✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay Top of the Pops updates

Jenjie

i guess im going to have to leave early and my sister will have to join me in the queue...(people dont get angry when they do that do they?)

No!

And to answer a couple of other earlier questions:

No, the name on the ticket doesn't matter - the ONLY time it does matter is if you look under 16 years of age. They are quite strict on this and will require ID - but, providing you look old enough, you don't get quizzed on names on tickets etc...

I am not sure how many tickets they will have dished out but the studio will only hold around 250 max (depending on what studio they use) so you can be certain they'll have dished out at least double this amount of tickets if not more. You'd be surpised at how many people don't actually use them!

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your kind words - I really hope I can get hold of the main show tickets somehow, as I say, it would be my 50th show in 22 years if I could get them!

I've always loved TOTP - from an early age, so it was my "dream" if you like to be on the show. My first show was April 1988, which featured the Pet Shop Boys and Bananarama!!!!

I was at the show the week after the infamous All About Eve's Marthas Harbour performance!

I was present at the Stone Roses first TOTP appearance in 1989 (November I believe from memory) - I can remember being totally un-impressed with them (not knowing who they were at all!!!) - how things change!!!!

I'm often in the links - in fact my work mates always rib me that Christmas just isn't Christmas until they see me on Top of the pops!!!!

Yes, I know I've critised the sound quality in the studio - but this never ever put me off going - it was all the "magic" of going and seeing up close the stars and music legends that you just couldn't see that close anywhere else. I've been fortunate enough to actually meet (via TOTP) Kylie, Tina Turner, Bee Gee's, Pet Shop Boys and Elton John to name but a few!

When I went to the final weekly TOTP broadcast in July 2006 the BBC even paid for a taxi home for me as I did the 10 o'clock news live in the studio for an interview about my time on the programme, as I am told that I hold some sort of record!

I even got a BBC webpage written - check if out if you like!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5103032.stm

Cheers

Paul

Thanks so much Paul, and again you've been so incredibly helpful to people here - you are a top gent :)

I read your BBC page, how cool to have a whole article about you!!

November '89 sounds about right for Fool's Gold. Before then all my friends looked blankly at me when I mentioned them (all except the one or two 'in the know' kids at school :laugh3:). After that it exploded; once they'd performed I was the most popular kid in school and in the streets because I already had everything from their first single onwards (still do have), and for my generation at least, it was a huge musical awakening:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUhXWm8V6C0]YouTube - Stone Roses- Fools Gold- Top of the Pops 1989[/ame]

Again, thank you :)

Thanks so much Paul, and again you've been so incredibly helpful to people here - you are a top gent :)

I read your BBC page, how cool to have a whole article about you!!

November '89 sounds about right for Fool's Gold. Before then all my friends looked blankly at me when I mentioned them (all except the one or two 'in the know' kids at school :laugh3:). After that it exploded; once they'd performed I was the most popular kid in school and in the streets because I already had everything from their first single onwards, and for my generation at least, it was a huge musical awakening:

YouTube - Stone Roses- Fools Gold- Top of the Pops 1989

Again, thank you :)

No worries!

And yes, that performance you've linked to was the very one that I was present at! I remember it really well! (I'll gloss over the fact that "Big Fun" were the first act on that very edition!!!!!!)

Oooh, Daniel, you're coming now? :dance:

I've braved so much worse than this for Coldplay, but dress warm, people!

Paul, as you've been so kind...do artists sometimes come out afterwards in a certain location or something, like, if you're looking to meet them? I got my moment with them so this isn't the reason I'm going, but we'd love to hear your tips :nice:. And that's amazing about your article! :D

Oooh, Daniel, you're coming now? :dance:

I've braved so much worse than this for Coldplay, but dress warm, people!

Paul, as you've been so kind...do artists sometimes come out afterwards or something, like, if you're looking to meet them? I got my moment with them so this isn't the reason I'm going, but we'd love to hear your tips :nice:. And that's amazing about your article! :D

Cheers!

Very, very rarely do you get to meet them afterwards- they used to years ago (which is how I got to meet alot of them) but in recent years I would say absolutely no - don't go expecting it, because you'll find as soon as they finish the BBC will usher you out quick as anything!!!!! (Well, that's usually the case anyway!!!)

Don't go expecting to take any piccy's either. I have sneaked the odd pictures out on my mobile (apart from the recent 2009 Comic Relief edition where you could take photo's galore!!! I've got them all on my Facebook page!!!) but if you're "caught" doing this, they're very strict and threaten to ask you to leave, so beware!!!!!

They will play the song several times?

One hour is long just for one song...

They will probably record it twice or maybe three times at the most - whilst the 'studio' experience may last an hour, the actual time the band will be on stage will be quite short.

They usually record it once - then stop - and then re-record and mix in the best shots from both performances together.

I am making some big copies of the group photographs I took on the boat last week.

If anyone would like to sign one photo as a thankyou note to the band then PM me - or just sign on the day (I'll be the guy with the big brown envelope; presumably the BBC will assume I'm an MP :) )

Most likely I'll be giving the photos to BBC staff to give to the band on the day.

I expect it to be cold and stressful but I have no doubt it'll be worth it! I saw them at the BBC when they did the gig a couple of years ago, I was in the front row and it was incredible!

Hey Dan, were you one of the 4 lads in the front dressed smartly in ties that Chris commented on?