✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[28-June-2011] Coldplay @ 'Where The Action Is' festival, Gothenburg, Sweden

Rodan

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay was Super-"A" tonight at "Where The Action Is" festival, and here's my review!

I watched the concert in my house live from a good stream and the setlist was as great as Glastonbury's! They performed in the daylight so you could see all the large and passionate audience joining the band while playing, as jumping, dancing, clapping or shouting the lyrics to the band! They really improved the version of "Everything's Not Lost", mainly the piano riff and the guitar (...it seems that the boys have been rehearsing it!). I also noticed an outerspace new sound and melody for "Charlie Brown", a more rockin' guitar sound for "Fix You" and "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face"! Also, during Viva La Vida Jonny was really ON FIRE with a loud guitar sound, really cool!

Then, during "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall" the things turned out much better because it got a bit dark, so the lasers and lightshow was pretty amazing. I guess that encouraged the crowd to jump together, it was impressive! I'd like to add the fact that the band seemed very confident on stage, Chris on the piano in special... he's a real pianist! Sincerely another live show not to miss!

I'm sorry for my english! I'm trying to learn it lol

Salutes from Argentina :D

A fantastic gig musically, and an absolutely unbelievable crowd, but I felt the band didn't play to it they could and should have. Little or no room for the crowd participation after Viva, ENL, The Scientist, and so the set also had little room to 'breathe'. Without those breaks, and the band themselves taking it all in, it felt (to me) like a mad rush through the Glastonbury set.

Without those more expansive moments, and What a Wonderful World as well, this set needs an extra song or two. The front-loading of many of the favourites only makes sense to me if the mid-to-late set is given all the loving it deserves, to really wring every last drop of crowd pleasure out of, and it wasn't here.

It was a set designed for Glastonbury, imported wholesale to Sweden for major (but far from maximum) effect.

The Swedish fans deserved more I felt. But I hope each and every one had an incredible night. It was brilliant, and I'd have given almost anything to be there myself, because despite it not being all it had the almost-tangible potential to be, it was still a magnificent occasion, even through a choppy window on a PC screen.

/critics' hat off

Thanks a lot everyone, it's been fun :)

I don't know, it's hard to tell watching from a streaming who kept skipping once in a while but I would have rather been there than in my own hometwon considering the show they got, far far better (I mean Shiver+ENL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>x100000000>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cemeteries of London)

I don't know, it's hard to tell watching from a streaming who kept skipping once in a while but I would have rather been there than in my own hometwon considering the show they got, far far better (I mean Shiver+ENL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>x100000000>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cemeteries of London)

Absolutely!! :)

<edit> Seen Cemeteries once or twice live, but it left me fairly cold (it's a good song, but...) and I can't believe they'd play it instead of 42, Strawberry Swing, or Lovers in Japan. Especially 42!

Guest howyousawtheworld

I think they could easily incorporate Lovers In Japan and Princess of China/an extra X&Y song into the mix (White Shadows?).

I think they could easily incorporate Lovers In Japan and Princess of China/an extra X&Y song into the mix (White Shadows?).

Yea, that would be amazing... my ears would appreciate it very much!

I think we should give'em time to rehearse those old songs we all want to hear, you know they're adding new sounds and also trying different ways of playing the old songs + they're in the proccess of making the new album! So if you think of all they're doing, they're doing it great!

Guest howyousawtheworld
Yea, that would be amazing... my ears would appreciate it very much!

I think we should give'em time to rehearse those old songs we all want to hear, you know they're adding new sounds and also trying different ways of playing the old songs + they're in the proccess of making the new album! So if you think of all they're doing, they're doing it great!

Oh definitely. Hearing Princess of China again and something like White Shadows would only be a bonus on a fantastic setlist

HELLO! JUST WANTED TO SAY, That yesterday was AMAZING , so totaly freakying amazing, I can't talk enymore cause i screamed so much.:D And it was very nice to meet some pepole fromColdplaying :D

i second that! but i must say that i was rather, well i wouldnt call it dissapointed, but.. i dunno, it wasn't as good as i expected. it was GREAT ofc, but.. yeah you know what i mean :D

anyway, might be that anna has been hyping coldplay gigs for the last years so my expactations was too high :stunned:.

i think the setlist was amazing, would have prefered 42 or strawberry swing though. and uhm yeah speed of sound but guess thats not happening.

well the entire day was amazing, thanks to anna, frida, fridas-friend-whoms-name-i-cant-remember, olivia and olivias-friend-whoms-name-i-cant-remember :rolleyes:

summary of the day: amazing crowd, amazing band, amazing setlist. (though i missed that little "extra")

i second that! but i must say that i was rather, well i wouldnt call it dissapointed, but.. i dunno, it wasn't as good as i expected. it was GREAT ofc, but.. yeah you know what i mean :D

[...] (though i missed that little "extra")

I know what you mean. :hug:

Was the same for me with Pinkpop. Great gig but something-I-can't-put-into-words was missing. :lol:

i'm guessing the 'problem' was that not everyone was there ONLY for Coldplay, but for other bands though it was a festival. Where I stood (at the fence to the left) many people didn't even know the oldest and the newest songs, kinda sad to see them wrinkle their eyebrows when they started playing the sooo beautiful song everyhing's not lost or the newest ones like charlie brown. Not the same feeling as at their 'private' concerts, so the 'problem' might be LAZY and QUIET audience - at least where i stood (ofc except from someones) :)

although - a lot of tears and love and happiness and chris really seems to be better looking now than ever before :wink3: