✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 7th Mixtape Exchange (1ST POST UPDATE)

ivet

MY REVIEW:

Track 1 – Cool, creepy opening to the mixtape. The augmented vocals work well with the beat although the track doesn’t really go anywhere. It kind of gets a bit repetitive after a while but it’s quite an original sound.

Track 2 – Starts off with a groove and beat similar to Coldplay’s ‘Lost’. Got me intrigued already. The track has a bit of ‘edginess’ to it which sounds almost haunting. Great female vocals soar over the beat, making this quite an epic track. If anything, it’s a bit long.

Track 3 – A folky song that actually sounds like my Bandmate’s girlfriend. Freakishly. I like how the song grows. Female vocals again – a trait of this mixtape? A heart-warming song.

Track 4 – NICE. Now we’re talking. Riff’s got me already – I love that sound in songs. The track has a great energy about it – this is my favourite so far! Real funky afro-pop beats!

Track 5 – Hahaha, what a change-up. This sounds like some hard core girl gang shit! Sorry, it’s almost unlistenable.

Track 6 – Hip-hop continues from the last track. This one has a cool beat but this is one of the only genres of music I genuinely don’t like.

Track 7 – A long, electro-rock track that is purely instrumental. The sound gets so weird that it’s unlistenable.

Track 8 – Really like this track. It almost sounds a bit like new Aussie band “Miami Horror” but I know it isn’t. One of my favourite tracks from the mixtape so far. I hear a French vocal excerpt so it could be French music with English vocals! Nice!

Track 9 – Back to Chris-Brown-esque Hip-Hop. Thumbs down.

Track 10 – Smooth indie. Stripped back compared to the other tracks, this is a nice arrangement. Almost dreamy in fact. A great inclusion. Reminds me of summer! Like! Freakishly similar to COLDPLAY lol it’s way too similar to Strawberry Swing don’t you think?

This actually inspired Strawberry Swing according to Chris Martin

http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=401

Track 11 – Really cool original instrumentation introduces the track but the vocals conflict with it too much.

Track 12 – Dancey. Sounds like a remix. Of a club song. *shudders*

Track 13 – Girl band. Not a great one. YOU MUST BE A GIRL. So many female vocals on this mixtape, this one isn’t that great.

Track 14 – Arcade-fire esque. Mixed with The Boxer Rebellion. The sound is great, could easily be played in a stadium. Interested to find out more!

Track 15 – Soft piano instrumental to end. Was this home recorded?

Overall I was disappointed with this mixtape. The maker obviously didn’t do their research to find out similar music that I would like matched with my interests (last.fm link?!?!?) Or they were spot on in introducing music I would never listen to normally. I seriously have NO idea who made this. Some of the tracks are great, I’d love to know a bit more about Track 4.

I looked at your Last FM profile and chose tracks that I didn't think you'd have heard before.

01 Angel Echoes - Four Tet

02 Apply - Glasser

03 Absentee - Emmy The Great

04 Western Hospitality - Club 8

05 Turn My Swag On - Keri Hilson

06 Rockin' That Shit - The-Dream

07 The Lisbon Maru - Fuck Buttons

08 No Excuses - Air France

09 Get On 1 - The Jacka & Laroo

10 The Rock - Delakota

11 Second Language - Disco Inferno

12 Method Of Modern Love (Richard X Join Our Clique Remix) - Saint Etienne

13 I Never Knew - Cassie

14 Feels Like Glue - Embrace

15 Autumn Hill - Jon Hopkins

I'm a guy by the way.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Braddock! I was you mixtape maker! :nice:

1. Some nice bits to the first song. It's playful, but dark at the same time. Not something I would normally listen to but I'm glad to hear new things. I wasn't a massive fan of the lyrics.
Balthazar - 15 Floors, a young Belgian band.

2. Sounds familiar but I can't think of who it is. This playlist was made by a Coldplay fan. Somebody who still likes Coldplay. I can imagine Chris Martin singing this.
Coldplay? :anxious: Just out of curiosity, did you still think the mixtape was made by a Coldplay fan after finishing it? Cause I don't consider myself to be one, really. :P This is Weekenders by Ozark Henry, another Belgian artist. I never considered this song to be Coldplayish, but I guess I can see the similarities, sort of. :sweatdrop:

3. A change in pace, cool drums. Interesting. I think I have heard this before somewhere. Like in the background to a tv show or something, or maybe before a gig. I like it, good background music.
Soundboy Shift by SBTRKT. Apparently he's an "anonymous producer" and he likes to wear strange masks. IDK. :blank:

4. Back to some song writing. Kind of lo-fi, which is good. A nice song, only short. I'd be interested to know who it is. Haven't recognised a song or artist yet, which is good :)
This is Tim Buckley, Jeff's dad, with Sing a Song for You.

5. Sounds familiar again. Garagey. Female vocalist hmmm. Lo-fi again, kind of. I am massive critic of most female singer but this one suits the music. Like why I am a fan of Karen O. I'll take a stab at it being PJ Harvey but I could be way off since I always forget what she sounds like. I like it though.
Another localish band called Bettie Serveert. This is Kid's Allright (yes it's supposed to be spelt that way) from their first album Palomine, released in the early 90s. It's a great pop album, so if you liked this song, I'd recommend giving that album a listen.

6. The National? I could be wrong but I'm probably not. They are OK but I find the vocalist to be interesting on first listen, but then once you've heard one song you've heard them all. This is better than the others I've heard though, admittedly. He isn't forcing his voice as much, which makes me hesitant as to say it is them since I haven't heard him exactly like this before. if it's not The National then I prefer these but fear I'll fear the same for them and hope there aren't going to be about 8 National spin off bands like what happened with The Strokes and the Libertines. he guitar reminds me of 'If You Could Read My Mind' by Gordon Lightfoot in places.
Yes, it's The National. They have a pretty distinct sound because of Matt Berninger's voice. This song is from their third album Alligator (which is, in my opinion, a lot better than the last two albums) and the song is called Daughters of the Soho Riots. The National spin off bands sound like a very bad idea, that better not happen. :blank:

7. Piano. Sounds like a classical piece so far though vocals could come. It's very welcome :) It's relaxing, yet at the same time quite poignant, so not boring. I am impressed with the variety so far in the playlist. Yeah, this was nice.
Ambre by Nils Frahm, a young(ish) German composer.

8. Back to drums and guitar. Not something I would listen to, but it's not annoying. In fact, it's a grower. A decent album track for the playlist.
Go Back to the Zoo - I'm the Night (See You Later). Another Dutch band, though this song is a tad newer.

9. Interesting start. Sounds good. Now whether it will go cool or irritating haha... It reminds me of that youtube clip 'little girl loves aphex twin' where they sample her voice. This didn't get irritating by the way.
:lol: That video is.. wellll.. very interesting in a good way. Or just really awesome. :dead: The song is You by Gold Panda. I'm not really sure how to describe Gold Panda. Usually, the tracks are very electronic and repertitive, but nog in a boring way. But he also uses the acoustic guitars and unusual vocals in his music, which makes a really interesting combination. This track, for example, is from the same album.

10. Another change. I like it. Bluesy rock.
DeWolff - Don't You Go Up The Sky. A young Dutch band, I believe one of the members is still in secondary school. This song doesn't really do them justice because they're so much better when playing live. (
) It's one of the very few "new" Dutch bands I genuinely like, mainly because they tend to sound like a mix between The Doors and The Black Keys.

11. Man, some of these sound so familiar. I can't believe how awful I am at recognising these. Decent song, album track.
The Van Jets - The Future. My reaction was exactly the same when I first heard this song. :tongue:

12. Back on the piano. Decent female voice. I rarely listen to this genre, but once again it's decent, mainly because the piano sounds different and the singer doesn't try to sound too different.
I have to admit I don't really listen much to this sort of music either because I'm incredibly picky with female vocalists. This is Italian Family by Schradinova, another Dutch singer (I didn't realize I put so many local artists on my tape before writing this reply. That's really.. unusual :thinking:). If you like the singer/music, I'd recommend checking out Room Eleven, her previous band.

