✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

North Korea attacks South Korean island

HandyAndy136

SEOUL | Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:22am EST

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea on Tuesday fired dozens of artillery shells at a South Korean island, setting buildings on fire and prompting a return fire by the South, Seoul's military and media reports said.

Seoul's YTN television quoted a witness as saying 60 to 70 houses were on fire after the shelling.

The military confirmed the exchange of firing, without providing more details.

(Reporting by Seoul bureau; Writing by Yoo Choonsik; Editing by Jeremy Laurence) - REUTERS

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AM0TZ20101123

-----

SKorea: NKorea fires artillery onto island

SEOUL, South Korea – South Korea said Tuesday that it returned fire after North Korea fired artillery onto a South Korean island and into the sea near the countries' disputed western border.

A South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff official said dozens of rounds of artillery landed on Yeonpyeong island. The official says South Korea fired back. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of JCS rules, had no other details.

The firing comes amid tension over North Korea's claim that it has a new uranium enrichment facility.

The countries' western maritime boundary has long been a flash point between the two Koreas. The North does not recognize the border that was unilaterally drawn by the United Nations at the close of the 1950-53 Korean War.

North and South Korea have fought three bloody skirmishes near the maritime border in recent years, most recently in November 2009.

(In the same article):

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea says North Korea has fired artillery onto an island and into the sea near the western border with South Korea.

A South Korean official says dozens of rounds of artillery landed on Yeonpyeong island. The official says South Korea fired back. The official had no other details.

The firing comes amid North Korea's claim that it has a new uranium enrichment facility.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/11/23/skorea-nkorea-fires-artillery-island/

-----

Thoughts?

Guest howyousawtheworld

The sooner that pure evil regime falls the better. But of course China don't want their fellow Commies North Korea being invaded, toppled, democratised and inevitably moved to a system of capitalism. But somethings got to give.

The sooner that pure evil regime falls the better. But of course China don't want their fellow Commies North Korea being invaded, toppled, democratised and inevitably moved to a system of capitalism. But somethings got to give.

China is very capitalistic. Stock market, millionaires/billionaires, private companies out the wazoo. China is only communist in name now.

They don't want a war to throw off their trade and economy. Nor the refugee crisis and the money it would cost them.

Guest howyousawtheworld
China is very capitalistic. Stock market, millionaires/billionaires, private companies out the wazoo. China is only communist in name now.

They don't want a war to throw off their trade and economy. Nor the refugee crisis and the money it would cost them.

Well naturally - as is the case for most if not all self titled Communist states. It merely shows that it is just a dream and never a reality. Communists are either incredibly ignorant human beings or pure nut cases in my view.

It's obviously not good news,

but I was speaking to my idiotic friend earlier who seems to think that this

is going to kick-start WW III. I can't see it happening. We're too civilised to let

a world war break out between two highly advanced cultural figures.

We'll never be too civilized for another world war. I don't think this will be the catalyst but at some point we will have another world war, it's human nature.

It's obviously not good news,

but I was speaking to my idiotic friend earlier who seems to think that this

is going to kick-start WW III. I can't see it happening. We're too civilised to let

a world war break out between two highly advanced cultural figures.

I don't think that we are at all too civilized to not let another world war happen. There's always constant conflicts going on within the world, so I strongly doubt it. In fact I would argue that we are more likely to have another world war break out with the volatility within the middle east, especially with Iran.

We'll never be too civilized for another world war. I don't think this will be the catalyst but at some point we will have another world war, it's human nature.

I agree.

if I was obama I would ask / pay the chinise to take care of this problem, the chinse I reckon could walk into North Korea tomorow and just take it over.

Its in the best intrests of everyone, or as I have predicted obama will be pressing the button when the North Koreans launch their missles.

I really hope this does not happen, as it could be the end as we know it !

I think now is a more likely time for another big war to break out... I hate to call it a 'world war' or something, because I have too much faith in humanity for countries to get involved like they used to. Maybe I'm just naive, but I can't see it happening - we learnt too much from the other two to have another one.

South Korea mourns marines killed in North Korean attack and vows revenge

SOUTH Korea laid to rest today two marines killed in an artillery attack by North Korea at a tear-filled funeral where top military brass grimly vowed to avenge their deaths.

The Prime Minister, armed forces commanders and relatives attended the nationally-televised ceremony for Sergeant Suh Jung-Woo, 22, and Private Moon Kwang-Wook, 20, held in a military hospital hall near Seoul.

"We will certainly avenge your deaths," said Marine Commander Lieutenant General Yoo Nak-Joon before their coffins, as sombre music played and relatives cried in the hall packed with uniformed troops.

"We'll certainly repay North Korea a hundred- and thousand-fold for killing and harming our marines ... We'll engrave this outrage deep into our bones and certainly take revenge upon them."

The two marines were killed, along with two civilians, when North Korea launched an artillery barrage on Yeonpyeong island in the Yellow Sea on Tuesday, in an attack that triggered alarm bells worldwide.

Mourners took turns to lay flowers and burn incense in front of the portraits of the two soldiers, festooned with black ribbons and propped against an altar decorated with white chrysanthemums.

Following the three shots of a final salute, their bodies were driven to a national cemetery in the southern city of Daejeon for internment.

Among the mourners were Prime Minister Kim Hwang-Sik and the outgoing Defence Minister, Kim Tae-Young, who resigned to take responsibility for the military's allegedly soft response to the bombardment.

In one of the speeches, Corporal Ha Min-Soo, who lived in the same barracks as the two marines, bid them farewell.

"Beloved Jung-Woo and Kwang-Woo, we will certainly repay your sacrifice," he said. "Please become the protective spirits of Yeonpyeong and inspire us to defend the island."

Earlier US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton held phone talks with Beijing in regards to the tense situation.

State Department spokesman PJ Crowley said Clinton spoke with Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi about America's stance on the attack.

"They talked mostly about North Korea but they did touch on WikiLeaks as well," Mr Crowley said in a statement cited by Fox News Channel.

"The secretary encouraged Beijing to make clear that North Korea's behaviour is unacceptable."

From The Herald Sun

I dont think many countries take North Korea seriously anymore. The communist regime is crumbling in the country due to the severe oppression of its citizens and the illness and instability of its tyranic leader. I think this is merely an attempt at making a last stand and sooner than later the communist goverment will be overthrown by its democratic neighbors and its oppressed citizens who want nothing more than a better life.