✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 'negative' ETIAW discussion

When i first heard ETIAW, i actually thought it was pretty decent, because i like electronic/dance sounds. However, pretty quickly i realised the song doesn't really 'go anywhere', it doesn't build up or change, it just kind of plods along. So it became uninteresting pretty quickly. I still thought it was a good tune though.

However, when i found out they used another song (they did at least credit the original artist, which is good), i simply couldn't listen to it the same way anymore - i mean, there's sampling, and then there's this. It almost strikes me as a cover tune, but the way it's got an original name, original lyrics, and yet is so dependent on someone else's song is pretty disheartening to me. I don't like the idea of coldplay having to use someone else's work to produce a single, they're better than that! :(

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree with this. Change is good, but sampling isn't change, it just... sucks...

And if you really want to take a sample you should take a rather unknown one, give credits of course but then listeners would not associate the song with crap like this: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV87-38W5R0&playnext=1&list=PLB01455BFB8838B95]YouTube - ‪MYSTIC - Ritmo de la Noche - Simon Cowell‬‏[/ame]

YouTube - ‪MYSTIC - Ritmo de la Noche - Simon Cowell‬‏[/url]

I'm not sure, i think it's ok to use a well known sample, but i think the most important thing about sampling is that it should be simply one element of the song, an addition, not the very backbone. Sampling should be like another instrument. Using it as the core, as ETIAW does, is less like sampling and more like covering the original.

When i think of a good sample, i think of using a snippet in moderation, to back up an original idea, or a recycled riff that has been twisted and manipulated into a whole new thing. But what coldplay seem to have done is kept the old song intact, and used it as the main riff... that's not what sampling should be IMO, it's just wholly unimaginative.

But the fact that this song relies so heavily on a sample, as well as the fact that it was never announced as a lead single, and album info was not released alongside it, makes me pretty certain that ETIAW will not be on LP5.

I'm not sure, i think it's ok to use a well known sample, but i think the most important thing about sampling is that it should be simply one element of the song, an addition, not the very backbone. Sampling should be like another instrument. Using it as the core, as ETIAW does, is less like sampling and more like covering the original.

When i think of a good sample, i think of using a snippet in moderation, to back up an original idea, or a recycled riff that has been twisted and manipulated into a whole new thing. But what coldplay seem to have done is kept the old song intact, and used it as the main riff... that's not what sampling should be IMO, it's just wholly unimaginative.

But the fact that this song relies so heavily on a sample, as well as the fact that it was never announced as a lead single, and album info was not released alongside it, makes me pretty certain that ETIAW will not be on LP5.

yes that's also right - the sample should not be the main topic of the song

An example for good sampling work in my opinion is Jenny from the block - bad song in itself but pimped up with some great samples from the 70s - and all the other popular RnB music from this time, in Rock music I cannot think of song which has a sample :thinking:

About ETIAW:

Bad lyrics, synth sound and stupid ripped melody makes me puke. As immature as it can be.

I can already imagine myself listening to LP5 and having a good time, then, for the final song, hearing the afwul synths kick in and ultimately being left with a bad feeling. A feeling I had after seeing their incredible performance yesterday, and I'm afraid I will have it again after their concert I'll attend at Rock Werchter next month. It's like having the best delicious multi-course meal, and then eating shit immediately afterwards. It's that taste that will be in your mouth and you'll feel as if you haven't eaten anything else, anything good. (Note: I have never eaten shit, I can only imagine what it tastes like.)

I lol'd

But you're right, this would be the worst album closer. It will never compare to Everything's Not Lost, Amsterdam, Twisted Logic, or Death and All His Friends.

not sure why everyone's assuming it would be a closer. Don't the drums at the end make it pretty clear that it's not?

I guess I could be wrong, but I believe there was an interview a while back where they said this would close the album.

I guess I could be wrong, but I believe there was an interview a while back where they said this would close the album.

I also have something like that in my mind....maybe afterwards there are some bonus tracks....or even a hidden track

When I first heard this song, with Chris singing "I turn the music up"...that just felt like a stab in the heart :( . A lot of people are saying that they are evolving, but I think they are truly degrading with this crap.

Ithink, comparing to the beginning Simple and Penetrating style, it has much more to add and interweaving - so is one's life - isn't it? Then, maybe next turn, you become more introverted and quiet again. The best dramas always have temporary beauty and tragic loss - heavier and heart-imprinted - yet, life also has other offerings whether that's the deepest moment nothing can compare. So, even I love the first album so much, I would be aside to witness how they've changed or grown. I would rather to see their every moment in the long flowing river of life, rather than picking the one that only Iprefer. Ilove this shared journey.

I really HATE this new song. And this is coming from someone who's never hated anything they've done. (Slightly disliked maybe, never hated.) It took them this long to come up with that crap? I get that they want to change and all that, but they lost the thing that made me love their music to begin with.

I really HATE this new song. And this is coming from someone who's never hated anything they've done. (Slightly disliked maybe, never hated.) It took them this long to come up with that crap? I get that they want to change and all that, but they lost the thing that made me love their music to begin with.

So true thanks for a great comment. I hope that people give me many comments after reading this. OK, my big thought was 3 years since Viva launched in 08 and this is it? I hated it and felt it was weak the first time I heard it compared to all their great songs before. Now after 4 days and 9 listens, I like the beginning and middle (still not a fan of the end) and I think it's better than their new songs they were playing live at the german festival (excluding Major Minus.) Some may disagree but their ringing guitars and tempo are too U2. Eno opened them up with Viva which I appreciate but now he's bled our beloved boys dry. Some people said they hate "now my feet won't touch the ground" I just think its just a weak song. This new acoustic song chris and will play is weak too. its sad to me how they can't do stripped down any more which is what all of parachutes was and was the basis for great songs "green eyes" and "a message".

Concert review I wished they'd go back to scientist, gpasuyf and politik live they did in 2006 twisted logic tour where chris did cool voice things with the crowd. If you were at these concerts you know what I'm talking about. Then in germany they played the new weak songs and went into "life is for living"!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a fan i watched the new songs and then saw that one played. The band needs to realize the differences between that old song and their new ones is HUGE. I mean HUGE. The lyrics, sound, all immensely better. And old coldplay is not the only coldplay, everyone likes spanish rain and christmas lights so I guess they need to get it together.

What do you agree or disagree with? Thanks guys. Byron

I just find it so frustrating when bands like Radiohead , Arctic Monkeys or even The xx can come up with fresh and exciting music, and still have relative commercial success. These bands sound cool and make you go 'wow that was different'. Where as Coldplay 'the biggest band in the world' make you think 'wow this sounds like fucking chris brown'. Its so aggravating. IN saying that though, the other songs in the live setlist do sound unique and interesting. Im not opposed to sampling or electronic music as long as its fresh and exciting, and in all honesty, ETIAW is not.:angry:

When I first heard this song, with Chris singing "I turn the music up"...that just felt like a stab in the heart :( . A lot of people are saying that they are evolving, but I think they are truly degrading with this crap.

Really? Stab in the heart? Classic example of people taking this waaayyyyy too seriously. Grow up, it's one song.

I just find it so frustrating when bands like Radiohead , Arctic Monkeys or even The xx can come up with fresh and exciting music, and still have relative commercial success. These bands sound cool and make you go 'wow that was different'. Where as Coldplay 'the biggest band in the world' make you think 'wow this sounds like fucking chris brown'. Its so aggravating. IN saying that though, the other songs in the live setlist do sound unique and interesting. Im not opposed to sampling or electronic music as long as its fresh and exciting, and in all honesty, ETIAW is not.:angry:

Artic Monkeys are an overrated pile of shit!

Really? Stab in the heart? Classic example of people taking this waaayyyyy too seriously. Grow up, it's one song.

Tell the fangirls (or fanboys) who are offended by criticism of the song to grow up, their reaction is more irrational. Coldplay is my favorite band, and I waited 3 years through a lot of hype for new material. They said they were going in a "new direction" and that the new stuff would be more acoustic and/or intimate. After about 10 seconds I was really disappointed.

Most (and I mean most, not all) of those praising the song only back it up by saying it is "positive" and "upbeat" and a "fun summer song", but when someone criticizes it (and by this, I mean criticizing the song for what it is, not insulting people or the band), they freak out and tell people "real fans appreciate it, if you don't like it go away." Which is stupid.

Artic Monkeys are an overrated pile of shit!

How can you say something like this when you criticize others for saying bad things, for example in the "Petition for ETIAW to Not Be On LP5" thread you called it "unbelievably immature." And on the "I'm going to leave this forum" thread you noted how people were being overly harsh and hateful, and that they need to think about the way they put their opinions across. Don't you think this is unnecessarily harsh/hateful?