13. Live track. Johnny Cash methinks. I find him very hit and miss but this is closer to a hit, especially for a live track. Added to this it wasn't too long. Yeah, good.
Yep, this is I Got Stripes by Johnny Cash from At Folsom Prison, one of his two live albums recorded in a prison (the other one being San Quentin). I'm a massive Johnny Cash fan, so for me making a mixtape without including him wouldn't be right. Mostly because I want to share his awesomeness, but also because I feel like he's incredibly underrated at this forum. I don't listen much to his older stuff except for the prison recordings, but the American Recordings series is amazing. Glad you enjoyed this one. :nice:

14. Decent start. Debating on whether I like the voice or not. For the first two seconds i really didn't, but I think it was just a shock with the volume haha. Another genre I wouldn't listen to much but seems OK. Not a fan of the chorus though. The verses are decent though.
Uh, the volume? *tries* Hm.. that's quite a difference indeed. I think it might be because I ripped the JC track myself, or maybe this track is just really loud. Sorry 'bout that. Anyway, this is The Tallest Man On Earth with The Dreamer. This track features an electric guitar, which is quite unusual for The Tallest Man because everything he's done before the song was acoustic. His voice requires some getting used to, but the music is very much worth it. He's also an incredible live artist, even though (or rather, because) he's on stage alone with just his guitar.

Overall, a good playlist. I enjoyed it and there wasn't a song I disliked. I definitely want to see the tracklisting too as there are some I want to look into :)

Thank you for taking the time to make a playlist and also for making it varied. I enjoyed it and will be listening to it again!

:hug:

I'm really glad you enjoyed it as I wasn't really sure what to put on the tape. That's what happens when there's last.fm profile to stalk. :D Most of the songs I picked are ones that I recently discovered, combined with a few songs I've known for ages. Hopefully I've managed to introduce you to a few new artists. :nice:

Tracklisting:

1 Fifteen Floors - Balthazar (Applause, 2010)

2 Weekenders - Ozark Henry (A Decade, 2007)

3 Soundboy Shift - SBTRKT (Soundboy Shift, 2010)

4 Sing a Song for You - Tim Buckley (The Dreams Belong to Me, 1968)

5 Kid's Allright - Bettie Serveert (Palomine, 1992)

6 Daughters of the Soho Riots - The National (Alligator, 2005)

7 Ambre - Nils Frahm (Wintermusik, 2009)

8 I'm the Night (See You Later) - Go Back to the Zoo (Benny Blisto, 2010)

9 You - Gold Panda (Lucky Shiner, 2010)

10 Don't You Go up the Sky - DeWolff (Strange Fruits and Undiscovered Plants, 2009)

11 The Future - The Van Jets (Cat Fit Fury, 2010)

12 Italian Family - Schradinova (India Lima Oscar Victor Echo You, 2010)

13 I Got Stripes - Johnny Cash (At Folsom Prison, 1968)

14 The Dreamer - The Tallest Man on Earth (Sometimes the Blues Is Just a Passing Bird, 2010)

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?x6tii888g62lcdk

Spotify playlist (whoo hoo): http://open.spotify.com/user/fietssleutel/playlist/03ZjZhMVjnBhV1yDfGH7d4 (

)

My very belated (which I am very sorry about!) review. Sorry again! :(

Track 1: opens with a guitary bit, then drums join in to make sort of like a march like sound. Good entry to the mixtape! :lol: Some singing in the background at the beginning of the song... I like that :dance:. The singer’s voice is very distinctive. I really like the clicking of drumsticks about half way through. Enjoyed the song right the way through. An excellent first track! :dance:

Track 2: the start of this song is quite interesting... I didn’t really know what to think of it :confused:. But then the singing started and I felt a little better. I liked the beat. Very catchy! It remained fairly similar throughout, lots of soary strings and such. Not bad!

Track 3: instantly in this one you’re hit with strong vocals. Couldn’t really tell if they were female or male! :lol: The lead singer sounded similar to the one in the first track. Don’t know why, but there you go. Again, another very catchy song. I’ve actually listened to it heaps! The drums in the background sort of sound similar to those in Lost!, and that made it a whole lot better :wacky:. Overall, a great choice. It fit in very well with the other two tracks. Great choice!

