✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Oracle confirms that new material won't be heard at the Festivals...

the_escapist

March 4, 2011 - submitted by thenowhereman, United Kingdom

Q. Dear Oracle, I am a huge Coldplay fan. Not size-wise, but I truly love this band and their current output. I was even on the boat in the Christmas Lights video. Yet I am peeved. Peeved and annoyed. Testy, you might say. Why, I don't hear you ask? How can a band headline, like, fifteen or sixteen major festivals with no new stuff. It's insane. Apart from myself and other huge fans, some may be big size-wise, no one cares. Seriously. Please tell me what I'm hearing about the next albums release date is false and that it's actually coming before the festivals. Otherwise this group is gonna go down like a lead balloon.

The Oracle replies:

Well nowhereman... I can see how a fan of a band waiting for a new album can feel frustrated at not hearing new material at festivals but I passionately disagree.

I know that back in 2002 they played new songs at Glastonbury after a mini UK tour showcasing AROBTTH but that's because when they booked to play there originally, the album release date had been scheduled for before the event but was put back.

You have to remember that festivals are not usual concerts in that not everyone is there to see Coldplay. It's great to go to a festival and see a band you've never seen before. You may know all the songs but wouldn't necessarily be a fan. I love having a great time courtesy of a band that I'm not that familiar with. Given that not everyone there is a fan, it's different "rules".

I contest what you say about the band going down like a lead balloon; you may as well be saying that every band who is appearing at every festival better be playing new songs or not bother and I have a strong feeling that you're not saying that at all as that's utter nonsense, sorry.

Just to repeat what I said on previous post, if you're looking for Team Oracle you may have noticed the server went down and unfortunately it wiped this week's responses from the system. They will now appear on Sunday as I'm afraid commitments mean I cannot address the problem until then. Sorry folks!

Guest howyousawtheworld

Well no replication of the Viva concert and no new material = some old classics returning!! But yeah - disappointed about no new material.

Well she didn't really. She just confirmed the album won't be out before the festivals.

I bet Coldplay themselves don't know the setlist yet, nevermind Debs and whilst the festivals won't be showcasing a new album that doesn't mean the boys won't pull a new song out of the bag. Is too early to be definite on what they'll play.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Well she didn't really. She just confirmed the album won't be out before the festivals.

I bet Coldplay themselves don't know the setlist yet, nevermind Debs and whilst the festivals won't be showcasing a new album that doesn't mean the boys won't pull a new song out of the bag. Is too early to be definite on what they'll play.

I think it's clear there is space for new material at these festivals. Certainly one for an upcoming single.

Personally, this really doesn't bother me. For those who have been to festivals before, you know the Oracle is right in the fact that they are not usually vehicles for new material. I don't believe i've ever been to a festival where they have played new material that hadn't already been heard before the festival date. A cover or something maybe, but not a new band song. Just be patient people! It's not unusual!

oh come on.. it has been 3 years people..why they are taking so much time off..???

maybe because they all have children they would like to spend time with every now and then? :P

plus, it's been 3 years almost since they released their last LP, but it's not like they've done absolutely nothing since.