✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

2011 Albums Worth Listening To

The Escapist

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've listened to at least 40 albums from this year, but these are my top ten so far:

1. Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know

2. Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver

3. St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

4. Other Lives - Tamer Animals

5. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

6. Wild Beasts - Smother

7. Wye Oak - Civilian

8. Active Child - You Are All I See

9. The Rosebuds - Loud Planes Fly Low

10. Beirut - The Rip Tide

My top five of this year's albums so far:

alb_3659628_big.jpg

Seeds ~ Hey Rosetta!

The%20See%20See%20-%20Late%20Morning%20Light.jpg

Late Morning Light ~ The See See

KasabianVelor-t.jpg

Velociraptor! ~ Kasabian

q02216t4xdc.jpg

Poet & The Dreamer ~ Neville Skelly

arctic-monkeys-suck-it-and-see.jpg

Suck It & See ~ Arctic Monkeys

If I was going to do a top ten, I'd add Elbow, Frank Turner, The Sand Band, Miles Kane & Jonathan Wilson. I can't be arsed ranking them tho...

"Seeds" is great. :wacky: I didn't care too much for "Suck It and See," though. I don't know; I like their earlier work better. I haven't listened to Kasabian's new LP yet, but I plan to very soon. Miles Kane was a pleasant surprise, and while BARB! wasn't as good as TSSK, it's still a nice Elbow album.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me about Frank Turner. I've been meaning to look into him.

"Seeds" is great. :wacky: I didn't care too much for "Suck It and See," though. I don't know; I like their earlier work better. I haven't listened to Kasabian's new LP yet, but I plan to very soon. Miles Kane was a pleasant surprise, and while BARB! wasn't as good as TSSK, it's still a nice Elbow album.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me about Frank Turner. I've been meaning to look into him.

Oh, I'm the other way round with the Arctic Monkeys, I've never been much of a fan of theirs, had two of the previous albums but only really liked the odd few songs. Then I heard Suck It & See, not expecting much from it, but ended up really enjoying it and playing it a hellova lot. One thing I didn't like about their older stuff is the vast amount of words Alex Turner tries to cram into every song, it's clever stuff but he overdoes it sometimes. SIAS is a bit lighter of the lyrics imo, so I think it works better.

And yes, the Frank Turner LP is very good, he's another one that's good at lyrical wordplay :thumbsup:

Probably my three favourite this year are "Nine Types of Light" by TV on the Radio, "Helplessness Blues" by Fleet Foxes and "The Whole Love" by Wilco. It was the first Wilco album I've heard, and I loved it! I'll have to unearth their backlog now, which includes some classics! Can't wait!

It leaked :nod:

-gasp!- DO WANT.

The stream is up on her website, as well. Even if you don't listen to Feist or weren't a fan of her previous output, Metals is such a completely different direction and I cannot recommend it enough.

http://www.listentofeist.com/metals/

I like Feist. I'll make time to listen to the stream tomorrow. Thanks bunches! :nice:

I don't even know how many lists I've already posted but I feel like posting one since I've listened to quite many new great albums (with the old ones included):

The Antlers - Burst Apart

Beirut - The Rip Tide

Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver

Braids - Native Speaker

Elbow - Build A Rocket Boys!

Feist - Metals

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

FM Belfast - Don't Want To Sleep

Phaedra - The Sea //Thanks to The Final Track//

Jonas Bjerre - Songs And Music From The Movie Scyscraper

King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - Diamond Mine

Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know

Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes

M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Panda Bear - Tomboy

Radiohead - The King of Limbs

Sin Fang - Summer Echoes

Sóley - We Sink

The Vaccines - What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

Snorri Helgason - Winter Sun

I didn't even realise there were so many good albums this year. :surprised: