✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 'negative' ETIAW discussion

Tell the fangirls (or fanboys) who are offended by criticism of the song to grow up, their reaction is more irrational. Coldplay is my favorite band, and I waited 3 years through a lot of hype for new material. They said they were going in a "new direction" and that the new stuff would be more acoustic and/or intimate. After about 10 seconds I was really disappointed.

Most (and I mean most, not all) of those praising the song only back it up by saying it is "positive" and "upbeat" and a "fun summer song", but when someone criticizes it (and by this, I mean criticizing the song for what it is, not insulting people or the band), they freak out and tell people "real fans appreciate it, if you don't like it go away." Which is stupid.

How can you say something like this when you criticize others for saying bad things, for example in the "Petition for ETIAW to Not Be On LP5" thread you called it "unbelievably immature." And on the "I'm going to leave this forum" thread you noted how people were being overly harsh and hateful, and that they need to think about the way they put their opinions across. Don't you think this is unnecessarily harsh/hateful?

Wow man. Bravo, Bravo :clap:

By the way, I think the new Arctic Monkeys Record is bloody brilliant

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the reason why I am so disappointed with it is because I was expecting it be something it wasn't. I first was thinking it could be something along the lines of acoustic, because as you said matts05, Chris has said the new album would be along the lines of intimate, and acoustic. The next thing I was thinking the song might be was a "punkish" song. I just got that kinda feel from the Artwork for the song, and the pictures of the band in the new clothes.

But instead we got a dance song..

I guess I was just too hyped from all the little teasers the band put out weeks prior. I applaud the band for going down a new path. I tend to enjoy things that are new, and fresh. Thats why I loved VLV so much. It was a new sound, to a familiar structure of songs the band are well known for. I always loved Coldplay for singing about big things in life. Talking about the good, the bad, and the mysterious. This song talks about dancing the night away.. (Hmmm)

I think this song will always be known for one of their biggest mistakes, like it or not. This song is just not my cup of tea.

it's awesome to see how quick there are like two sides, which seem to hardly be in contact with each other without making a lot of fuzz.

I really don't know how to feel about this single. It's not as good as I hoped, but then again, it makes me smile knowing there's new material.

but being the blue-helmet I am at the moment, please don't forget that we're all on this forum because of that one band*

*besides trolls =)

Coldplay is my favorite band, and I waited 3 years through a lot of hype for new material. They said they were going in a "new direction" and that the new stuff would be more acoustic and/or intimate. After about 10 seconds I was really disappointed.

Most (and I mean most, not all) of those praising the song only back it up by saying it is "positive" and "upbeat" and a "fun summer song", but when someone criticizes it (and by this, I mean criticizing the song for what it is, not insulting people or the band), they freak out and tell people "real fans appreciate it, if you don't like it go away." Which is stupid.

I agree with this, though I don't totally dislike the song. That said, what a real fan does in my opinion is trusting the guys, that does not mean welcoming whatever they release as if it was gold even when it's not that good, but thinking that if they wrote that song they had their reasons, be trying sth different, having a festival tune, or whatever, they had sth to express. I really can't understand those who question their skills in such a dramatic way for ONE song that they don't like, especially because the other new songs show the guys are still great.

Tell the fangirls (or fanboys) who are offended by criticism of the song to grow up, their reaction is more irrational. Coldplay is my favorite band, and I waited 3 years through a lot of hype for new material. They said they were going in a "new direction" and that the new stuff would be more acoustic and/or intimate. After about 10 seconds I was really disappointed.

I'm kind of impartial to the song. I didn't say if I like it or not. But going as far as to say the song made you cry or felt like "a stab in the heart" seems a little childish.

How can you say something like this when you criticize others for saying bad things, for example in the "Petition for ETIAW to Not Be On LP5" thread you called it "unbelievably immature." And on the "I'm going to leave this forum" thread you noted how people were being overly harsh and hateful, and that they need to think about the way they put their opinions across. Don't you think this is unnecessarily harsh/hateful?

Thank you for your post, I could not agree more. I'm more than willing to point out the exact reasons this song rubs me the wrong way. The lyrics are juvenile and a definite step backward, though unfortunately that seems to be a theme with most of the new songs. The music seems more than sampled, its nearly a direct copy, and its not pleasing to the ear, sounds like a cheap dance track from katie perry. The song goes nowhere, you keep waiting for it to take off and it just goes flat. I'm not hearing analysis like this from the people who love it so why they feel the need to brand people with a negative opinion as "not true fans" is beyond me.

And no the fact that its "pop" is not a problem for me, I happen to be a fan of hanson, a pop band to the core. My problem with the song is that its "bad pop" or in other words just a bad song.

Thank you for your post, I could not agree more. I'm more than willing to point out the exact reasons this song rubs me the wrong way. The lyrics are juvenile and a definite step backward, though unfortunately that seems to be a theme with most of the new songs. The music seems more than sampled, its nearly a direct copy, and its not pleasing to the ear, sounds like a cheap dance track from katie perry. The song goes nowhere, you keep waiting for it to take off and it just goes flat. I'm not hearing analysis like this from the people who love it so why they feel the need to brand people with a negative opinion as "not true fans" is beyond me.

And no the fact that its "pop" is not a problem for me, I happen to be a fan of hanson, a pop band to the core. My problem with the song is that its "bad pop" or in other words just a bad song.

You took the words right out of my mouth :lol:

so another one that is flagged/accused of plagiarism, and that one i have to agree with.

if i were chris, i'd save it doing a feat version with San Leon, at least they are a new band that sound like that from the very begin and do that sound much better and festive, thought with different lyrics.

seems to me after they got a xmas song to hit the tops of the charts, they want a summer song this time, all expected, pop sound for summer, who decides that? if it were good i'd be happy with a summer song that is all blues -to name another random less known music genre-.

btw why that one officially have another 2 authors?

only good news seems there's a bit more guitar.

I made an account on this site just to say that I am very disapointted in ETIAW single. I am disgusted of the repetetive melody and there is just too much everything and it feels like there is no beginning or an end. It is not played by finnish radio stations atleast so I hope that it is the same case all the over the world and they will react on ppl not liking it and can still prevent it from being on the LP5. On a side note I was very relieved when I heard Charlie Brown and Major minus, both are awesome.

Look at statistic on youtube, who are watching this crap again and again:

Audiences

This video is most popular with:

Gender Age

Female 13-17

Male 25-34

Male 35-44

In the first 2 days it was:

Male 25-34

Male 35-44

Male 13-17

Good job, Coldplay!

^Well this stats relative, but I think 13-17 male doesn't interested in Coldplayesque type of music, while more older male knows this band for previous albums and became supporters. Look at other coldplay video stats, almost all of them most watched by men. Of course youtube is more male friendly service, but still.

I don't get why some people would want Coldplay to do an 'acoustic album' at this point in their career. They're huge on a global scale, seem to be reaching for the stratosphere with the last album and this new single and some of you seem to want a retread back to a style they were doing at the start of their career - that's the enemy of creativity right there, rehashing former glories. I personally hope they keep moving forwards with this big new direction. They rock more than threy ever have done. The guitars are cranked up, the drumming is fast and furious, the vocals stratospheric, they're really 'going for it': what more could you want?

I don't get why some people would want Coldplay to do an 'acoustic album' at this point in their career. They're huge on a global scale, seem to be reaching for the stratosphere with the last album and this new single and some of you seem to want a retread back to a style they were doing at the start of their career - that's the enemy of creativity right there, rehashing former glories. I personally hope they keep moving forwards with this big new direction. They rock more than threy ever have done. The guitars are cranked up, the drumming is fast and furious, the vocals stratospheric, they're really 'going for it': what more could you want?

no theyre not entirely going to the acoustic route i think they just focused more on guiatar this time making sure each song has a guitar i think, but ofcourse still evolving musically in a good way.. so far ive seen that in their new songs...

Personally I want a stripped down album, and I think that's what a lot of other people also want. Less production.

Look at statistic on youtube, who are watching this crap again and again:

Audiences

This video is most popular with:

Gender Age

Female 13-17

Male 25-34

Male 35-44

In the first 2 days it was:

Male 25-34

Male 35-44

Male 13-17

Good job, Coldplay!

RUN 'WAY

I don't think it's as straightforward as saying that this track has a 'pop sound' - there's more going on in it than people seem to be acknowledging. It's just a taster anyway so you may get your wishes for a more 'stripped back sound' and less production. However, that's pretty dull these days - 4 instruments (including voice) and stripped back production. You need to try harder in the indie/rock world now. To draw a parallel with another very successful band - Would you rather this album sounded like 'Come Around Sundown' - fairly stripped-back and dull?