the vocalist to be interesting on first listen, but then once you've heard one song you've heard them all. This is better than the others I've heard though, admittedly. He isn't forcing his voice as much, which makes me hesitant as to say it is them since I haven't heard him exactly like this before. if it's not The National then I prefer these but fear I'll fear the same for them and hope there aren't going to be about 8 National spin off bands like what happened with The Strokes and the Libertines. he guitar reminds me of 'If You Could Read My Mind' by Gordon Lightfoot in places.

7. Piano. Sounds like a classical piece so far though vocals could come. It's very welcome :) It's relaxing, yet at the same time quite poignant, so not boring. I am impressed with the variety so far in the playlist. Yeah, this was nice.

8. Back to drums and guitar. Not something I would listen to, but it's not annoying. In fact, it's a grower. A decent album track for the playlist.

9. Interesting start. Sounds good. Now whether it will go cool or irritating haha... It reminds me of that youtube clip 'little girl loves aphex twin' where they sample her voice. This didn't get irritating by the way.

10. Another change. I like it. Bluesy rock.

11. Man, some of these sound so familiar. I can't believe how awful I am at recognising these. Decent song, album track.

12. Back on the piano. Decent female voice. I rarely listen to this genre, but once again it's decent, mainly because the piano sounds different and the singer doesn't try to sound too different.

13. Live track. Johnny Cash methinks. I find him very hit and miss but this is closer to a hit, especially for a live track. Added to this it wasn't too long. Yeah, good.

14. Decent start. Debating on whether I like the voice or not. For the first two seconds i really didn't, but I think it was just a shock with the volume haha. Another genre I wouldn't listen to much but seems OK. Not a fan of the chorus though. The verses are decent though.

Overall, a good playlist. I enjoyed it and there wasn't a song I disliked. I definitely want to see the tracklisting too as there are some I want to look into :)

Thank you for taking the time to make a playlist and also for making it varied. I enjoyed it and will be listening to it again!

:hug:

Hello mixtape partner!

Firstly, thanks for the mixtape. There was a Christmas theme to the tape, which I didn't realise at first (even though the title should've given it away :wacky: )

Hi!

I'm your mixtape maker.

Thanks for your review!

Aww too bad you didn't get my message (I sent it to ivet), I was telling you about the Christmas theme and 'warning' you about some "weird" songs that sound like parodies! ;)

Anyway, here's the track by track review!

1)Slow, mellow start with piano and accordion and some male vocals. Builds up till around the 2 minute mark then drums and guitar kick in. A great opener!

Efterklang - Cutting Ice To Snow

Glad you thought it was a great opener! :)

2) Piano and guitar. Very jolly, Christmas tune. I like it, dunno if I'd listen to it that much, though.

Yo La Tengo - It's Christmas

Haha I thought exactly the same, funny. :D

3)Bass heavy intro. Nice vocals and a very joyous song (obviously). I like the horns and clap-a-long ending. I quite like it.

Guster - Tiny Tree Christmas

4)Electro and xylophone intro, and then interchanging boy-girl vocals. Quite dancy.

Bishop Allen - You'll Never Find My Christmas

5)I recognise the vocals, but I can't place it...is it the dude from Eels? I quite like it. Unfortunately, the track details are listed. It says James Horner, but I'm sure it's Mark Everitt now.

Haha that's funny! It's Eels! :lol:

I don't know where you saw those track details! I deleted everything. Weird. :inquisitive:

Eels - Christmas Is Going To The Dogs

6) Jingle Bells! Hehe, I like the demo-like feel. Sounds like a family messing around the piano after a meal.

First 'parody' song by the famous....Arcade Fire!! Who would have guessed, right? Not me!!

I laughed so hard when I heard it. They probably had a lot to drink when they wrote and sang it. :lol:

Arcade Fire - Jinglebell Rock

7)Fleet Foxes :) Lovely song.

Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal

Glad you like it! :)

8)A girl's voice starts it off on top of some sleigh bell cymbals, and then joined in by more vocals. Not sure how I feel about this, it's nice but yeah, I'm a bit lukewarm towards it.