Track 4: the start of this song was funny. The strings sound sort of corny! But I like that. I love the bells in the background towards the end. Yeah... basically this song was too short :lol:. I was enjoying it way too much when it ended.

Track 5: I wasn’t so much a fan of this one. It’s ok with the strong beats and simulated instruments, but y’know. It’s ok, but... I dunno :tongue:. Don’t know what else to say. Sorry! :embarrassed:

Track 6: I really loved this one! :wacky: It sort of sounded mysterious, what with its distanty vocals, all overlapping each other. Love, love, love it! :dance: And how it faded away at the end... awesome. :wacky::wacky::wacky:

Track 7: the voice of the lead singer is so deep in this one. I love how you included this in the mix. It just so suits that position! :dance: The lyrics are great, the sound is great. The guitar sound is amazing. Yeah, I love this too. Great choice!

Ok, so far you’ve gone pretty well... :dance: let’s see how the second half is!

Track 8: another mysterious track. It sort of reminded me of Apparatjik. Don’t know why, but oh well :shrug:. The soft drums slowly get louder as the song goes on, and the female vocals are awesome. You’ve got good taste, my friend! I really liked this one too. Electronic beeps bring the song to a close nicely. I like!

Track 9: this song began sort of like something of a movie soundtrack, what with the strong drums. The vocals made it a little unusual, but the rest of the song was excellent, and I loved the piano playing in the background. Just made it another great track. And the drums at the end were pretty damn awesome :dance:.

Track 10: I honestly didn’t expect this song to go how it did. I was expecting a strong, crazy guitar fest, but no. A nice, gentle guitary compilation surprised me enormously. But that’s not a bad thing :lol:. I liked how this incorporated with the other tracks. Yet another great choice.

Track 11: I swear I know this song from somewhere... maybe an ad for something? Just so familiar. Oh well :shrug:. I don’t usually like this type of musical style, but I guess it fit in well here. It reminded me of space, as odd as that sounds.

Track 12: I like the echo of this song. It sort sounds like Freelance Whales, if you know who they are :lol:. I also liked how the tambourine was playing in the background. It made a very nice sound, and you can probably tell by the other songs that I like here that I’m into alternative. So this was a great choice! :lol: :wacky:

Track 13: if this isn’t Florence and the Machine, I swear... those sounds are so totally Florence. That voice and the drums and soary tunes. Love it :wacky::wacky::wacky:. Not even kidding. I don’t think I need to say any more.

Track 14: this song was pretty awesome. I liked how the guitar was so... I dunno. It’s just awesome! How it gets louder and stronger... no. I loved it. No, seriously. I love this mixtape.

Track 15: at first I thought this song was all classical, but that was pretty silly of me, wasn’t it? Now... is this the same artist as the first track, just as a guess? A lovely way to finish off the mixtape. The soft lyrics and strings are just lovely, and a Christmas song is quite relevant considering the time of year! :wacky:

Thank you so much for such an incredible mixtape. I really enjoyed listening to it, and I have replayed a few of the tracks over and over! :lol: Although there were a couple of tracks I didn’t really like that much, it was overall really great. I give it a... 9 out of 10! :dance: Yay high scores!! :dance:

Yeah, so thank you, and I’m very, very, VERY sorry for it being so dreadfully late! It was fantastic anyways, and thanks for liking the same music as me!

