✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Left Handed, Right Handed or Ambidextrous?

Guest howyousawtheworld

Guest howyousawtheworld

So which one are you? Are you in that exclusive 8-15% of the worlds population who can call themselves left handed/ambidextrous? Myself, I am a lefty so I though I'd share some fun facts courtesy of http://ezinearticles.com/?Left-Handed-Facts---Seven-Positive-Reasons-For-Being-Left-Handed&id=2646914 about the advantages of being so!

1. When at school or any activity that you're asked if you're lefty don't be embarrassed, but feel privileged because you will usually get one-on-one attention (that's a good thing).

2. Time Magazine's Person of the Century Albert Einstein was a left hander. His contributions to science and technology were without question, important advances for mankind. Throw his name out if someone's making fun of us lefties.

3. If you're a southpaw baseball player then when you bat and complete your swing you are already facing first base and thus have a head start over right handers. A left handed pitcher can keep an eye on first base during his wind-up and keep a runner from stealing second. A first basemen who is a lefty can cover a large amount of the field with their glove on the right hand and they also have an advantage when throwing to second base for a double play.

4. Some of the wealthiest people are left handed (i.e. Bill Gates and Oprah Winfrey continue to rank at the top of the richest people in the world and yes they are southpaws). A recent study revealed that lefties with college education earned 10 to 15 percent more than their right handed counterparts

5. New research suggests that left handed people often perform better than right handers at fast or difficult tasks that involve lots of information or stimuli. Lefties may be better at playing fast computer games, talking while driving in heavy traffic and flying a jet fighter - activities that need both hemispheres of the brain to process information quickly.

6. Southpaw drivers are apparently more successful at learning to drive than right handed people. As many as 57% of left handers pass their driving test first time compared with only 47% of right handers, a poll for the AA Driving School found.

7. Lefties have a tactical advantage in one-on-one competition. Studies suggests that because lefties are in the minority, right-handed opponents are not use to the way they fight, and the element of surprise gives lefties an advantage.

Unfortunately it's not all great news for left handers as right handed people live on average 9 years longer!

Guest howyousawtheworld

Actually I'd probably consider myself just to be left handed as I do many everyday tasks with my right hand like brushing my teeth, cutting up food (although I cut up food on a plate with my left hand as my fork is in my right), spooning something out with my right but apart from that...or perhaps I am ambidextrous?

:blush: I'm not alone. Yes, it's not the "proper way", that's why people tend to comment on it, but it's much more easier for me and I don't have to change the fork all the time from one hand to the other.

Yeah that's exactly why I do it. It feels weird when you have to switch between the knife and fork all the time.

I voted Ambidextrous, because that's what I was as a kid. They forced me to be right handed, but I still am a little bit.

Anyway, did you know that every year, many left handed are killed by objects or machines supposed to be used by right handed???