✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

2011 Albums Worth Listening To

The Escapist

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, thanks for reminding me, Jasmin.

All those people who have been saying Feist's new album is great are absolutely right. LISTEN TO IT. It's really good.

Yes! It sounds different from her previous stuff but true, so great. :freak: And How Come You Never Go There is my current favourite.

haha, that's so true

Yep. It's arguably my biggest disappointment this year.

:nod: Favorite song? Mine's a tie between Anti-Pioneer and Caught A Long Wind. How Come You Never Go There holds a very high slot too.

Give me a couple more listens, and I'll get right back to you on that. :tongue:

:nod: Favorite song? Mine's a tie between Anti-Pioneer and Caught A Long Wind. How Come You Never Go There holds a very high slot too.

OK, so I listened to the album (minus the last track) while cleaning the kitchen. Feist has a beautiful voice. :heart: I'll say that "The Bad in Each Other" is a GREAT album opener, and I think "Cicadas & Gulls" is quite pretty. :nice:

Cicadas And Gulls kind of bored me when I listened to that itunes preview but after hearing the entire thing, her voice just makes it. It's so soft and cushy, I like it. :happy:

I'm starting to think that The Bad In Each Other will be the next single, I never would have seen that coming with A Commotion being such an outstander. I just hope this album doesn't get torn apart by critics, it's such a fine album and no one seems to care about it. I've seen virtually no discussion anywhere. :shrug:

I just hope this album doesn't get torn apart by critics, it's such a fine album and no one seems to care about it. I've seen virtually no discussion anywhere. :shrug:

"It’s a moment of solace after songs full of sorrow, turmoil and loneliness that add up to Feist’s best and deepest album." - NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/arts/music/feists-solitary-road-to-new-album-metals.html?pagewanted=all)

P4K gave it a 7.7 (http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15878-feist-metals/)

And I see that RS gave it four stars. :)

I swear it should have gotten BNM from pitchfork, but with Biophilia coming out in a week they can't give it to Metals. But what really bothers me about that pitchfork review is their nit-picking for a hit single and that is wrong wrong wrong, especially with this album.

I swear it should have gotten BNM from pitchfork, but with Biophilia coming out in a week they can't give it to Metals. But what really bothers me about that pitchfork review is their nit-picking for a hit single and that is wrong wrong wrong, especially with this album.

I don't know about BNM but it definitely should have scored in the low 8s, something like an 8.2 or 8.3. I've listened to the album since it leaked a couple of weeks ago and although I appreciate what Feist was trying to do, it's not a tremendous album.

And speaking of Biophilia... While I personally think it ranks pretty highly among Bjork's tremendous discography, I think it will end up getting a lot of mixed reviews.

Cicadas And Gulls kind of bored me when I listened to that itunes preview but after hearing the entire thing, her voice just makes it. It's so soft and cushy, I like it. :happy:

I agree completely. I think being almost finished with what I was doing as I was listening to it helped emphasize that even more.

• 2 weeks later...
The more I seem to listen to Strange Mercy, the more I seem to recognize the same three songs. It's a nice sound she's established on there but Cruel, Surgeon, and Neutered Fruit are the only memorable songs on it. :shrug:

I'd argue Cheerleader, Champagne Year and Year of the Tiger belong in the conversation.

I argue all of them... The whole thing is such an ugly mess... I love it. x_x

• 2 weeks later...

Adele - 21 (Soul)

Radiohead - The King of Limbs (Rock or Alternative, Debatable)

Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will (Rock)

The Lonely Island - Turtleneck & Chain (Comedy)

Lady Gaga - Born This Way (Pop)

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Alpocalypse (Comedy)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You (Rock)

AND OF COURSE

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto (Alternative) :sneaky:

Besides the obivious Mylo Xyloto, Suck It and See by the Arctic Monkeys is fantastic! I'd also highly recommend Noel Gallaghers new album

has anybody mentioned Torches by Foster the People?

I think it's worth a listen :)

kind of obsessed with it actually :P

Also this. Best new artist for sure.:D