✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

2011 Albums Worth Listening To

The Escapist

I can't exactly confirm Oren Lavie... good ol' wikipedia says his official facebook page posted that his new album will be released in "either september or december" but [citation needed]... a press release from some website said he was debuting new songs for them back in late 2010, I can only assume he's putting out his follow-up. I need a sophomore album from that man, The Opposite Side Of The Sea was absolutely outstanding. :heart: For those who don't know him:

And surely you should know Modest Mouse, Meg... Dashboard? Float On? Missed The Boat? If you know Built To Spill, there's a good chance you'll like Modest Mouse, and vice versa. They've debuted two and a half new songs over the past few months.

Maps (AKA James Chapman) is a UK producer/electronic musician. He put out his second Turning The Mind back in 2009, and his first album We Can Create in 2007 (which was nominated for a Mercury prize, I think). Some of his singles such as I Dream Of Crystal, You Don't Know Her Name, Die Happy Die Smiling, and To The Sky have been used in various commercials. He hopes to have an album out this year (and he promised me that I'd be the first to hear some of the new material! :D). Fun stuff, he's one of my favorite electronic musicians, kind of similar to M83 if you know them.

If These Trees Could Talk is an Akron-based post-rock (I guess "post-metal" ish according to some, I don't really see it though). They're pretty good, they have an album and an EP and if you ever see any of their vinyl ever at record stores, garage sales, etc., buy it buy it holy god their vinyl goes for so much fucking money. But yeah, they're very atmospheric. I like them. They're trying to get an album out this year, if not early next year. :)

White Hinterland is, well, my favorite band actually! I'm their biggest fan and a huge enthusiast. :dazzled: It's a Portland-based duo between Casey Dienel and Shawn Creeden. Casey is a beautiful pianist and she has a wonderful solo album. White Hinterland started off with Phylactery Factory, a jazz-ish piano storytelling album. It only has nine songs but it has a great impact on its listener if you digest these lyrics. While PF is more stripped-down, Shawn Creeden's electronics shine on their second album to date, Kairos. It was my AOTY last year, it's beautiful dream pop with hints of R&B and art rock, a huge step forward. Well they're planning on having an album out this autumn, and hopefully it'll live up to Kairos' greatness.

Great Northern is a dream rock duo between the gritty, determined Rachel Stolte and ex-30 Seconds To Mars guitarist Solon Bixler. Now trust me, it's better than it sounds. They create such atmospheric, dreamy indie rock. It's just delectable, I can't get enough of their music. They're working on a darker third record, out maybe in the autumn or early winter.

Do Make Say Think is arguably one of the best second-wave post-rock bands. Fronted by Broken Social Scene guitarist Charles Spearin, DMST actually predates BSS and boasts six solid albums. If you know/like Tortoise, you'll eat up DMST like delicious candy.

Sorry for the extremely long post... but I think it's better to actually share the music with you all rather than wagging band names around in your faces and flaunting around my hipster victory. :) Enjoy!

Wow, thanks! That should tide me over until next year. :P

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...