✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay Top of the Pops updates

Jenjie

Noob question time:

So this has more than one artist involved? I understand it's a Christmas Show with multiple acts on TV, but because the BBC is listing this as purely a Coldplay event and because it's an hour long, it seems to me that they can't possibly have other acts performing for taping at the same time we'll be there...yes?

I would say it's just them or else the description would have said more acts are involved.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i want to know how many people will be there as well. i also want to know how soon i should get there because it's based on an overallocation of tickets and it would be terrible to have gotten tickets and then lose out. you don't think it'll be too intense, do you? i don't really want to stay out in the cold for more than two hours...:\

HHhhmmm no idea.It's kinda cold in London for the moment so as long as we don't have to wait outside for hours I'm all good.

The ticket is nice...little Coldplay image.

So who is going? Is there a list of Coldplayers somewhere?

I think you should get there on time cause the BBC FAQ said that they always sell more tickets to make sure there's enough people and it works on a 'first-come,first-served basis'.:\

So happy for all of you who got tickets!! :dance: :cheesy: :kiss:

All I know is this: when I did a BBC Television Centre Tour in December 2008 we could wait inside for it to start, you could all meet at the foyer or something. :thinking:

This is the video from 2008:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjOq93BeK2A]YouTube - COLDPLAY VIVA LA VIDA ON TOP OF THE POPS 2008 (HQ)[/ame]

It had been filmed separately from the other TOTP performers that time as well if I remember correctly, I'd think it'll be about the same amount of people.

Have lots of fun people, can't wait to hear your stories!!

I think the BBC is fascinating on its own already... wish I could be there with you as well. :hug:

I'm only 15 but I have tickets...do you think they'll check my age?

Can you pass for older? Just seem really confident.

I'm not from the UK though, so I don't really know how they go about these things here. They always check my credit card signature when I pay for things though...unlike in the US where you could scribble anything. By which I mean...they seem to take some things seriously.

Quite an interesting event, so happy to see the dedicated fans get tickets thanks to Coldplay.com :)

Yes, get there fairly early everyone, these things are always over-ticketed!

As it's TotP, and as the track has so many other instruments other than the boys', the music at least won't be live I think, and my best guess is that Chris will be focused on performing best for TV, in which case the vocal won't be either. So then, the hour's for multiple takes to get enough good shots from different angles and one (at least near-)perfect runthrough??

There's also the time to get everyone into position, camera-check the crowd (no giants stood at the front in the middle!!), and if it's Christmas lights to be held by all, and swaying in time, then someone from the BBC will set up that and get people practising.

At worst it'll be just a couple of runthroughs with the band on stage I would have thought, but even then it'll no doubt be fascinating to see how it all works, and of course there's potential for it to be more than that :)

Quite an interesting event, so happy to see the dedicated fans get tickets thanks to Coldplay.com :)

Yes, get there fairly early everyone, these things are always over-ticketed!

As it's TotP, and as the track has so many other instruments other than the boys', the music at least won't be live I think, and my best guess is that Chris will be focused on performing best for TV, in which case the vocal won't be either. So then, the hour's for multiple takes to get enough good shots from different angles and one (at least near-)perfect runthrough??

There's also the time to get everyone into position, camera-check the crowd (no giants stood at the front in the middle!!), and if it's Christmas lights to be held by all, and swaying in time, then someone from the BBC will set up that and get people practising.

At worst it'll be just a couple of runthroughs with the band on stage I would have thought, but even then it'll no doubt be fascinating to see how it all works, and of course there's potential for it to be more than that :)

Pretty much what you've said but I think Chris will sing live. Take a look at the clip above for VLV 2008 and tell me it's not live! :)

Pretty much what you've said but I think Chris will sing live. Take a look at the clip above for VLV 2008 and tell me it's not live! :)

I think he's singing over his own recording, actually! :thinking:

Good points guys!! I'm surprised how much live singing there is on that VLV performance actually (never seen it before), so maybe it will be live with a backing track? That would make sense, as they can perhaps mix the levels of each afterwards to make it sound as good as possible. I have to say that version of VLV doesn't sound that good, I hope they do a better job this time.

I'm no sound engineer, but aren't there quite a few effects on Chris' vocals throughout Christmas Lights? In VLV it's mainly the choruses I think, the verses are pretty 'straight'. No idea if that makes Christmas Lights harder to produce a live/backing track mix for that does the single justice.

It'll be really interesting to hear afterwards what people say about it :)

The worst ever TotP miming fiasco was of course (such a beautiful song too :heart:):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1JIe8Zlvr4]YouTube - All About Eve - Martha's Harbour - Infamous TOTP Appearance! HQ[/ame]

Hi all

I've got 2 x tickets for Coldplay's TOTP session at BBC TV Centre on 08 December....

Strangely I didn't apply for these (!) but applied for the main TOTP Evening Christmas Show - which I didn't get...

I know this is a long shot, but is there any Coldplay fans out there that know of any evening TOTP tickets (x2) that I could swap for these Coldplay ones? Unfortunately, for me, it's rather a long way to travel just for one performance......

Cheers

BTW guys, I've done 49 editions of Top of the Pops (audience) from 1988 up until the Christmas edition last year, so if you've got any questions about the recording or how it all works, I can probably answer them for you.....

What time is everyone getting there? The tickets say "admission on site" at noon. Does that mean get there at noon and get let in at 1? I just need to know what would be a good time to book my train tomorrow...

I'm thinking I'll try to get into London by 10, get to the studio by 11? Does that sound way too early or appropriate? I suppose I could always kill time in the area if they don't let us wait around earlier than noon? :thinking:

Urf, I'm going to have to get up at the crack of dawn :lol:. Coldplay is like the only thing I do that voluntarily for :P

And yeah, I'm not optimistic about this being a true live performance in any sense of the word, but hey, it's Coldplay, and it's free :D. A fun day out even if they do make heavy use of backing tracks.

1) I wish I had your life, Chelsea.

2) I hope you see Chris again, and he mentions your bathroom issue :lol: (and if you see him again, tell him I say hi :P)

It's just recently, Zoe, I swear! :lol: My Coldplay Karma sucked (...OK, was average) before this month. And I'll never get it this good again!

You'll get your chance too :hug:

OK, just watched the Viva la Vida video, and somehow there are more people there than I expected :stunned:. Kind of naive to think that there would be less, but I'm short and want a good spot, so I'm going to have to debate my train times now :P

Do you think it's just like a concert where they let people get their spots in a free-for-all, or do they kind of arrange you how they like because it's a TV performance? And do ticket numbers have anything to do with anything?

I'm SUCH a noob :lol:

Hi all

I've got 2 x tickets for Coldplay's TOTP session at BBC TV Centre on 08 December....

Strangely I didn't apply for these (!) but applied for the main TOTP Evening Christmas Show - which I didn't get...

I know this is a long shot, but is there any Coldplay fans out there that know of any evening TOTP tickets (x2) that I could swap for these Coldplay ones? Unfortunately, for me, it's rather a long way to travel just for one performance......

Cheers

BTW guys, I've done 49 editions of Top of the Pops (audience) from 1988 up until the Christmas edition last year, so if you've got any questions about the recording or how it all works, I can probably answer them for you.....

Sorry I dont have any tickets to swap but if you dont want yours i'll happily take them off your hands! :)