✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Music and the Musicians

Corner Kid

Its natural for us to love an artist as a person without actually knowing them personally, because of how much we love their music. But does it work the other way around?

Question: Does your opinion of a musician affect your opinion of his/her music? For instance, if you loved a band and discovered they were not so great of people (for example: you met them and they were pricks), would you cease to listen to them? Has anyone experienced this?

Discuss.

i think kanye is a prick but his music is brilliant so i still love him. same goes for thom yorke, he often comes across as being up himself but the man is a genius so i dont mind it as much. but then again i did just post in the mumford & sons thread that i was annoyed at marcus mumford for cheating on laura marling. so maybe their actions do affect me.

of course if any of them went as far as chris brown and went around beating up women then i might think again.

and i've never met any of my favourite musicians so i can't say much there.

Of course you could look at this questions from the indie/hipster angle and say that much music is appreciated and loved because the musician is unknown. When they become known, the music loses its appeal and you look for the next cult band. The same could be said for mainstream music is basically listened to because of how famous the singer/band is artificially produced and advertised to be, and when they cease to be marketed in such a way that puts them in the public eye, the music loses its appeal.

Of course you could look at this questions from the indie/hipster angle and say that much music is appreciated and loved because the musician is unknown. When they become known, the music loses its appeal and you look for the next cult band. The same could be said for mainstream music is basically listened to because of how famous the singer/band is artificially produced and advertised to be, and when they cease to be marketed in such a way that puts them in the public eye, the music loses its appeal.

LOL! Thats actually quite true

well said.

For me, the personalities of the musicians I listen to have very little impact on how much I listen to the music they make. They do, however, determine how likely I am to see them in concert. I have no real desire to see a live performance by someone who I think is more or less of a prick, unless the music they make sounds absolutely spectacular live.

You're so smart, Bryce. :smiley:

I think in my case, if I've already started listening to someone, then I find out they're not a great person, I'm more lenient with that, and I generally do a good job of not letting their personalities interfere with my listening experience. On the other hand, if I don't listen to a person, and if they do something I disagree with to the point of me being disgusted, I'm probably not going to ever try to listen to that person. In an interview clip I once saw, Lady Gaga mentioned that the one thing she likes in a guy is his size (you know, down below). After seeing that, I determined that she's a shallow person (and I dislike people like that), and I don't think I've been able to view her the same way ever since.

Beck is a Scientologist, Thom Yorke is a whiney ****, Jimi Hendrix beat up his girlfriend with a telephone and Iggy Pop has grown old far from gracefully.

There are a few bands who are OK that sometimes annoy me when they are overconfident for no good reason, although to counter that I like Noel Gallagher but not really his music.

Guest howyousawtheworld

I love Noel Gallagher. Glad he split up from Oasis so he can do his own thing.

Morrissey - think he's fantastic but bloody hell he's sensitive and awkward at times. That said he makes interviewers like Adrian Chiles squirm so that's fine by me. Seeing him on The One Show a couple of years back and you could feel the presenters were so tense interviewing him in case they said something he would make fun of or if he said something that would have to be heavily censored by Ofcom.

Nah. Thom Yorke is a douche but I still love what he does. I don't and will never know him personally so why would that affect my opinion of his music?

I never liked Chris Martin's personality and still I loved Coldplay.

Also, I could mention Ms. Deschanel and how much I like her, but I'm not fond of her music, it's just not the kind of music I listen to even if I think her voice is gorgeous.

With Alison Mosshart, it's weird. I like her. She has sexy written all over and she projects it in the music, performance and everytime I see her name in projects I feel dragged to it and tend to like it.

I love Noel Gallagher. Glad he split up from Oasis so he can do his own thing.

Morrissey - think he's fantastic but bloody hell he's sensitive and awkward at times. That said he makes interviewers like Adrian Chiles squirm so that's fine by me. Seeing him on The One Show a couple of years back and you could feel the presenters were so tense interviewing him in case they said something he would make fun of or if he said something that would have to be heavily censored by Ofcom.

took it upon myself to watch it. Wow. Thats all I can say.

In another interview the guy starts out with "Morrissey, its wonderful to meet you" and Morrissey says "Why?"

Guest howyousawtheworld
took it upon myself to watch it. Wow. Thats all I can say.

In another interview the guy starts out with "Morrissey, its wonderful to meet you" and Morrissey says "Why?"

Admittedly it's quite funny at times!

this happened to me with Roger Waters. not only is he an asshole but also lipsynchs his own songs. I used to have so much respect for him, but I've realized how phony he is and how much of a terrible musician he is too. I still love Pink Floyd though.

outside of that no one else I can think of

no, I think it shouldn't affect your point of veiw of the music , it would be a sham not to listen certain awesome music made by some stupid musicians, you just close your eyes and only try to enjoy the music, it's like god knows that I think Chris Martin is bloody sexy , and god: I love his music but I don't like his personality, he's whiny and stupid sometimes, or Kanye West he's one of the most talented artists of the last years but most of the time he's a d-bag