Best Coast, Wavves - Got Something For You

9)Piano and a man singing with some group female vocals. A nice song overall with a warm feeling to it.

Sufjan Stevens - Put The Lights On A Tree

One of the MANY Christmas songs he wrote! I don't know him that well but he seems to really like writing Christmas songs ;)

10)Again I recognise the vocals, but can't place them! Quite drum/cymbal heavy. I like it, especially the part that starts at around 0:52. Good, fun song for the holidays :)

Coconut Records - It's Christmas

11)Starts off with acoustic guitar and dual female vocals. I like their voices (or maybe it's just one amplified..hmm). Simple song with cute lyrics.

Jenny 0. - Get Down For The Holidays

I know absolutely nothing about her, I just found that song, so I can't say much. :lol:

She's got a pretty voice though, I agree. :)

12)Hehe, this is funny. Like track 6, it sounds like a family singing 12 Days and mucking around after Christmas dinner. Hard not cheer up after this. I like the animal sounds haha. I assume this is from a John Peel session as I hear him afterwards. A great, great man.

Belle And Sebastian - Twelve Days of Christmas

Second 'parody' song!

Again, I really laughed when I heard it and knew it was the famous Belle & Sebastian band, this song is so different from what they usually do! ;)

13)Haha, this a funny little curio. I like it; odd, with slightly zany lyrics :wacky:

The Killers - Don't Shoot Me Santa

Funny lyrics, right? :D

The Killers really like making Christmas songs too. ;)

14)Do they Know it's Christmas Time At All? A decent song for a good cause but at 30 minutes, it's a little too much after a while...

Fucked Up - Do They Know It

What? 30 min? I don't understand. The song's 4:23! :inquisitive:

15)I like this a lot, especially the banjo. Unfortunately, the track info is still there =/ I've been meaning to get into Sufjan properly and I've liked what I've heard by him so far. Including this! :)

Sufjan Stevens - That Was The Worst Christmas Ever

How "funny" is it when you spend 2 hours trying to remove all the details from the songs and when you've finally managed to do it and checked several times to be sure you didn't miss anything you're so proud and then...you just learn that you're just TOTALLY useless at it! :lol:

I should get a class at removing the details from the songs before the next Mixtape exchange. :P

16)Until the 2 minute mark, I was beginning to think this was a bit repetitive, but it picks up after that. I like the guy's voice, I think I may have heard it before as well...Quite a nice song.

Snow Patrol - When I Get Home For Christmas

:)

17)Starts off with a sound bite from a movie maybe and radio feedback. Music starts after 45 seconds or so. The singer has a good voice, and I like the part that starts from 1:51. Overall, quite a nice song.

The Killers - Boots

Their new song. :)

18)The girl has a nice voice. I like the drums in the back. After a while, I realise the singing is quite creepy and halfway through, the music gets quite eerie too. An interesting change in feel. I quite like it!

The Golden Filter - White Nights

19)This has an old fashioned feel to it somehow, but it's modern I think. I like their vocals and the guitar. There could be a problem with the audio quality on this one, though; it cuts out near the beginning.

The Raveonettes - The Christmas Song

The songs sure don't come from CDs! :D

Sorry about the quality. :\

20)The beats and synths give this song a real 80s feel, maybe it is 80s? Its a nice pop song, but it doesn't seem to fit in with the Christmas/winter theme of the rest. Maybe that's the idea?

Sally Shapiro - Anorak Christmas

Swedish Christmas song. :)

From 2008!

21) Crackly intro with quite atmospheric feel to it all. Nice touch to put the new year's song at the end. Its a nice song, but it's not really my cup of tea :/ The singer has a very good voice, though.