Hi, this was my mixtape! I'm so glad you liked it, haha your review made me really happy :wacko:

Here's the tracklisting:

1. Wide Eyes – Local Natives (Gorilla Manor)

2. Not a Robot, But a Ghost – Andrew Bird (Noble Beast)

3. Action/Reaction – Choir of Young Believers (This is for the White in Your Eyes)

4. Winter ’05 – Ra Ra Riot (The Rhumb Line)

5. Got 2 Let U – The Knife (Deep Cuts)

6. Alabaster – Foals (Total Life Forever)

7. Green Gloves – The National (Boxer)

8. Sugar for the War Machine – Epo-555 (Dexter Fox)

9. La piqûre – Karkwa (Le Chemins de Verre)

10. Comfort to the Dalai Lama – The Rumour Said Fire (The Arrogant)

11. Low Shoulder – Toro y Moi (Causers of This)

12. Honour the Dead, or Else – Owen Pallett (A Swedish Love Story)

13. Blinding – Florence + the Machine (Lungs)

14. Stay Where You Are – Ambulance LTD (Ambulance LTD)

15. Sister Winter – Sufjan Stevens (Songs for Christmas)

Link here if anyone wants to download it.

Hello Braddock! I was you mixtape maker! :nice:

Balthazar - 15 Floors, a young Belgian band.

Coldplay? :anxious: Just out of curiosity, did you still think the mixtape was made by a Coldplay fan after finishing it? Cause I don't consider myself to be one, really. :P This is Weekenders by Ozark Henry, another Belgian artist. I never considered this song to be Coldplayish, but I guess I can see the similarities, sort of. :sweatdrop:

Soundboy Shift by SBTRKT. Apparently he's an "anonymous producer" and he likes to wear strange masks. IDK. :blank:

This is Tim Buckley, Jeff's dad, with Sing a Song for You.

Another localish band called Bettie Serveert. This is Kid's Allright (yes it's supposed to be spelt that way) from their first album Palomine, released in the early 90s. It's a great pop album, so if you liked this song, I'd recommend giving that album a listen.

Yes, it's The National. They have a pretty distinct sound because of Matt Berninger's voice. This song is from their third album Alligator (which is, in my opinion, a lot better than the last two albums) and the song is called Daughters of the Soho Riots. The National spin off bands sound like a very bad idea, that better not happen. :blank:

Ambre by Nils Frahm, a young(ish) German composer.

Go Back to the Zoo - I'm the Night (See You Later). Another Dutch band, though this song is a tad newer.

:lol: That video is.. wellll.. very interesting in a good way. Or just really awesome. :dead: The song is You by Gold Panda. I'm not really sure how to describe Gold Panda. Usually, the tracks are very electronic and repertitive, but nog in a boring way. But he also uses the acoustic guitars and unusual vocals in his music, which makes a really interesting combination. This track, for example, is from the same album.

DeWolff - Don't You Go Up The Sky. A young Dutch band, I believe one of the members is still in secondary school. This song doesn't really do them justice because they're so much better when playing live. (

) It's one of the very few "new" Dutch bands I genuinely like, mainly because they tend to sound like a mix between The Doors and The Black Keys.

The Van Jets - The Future. My reaction was exactly the same when I first heard this song. :tongue:

I have to admit I don't really listen much to this sort of music either because I'm incredibly picky with female vocalists. This is Italian Family by Schradinova, another Dutch singer (I didn't realize I put so many local artists on my tape before writing this reply. That's really.. unusual :thinking:). If you like the singer/music, I'd recommend checking out Room Eleven, her previous band.

Yep, this is I Got Stripes by Johnny Cash from At Folsom Prison, one of his two live albums recorded in a prison (the other one being San Quentin). I'm a massive Johnny Cash fan, so for me making a mixtape without including him wouldn't be right. Mostly because I want to share his awesomeness, but also because I feel like he's incredibly underrated at this forum. I don't listen much to his older stuff except for the prison recordings, but the American Recordings series is amazing. Glad you enjoyed this one. :nice:

Uh, the volume? *tries* Hm.. that's quite a difference indeed. I think it might be because I ripped the JC track myself, or maybe this track is just really loud. Sorry 'bout that. Anyway, this is The Tallest Man On Earth with The Dreamer. This track features an electric guitar, which is quite unusual for The Tallest Man because everything he's done before the song was acoustic. His voice requires some getting used to, but the music is very much worth it. He's also an incredible live artist, even though (or rather, because) he's on stage alone with just his guitar.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it as I wasn't really sure what to put on the tape. That's what happens when there's last.fm profile to stalk. :D Most of the songs I picked are ones that I recently discovered, combined with a few songs I've known for ages. Hopefully I've managed to introduce you to a few new artists. :nice:

