✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[4-June-2011] Coldplay @ Rock am Ring: Nürburgring, Germany (Live Stream links in 1st post)

r25d01

So lets assume the rumors are true and the new album is called 'Major Minus'/

Then this album would remind me of rush of blood. The title track for rush of blood was very like this style of music.

Major minus just reminds me of Rush of blood I guess.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can scroll to the Coldplay part, if you want to. I'll not mention every band I've seen. Just the highlights/important ones.

Wednesay 4 am: I woke up, had a shower, some breakfast, packed the car, picked up a friend and off to the Nürburgring.

7 am: Building up the tents and pavillons. First Rock am Ring with all herrings in the ground (which made us survive Saturday night)

After a while our whole group (excluding some stragglers) arrived. So great to see them all again, since some of us only see each other once a year. It's a group whith a main body of about 15 people and always ca. 5 more people coming too.

After work was done, we turned the music up, got our records on and felt our hearts start beating to our favourite songs, freaked out and looked forward to hearing some of them live in the next couple of days. Unfortunately the player was broken but we had lots of fun anyway. And there's always music from the neighbours.

So, the rest of the Wednesday and the whole Thursday consisted of drinking, singing, relaxing, having fun. Over the years this has become a major part of the festival for us, just because this is like being on vacation. You shut the world outside. And everybody, despite their social status and positions in real life, can behave and live primitively. I don't mean picking up fights and getting drunk until you're completely knocked out (though I have to admit there's also a decent amount of alocohol involved). It's more about a certain easyness of the festival lifestyle.

Friday: First regular festival day with concerts. Btw this was the first RaR that I've watched every headliner on the main stage. Front area every day. Aaaand before the gigs started, I grabbed someone else's smartphone to listen to the new single :-D Liked it a lot and was relieved they didn't fuck it up. Hoped I'd still hear some more new songs the following day...

Gaslight Anthem (quite catchy Punkrock): Very great. But the voice should have been louder during the first songs. They, espacially the singer, really enjoyed themselves and performed with a lot of passion. Looking forward to see them again some time.

Mando Diao (unplugged): Thought my Mando time was over and this unplugged thing wouldn't be really good. And the two other RaR performances I've seen them doing were not really good ('though they can do a lot better). But this time they really convinced me again (and my friends were with me on Friday).

Kings Of Leon: Audience only knew the recent hits. Quite few participation but also few interaction. Musically it was great. Probably better at own gigs.

Saturday The one I was looking forward to most, obviously.

Morning Parade: Recommandation! Catchy, interestin, Coldplay influences.

Ash: Quite nice. My mom saw me on the TV...

Hurts: Before the show: I loved some of their songs, didn't like some of the others. Their performance absolutely impressed me. Fantastic, passionate singer with a great intensity.

The Kooks: Alright. Used to like them, now I only like a few of their songs. Gig didn't really change that.

Söhne Mannheims: Well... they were okay, but I don't really like them. Like most of the people that go to a festival like this.

Coldplay: Lets's be honest. When you walked through the camping site, talked to other people, or communicated with people on the Internet, you could get the impression that not toooo many people would go and watch them. Nevertheless I was sure that there'd still be enough people to not make it be embarassing and that Coldplay would rock the Ring and make some new fans. But I always expected the weakest Coldplay audience so far. So, what I've seen really blew my mind. I was happy that all of my RaR-friends who wanted to see them was with me (even one who came later), so that we could enjoy it all together. But I expected more space around us! The front area was pretty packed, just like the rest seemed to be, according to what could be seen on the screens! Before the show started, people sang the famous Viva-"Oooohoooohooooh". Nothing too special you might think, but I haven't heard that prior to all of the Viva concerts and therefore I didn't expect that at RaR.

I was wondering which song they'd start with and went for Yellow or In My Place. Politik is also a great opener, but I thought they should open with a well known single, if they'd do more of a Greatest Hits set. Also, I always hoped they'd do 2 or 3 new songs. But well, my broad grinning started to appear and decided not to disappear again too quickly and then the show started. Lovely light effects and visuals came along with... a NEW song!!! Not "Every Teardrop..." but a completely new one. Being in a state of excitement and joy, I soaked it all in. When I heard the line "It hurts like heaven", I immediatley knew the song title =) After that they did the songs I'd expected them to start with and the crowd danced, sang and enjoyed. The played more and more new songs and I was just freaking out (broad grinning still on, of course). There were even songs I never heard the title of! :D I loved all of them. Me and my friends came to the conclusion that this has to be a very very brilliant new album! After the Scientist we all continued singing the chorous. Astounding! And after all those sunny and hot days, we got real "Ring wheather" on Saturday evening but nobobdy seemed to care. In fact, that even seemed to make it better! The rain made the laser effetcs look even more beautiful. The climax of this was during "Viva La Vida", when the raindrops were a waterfall and the audience went absolutely nuts nevertheless. And then there were "COLDPLAY! COLDPLAY!" shoutings several times. My home festival's audience just celebrated my favourite band. That was more than I had dreamed of. The band seemed to enjoy it too and once again, Chris was a great frontman with a lot of interaction. Later, Chris started playing "Life Is For Living" and I was shouting "YEEEES! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!" A few people were turning their heads but I didn't mind. Never ever thought I'd hear this one live! So awesome! They finished with "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall". Quite scary that I could already sing along to most of it ;-) And at the end, when Chris sang "is a waaaaaterfaaaaaall" I was seriously wondering if he meant the teardrops or the raindrops...

Me and my friends were overexcited and happy. But once the show finished, the rain was getting on our nerves. My foot swam in my shoes and I was praying for our tents to be dry. Luckily they were. Fantastic day, fantastic Coldplay concert, a lot of surprises (so good it was only the 2nd show, thus I couldn't spoil it for myself) and an extremely happy Coldplay fan =)

Sunday

Sad that it was already the last day. Put all our stuff in our cars, said our goodbyes and hoped to see us again in the near future or at least at next year's Rock am Ring.

Mastodon: My best friend (no metal fan either) likes them, so I gave them a try. Waaay to loud, shitty sound

Avenged Sevenfold: Weird stage decoration... eeeevil... Went to the toilet (or waited for it...) but I was positively surprised by this band. Kind of got me, maybe beacuse it was not just heavy btu they also had some nice singing. Will listen to them again.

Volbeat: Quite good. A little monotonous from time to time.

Beatsteaks: What an atmosphere!!!!! Everyone went soooo crazy! Awesome concert, awesome live band!

System Of A Down: They're weird but I kind of like them. Did a very good gig. Great final act.

So, I had a fantastic experience =)

Unbelieveable

Just watched the HD vids of Coldplay at Rock Am Ring and they were AWESOME! Johnny really has 'come out of his cocoon' as Chris said a while back.

This new album sounds like its gona be goood, alot of it reminds me of Pendulum somehow. Especially Major Minus and ETIAW.

I don't know if thats good or not!

Thoughts...

I rewarded myself by seeing the recorded show and fell in love with Coldplay all over again even though I already loved them. :blush: I imagine it would be like this if you rewed, when you are already married. :P

What a great performance! :dance: I'm beginning to love the new songs. It makes me wish I was going to a festival this summer. :(

Chris is looking fiiiiiiine. :blush:

You can scroll to the Coldplay part, if you want to. I'll not mention every band I've seen. Just the highlights/important ones.

Wednesay 4 am: I woke up, had a shower, some breakfast, packed the car, picked up a friend and off to the Nürburgring.

7 am: Building up the tents and pavillons. First Rock am Ring with all herrings in the ground (which made us survive Saturday night)

After a while our whole group (excluding some stragglers) arrived. So great to see them all again, since some of us only see each other once a year. It's a group whith a main body of about 15 people and always ca. 5 more people coming too.

After work was done, we turned the music up, got our records on and felt our hearts start beating to our favourite songs, freaked out and looked forward to hearing some of them live in the next couple of days. Unfortunately the player was broken but we had lots of fun anyway. And there's always music from the neighbours.

So, the rest of the Wednesday and the whole Thursday consisted of drinking, singing, relaxing, having fun. Over the years this has become a major part of the festival for us, just because this is like being on vacation. You shut the world outside. And everybody, despite their social status and positions in real life, can behave and live primitively. I don't mean picking up fights and getting drunk until you're completely knocked out (though I have to admit there's also a decent amount of alocohol involved). It's more about a certain easyness of the festival lifestyle.

Friday: First regular festival day with concerts. Btw this was the first RaR that I've watched every headliner on the main stage. Front area every day. Aaaand before the gigs started, I grabbed someone else's smartphone to listen to the new single :-D Liked it a lot and was relieved they didn't fuck it up. Hoped I'd still hear some more new songs the following day...

Gaslight Anthem (quite catchy Punkrock): Very great. But the voice should have been louder during the first songs. They, espacially the singer, really enjoyed themselves and performed with a lot of passion. Looking forward to see them again some time.

Mando Diao (unplugged): Thought my Mando time was over and this unplugged thing wouldn't be really good. And the two other RaR performances I've seen them doing were not really good ('though they can do a lot better). But this time they really convinced me again (and my friends were with me on Friday).

Kings Of Leon: Audience only knew the recent hits. Quite few participation but also few interaction. Musically it was great. Probably better at own gigs.

Hurts: Before the show: I loved some of their songs, didn't like some of the others. Their performance absolutely impressed me. Fantastic, passionate singer with a great intensity.

The Kooks: Alright. Used to like them, now I only like a few of their songs. Gig didn't really change that.

Söhne Mannheims: Well... they were okay, but I don't really like them. Like most of the people that go to a festival like this.

Coldplay: Lets's be honest. When you walked through the camping site, talked to other people, or communicated with people on the Internet, you could get the impression that not toooo many people would go and watch them. Nevertheless I was sure that there'd still be enough people to not make it be embarassing and that Coldplay would rock the Ring and make some new fans. But I always expected the weakest Coldplay audience so far. So, what I've seen really blew my mind. I was happy that all of my RaR-friends who wanted to see them was with me (even one who came later), so that we could enjoy it all together. But I expected more space around us! The front area was pretty packed, just like the rest seemed to be, according to what could be seen on the screens! Before the show started, people sang the famous Viva-"Oooohoooohooooh". Nothing too special you might think, but I haven't heard that prior to all of the Viva concerts and therefore I didn't expect that at RaR.

I was wondering which song they'd start with and went for Yellow or In My Place. Politik is also a great opener, but I thought they should open with a well known single, if they'd do more of a Greatest Hits set. Also, I always hoped they'd do 2 or 3 new songs. But well, my broad grinning started to appear and decided not to disappear again too quickly and then the show started. Lovely light effects and visuals came along with... a NEW song!!! Not "Every Teardrop..." but a completely new one. Being in a state of excitement and joy, I soaked it all in. When I heard the line "It hurts like heaven", I immediatley knew the song title =) After that they did the songs I'd expected them to start with and the crowd danced, sang and enjoyed. The played more and more new songs and I was just freaking out (broad grinning still on, of course). There were even songs I never heard the title of! :D I loved all of them. Me and my friends came to the conclusion that this has to be a very very brilliant new album! After the Scientist we all continued singing the chorous. Astounding! And after all those sunny and hot days, we got real "Ring wheather" on Saturday evening but nobobdy seemed to care. In fact, that even seemed to make it better! The rain made the laser effetcs look even more beautiful. The climax of this was during "Viva La Vida", when the raindrops were a waterfall and the audience went absolutely nuts nevertheless. And then there were "COLDPLAY! COLDPLAY!" shoutings several times. My home festival's audience just celebrated my favourite band. That was more than I had dreamed of. The band seemed to enjoy it too and once again, Chris was a great frontman with a lot of interaction. Later, Chris started playing "Life Is For Living" and I was shouting "YEEEES! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!" A few people were turning their heads but I didn't mind. Never ever thought I'd hear this one live! So awesome! They finished with "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall". Quite scary that I could already sing along to most of it ;-) And at the end, when Chris sang "is a waaaaaterfaaaaaall" I was seriously wondering if he meant the teardrops or the raindrops...

Me and my friends were overexcited and happy. But once the show finished, the rain was getting on our nerves. My foot swam in my shoes and I was praying for our tents to be dry. Luckily they were. Fantastic day, fantastic Coldplay concert, a lot of surprises (so good it was only the 2nd show, thus I couldn't spoil it for myself) and an extremely happy Coldplay fan =)

Sunday

Sad that it was already the last day. Put all our stuff in our cars, said our goodbyes and hoped to see us again in the near future or at least at next year's Rock am Ring.

Mastodon: My best friend (no metal fan either) likes them, so I gave them a try. Waaay to loud, shitty sound

Avenged Sevenfold: Weird stage decoration... eeeevil... Went to the toilet (or waited for it...) but I was positively surprised by this band. Kind of got me, maybe beacuse it was not just heavy btu they also had some nice singing. Will listen to them again.

Beatsteaks: What an atmosphere!!!!! Everyone went soooo crazy! Awesome concert, awesome live band!

System Of A Down: They're weird but I kind of like them. Did a very good gig. Great final act.

awesome review :D ty :)

great review thanks! :D

Sunday

Not sure if I should be posting this here... or if it's been posted before- but I think I might have found the approximate date for LP5's release.

You guys know how Coldplay are only doing true Coldplay shows (not festivals) when they perform in South Africa this year? I followed the news for that cause I'm going to see them there. In this article:

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/entertainment/2011/05/10/coldplay-heads-for-sa

Attie van Wyk, the guy that negotiated with Coldplay to come to South Africa, said Coldplay will be releasing their album the same week that they'll be performing in South Afirca.

"The concerts will be held in the same week that Coldplay release its fifth album, Van Wyk said."

That's between the 3rd and 9th of October...

EDIT: well it's live-shows related so I suppose I can post it here!

Hhmmmm yeah. You have to wonder though... how much did this guy know about Coldplay and maybe the end of the festivals and the start of the proper shows mark the approximate date for LP5's release? Oracle has just again pointed out that LP5 will be released in autumn.

If Coldplay are indeed doing things in this way I think this will pretty much end up being their most brilliantly produced album yet.

Charlie Brown

I stole the key, took a car downtown where the lust boys meet

I took a car downtown and ... up with me

To set me free

I saw the lights go down at the end of the scene

I saw the lights go down and it's standing in front of me

My steel cold ( or scarecrow?) dreams, when they smash my heart into slitherings

I'll be a bright red rose combusting the concrete

Be a cartoon heart

A lot of fire from the smoke, a lot of fire framing my heart

Run wild, we going in and ..., whoa, in the fire

All the boys, all the girls, all the fans in the world

All the boys, all the girls, all the fans....

All the hides, all the ... I see ... understand it all

You run wild, stop going through the fire

All innocent and wild, we going through the dark.

Just putting another idea out there. Could the album title also possibly be MX UFO? I mean, they are together on the news icon on coldplay.com. Just a theory.

I also suggested this one. But people didn't seem convinced. I still think this could be the title

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...