Hurts - All I Want For Christmas Is New Year's Day

:heart: :heart: :heart:

(do I look like I'm in love with them?) :P

A duo from Manchester. The singer's Theo Hutchcraft. The synth player's Adam Anderson. They're AMAZING. ;)

So again, thanks for the mixtape. I will be giving it a few more listens, some of the songs weren't really my thing, but overall I enjoyed listening to it! I liked the idea of a theme, and it shows a lot effort was put in to compile over 20 songs on a particular theme. I respect that :)

Thank YOU! I really enjoyed making the tape, I discovered a lot of Christmas songs that I didn't know of and I'm glad you liked the idea of a Christmas theme! ('cause I don't know, if you had hated Christmas I would have been...screwed. :D)

And I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the songs!

:)

Tracklist:

01 - Efterklang - Cutting Ice To Snow

02 - Yo La Tengo - It's Christmas

03 - Guster - Tiny Tree Christmas

04 - Bishop Allen - You'll Never Find My Christmas

05 - Eels - Christmas Is Going To The Dogs

06 - Arcade Fire - Jinglebell Rock

07 - Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal

08 - Best Coast, Wavves - Got Something For You

09 - Sufjan Stevens - Put The Lights On A Tree

10 - Coconut Records - It's Christmas

11 - Jenny 0. - Get Down For The Holidays

12 - Belle And Sebastian - Twelve Days of Christmas

13 - The Killers - Don't Shoot Me Santa

14 - Fucked Up - Do They Know It

15 - Sufjan Stevens - That Was The Worst Christmas Ever

16 - Snow Patrol - When I Get Home For Christmas

17 - The Killers - Boots

18 - The Golden Filter - White Nights

19 - The Raveonettes - The Christmas Song

20 - Sally Shapiro - Anorak Christmas

21 - Hurts - All I Want For Christmas Is New Year's Day

http://www.mediafire.com/?bgbapat4a4gog94

(It's the file with the detailed songs! I thought it would be easier for those who want to download it.)

And if anyone's interested in Christmas 'indie' songs, there are LOTS of tracks here: http://www.indierockcafe.com/music/christmas-indie-songs/christmas-alt-indie-songs.html

Someone told me it was their joke?

Though at first i thought it might be yours cause it was late? :wtf:

Sorry I was so harsh about it. :sad: if i knew it was genuine I'd accept it :uhoh:

I liked one song and was meh about 2 and didn't like the rest.

One girl said it was her joke so I just dismissed it.

WTF.

I'm not sure why someone would say that but no, it was not a joke.

01 Instrumental. Like the gunshot sounds at the beginning. Interested to know who this is.

02 Love the guitar sound.

03 Really like this. Handclaps! Big thumbs up from me.

04 Echoey piano, wibbly sounds, ethereal vocals. Sounds like winter. Really beautiful.

05 Lots of voices, starts off like a hymn. Drums, cool guitar sound, sweet backing vocals, main vocal's interesting, change in tempo, big finish!

06 Probably needs a few more listens to sink in.

07 Probably needs a few more listens to sink in.

08 Like the guitar in the chorus and the "Oooh".

09 Nice drum track. This is really pretty.

10 I used to like Keane, not really been into them for a while now. Nice song though.

11 Is this Thirteen Senses? Not heard anything from them for a while, I'm guessing this is from their new album?

12 I'm a sucker for pretty piano and long tracks that build up and up. Guitar adding some colour, drums coming in. Huge ending. This is gorgeous.

Thank you to whoever made this, I really appreciate it. I particularly enjoyed tracks 3, 4 and 12.

Hey there. I was the one who made your mixtape. Happy to know that you liked

some of the songs. I suck at making mixtape. :P

tracklisting:

1. Set Guitars to Kill by And So I Watch You From Afar

2. Negative by Mansun

3. Corriander by Pomegranates

4. We Have a Map of the Piano by Múm

5. The Wave Ballet by Oh No Ono

6. All The Kings Men by Wild Beasts

7. No Lucifer by British Sea Power

8. Hollywood Bowl by Band Of Skulls

9. Moment Gone by Delays

10. Under The Walnut Tree by Keane

11. Answer by Thirteen Senses

12. Till Våning Tretton by Dorena

Here's the download link:

My review:

1. Song title is Karaoke (the info is there :P). Hmmm, I'm not a big fan of rap music. The vocal is ok though.

2. It's Love Like a Sunset by Phoenix, one of my favourite songs off the new album. Great song.

3. Cheerful song. I quite like it.

4. Sounds familiar..an old song?

5. Wow! What a surprise,New Age music. Sweet Lullaby by Deep Forest. Love it.

6. The beginning of the song reminds me of a Arcade Fire's song. I like this song but it seems bit, too long?

7. Sounds like Metric? Good song.

8. Voice sounds familiar. Gwen Stefani? :P

9. Not bad.

10. Another rap song...don't like it much tbh.

11. Lazy Eye by Silversun Pickups. Great song.

12. This song makes me wanna dance. :D

13. Nice bass. Love the ending, beautiful.

14. Radiohead?

15. Electronic type?..pretty good.

16. Err, kinda annoying but I like the ending.

Well sorry for my bad and boring review. I'll try to do it properly next time.

And thanks so much to my mixtape maker. Apparently I haven't heard most of the songs.

I'll check them out :)

My review:

1. Song title is Karaoke (the info is there :P). Hmmm, I'm not a big fan of rap music. The vocal is ok though.

2. It's Love Like a Sunset by Phoenix, one of my favourite songs off the new album. Great song.

3. Cheerful song. I quite like it.

4. Sounds familiar..an old song?

5. Wow! What a surprise,New Age music. Sweet Lullaby by Deep Forest. Love it.

6. The beginning of the song reminds me of a Arcade Fire's song. I like this song but it seems bit, too long?

7. Sounds like Metric? Good song.

8. Voice sounds familiar. Gwen Stefani? :P

9. Not bad.

10. Another rap song...don't like it much tbh.

11. Lazy Eye by Silversun Pickups. Great song.

12. This song makes me wanna dance. :D

13. Nice bass. Love the ending, beautiful.

14. Radiohead?

15. Electronic type?..pretty good.

16. Err, kinda annoying but I like the ending.

Well sorry for my bad and boring review. I'll try to do it properly next time.

And thanks so much to my mixtape maker. Apparently I haven't heard most of the songs.

I'll check them out :)

This was me!

and heres the tracklist in track order

Drake -Karaoke

Phoenix- Love Like A Sunset

Brazilian Girls- Good Time

David Bowie- Let’s Dance

Deep Forest- Sweet Lullaby

Deerhunter- Desire Lines

Jenny and Johnny- Big Wave

Santogold, N.E.R.D Julian Casablancas Pharrell- My Drive Thru

Of Montreal -An Eluardian Instance

Pete Rock and CL Smooth- They Reminisce Over You

Silversun Pickups- Lazy Eye

Sly and the Family Stone- I want to take you higher

The Flaming Lips -one more robot

Thom Yorke -Analyse

Basement Jaxx -My Turn

The Avalanches -Frontier Psychiatrist

This was me!

and heres the tracklist in track order

Drake -Karaoke

Phoenix- Love Like A Sunset

Brazilian Girls- Good Time

David Bowie- Let’s Dance

Deep Forest- Sweet Lullaby

Deerhunter- Desire Lines

Jenny and Johnny- Big Wave

Santogold, N.E.R.D Julian Casablancas Pharrell- My Drive Thru

Of Montreal -An Eluardian Instance

Pete Rock and CL Smooth- They Reminisce Over You

Silversun Pickups- Lazy Eye

Sly and the Family Stone- I want to take you higher

The Flaming Lips -one more robot

Thom Yorke -Analyse

Basement Jaxx -My Turn

The Avalanches -Frontier Psychiatrist

:surprised:

You have a very diverse taste in music! :D

^ Ahhhhh. You must be Ivet's mixer, I presume. Did you put a lot of Aussie music on there?

Yeah it was hilarious when she told me I was making one for her. I totally thought it was fixed cos she forced me to participate this time! :D And yep put some Aussie stuff on there as always!