Tracklisting:

1 Fifteen Floors - Balthazar (Applause, 2010)

2 Weekenders - Ozark Henry (A Decade, 2007)

3 Soundboy Shift - SBTRKT (Soundboy Shift, 2010)

4 Sing a Song for You - Tim Buckley (The Dreams Belong to Me, 1968)

5 Kid's Allright - Bettie Serveert (Palomine, 1992)

6 Daughters of the Soho Riots - The National (Alligator, 2005)

7 Ambre - Nils Frahm (Wintermusik, 2009)

8 I'm the Night (See You Later) - Go Back to the Zoo (Benny Blisto, 2010)

9 You - Gold Panda (Lucky Shiner, 2010)

10 Don't You Go up the Sky - DeWolff (Strange Fruits and Undiscovered Plants, 2009)

11 The Future - The Van Jets (Cat Fit Fury, 2010)

12 Italian Family - Schradinova (India Lima Oscar Victor Echo You, 2010)

13 I Got Stripes - Johnny Cash (At Folsom Prison, 1968)

14 The Dreamer - The Tallest Man on Earth (Sometimes the Blues Is Just a Passing Bird, 2010)

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?x6tii888g62lcdk

Spotify playlist (whoo hoo): http://open.spotify.com/user/fietssleutel/playlist/03ZjZhMVjnBhV1yDfGH7d4 (

)

Hey! Thank you!

Yeah, a lot of dutch bands but that is good. Great that you've got a spotify link. Much appreciated.

Also very happy you managed to provide me with all the information on the bands in the post I just quoted.

Bryce, calm down. It's only Friday. Maybe your mixtape person is busy. I know I had finals week this week, so I've been a bit all over the place. I know that doesn't say much, considering I did manage to make time to review my tape, but hey, maybe yours wasn't so lucky. I'd give it a few more days before you start to fully worry.

At any rate, if it ends up getting to that point, I'd be more than happy to review it for you. Granted, I only have dial-up at my house, so it'd take a bit of time to get it fully downloaded, but I'll be on Christmas break, so I'll have that time available to me. :smiley:

Ok, I lied. As soon as I started listening I felt like typing so I've rebooted my computer. Like Eddie, my person gave away their identity on the megaupload page. :P

1. Happy descending guitar melody...ugh, not big on the vocals at all. Chords, bass and backing vocals are decent enough I guess, but the chorus is tough to swallow. Just not interesting IMO. Boring pop-rock song.

2. Haha, Disarm by Smashing Pumpkins. Classic. Actually haven't heard it in quite a while, can't really put it down in any way so...nice.

3. Urgh...5 seconds in I wanted to skip to the next track. I knew right away that this wasn't going to surprise or impress me in any way. I recognise the voice from somewhere. American Idol maybe.

4. Sounds like Matt Bellamy improvising on the piano for 3 minutes. If not, its some late Romantic Rachmaninoff-esque piece. 1:20 sounds like the start of a Muse song though, so I'll stick with my first guess. Not my favorite style, but it's def. impressive and kinda refreshing. Thanks.

5. I literally burst out laughing when this started (Not in a bad or mean way). Boston by Augustana. While I haven't heard this in ages and feel like I've kinda outgrown it, it does summon nostalgia from when I was first getting it coldplay and heard these guys regularly on the radio. I even remember figuring it out on piano. So...can't pretend I don't enjoy hearing this again. I feel like I would enjoy this mix much more if I were about 5 years younger.

6. Nice piano arpeggios. Voice sounds increasingly like Noel Gallagher as it goes along, but I'm not sure. End has a real Oasis charm to it... I like it.

My person split the mix into two 'sides'. So here goes #2...

7. strong beat and muted electric guitars. Singer sounds like the guy from Keane just come from having a few teeth removed. Like some of the other songs, just can't warm up to it in any way. Another song I probably would've liked five years ago that now just kinda bores me. Sorry.

8. Tapping hi-hat and a subdued guitar riff. Ugh! Kill It! Sorry, just don't see the appeal in the singer's voice. From the get go I can't take any of it seriously. Okay, it's not that bad, just kinda frustrated. The violin is nice, but otherwise, not a fan.

9. The Killers - Smile Like You Mean It. Always liked this little diddy, so no complaints here. :)

10. Saxophone, muted guitar, drums, far off shouts. Strong beatles-era retro vibe. McCartney? maybe not. This track definitely stands out from the rest. I like it.

11. Synth Bass and drums. The Fray? Not bad. Not enraptured, but it's enjoyable.

12. Minor-key Country vibe with slide guitar. Neutral on the voice. Neutral in general actually. Pretty short song.

Thanks for the mixtape. I had trouble getting excited about most of it, but it had a few high points. In any case it introduced me to a few songs and styles I wouldn't otherwise have heard, and reintroducing me to songs I had long forgotten.

Yeah, when I made that mixtape I wasn't really thinking straight, so I just put some of the tracks I liked listening to at the time on it, so sorry 'bout that. ):

Shame you didn't like some of the times, with my finals rolling in this week, I honestly didn't have any time to see what your interests were.

I'm very well aware that most of the songs are pretty boring, but I tried not to be too predicable (looks like I didn't do a very good job of that :\).

If you want, I can remake it.

Bryce, calm down. It's only Friday. Maybe your mixtape person is busy. I know I had finals week this week, so I've been a bit all over the place. I know that doesn't say much, considering I did manage to make time to review my tape, but hey, maybe yours wasn't so lucky. I'd give it a few more days before you start to fully worry.

At any rate, if it ends up getting to that point, I'd be more than happy to review it for you. Granted, I only have dial-up at my house, so it'd take a bit of time to get it fully downloaded, but I'll be on Christmas break, so I'll have that time available to me. :smiley:

Thankyou for the reassurance. They haven't been posting much on the forum in general either so they might be a bit busy, as long as they haven't forgot I'm fine.

Thankyou for the reassurance. They haven't been posting much on the forum in general either so they might be a bit busy, as long as they haven't forgot I'm fine.

Hey, no problem. :nice:

Can anybody tell me if my mixtape partner has already posted the tracklist?

If so then I must have missed it

I don't think he/she did, Julia. Sorry. :\

MY REVIEW:

TRACK 1- Ohh! I know this song! I know it from the Mark Ronson cover….and the Coldplay one! I really like this version. I presume this is the original version by the Smiths??? I think. Anyway the song is ‘Stop Me (If you think that you’ve heard this one before)’ :D Lovely opener.

TRACK 2- The voice is instantly recognisable! It is Kings Of Leon but I don’t know what song it is, to be honest, I’ve only been listening to their recent stuff, I love their new album. This song is really nice.

TRACK 3- LITTLE COMETS!!!!!!! Man! I missed the chance to go see them recently! Lovely song. I’ll sit back and relax to a cool new band who I’m sure will be going on to great things

TRACK 4- Strings…hmm…a female voice. One thing about me is that I barely ever listen to female singers, I don’t why, I’m not sexist or anything! Haha! But this is a lovely little ditty. I really want to know who this is.

TRACK 5- I recognise this voice….Ahhh! Who is it? Sounds a bit like…Noah and The Whale? I really love this song now, I mean REALLY like it. I really want to know who this is!

TRACK 6- Don’t know who this is, I quite like it. It is my least favourite so far though.

TRACK 7- Another female voice. Is it Florence in the machine??????? I don’t like it. Sorry.

TRACK 8- Sounds like Elbow…I think! This is a nice song. Nice and uplifting.

TRACK 9- County!!! Sort of, is it that guy who sang ‘Trouble’ Ray something….I do really like this J

TRACK 10- Female vocals…in a different language. French? Maybe?…and then PAOLO NUTINI! PAOLO FUCKING NUTINI! I love that man…it is definitely his! What the hell is this song? It is amazing. I listen to LOADS of Paolo Nutini but why do I not know this track???

TRACK 11- Don’t know who this is but I do like it, good harmonies at the end!

TRACK 12- KELE- Everything You Wanted. One of the better tracks from an average album. Whenever I listen to this song though I get it into my head for days!!!

TRACK 13- Start sounds like ‘Know Your Enemy’ by Green Day…but it’s not, haha. But it is SNOW PATROL, But I don’t know what song. I really like it though, I do need to delve into their back catalogue at some point.

TRACK 14- Cee Lo Green- Fuck You. I love this song, it’s amazing. Soooo funky!

TRACK 15- What is this song? It builds up and builds up into something massive. I really want to know what this is. One of the best on the mixtape.

TRACK 16- Biffy Clyro- Many Of Horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this song. I love Biffy Clyro. I was meant to see them last month…but I lost my ticket. It was not good.

A REALLY GOOD MIXTAPE! Thank you very much. It was a pleasure to listen to even though I knew a fair few of the tracks.

OKAY, my review is here:

(sorry, it's a bit short, I have a cold and I wanna go to bed soon)

mixg.jpg

Track 1 -

This is nice, I like this one. Nice intro, has a kind of Kings of Leon feel about it in the beginning then the distorted guitar reminds me of The Black Keys. Sounds American. Not quite sure on the guy's vocal, it doesn't quite suit the song enough, it'd be better with a stronger vocal. This is a good track tho, I'd be interested to hear more from this band.

Track 2 -

Interesting beginning, nice sound-bite there. Track kicks off with a good beat, sounding fun and playful. Almost a muted vocal tho, bit dreary but quite nice, the contrast works well.

Track 3 -

Another decent track, nothing out of the ordinary but it is nice. Foot-tapping.

Track 4 -

Good start, funky bassline, raw and dirty guitar. Musically I really like this, but the vocals I don't like. It's that semi-punk style vocal, kind of like the Wombats/Futureheads, that sort of angry/punctuated vocal that I don't much care for. Towards the end it sounds almost the same as a track by The Wonder Stuff called Good Night Though from 1989 (the "goodbye, goodbye, goodbye" bit). So I'd be interested to know how old your track is.

Track 5 -

Better vocals, sounds a bit like James Dean Bradfield. Quite a laidback sort of track, kinda sleepy. Like it.

Track 6 -

Pace picks up a little now. This is what Yeasayer would sound like if they went all rocky. That synth-ey distorted guitar rhythm reminds me of O.N.E. by yeasayer. I like this, especially when the guitar really kicks off and goes a bit mental and quite grungey.

Track 7 -

Ooooh this is sweet. I love the steel/country guitar on this, reminds me of an artist I like called Neville Skelly, he writes tracks like this, with a slight country/folk edge to it. I'm interested to know who this is.

Track 8 -

Instrumental. Quite nice & atmospheric , makes a nice little interlude but I kept expecting it to go somewhere or do something but it never actually did. Reminds me of an Apparatjik track, Frozen Fingers.

Track 9 -

Slow start and I'm thinking "oh ok, another instrumental, hmmm" then the vocal pops up, I like this track, it's an epic long one at 10 mins but one that builds well. It's just that coming so close after the other long one of #6 makes it seem a little like overkill. Out of the two, I prefer number 6 but this one is good too. I like the piano and the way that the guitar builds, but it's a couple of minutes too long, temptingly skippable.

Track 10 -

Ooooh this is different. Finger clicks, vocal harmonies, this is sweet. Reminds me of a Scottish band I got into recently, Kassidy, they do a lot of the harmonies like this. Again, I'd be interested to hear more from these.

Overall, the mix has a great flow, you did well with the ordering. A small criticism would be the similarity of quite a lot of the tracks; there's plenty of bits that I really liked but not one whole song that stood out and made me go "Wow". But on the other hand, I liked all the tracks (I just didn't fall in love with any of them, sorry, apart from maybe Track 7 now that I've played it over a few more times). I didn't recognise anything, nor was I spoilered either, which is always a good thing :)

Highlights: Track 1, the last 2 mins of Track 6, Track 7, Track 10

And nice artwork btw :D

Thanks for the tape, I look forward to seeing the tracklist and finding out who you are :thumbsup: